Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 9th March 2012, 12:48   #331
BHPian

Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Unrelated: my name finally came up in the lights (figuratively speaking). "Anoop lost 5 kg in 1.5 months", it says on the notice board of the gym I frequent (update: 6.5 kg in 3 months). Feels good!

Yes you feel good once you are appreciated for your efforts, Now my friends and relatives are behind me to stop all this and not to loose any more weight as they had never seen me like this before, they always saw me on chubbier side thought i used to be fit then also. Seeing me like this they feel I have become weak but yes I'm enjoying and this helps me in pushing myself. One day workout missed makes me feel guilty.

But yes sometimes that 5mins of early morning sleeps overpowers all other will powers.

Quote:
Absolutely correct. This is exactly what I was trying to say above. In the end the AIM is to make the stomach feel full. With what is your choice ranging from something nutritious like water + salad or something tasty like a double cheese dominos.
Please don't remind me of pizza, i promised myself a pizza only when i reach 84kgs from 92, now that I'm on 74 i have still not touched it, try to fight with my will power, lets see who wins will power or taste buds.

In the entire movie biggest culprit is 1st half of our tongue, taste is recognized only by 1st of our tongue and not by any other part, so if that can be controlled then many problems can be limited. This is my feeling.

Last edited by Gadgetfreak : 9th March 2012 at 12:54.
Gadgetfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 14:15   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
One should not drink water during a meal not because it screws up your digestive juices since that will in a way aid in losing weight ( read my post above). Rather what it really does is that it adds to the total volume of food you have taken in. Your stomach has to expand and dilate to accomodate all that volume. Now you can imagine how much expansion can a glass of water cause. Its quite substantial. Now our stomach has something called as stretch receptors which is a part of normal mechanism to make you stop eating. When the stomach starts accomodating the food you are eating it reaches a certain volume at which these receptors get stimulated. Now these will send a signal to your brain that its time to stop eating and the brain in return will make you feel full and you will cease eating. With water you are just causing your stomach to dilate forcefully. Doing this in and out every day will ultimately reset your receptors and they will get used to the dilated/ now increased volume before signalling the brain. As a result now next time you will not stop eating that third chapatti since your stomach can now accomodate more food. And on top of it you will drink water in the end and the vicious circle will continue.
Thanks for the explanation. But I could not understand the last line.

Once you have finished eating your daily quota of lets say 3 chapatis, what's the harm in having water after eating ? Do you mean to say that our brain will send an earlier/stronger hungry signal for the next meal if we drink water immediately after a meal ?

Also, lets say I have made up my mind that I will eat only 3 chapatis (I don't rely on the unreliable stop signal received from my misinformed brain). In such a case, is there any harm in having water with food ?

Apart from this feedback mechanism, is there any other factor that we are missing out ?

Also, any comments on warm water with lemon and honey in the morning. Does it really work ?

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 14:41   #333
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Thanks for the explanation. But I could not understand the last line.

Once you have finished eating your daily quota of lets say 3 chapatis, what's the harm in having water after eating ? Do you mean to say that our brain will send an earlier/stronger hungry signal for the next meal if we drink water immediately after a meal ?
Lets say you normally eat 3 chapatis. Now your stomach is used to that volume before sending its signals. When you drink water in the end you just add up on the total volume thereby gradually resetting the point at which you will feel full. So after lets say 2 months of doing this, if someone offers you a 4th chapati you might want to have it since you would no longer would feel full after the 3rd.

Quote:
Also, lets say I have made up my mind that I will eat only 3 chapatis (I don't rely on the unreliable stop signal received from my misinformed brain). In such a case, is there any harm in having water with food ?
See the whole thing is not that simple so I cannot effectively answer that. But tell me if you really believe that anyone has that strong a willpower? Lets say your favourite Alu parathas are on the menu. Or after the third chapati someone offers you a little helping of chicken biryani. I would most certainly succumb to it.
And trust me your brain is much more smarter than you give it credit for!
Quote:
Apart from this feedback mechanism, is there any other factor that we are missing out ?
This is not an all or none thing. There are millions of chemicals released and synapses being stimulated and deactivated. Its not important to this thread. You can ofcourse spend time on wikipedia I guess.

Quote:
Also, any comments on warm water with lemon and honey in the morning. Does it really work ?
Sorry no idea. I haven't given it much thought but I agree many people swear by it. Will try to find out what I can.

Last edited by drmohitg : 9th March 2012 at 14:43.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 14:49   #334
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
Please don't remind me of pizza, i promised myself a pizza only when i reach 84kgs from 92, now that I'm on 74 i have still not touched it, try to fight with my will power, lets see who wins will power or taste buds.
Why do that? Don't you indulge in the weekly cheat meal? Highly reccommended to preserve sanity in the time of dieting
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 14:58   #335
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Why do that? Don't you indulge in the weekly cheat meal? Highly reccommended to preserve sanity in the time of dieting
+1. Once a week you gotta pamper yourself. Otherwise whats the point of living ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
In the entire movie biggest culprit is 1st half of our tongue, taste is recognized only by 1st of our tongue and not by any other part, so if that can be controlled then many problems can be limited. This is my feeling.
Actually you should change that to the whole tongue right from the tip to the base . It reminds me of a hilarious joke too which would certainly get me an infarction if I share it here. Your Hint: It involved a teacher explaining taste buds.

MODS:Please delete the last line if inappropriate. My apologies.

Last edited by drmohitg : 9th March 2012 at 15:01.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 15:00   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster
Actually I end up eating out of my routine sometimes as i'm married and to maintain that married title I have to take my wife out for dinner our lunch buffets where we end up overeating.
Old 9th March 2012, 16:00   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Rohan
Hello Rohan,

I understand Dr Mohit is the best person to explain the facts here.

But yes, I would definitely swear on drinking Hot Water with Honey & Lemon. It has worked for me in past & I still continue it. Whenever I come back from a party or after eating a heavy meal, I generally drink a glass of Hot Water (or Black tea) with Honey & Lemon.

I also drink a glass of hot water everyday in morning. I have already point this to gadgetfreak today & also for your reference, please have a look at my before & after pictures on page 16 of this thread. You will see the reason why I swear by Hot Water with Lemon & Honey.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 16:10   #338
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if folks have read or practiced this. I read through a book called Born to Run written by Christopher McDougall do go through his videos and his writings. Truly eye opener.

Christopher McDougall | Born to Run | National Bestseller

Christopher McDougall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In his book McDougall asserts
  • Only Humans have the ability to perspire, i.e. only humans can cool their body down while they are running. No other animal or creature has this ability.
  • Modern cushioned running shoes are a major cause of running injury.
  • McDougall researches Tarahumara Indian tribe ability to run ultra distances 100 miles or more at incredible speeds.
  • McDougall postulates humans left the forests and moved to the savannas by developing the ability to run long distances in order to literally run down prey
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 16:37   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello Rohan,

I understand Dr Mohit is the best person to explain the facts here.

But yes, I would definitely swear on drinking Hot Water with Honey & Lemon. It has worked for me in past & I still continue it. Whenever I come back from a party or after eating a heavy meal, I generally drink a glass of Hot Water (or Black tea) with Honey & Lemon.

I also drink a glass of hot water everyday in morning. I have already point this to gadgetfreak today & also for your reference, please have a look at my before & after pictures on page 16 of this thread. You will see the reason why I swear by Hot Water with Lemon & Honey.

Thanks,

This combination is good and I have also tried, but the issue, atleast in my case is that honey and lemon create heat in stomach because of which I get blisters. I don't have any habbit of drinking or smoking still blisters frequently attack me, and the major reason for that is excessive heat in stomach or stomach upset, so I have stopped taking this combination and at least the frequency has gone down. Now I am not sure if it is really the reason or just a coincidence. Planning to start roohafza in water without any sugar as I love the taste of Roohafza, this way will start consuming more water.
Old 9th March 2012, 17:09   #340

Don't know about hot water part .. my poison is

wake up in morning and straight away boil water .. put coffee, one green -tea bag, one lemon , some honey and brew it for 15-20 min by that i am ready for gym and just a mug of this cocktail sets me up and running
parvezshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 19:32   #341
Senior - BHPian

about honey, salt and warm water. here are some basic facts. again, just common sense, you can complete your own research.

1. Salts and water have to be n a good balance in our body. Water and salt lost thru perspiration need to be replenished with water and salt. typically an adult human body can easily balance a glass or two of water, but beyond that having some snacks will help maintain the balance, else stick to saline solution (electrol etc)
2. Human core body temeprature is around 38C. a glass of hot or cold water is not going to make any difference, within a minute it will revert to it's optimal operating temperature.
2. at that temperature, the fats are ready to be digested. nothing is going to solidify or melt once in the stomach mixed with strong HCL.
3. Somebody needs to explain the logic behind honey. Also, IMHO Popular belief in ayurveda is honey should never be heated and always consumed cold.
4. Lemon is acidic, and on empty stomach it's going to cause acidity. aspirin etc taken with such concoction can make it much worse. I think the sole reason behind lemon is making the water more tasty than anything else.
5. IMHO benefit of having water, with lemon or otherwise is making one full and having less of other food. The other effect is increasing PH of stomach thus making it less acidic, preventing digestion and reducing absorption of nutrients.

Also, to all people trying to cut down on calories, why are you insisting on improved digestion/absorption when what you want is less nutrients being passed to your body?

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 9th March 2012 at 19:34.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2012, 20:52   #342
Team-BHP Support

I started cycling to work.

The best decision I made w.r.t to weight control.

I was wearing 38 inch waist size trousers last year.
None of them fit anymore. I had to move to size 36 because anything larger that is all my older trousers would look like they were borrowed/ hand me downs.

I like the idea of motivation pants. Buying a size smaller and using them for motivation. So I bought my self a 34 inch lee jeans. Was in a departmental store so did not bother with a trial room.

At home I surprised myself. They fit and fit very comfortably.

I don't really care about the weighing scales. But the trouser size. That is such a nice feeling.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 09:56   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I don't really care about the weighing scales. But the trouser size. That is such a nice feeling.
+1. Trouser size is a better way to judge a person's health, rather than body weight.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 10:14   #344
BHPian

Once I was struggling to gain weight, friends used to make fun of me "ur tummy is sticking to your back", no matter what I ate I never gained weight in college. 10 years later, 3 years into marriage im weighing 85kgs, 35" trouser size. I feel unhealthy. So i decide to first keep off oils, ghee, etc. I tried to start a exercise routine but my back seem to be taking the brunt.

Mainly started doing crunches, simple swings of upper body from side-to-side, bend down stand up, simple lunges on the legs. My back seem to go stiff while my abdomen seems okay. I stopped fearing that my back might be stressed.

Should I drop everything else and just do the crunches plus walking? Im 5'10" by the way.
Blue_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 10:21   #345
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
Mainly started doing crunches, simple swings of upper body from side-to-side, bend down stand up, simple lunges on the legs. My back seem to go stiff while my abdomen seems okay. I stopped fearing that my back might be stressed.

Should I drop everything else and just do the crunches plus walking? Im 5'10" by the way.
I would not recommend crunches if you main objective is to lose weight.

Walking is good.
Swimming is better.

A good game of badminton, squash or tennis is even better.

I am not mentioning group sports like cricket and football as its very easy to just chill out while the others play.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote