Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 29th April 2012, 14:48   #376
BHPian

Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Though going by BMI calculation I am surely obese but just for the records I don't look the part. I am pretty sure most of us imagine a big round guy with big belly on hearing 116 kg weight but with my 6 feet+ height I am usually considered well built. People find it a real hard to believe that I actually weigh on the wrong side of 100 kg.

Two days back when I was weighing myself after the exercising one of my fellow female Gymer saw my weight and she was shocked to see it at 109. She then told me that she always assumed that I must be around 90 kg.
BANDHAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 12:30   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
.... I tried to start a exercise routine but my back seem to be taking the brunt.

Mainly started doing crunches, simple swings of upper body from side-to-side, bend down stand up, simple lunges on the legs. My back seem to go stiff while my abdomen seems okay. I stopped fearing that my back might be stressed.

Should I drop everything else and just do the crunches plus walking? Im 5'10" by the way.
I did something similar and am rueing it now since it has taken a toll on my back (muscle spasm). You should first and foremost strengthen your core before embarking on any other excercise routine. The back being the most used and abused portion of the anatomy usually starts giving problems if you stress it by doing strenuous excercises without first strengthening it. You also need to correct your posture and strengthen the stomach muscles which will aid the back muscles.
Ideally you should consult a physio who will be able to guide you on a back and core strengthening routine.
shreeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 13:43   #378
BHPian

Very Interesting thread. Lucky to chance upon this. I am also trying to lose weight quite desperately - was 83 kilos last year, and was at 92 at the beginning of the year. Sustained running, and now a little bit of weights see me at 87.

There is a fantastic website called mysparkpeople and it does have apps for a variety of devices. I use an Iphone and also ran a course on adidas micoach. And for those into interval training, it might help to look up podintervals pod cast - available for download as mp3

The best part of my current effort is that I have lost weight without giving up on my diet. THere are days when I have had close to quarter of KG of Naturals icecream, without effecting my weight.

Nowadays I kidna run/walk 3 days a week for 5kms or so and work out three days a week. My only problem with weights is that my back screws up badly if i even barely over do it.

Currentlly suffering from a back /neck spasm-sprain, and maybe will be out of gym for a week, but will continue running. Any medicines that you all would recommend - a friend recommended miospaz - but reading its side effects has me scared and put me off from taking

Last edited by an_and : 1st May 2012 at 13:46.
an_and is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 21:17   #379
Senior - BHPian

Guys do you recommend any specific shoes for running?

How good is the new Reebok Flex and Zigfly range?

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Where exactly in the knee area? How are your shoes? New or Old. Get some cushioning....

Will holding anything make a difference? and how?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Do you hold on to anything (including support beams in the treadmill) for support while running?
So would you recommend a slow speed incline over running? if you dont mind, can i ask howmuch weight you have lost in the last 5 months? Just some inspiration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
To each his own but in my opinion, 8 kmph is too much for an obese person starting cold. I have been exercising for about 5 months now and prefer inclines and medium speed (<6 kmph) instead of outright running. Low-intensity cardio is always preferable in the long term.

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 1st May 2012 at 21:30.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 21:38   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Guys do you recommend any specific shoes for running?

How good is the new Reebok Flex and Zigfly range?
after many years of experiments with various Nike and Reebok shoes, i felt comfortable with ASICS - this brand is surely the best for running shoes and i would never go back to Nike/Reebok/Adidas kinds. do a bit of googling around it.
another good brand is Saucony, not sure whether available in India or not.
infotech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 12:13   #381
Team-BHP Support

I posted this in 21st October 2011, 12:34
Quote:
I currently weigh in at 96 kilos.

Since cycling is something that I love and can do everyday. I am gonna keep at it.
Today morning I weighed in 92.1
But my overall fitness is very good. Cycling 17+ kms in peak summer without a break. 35 + kms in a day at least twice a week.

Quote:
Will holding anything make a difference? and how?
Your Balance and posture is messed up.
The effectiveness of the running exercise is also compromised.

Last edited by bblost : 2nd May 2012 at 12:15.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 12:16   #382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
after many years of experiments with various Nike and Reebok shoes, i felt comfortable with ASICS - this brand is surely the best for running shoes and i would never go back to Nike/Reebok/Adidas kinds. do a bit of googling around it.
Guys check out the vivo barefoot at www.highline.in. Seems to be a good concept, am eagerly awaiting for them to be available in Mumbai.
an_and is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 12:19   #383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
The ASICS shoes are available online, but any place in mumbai where i can try them?

Quote:
I posted this in 21st October 2011, 12:34

Today morning I weighed in 92.1
But my overall fitness is very good. Cycling 17+ kms in peak summer without a break. 35 + kms in a day at least twice a week.
Thats great work!!

Quote:
Your Balance and posture is messed up.
The effectiveness of the running exercise is also compromised.
Even when one is walking on a serious incline at the speed of 6 - 6.5 ??

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 2nd May 2012 at 12:21.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 12:26   #384
BHPian

Quote:
The ASICS shoes are available online, but any place in mumbai where i can try them?
Reliance Footprint carries them in stores.
If you wear wide shoes, they are not available yet; only standard width is available in ASICS in India.

Last edited by infotech58 : 2nd May 2012 at 12:27.
infotech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 12:30   #385
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Even when one is walking on a serious incline at the speed of 6 - 6.5 ??
Stop Holding On when on the Treadmill

For more info google for
Holding Treadmill Walking

A treadmill is a walking simulator. Do you hold on to anything while walking.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 13:37   #386
Distinguished - BHPian

any barefoot walkers here?
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:40   #387
BHPian

Came across hungryforchange.tv http://hungry for change.tv
Guys give it a see. It talks about not only weight loss, but, healthy living which will naturally lead to weight loss. A great watch.

PS. All the stuff is available on torrentz.eu

Last edited by neel385 : 2nd May 2012 at 16:45.
neel385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:54   #388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post

Now the question is, I maybe not facing any problem currently but are there chances of me sustaining injury in long run due to this combination of my high weight and treadmill running??
If possible, try running outdoors - on asphalt, trail etc. Not on hard surfaces like concrete.

Listen to your body - take a look at this article Running Injury Free: The Basics of Jogging .

All the best in your running program. Running is something I really love - I do about 9km/1hr every alternate day at a comfortable pace.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 2nd May 2012 at 17:13.
sdp1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 20:10   #389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
any barefoot walkers here?
I prefer barefoot walking, once I played tennis and got calluses and a blister too, kinda awsome . Tried to jog but it was hurting my bones so I stopped.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2012, 08:30   #390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtv View Post
I'm surprised that no one's talked about hormonal imbalances and insulin sensitivity in this thread. Most of your actions towards losing fat would be in vain if you don't tend to those two issues at first.
Yes, actually i also have the same doubt. If you take my case, i am overweight right from my childhood and off late overweight have turned obese as far my BMI is concerned. Now how do i come to a conclusion about the hormonal imbalance. When i was talking to a doctor regarding this, i was asked to carry out the Full testosterone test (exactly do not know the name).
rki2007 is online now   Reply With Quote