Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2012, 00:36   #406
BHPian
 
superutp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 408
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshayasok View Post
IMO There is no perfect answer because as long as u workout with the same intensity the calorie burn should be almost the same. If you sweat more using the unventilated one you do burn more calories, but only a negligible increase. Significant calorie burn is due to exertion not due to sweat.Personally, I never use ventilated equipment since I always estimate a good work out by how*much I sweat. So carry On as long as its the same intensity

Edit - what is your rep count like for a 30-45 minute HIIT session?
Hmmmm, if the calories difference is negligible then I rather focus more on the ventilated treadmill as I can put more effort on it.

My HIIT sessions generally is as follows-
warmup for 2-3 mins then 6.5kmph alternates with 10/10.5 kmph for 20-30mins. Then its 3-4 mins of continuous 8.5 kmph and then cool down. Its generally based on how much energy I have left after a day's work. However, as my stamina increases my speed increases but, the time stays the same. I also do weights after my HIIT so I need to keep energy for that.

Any suggestions on how I can do better?
superutp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 00:45   #407
BHPian
 
akshayasok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: MCR,GVA,TVM,BGR
Posts: 44
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Hmmmm, if the calories difference is negligible then I rather focus more on the ventilated treadmill as I can put more effort on it.

My HIIT sessions generally is as follows-
warmup for 2-3 mins then 6.5kmph alternates with 10/10.5 kmph for 20-30mins. Then its 3-4 mins of continuous 8.5 kmph and then cool down. Its generally based on how much energy I have left after a day's work. However, as my stamina increases my speed increases but, the time stays the same. I also do weights after my HIIT so I need to keep energy for that.

Any suggestions on how I can do better?
Yes sure , do what you find comfortable, just make sure you do exert yourself
So is it 2:1 ratio rest:sprint? Like 1 minute 6.5 and 30 seconds 10.5? I do something similar but I do HIIT on alternate days and weight training on days without HIIT, avoiding overtraining and making sure I can put maximum effort while lifting. If you do have the time, I would recommend this so that you can lose the fat and build muscle effectively, keeping in mind you should be on a healthy diet.
akshayasok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 00:56   #408
BHPian
 
superutp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 408
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshayasok View Post
Yes sure , do what you find comfortable, just make sure you do exert yourself
So is it 2:1 ratio rest:sprint? Like 1 minute 6.5 and 30 seconds 10.5? I do something similar but I do HIIT on alternate days and weight training on days without HIIT, avoiding overtraining and making sure I can put maximum effort while lifting. If you do have the time, I would recommend this so that you can lose the fat and build muscle effectively, keeping in mind you should be on a healthy diet.
Its actually been 1.5:1 initially which has now changed to 1:1 i.e. 1 min 6.5 and 1 min 10/10.5. When my stamina builds more I plan for an 6.5 and >10.5 ratio. I used to do a lot better but laziness/work stuff restricted me from the gym for a few months/years.

My weights training lasts 30 mins max but this is mainly because I am trying to loose weight for now. As I understand, getting your muscles strengthened helps in burning more calories and also increasing stamina.

If you look at my BMI, I should be clinically obese, however, I dont feel/look the same.

EDIT: Healthy Diet? haha, thats really what makes the difference!!

Last edited by superutp : 6th May 2012 at 01:03.
superutp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 01:05   #409
BHPian
 
akshayasok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: MCR,GVA,TVM,BGR
Posts: 44
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Its actually been 1.5:1 initially which has now changed to 1:1 i.e. 1 min 6.5 and 1 min 10/10.5. When my stamina builds more I plan for an 6.5 and >10.5 ratio. I used to do a lot better but laziness/work stuff restricted me from the gym for a few months/years.

My weights training lasts 30 mins max but this is mainly because I am trying to loose weight for now. As I understand, getting your muscles strengthened helps in burning more calories and also increasing stamina.

If you look at my BMI, I should be clinically obese, however, I dont feel/look the same.
Wow that's great , might I suggest increasing the incline , since you have already hit 1:1 ratio. Leads to a significant increase in calorie burn. I wouldn't use BMI only to measure 'fitness' , might I also suggest getting a body analysis done, so that you can know your lean body weight, fat % etc. it will help you understand your body a whole lot better. You can either ask one if the trainers in gym about where to get it done. My gym has the facility , although I am not sure of its accuracy . Keep at it

Edit - where in Bangalore are you gymming? I am at Golds in Indiranagar.

Last edited by akshayasok : 6th May 2012 at 01:07.
akshayasok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 01:18   #410
BHPian
 
superutp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 408
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshayasok View Post
Wow that's great , might I suggest increasing the incline , since you have already hit 1:1 ratio. Leads to a significant increase in calorie burn. I wouldn't use BMI only to measure 'fitness' , might I also suggest getting a body analysis done, so that you can know your lean body weight, fat % etc. it will help you understand your body a whole lot better. You can either ask one if the trainers in gym about where to get it done. My gym has the facility , although I am not sure of its accuracy . Keep at it

Edit - where in Bangalore are you gymming? I am at Golds in Indiranagar.
Thanks mate! Will start increasing incline as my stamina builds.

Body analysis and stuff, well, being a student of Biology before, I don't believe in these things and I highly doubt the accuracy of these machines which tell you so. Its more about inch loss and how you feel about yourself.

I am in Athena Gym, Millers road. A basic gym actually, purposely joined to get my stamina and strength back before I shift to a fancier gym. I know exactly where Golds is, several bars and pubs nearby
superutp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 01:29   #411
BHPian
 
akshayasok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: MCR,GVA,TVM,BGR
Posts: 44
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Thanks mate! Will start increasing incline as my stamina builds.

Body analysis and stuff, well, being a student of Biology before, I don't believe in these things and I highly doubt the accuracy of these machines which tell you so. Its more about inch loss and how you feel about yourself.

I am in Athena Gym, Millers road. A basic gym actually, purposely joined to get my stamina and strength back before I shift to a fancier gym. I know exactly where Golds is, several bars and pubs nearby
Wow, a fellow bio freak , awesome . I am doing my undergrad(UK) in Genetics. I doubt the accuracy as well and totally agree with feeling good. The only reason I picked gold's was for their weights section( and it was closest to my apartment). Haven't been to a single pub since I came to Bangalore , but I did go to 100ft restaurant with family, really liked it

Last edited by akshayasok : 6th May 2012 at 01:34.
akshayasok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 01:38   #412
BHPian
 
Kamal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: N.Delhi
Posts: 117
Thanked: 78 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Guys, is there anyone here following the principles expounded by Gary Taubes in his book " Why we gain weight & what to do about it "?
Its creating a lot of waves,reportedly.
Kamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 01:41   #413
BHPian
 
superutp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 408
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshayasok View Post
Wow, a fellow bio freak , awesome . I am doing my undergrad(UK) in Genetics. I doubt the accuracy as well and totally agree with feeling good. I picked gold's strictly for their weights section( and it was closest to my apartment). I actually haven't been to a single pub since I came to Bangalore , but I did go to 100ft restaurant with family, really liked it
Wow!! Genetics! One of my fav subjects!!Infact I market & sell services based on Genetics/Molecular Bio....Bio Freaks are rare on TBhp, nice to know one. Going OT (sorry Mods) but I did my Masters from Warwick 1.5 years back. I frequently visit nearby Golds gym for a drink or two (or more!) and regret bringing my Beat.

I guess its your vacations before your next term. Slog hard and enjoy harder in the UK

Last edited by superutp : 6th May 2012 at 01:43.
superutp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 01:45   #414
BHPian
 
akshayasok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: MCR,GVA,TVM,BGR
Posts: 44
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal View Post
Guys, is there anyone here following the principles expounded by Gary Taubes in his book " Why we gain weight & what to do about it "?
Its creating a lot of waves,reportedly.
Yup he talks about the ketogenic diet and how eating fat doesn't actually make you fat( carbs are the real enemy) , read all you need to know here Keto Reddit . And yes I am following the diet, just ask if you need any help.


Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Wow!! Genetics! One of my fav subjects!!Infact I market & sell services based on Genetics/Molecular Bio....Bio Freaks are rare on TBhp, nice to know one. Going OT (sorry Mods) but I did my Masters from Warwick 1.5 years back. I frequently visit nearby Golds gym for a drink or two (or more!) and regret bringing my Beat.

I guess its your vacations before your next term. Slog hard and enjoy harder in the UK
Wow that's sick, sorry mods, I am at Manchester , I heard Warwick is really gorgeous( except the weather ) .

Last edited by akshayasok : 6th May 2012 at 01:52.
akshayasok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 14:42   #415
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,581
Thanked: 3,241 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Guys do you recommend any specific shoes for running?
Find someone regular middle class salary slave who has been running regularly for over an year without injury - buy his shoes. Same brand / model i mean

More in reply to MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
A. Reebok Flex and Zig Fly are almost minimalist shoes. Don't jump into them or barefoot running if you are just starting out as you might get injured. The most common ailment in these cases are Plantar Fasciitis and Achilees Heel.

B. And mind no reduction in diet. Just a little streamlining apart from cutting out white processed sugar from my life. All the weight reduction is just from running.
B. I can attest to that
A.
My current belief is more around: The painful truth about trainers: Are expensive running shoes a waste of money? | Mail Online

For the past twenty years I've been asthamatic and generally out of breath (even when I was NOT fat) so I will anyways be walking till i build up aerobic capacity.

That said, it is my belief that with so many years of wearing shoes you just cannot get the form right. Let me share my examples of why the midfoot landing is ideal:
a. Look at ANY <1 year old toddler learn how to walk. They literally walk on their toes. They land on their midfoot.
b. Look at Arnulfo Quimare and Roger Bannister's landing stance versus Scott Jurek (in tha above article)
c. I paid attention to how *I* was behaving when going down the stairs - I landed midfoot, than heel first.

That is where I am, and I'm walking around my apartment complex barefoot as much as I can - though walking at night does worry me with enough little debris all over the place. Outside the complex, I will use canvas shoes for safety sake. Let me come back on this in 3-6 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
So my Question is, do you burn less calories/less fat when you run on a well ventilated treadmill compared to a less ventilated one?
HIIT is about working up heart rate correctly. Monitor your heart rate and do so accordingly. Overheating the body is not useful either. As an example - if you were to run in the rain wearing a non-breathable raincoat, your body would overheat, HR would spike and your output would suffer.

Prima facie, well ventilated would be better - but ideally check your HR. that will be objective facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
If possible, try running outdoors - on asphalt, trail etc. Not on hard surfaces like concrete.
I would love that. But with a demanding job and generally no time, i will mostly walk/fast walk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I prefer barefoot walking, once I played tennis and got calluses and a blister too, kinda awsome . Tried to jog but it was hurting my bones so I stopped.
I am only walking about these days. When I finally get around to jogging, I will finally use canvas shoes - too much debris.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 13:37   #416
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,581
Thanked: 3,241 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Guys,

has anyone used Fila Sneakers Black - Buy Men's Casual Shoes Online in India | Jabong.com ??
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 13:48   #417
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,074
Thanked: 2,014 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Guys, a simple query -

Does doing weight training (with very less Cardio) result in weight loss and loss of body flab, especially paunch?!
raj_5004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 13:53   #418
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,985
Thanked: 351 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Guys, a simple query -

Does doing weight training (with very less Cardio) result in weight loss and loss of body flab, especially paunch?!
You'll need to do cardio of atleast 30 mins before starting on your weight training if you want to lose your paunch.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 15:29   #419
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,074
Thanked: 2,014 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
You'll need to do cardio of atleast 30 mins before starting on your weight training if you want to lose your paunch.
I go to the GYM 5 times a week - Wednesday and Sunday off.

Three times a week I go for weight training. Now, if I do cardio on the same day, I wont have much energy left for the weight training.

How about I do weight training for 3 days and do Cardio on the other 2 days?
raj_5004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 15:54   #420
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,985
Thanked: 351 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I go to the GYM 5 times a week - Wednesday and Sunday off.

Three times a week I go for weight training. Now, if I do cardio on the same day, I wont have much energy left for the weight training.

How about I do weight training for 3 days and do Cardio on the other 2 days?
From the above I see your main problem is fitness. Before even doing weights, you need to build up your stamina/fitness which needs to be done with aerobic exercises. I would suggest running/cycling at about 65% of your max Heart Rate (Max Heart Rate = 220-Age). At this level, the max energy is derived from fat metabolism. This will take care of your paunch as well and you should see it going down in a month. Once you have improved your aerobic capacity the muscles also would have got strengthened. Apart from this your overall blood circulation will improve. That's the time to get started with strength and weight workouts.

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whats the weight of your wheel-tyre combo?? Shan2nu Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 30 11th October 2012 15:21
Flywheel Weight Reduction / Lightened Flywheels kpzen Technical Stuff 38 2nd February 2008 15:07
UNSPRUNG WEIGHT - and its effects kb100 Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 12 26th March 2007 15:52
For Sale: Enkei 17" Light Weight Performance Rims autopsyche Shifting gears 0 26th July 2006 23:31


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:13.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks