Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 24th April 2012, 10:47   #346
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
Should I drop everything else and just do the crunches plus walking? Im 5'10" by the way.
You could be straining your back while doing the crunches. It may be a better idea to just walk for about 2 weeks. Just try to increase the pace over time.

This will give your back some rest and time to get rid of the spasm if any. You could gradually start with the crunches again once you feel comfortable.

+1 to bblost.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 12:04   #347
Senior - BHPian

I joined the gym a week back. Till now I have had 4 sessions (only alternate days), including today's.

The purpose of joining the gym was to lose some weight & get fit!!!

My trainer has advised me to do ONLY cardio till the end of this month and from MAY, he would start some exercises.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 12:40   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I joined the gym a week back. Till now I have had 4 sessions (only alternate days), including today's.

The purpose of joining the gym was to lose some weight & get fit!!!

My trainer has advised me to do ONLY cardio till the end of this month and from MAY, he would start some exercises.
What is your current weight? and what's the target weight?

I have completely overhauled my lifestyle to achieve a better physique and fitness level. I am going to GYM seven days a week, have missed it only on 2 days after joining on the 5th of last month.

My weight as of yesterday while leaving the GYM was 108.440 kg this is whopping 7.4 kg less than my weight on the second/third day of Gym of 115.8 Kg. Apart from the weight loss I have seen tremendous improvement in my stamina. Initially even walking for 10 mins on treadmill was tough and now I can run/jog continuously for 20+ mins.
BANDHAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 12:50   #349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
What is your current weight? and what's the target weight?
I am currently 97 and I intend to lose atleast 10-15 kgs.

Quote:
I am going to GYM seven days a week, have missed it only on 2 days after joining on the 5th of last month.
Well, I dont mind going to the Gym for 6 days a week (my Gym is closed on Wednesday!) but my trainer advises me to come only on alternate days.

Quote:
My weight as of yesterday while leaving the GYM was 108.440 kg this is whopping 7.4 kg less than my weight on the second/third day of Gym of 115.8 Kg. Apart from the weight loss I have seen tremendous improvement in my stamina. Initially even walking for 10 mins on treadmill was tough and now I can run/jog continuously for 20+ mins.
That's simple amazing. I started with 7 minutes of crosstrainer, 10 minutes of cycling and 10 minutes of treadmill at low speeds.

Today I did 10 minutes of crosstrainer, 10 minutes of cycling and 20 minutes of treadmill at average speed of 7.0
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 08:28   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I am currently 97 and I intend to lose atleast 10-15 kgs.

Well, I dont mind going to the Gym for 6 days a week (my Gym is closed on Wednesday!) but my trainer advises me to come only on alternate days.

That's simple amazing. I started with 7 minutes of crosstrainer, 10 minutes of cycling and 10 minutes of treadmill at low speeds.

Today I did 10 minutes of crosstrainer, 10 minutes of cycling and 20 minutes of treadmill at average speed of 7.0
If Weightloss is the main goal, I recommend doing HIIT over time consuming low intensity cardio excercises that are not very effective. Bear in mind , HIIT is very straining and much tougher than doing a 20 minute+ low intensity cardio session.

HIIT stands for High Intensity Interval Training . To Start with, pick a machine you are comfortable(I recommend cycling). Start with a low intensity 2-4 minute warm up, then do an all out sprint(at least 80-90% intensity) for 30 seconds, then rest (low intensity) for 1 minute. This is one rep. Do 10 reps and you will be shattered.

If you find it hard to start off with , do 30 second sprints with 90 second rests. Stick with this for atleast 2 weeks , then up the intensity to 45 second sprints and 1 minute rests and so on. Do it on alternate days because your body needs rest since more muscles fatigue and they fatigue faster.

More Info - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-in...erval_training , http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=HIIT

Last edited by akshayasok : 26th April 2012 at 08:30. Reason: links
akshayasok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 09:54   #351
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshayasok View Post
If Weightloss is the main goal, I recommend doing HIIT over time consuming low intensity cardio excercises that are not very effective. Bear in mind , HIIT is very straining and much tougher than doing a 20 minute+ low intensity cardio session.

HIIT stands for High Intensity Interval Training . To Start with, pick a machine you are comfortable(I recommend cycling). Start with a low intensity 2-4 minute warm up, then do an all out sprint(at least 80-90% intensity) for 30 seconds, then rest (low intensity) for 1 minute. This is one rep. Do 10 reps and you will be shattered.

If you find it hard to start off with , do 30 second sprints with 90 second rests. Stick with this for atleast 2 weeks , then up the intensity to 45 second sprints and 1 minute rests and so on. Do it on alternate days because your body needs rest since more muscles fatigue and they fatigue faster.

More Info - High-intensity interval training - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , Bodybuilding.com - HIIT Articles!
This really helps! I've been doing a more extreme version of this for about 4 months now.

What I do is this: 20 secs of sprinting, 10 secs rest. 20 secs sprint, 10 secs rest.

I do about 8 cycles (or 4 minutes). At the end of that, I am DEAD! But I dont stop. Then continue at a somewhat lower intensity for another 15 minutes or so. Super effective fat burning.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 10:06   #352
Distinguished - BHPian

err I thought intervals came AFTER one has built an aerobic base? Or you recommend a jolly drinking smoking pizza munching pot bellied chap to just go out and start doing intervals?

/honestly. curious.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 11:11   #353
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
err I thought intervals came AFTER one has built an aerobic base? Or you recommend a jolly drinking smoking pizza munching pot bellied chap to just go out and start doing intervals?

/honestly. curious.
That's exactly what I did. I was ridiculously unfit and fat and just went out there and started doing HIIT.

At that time, I couldnt actually complete the enture 4 min workout but in a matter of days I could feel my stamina start to improve.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 12:03   #354
BHPian

Quote:

+1 for this, highly effective specifically for weight loss. I do alternative 6.5kmph and 10kmph on the treadmill. Need to start increasing the upper range.
superutp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 12:13   #355
Team-BHP Support

I have stopped focusing on weight loss and instead now concentrating on increasing stamina, higher intensity of workouts, muscle gain, inch loss and overall health and well-beng. While it seems like a very "global" statement to make, the fact is that after a very rigid diet/exercise regimen for 6 weeks when I lost nearly 7 kg, I had started feeling a little weak and hungry all the time, so eased up a bit on the diet and have been maintaining my weight steady, with some fluctuations, since then.

On the positive side, I am full of energy now and have really begun enjoying my workouts. The weight training is helping me build strength as well. And the plus point is that everyone has started commenting on how much better I look!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 13:34   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
I am going to GYM seven days a week, have missed it only on 2 days after joining on the 5th of last month.
Did your trainer ask you to work out 7 days a week? In my opinion, one needs to rest at least one day every week so the body can recover sufficiently.
Exercising builds muscle. Muscle needs rest to repair itself. Granted, weight training builds more muscle than cardio work (running, cycling, swimming, etc), and so rest is even more important. Just my 2 cents
chikkars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 14:00   #357
BHPian

I am 6' 2 almost and weigh 86 kilos [27years old guy]. 5 days a week i walk briskly for 30 mins and weekends i run for 35 mins without breaks. I really can't cut down eating outside but i take note not to overeat after 7pm. This regime has worked for me as i was able to cut down my weight from 97kgs two years back.

The point is one needs to perform a strenuous activity atleast two times a week, otherwise the body adjusts itself accordingly.
falcon009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 15:15   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
+1 for this, highly effective specifically for weight loss. I do alternative 6.5kmph and 10kmph on the treadmill. Need to start increasing the upper range.
When I started intervals, I was doing alternate 6km/h and 12km/h for 30 minutes. Now I have upped the speeds to 7km/h and 14km/h, but no matter how much I try, I can't do it for more than 20 minutes. Looks like I am hitting a wall.

HIIT is good to improve cardio-vascular fitness and endurance, but ideally it should be combined with long cardio sessions too, say intervals twice a week and a long run once or twice a week.
johnjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 15:50   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob View Post
When I started intervals, I was doing alternate 6km/h and 12km/h for 30 minutes. Now I have upped the speeds to 7km/h and 14km/h, but no matter how much I try, I can't do it for more than 20 minutes. Looks like I am hitting a wall.

HIIT is good to improve cardio-vascular fitness and endurance, but ideally it should be combined with long cardio sessions too, say intervals twice a week and a long run once or twice a week.
Hitting a 20 minute wall is fine , I always make sure I dont do HIIT for more than 15-20 (It will end up burning ur muscles for fuel). I would recommend upping the intensity such that you can do 80-90% sprints for 90 seconds and rest 30 seconds. HIIT leads to overall health improvement , whether it be endurance, stamina, explosive power etc. I say the best thing to combine HIIT is with weight training, low cardio sessions are not going to get you anywhere and sometimes is counter-productive because we end up thinking ,since I did cardio for an hour, I can eat whatever I want and you may end up burning your muscles for fuel.

Dont be scared of lifting, starting small is fine, ignore what everyone else is doing. A 45 minute session will do wonders for you mentally and physically. If you dont have the time for a 45 minute session, try supersets. A Set of 2 intense excercises followed directly after one another in which, you train opposing groups of muscle , for eg Biceps and Triceps. You can also do Upper body combined with lower body. Again, very intense and you will be destroyed pretty quickly. A 20 minute session would be more than enough.

More than all of this, your diet is the most important factor . For a great body ,Nutrition =70% and your exercise regimen = 30%, I cannot stress this enough and this where is most Indians fail as well(considering our insane amount of carb consumption)

Btw I am in Bangalore as well, which Gym do you goto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
I find it really hard to do HIIT on an electric treadmill since you need push some buttons to lower the speed. Might I recommend increasing the incline for quicker gains. Work smarter not harder

Last edited by akshayasok : 26th April 2012 at 15:58.
akshayasok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 10:36   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Dont be scared of lifting, starting small is fine, ignore what everyone else is doing. A 45 minute session will do wonders for you mentally and physically. If you dont have the time for a 45 minute session, try supersets. A Set of 2 intense excercises followed directly after one another in which, you train opposing groups of muscle , for eg Biceps and Triceps. You can also do Upper body combined with lower body. Again, very intense and you will be destroyed pretty quickly. A 20 minute session would be more than enough.
Hi Akshay,

I do weights too. But lighter weights at 3-4 sets of 12-15 reps, I want to tone and strengthen my muscles to avoid injury, but without bulking up excessively. It also depends on your goals. I would like to run a half-marathon someday, and it isn't possible to do that without also doing long cardio sessions. Intervals are necessary for that, but not sufficient.

Also, I don't think you can burn your muscles for fuel unless you are doing cardio to the level where you drop down dead. We first use glycogen from our liver, and most people store more than a thousand calories worth of glycogen. Then we burn fat, and only after that do we start to use muscle.

Quote:
More than all of this, your diet is the most important factor . For a great body ,Nutrition =70% and your exercise regimen = 30%, I cannot stress this enough and this where is most Indians fail as well(considering our insane amount of carb consumption)
Absolutely agree. Diet is the most important thing to watch.

Quote:
Btw I am in Bangalore as well, which Gym do you goto?
I go to the Talwalkar's gym in Cosmos Mall, Brookefield. What about you?

Quote:
I find it really hard to do HIIT on an electric treadmill since you need push some buttons to lower the speed. Might I recommend increasing the incline for quicker gains. Work smarter not harder
Many treadmills have a programmable interval mode where you can enter the work speed, recovery speed and duration, and it will do the rest. However, the treadmills at my gym don't allow us to tune the work and recovery durations.

I absolutely agree on the incline aspect. Do some hill runs at maximum incline to avoid shin splints.
johnjacob is offline   Reply With Quote