Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 31st July 2012, 16:00   #511
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Someone I know lost 50 Kgs in 1 year. From 130+Kgs to 78Kgs.

No dieting, no surgery, just basic formula of burning more calories than what you intake.

Some pictures
Before
Name:  Kushwanth 130.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  23.2 KB
After
The Weight Loss Thread-329331_10151118356896350_2096547320_o.jpg

I too lost about 15Kgs in the last 7-8 months
Before
Name:  172722_499504655735_2368637_o.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  73.7 KB
After
The Weight Loss Thread-620463_10150910000990736_321656221_o.jpg

Last edited by MileCruncher : 31st July 2012 at 16:10.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2012, 11:55   #512
Senior - BHPian

Somehow the face without the baby fat starts looking older :(

Here is something I found to calculate your weight loss rate.
Pennington Biomedical Research Center

Was reading into some research in NYT where they studied people in Tanzania and found that although they had more physical activity, their metabolism was still the same as a average Westerner. Metabolism is not that much revved by physical activity and decreases with weight loss.

The difference is more in what you consume (calories) and how much you burn during exercise.

Calorie to calorie, its easier to lose weight by dieting than exercise. Usually people stick to dieting easily than exercise.

Dieting vs. Exercise for Weight Loss - NYTimes.com
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2012, 12:01   #513
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Somehow the face without the baby fat starts looking older :(
I completely disagree with that.

If anything as you become healthier you get a nice glow.
You remain more positive and your confidence levels are high.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2012, 12:15   #514
BHPian

My weight as of day before yesterday while exiting the Gym was 101.5, this is around 14.3 kg less than my weigh of 115.8 Kg, I have lost all this in a little less than 5 months.
BANDHAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2012, 12:22   #515
Team-BHP Support

Weight loss without some weight training may result in some skin sagging that makes you look older. But I'd settle for looking older compared to say dying younger

I lost 7 kg between December and March thanks to a combination of light balanced diet and regular exercise. Slackened up both after that and gained some 4 of those. Yet to hit the formula for a consistent regimen that fits seamlessly into the daily routine.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2012, 13:42   #516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
If anything as you become healthier you get a nice glow.
You remain more positive and your confidence levels are high.
I absolutely agree to the above.

Furthermore, weightloss through dieting is an unnatural way to losing weight.

Mild to average exercise along with controlled and nutritional eating is the way to go.
Old 11th August 2012, 04:25   #517
BHPian

I was surprised to find a "Weight Loss Thread" on our great forum! Thank you! At 22, I am struggling with an irritating post weight loss issue. Sagging skin. My skin is sagging at all the wrong places. To make matters worse, I have a feminine contour, especially around my chest and belly area. Can anyond help me out on this regard?

I was pretty convinced to go in for Liposuction, followed by Abdominoplasty, but there are two major factors that kept me away from it, which are;
1. The gory videos on Youtube which made me feel like My body would be operated like just that! A body in a Post-mortem analysis, with all the cutting, stretching and stitching, leaving behing huge scars externally and wounds under the layer of skin!

2. Scars on my abdomen, which will never really vanish
aveoman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2012, 08:40   #518
BHPian

Finally, I have something positive to post here.
Joined my office Gym on 1st July. I do mix exercise, approx. 60% cardio 30% weights and rest stretching etc. In 40 days, have lost 2 Kgs but also feel much more lighter due to increased stamina. Also energy levels are higher in general.

Big thanks to all those who keep putting up motivating posts here.

Hopefully, in another 2/3 months I will be in a shape to post by before and after pics!

Last edited by avingodb : 11th August 2012 at 08:41. Reason: typo
avingodb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2012, 09:13   #519
BHPian

That is great news avingodb ji! Looking forward to those before and after pics.
aveoman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2012, 12:21   #520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveoman19 View Post
I was surprised to find a "Weight Loss Thread" on our great forum! Thank you! At 22, I am struggling with an irritating post weight loss issue. Sagging skin. My skin is sagging at all the wrong places. To make matters worse, I have a feminine contour, especially around my chest and belly area. Can anyond help me out on this regard?

I was pretty convinced to go in for Liposuction, followed by Abdominoplasty, but there are two major factors that kept me away from it, which are;
1. The gory videos on Youtube which made me feel like My body would be operated like just that! A body in a Post-mortem analysis, with all the cutting, stretching and stitching, leaving behing huge scars externally and wounds under the layer of skin!

2. Scars on my abdomen, which will never really vanish
Okay I would strongly suggest against any surgical procedures. Maybe a new routine with the focus on specific body parts will help. I lost 35 kgs and I can relate to the post weight loss issues. Basically we lost a lot of weight within a short span of time, I got stretch marks because of it.

I wear them with pride though, I lost weight and they are the evidence

Any which ways, will suggest you to look up to runnersworld.com or any forum similar to target specific areas in the body.
AbhishekB86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 12:27   #521
BHPian

First hand stories of weight reduction are really inspiring. Especially when i have added "Few" Kg's over last 2 years.

Problem is these "Few" Kg's is around 20 Kg. Never thought it is 20 Kg Odd. Decided to take it down by 20 KG (from 95 to 75. i am 5 11).

For last two weeks, stopped eating sugar - in any form.

- Less oil food
- Outside food just once in month in moderation.
- measured intake for lunch and dinner
- No biscuits/Khari during Chai. Prefer 2 Toast now.

Planning a simple principle here. Decrese input and increase output (KCal) so fat is used for deficit.

Could not take up any schedule for jogging. but try to go for walk after dinner and lunch. Got a hold of cycle too. But riding it on road during usual hours is dificult, everybody want to run over you.

Want to take opinion, do i need to go for professional help for VLCC. How do these people actually work? Any first hand experience?

Last edited by idea : 17th August 2012 at 12:28.
idea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 12:36   #522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea View Post

Could not take up any schedule for jogging. but try to go for walk after dinner and lunch. Got a hold of cycle too. But riding it on road during usual hours is dificult, everybody want to run over you.

Want to take opinion, do i need to go for professional help for VLCC. How do these people actually work? Any first hand experience?
Why go to VLCC and all when you can do it yourself. And there is no option other than good cardio workout at 150bpm Heart Rate. So you'll need to take time out for jogging/cycling.
Old 17th August 2012, 12:37   #523
BHPian

I ve just stared working out, once again!!! I weigh 80kg and am 5'8. I had lost 5 kg when I last stared working out, broke a finger.Gym stopped, diet stopped. I fat.

My query
I like weight training more than doing cardio, but my cardio vascular strength is bad, I cant jog for more than 5-6 min or about 1KM.
Will weight training(70%weight training+30%cardio) help me get rid of my fat and improve my cardio strength?
Or i have to do cardio with dedication to loose fat and gain stamina?

Also i read a lot of contradictory views about jogging vs brisk walking better for loosing fat.What is your opinion and logic behind it?
paras211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 12:58   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveoman19 View Post
That is great news avingodb ji!
Thank you for motivating, but please don't have to add "ji" or anything like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea View Post
Do i need to go for professional help for VLCC
First try increasing your cardio activity. Try morning or evening walks and gradually add a bit of jogging. Also add other activities like taking stairs instead of lifts and escalators.
VLCC and other stuff should be tried when weight-loss is at a point when immediate result is critical to survival and not happening with exercise and increase in activity levels.
Also such help will not add to your stamina, which should be an important element of any activity aimed at weight loss.

Can you disclose your age? In all that I wrote above this, I have assumed that you are able to undertake moderate physical activity.
avingodb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 13:11   #525
Senior - BHPian

I have a query,how to lose the tendency to gain weight rapidly.
This is the third time,i have managed to shed those extra kilos.
Last two times,the moment i stopped working out,i gained weight rapidly.
Now due to changing work schedules and all,if i am not able to keep working out regularly,how do i lose this tendency to gain?

Last edited by akshay4587 : 17th August 2012 at 13:12.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote