Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 27th April 2012, 14:02   #361
BHPian

Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

I have recently started using the threadmill in my effort to shed some extra flab i had put on. I typically run at a speed of 8 or 9 for around 20 minutes. Now after the run i get a slight pain in the knee area. Is this normal in the initial period of use of the threadmill or is it something i should be concerned about?
motortechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 14:37   #362
Senior - BHPian

johnjacob/everyone on this thread:

Getting bulked up while lifting weights is a myth. (= looking like incredible Hulk)

People who become really large because of lifting are either genetically predisposed (in which case they would be already large naturally) or enhanced (you know its the hormones in your body that are responsible for growth).

If you wish to see how you would look at the peak of lifting weights - you must compare yourself to a similar height + weight category weightlifter* or a track athlete* (100m sprinters, sh0t put, discuss, hammer, javelin -anything that involves short bursts of maximal efforts).

Of course I can eat junk and look like Santa Clause while lifting heavy weights.
But that's not because of lifting weights ... and I am sure everyone is aware of that.

* Again keep in mind that these people are genetically much better in physical pursuits than common public

Last edited by alpha1 : 27th April 2012 at 15:03.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 15:02   #363
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motortechie View Post
I have recently started using the threadmill in my effort to shed some extra flab i had put on. I typically run at a speed of 8 or 9 for around 20 minutes. Now after the run i get a slight pain in the knee area. Is this normal in the initial period of use of the threadmill or is it something i should be concerned about?
Please stop before you kill your knees.

Instead use the incline function and walk (don't run) for 20-30 mins daily. Inclines exercise the hips without taxing your knees. Also mix it up with some cross trainer, elliptical, stepping, exercycle etc. A total active time of 40-50 minutes at least 3 times a week should work wonders.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 15:51   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Its definitely not normal. The reason can be either with your shoes or your running posture.
falcon009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 15:59   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Where exactly in the knee area? How are your shoes? New or Old. Get some cushioning. Usually if the muscles are not strong enough, you get the pain. Try to gradually strengthen it.

Try to reduce the speed also.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 16:34   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob View Post
Hi Akshay,

I do weights too. But lighter weights at 3-4 sets of 12-15 reps, I want to tone and strengthen my muscles to avoid injury, but without bulking up excessively. It also depends on your goals. I would like to run a half-marathon someday, and it isn't possible to do that without also doing long cardio sessions. Intervals are necessary for that, but not sufficient.

Also, I don't think you can burn your muscles for fuel unless you are doing cardio to the level where you drop down dead. We first use glycogen from our liver, and most people store more than a thousand calories worth of glycogen. Then we burn fat, and only after that do we start to use muscle.

Absolutely agree. Diet is the most important thing to watch.

I go to the Talwalkar's gym in Cosmos Mall, Brookefield. What about you?

Many treadmills have a programmable interval mode where you can enter the work speed, recovery speed and duration, and it will do the rest. However, the treadmills at my gym don't allow us to tune the work and recovery durations.

I absolutely agree on the incline aspect. Do some hill runs at maximum incline to avoid shin splints.
Exactly like alpha said just because you lift weights doesnt mean you bulk up, its also one of those widely accepted myths . Becoming massive needs a lot more than lifting weights , u need extra supplements combined with possibly steroids, Ask any bodybuilder , chances are they do something to boost their growth. Its not natural. What is natural is that we gain strength and burn calories.

On the point of burning muscles , I forgot to add that it applies if you are on a low carb diet(I definitely recommend everyone to be on one) and you would have very low Glycogen stores to start off with .

I am at Gold's Gym in Indiranagar

And for anyone aiming to lose weight the only equation u need to know is that , Calorie Spent - Calorie In = Calorie Deficit = Weight loss

1kg = 3850kcal(roughly) , so create a calories deficit of 500 everyday and you will be well on your way to lose 1kg each week
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
johnjacob/everyone on this thread:

Getting bulked up while lifting weights is a myth. (= looking like incredible Hulk)

People who become really large because of lifting are either genetically predisposed (in which case they would be already large naturally) or enhanced (you know its the hormones in your body that are responsible for growth).

If you wish to see how you would look at the peak of lifting weights - you must compare yourself to a similar height + weight category weightlifter* or a track athlete* (100m sprinters, sh0t put, discuss, hammer, javelin -anything that involves short bursts of maximal efforts).

Of course I can eat junk and look like Santa Clause while lifting heavy weights.
But that's not because of lifting weights ... and I am sure everyone is aware of that.

* Again keep in mind that these people are genetically much better in physical pursuits than common public
Quote:
That doesnt sound normal, try reducing the speed to arnd 5 and increase the incline. Try walking for 10 minutes and if you still experience pain, get a trainer to help you will your form.

Last edited by akshayasok : 27th April 2012 at 16:37.
akshayasok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 12:17   #367
BHPian

Is there any safe drug / diet which can burn more calories or increase the BMI.

On an average a male burns 2000 kcal doing nothing in a day.
Staying away from carbohydrates will reduce fat deposition?
Is calorie control better than carbohydrate control or vise-verse?

I want to know whether I can cut rice and add only meat to my diet. Any day I don't mind meat to rice

I stopped eating dinner for 1 month and reduced 4 Kg with no increase in any activity.
Everybody is different and we need to know what works for our body and follow it.

Weight maintenance is a constant everyday process and I am struggling to add a workout regime.

I hear lot of apps on the phone to watch weight, pedometer, alcohol meter, calorie chart and so on can help in the process
Visaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 12:20   #368
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Do you hold on to anything (including support beams in the treadmill) for support while running?
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 16:04   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As a regular long distance runner, let me first congratulate you on your resolve to start running and actually doing so.

If your weight is over 80Kgs or BMI over 30, I would say slow down. Rather than the treadmill, get out on the road or the track and do a 7.30Min/Km - 8:00Min/Km pace. Slow down in between and vary your pace. Also please stretch properly before and after the run.

For people starting out on running, the typical areas that pain are the shins and knees. You need to strengthen them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post

I want to know whether I can cut rice and add only meat to my diet. Any day I don't mind meat to rice

I stopped eating dinner for 1 month and reduced 4 Kg with no increase in any activity.
Everybody is different and we need to know what works for our body and follow it.

Weight maintenance is a constant everyday process and I am struggling to add a workout regime.

I hear lot of apps on the phone to watch weight, pedometer, alcohol meter, calorie chart and so on can help in the process
Yes there is a drug. Its called Sugar. White Processed Sugar. Remove that from your life.

A trailer from a documentary for something to ponder over

Also a lot of times, BMI is not the correct indicator of weight especially for those who have a muscular body. Check out Waist to Height ratio http://www.health-calc.com/body-comp...o-height-ratio

P.S: I was 82Kgs when I started running in September and even though I went down to 69Kgs in March, irregular training has had me in the70-71Kg range. And all this without any dieting. Just streamlined my food intake rather than reducing it.

Last edited by MileCruncher : 28th April 2012 at 16:13.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 17:43   #370
BHPian

Quote:

Dont do drugs, No but seriously I would recommend trying any of the supplements promising "fat loss", however, if you really want to start of with something taking CLA is a good one.

For diet I recommend going on a Ketogenic diet, if you want fat loss specifically. Try this for further guidance reddit.com: help

BMI is Body Mass Index(Merely a ratio and IMO doesnt reflect your true fitness, unless you are obese) , you probably mean BMR which is Basal Metabolic Rate. Maintenance calories always depend on your activity levels as well , so if you want to increase , be more active . Use this to calculate your BMR BMR Calculator

Not all males do that , depends on your BMR and activity level. Recommend using the Harris-Benedict equation equation to get your approx maintenance cals. Then play around with that number till you find an ideal cal deficit stage.

Yes Staying away from carbohydrates will reduce fat deposition.

You Need to be doing both. Calorie Control and Low Carb Diet. Calorie deficiency helps you lose weight, carb control helps you lose fat . Combine together for an ideal body.

Go Ahead and cut rice right now and add meat , I havent had rice in about 3 years. There is no essential nutrient that is in rice that you will ever miss out on.

Stopping dinner may/may not be a good idea depending on what you call dinner. Naan/Rice, combined with dal or anything would be best avoided, However, having a medium rare grilled steak with some steamed veggies would be on top of my list for an ideal dinner. But if that worked for you, well done. The problem with cutting a meal is that you would end up not being able to stick to the diet plan for long enough.

Btw Diet doesnt mean starvation, it merely refers to what you eat.

Like I suggested in my earlier posts, weight lifting and HIIT are great workout regimes for anyone.

Apps like MyFitnessPal help you count calories and many other apps try to help you keep track of your workouts and food intake. They make a huge difference if you use them properly.
Old 28th April 2012, 17:44   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

There is a reason why it is Basal Metabolic rate, and it is different for everyone. That is because it is arrived at by equalizing various hormones in your body.

Anything that changes this equilibrium will increase / decrease your metabolism. = TSH, thyroxine (T4) and T3 hormones.

If you take something to play around with this balance - your body may be able to take it, however, note that all hormones operate on a negative feedback loop. And your body will try to bring the hormones back to the earlier equilibrium.

Also note that equilibrium of such hormones exist BECAUSE that is most comfortable to our bodies. Any changes may be sustained by the body, however only for a limited period.

So it is generally unsafe playing around with this.
Now coming to green tea, coffee, etc - these have minuscule effect on metabolism. You will initially have raised metabolism, but as soon as your body becomes used to caffeine - it lowers its natural metabolism.

You want something effective: Ephedrine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
But keep in mind, such things are tolerable (to the body) only for a while.
This is taken more commonly as ECA (ECA stack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Now coming to your question about carbs.
For our bodies - proteins and fats MAKE up our body.
So you should never cut these down.

Carbs do not make our bodies - carbs are only used as fuel.
So when you wish to lower the calorie intake - reduce carbs.
Simple carbs = sugars should be avoided completely, because they are digested "instantaneously" - and if the body does not require those calories immediately, it is filed in "fat storage" folder.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 17:50   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
A trailer from a documentary for something to ponder over
(...)
+1, Really admire anyone who finds running enjoyable or better yet, do it everyday. Not matter how hard I have tried , I have always hated it.

Note from Team-BHP Support: please do not quote large posts in their entirety. It makes it difficult for our small screen users.

Last edited by noopster : 29th April 2012 at 08:55. Reason: Please refer mod note in post
Old 29th April 2012, 11:43   #373
Mtv
BHPian

I'm surprised that no one's talked about hormonal imbalances and insulin sensitivity in this thread. Most of your actions towards losing fat would be in vain if you don't tend to those two issues at first.
Mtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2012, 12:43   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
If your weight is over 80Kgs or BMI over 30, I would say slow down. Rather than the treadmill, get out on the road or the track and do a 7.30Min/Km - 8:00Min/Km pace. Slow down in between and vary your pace. Also please stretch properly before and after the run.
I was almost 116 kg when I joined the gym in the beginning of the last month, I started with a lots of a cardiovascular exercises including running on treadmill. Initially I used to get exhausted after 10 mins of running/walking but now I can easily jog for more than 20+ mins with basic cut off speed of 8 kmph.

Initially I experienced strain on my feet but my old sports shoes seems to be the main culprit as I haven't experienced it after getting myself a new pair of Reebok running shoes. Yesterday only, I was not feeling like running, so I walked at the constant speed of 7 kmph with 0.15 incline for almost 35 mins.

Now the question is, I maybe not facing any problem currently but are there chances of me sustaining injury in long run due to this combination of my high weight and treadmill running??

PS: My weight is down to 109 kg. I really enjoy running/jogging/walking and intend to participate and complete some marathon.
BANDHAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2012, 14:19   #375
Team-BHP Support

To each his own but in my opinion, 8 kmph is too much for an obese person starting cold. I have been exercising for about 5 months now and prefer inclines and medium speed (<6 kmph) instead of outright running. Low-intensity cardio is always preferable in the long term.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote