Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 5th September 2012, 18:38   #541
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbookie View Post
My blood pressure is better. My ulcers have vanished. And for the first time in last 15 years, I can have spicy food.
I had heard about low-carb benefits and good to know there are no side effects. Now that you weight is down, do you plan to continue the diet?
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 19:03   #542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy
I had heard about low-carb benefits and good to know there are no side effects. Now that you weight is down, do you plan to continue the diet?
There might be downsides but for me benefits outweigh them by tonnes.

I plan to continue keto for one year. Then i plan to shift to slow carb for life.
carbookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 20:39   #543
BHPian

Quote:
Yes my diet is very high on fats and cholesterol. I was sceptical moving to this diet because of stigma attached to eating FAT. After all, there are around 14 doctors in my immediate family. They all discouraged me to go on this change.

In this six months, my cholesterol level dropped from 220 to 140. My triglycerides went from 150 to 37. My HDL has gone up, and LDL has gone down. After seeing my blood reports my brother, who is a doctor, was shocked. My body fat percentage is down by 9%.
My blood pressure is better. My ulcers have vanished. And for the first time in last 15 years, I can have spicy food.
  • Eating Fat doesn't make you fat.
  • Eating cholesterol does not give you heart attack.
  • You cannot lose weight just by eating calorie deficient diet.
This is the basic premise of Gary Taubes research.
Congrats on your weight loss! Looks very interesting and tempting to try . Is there any specific website or link which has the schedule for this diet? How do i get started ?
wads78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 22:37   #544
BHPian

I lost over 21Kgs in 6 months, because i lived in my college hostel..
Naparajito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 22:50   #545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wads78 View Post
Congrats on your weight loss! Looks very interesting and tempting to try . Is there any specific website or link which has the schedule for this diet? How do i get started ?
Start by reading KETO FAQ. If you really want to follow I would suggest you hang around http://reddit.com/r/keto forum for some time and learn the ways of the diet before jumping into it. This is not a crash course in losing weight. Its more like a lifestyle change.

If you get interested enough to follow it, you can always ask me for help.
Old 6th September 2012, 00:27   #546
BHPian

Hi everybody
Plus one to Sudeep's post.
Quaker oats can be very helpful.
You can soak them overnight and this way you will need less time to cook.
It can be boring.Best way is to flavour it cardamom,almonds,a pinch of turmeric,pista etc one at a time.It gets less boring.Once in a while also try with sugarless milk masala.
Another trick is to eat last that you like the best so the taste of the best lingers.
Every bit helps so park your car or mobike a little bit away.If you take a bus get down one stop before.
Be the first to answer the doorbell.Walk when you are talking on the phone.Keep on you feet as much as possible.
Regards
PS:I am 68+ and by following these small things i still wear my 20 year old trousers/jeans.

Last edited by faustus77 : 6th September 2012 at 00:33.
faustus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 07:29   #547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Breakfast - 4 eggs scrambled (cooked in butter with cheese) and bacon/sausage/chicken breast.

2. Lunch - Half chicken (grilled/butterCooked/fried) with vegetables/salad.

3. 500gm Chicken dish with vegetables/Gluten free peperoni pizza/2 mutton burgers without bun.
Congrats and Wow! A dream diet that brings bad cholesterol down. What are the negatives of such a diet?

Quote:
You cannot lose weight just by eating calorie deficient diet.
Do let us know what else is needed. How about your daily activities and exercise regime?
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 08:25   #548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Congrats and Wow! A dream diet that brings bad cholesterol down. What are the negatives of such a diet?

Do let us know what else is needed. How about your daily activities and exercise regime?
Gary Taubes Funda
"Daily activity and exercise creates a calorie deficit in diet. And that alone is not enough to loose weight. You should exercise to keep fit, but not as a source of permanent weight loss. If you spend 2000 calories everyday, eating 1800 calories everyday, will not create a weight loss, because as soon as body realizes that calorific intake is less, it will slow down to 1800 calories per day"

If you like watching instead of reading this you tube video will be good.
Old 6th September 2012, 09:10   #549
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Once a week i feast myself with outside food (READ : SUBWAY) where i have a 6" Sub with NO CHEESE & NO MAYO.

If its only vegetables and no cheese and sauce, then how hard is it on calorie?
(but for bread)

Because this is something which I am onto regularly!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 18:55   #550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you like watching instead of reading this you tube video will be good.
I have tagged the video to be watched during my free time.

A couple of questions. I have read that the ketogenic diet tends to increase the cholesterol by 30% in general. In your case, the cholesterol has drastically reduced. How could that be? Have you used any multivitamin supplement with this diet to prevent any nutritional deficiencies? I would also like to know how much you previously weighed. Thanks.
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 19:41   #551
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I have tagged the video to be watched during my free time.

A couple of questions. I have read that the ketogenic diet tends to increase the cholesterol by 30% in general. In your case, the cholesterol has drastically reduced. How could that be? Have you used any multivitamin supplement with this diet to prevent any nutritional deficiencies? I would also like to know how much you previously weighed. Thanks.
Ketogenic diet suck the fat out of body, as they burn fat for body energy. I can quote quite a lot of books, material supporting this fact. But I am going to
quote only one site, as it is a official study on gov site. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/ In the study you would notice, that subjects were taking diet very high in fats.

I use multivitamin everyday (centrum), even though I eat more vegetables, lean meat than most people out there. The reason is need for extra sodium and potassium on this diet.

I weighed around 132 KG in March 2012. I am at 112 Kg now. Next target 92 Kg by year end. I was inspired to go into this diet by this girl. http://imgur.com/a/ZzM0r#0
Old 6th September 2012, 21:07   #552
Senior - BHPian

Lost about 20 lbs in 7 months - used to weigh around 183 lbs in Feb 2012, and now I am around 163-164 lbs (I am 174.5 cms tall - around 5 ' 8.5"). Lost a LOT of belly fat.

From early on, I have a tendency to put on weight very fast (used to get fat in the semester breaks while in college) - and have switched to a diet advised by my gym trainer.

Breakfast: 1 bagel with cream cheese/jam/nuttela + 1 small apple juice
Lunch: green salad with grilled chicken or fish + fat free dressing
Evening snack after workout: 1 glass banana-strawberry shake with milk and yogurt
Dinner: chicken/lean meat soup + steamed veg + greek yogurt

I try to workout atleast 5 days a week for 1 hr (sometimes I substitute tennis for gym in summer), and have 3 cheat meals a week (1 breakfast, 1 lunch and 1 dinner)

No sugar, fried food, alcohol, ice cream, chocolate or coke/pepsi in regular days - I do not stock them in my fridge. I have them from time to time when I visit friends or have a party, maybe once or twice a month.
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 11:00   #553
BHPian

Quote:
Ketogenic diet suck the fat out of body, as they burn fat for body energy. I can quote quite a lot of books, material supporting this fact. But I am going to
quote only one site, as it is a official study on gov site. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/ In the study you would notice, that subjects were taking diet very high in fats.

I use multivitamin everyday (centrum), even though I eat more vegetables, lean meat than most people out there. The reason is need for extra sodium and potassium on this diet.

I weighed around 132 KG in March 2012. I am at 112 Kg now. Next target 92 Kg by year end. I was inspired to go into this diet by this girl. http://imgur.com/a/ZzM0r#0
As a south Indian vegetarian, rice is a staple food for me every day for lunch. Also, upmas, idlis and dosas are common fare for dinner/bfast. What do you suggest I replace these carbs with? I can think of Ragi and oats as replacements, but there is little you can experiment with these grains.
hellmet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 11:34   #554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
As a south Indian vegetarian, rice is a staple food for me every day for lunch. Also, upmas, idlis and dosas are common fare for dinner/bfast. What do you suggest I replace these carbs with? I can think of Ragi and oats as replacements, but there is little you can experiment with these grains.
Vegans : I have been asked this question before and I don't have a answer. There are many vegans who have successfully followed this diet, but I am not sure what the hell they have been eating. Ragi and oats are also grains and off limits on this diet.

Also, the Ketogenic is the most strict of all Low carb diets. If you believe in low carb, there are other options like Atkins, Paleo, south beach etc.

Last edited by carbookie : 7th September 2012 at 11:36.
Old 7th September 2012, 12:48   #555
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Saw this thread today truly inspirational.

I am also trying to be fitter , Actually I used to always be a fit person and active gymmer earlier , but in last 4 years or so due to increased responsibilities and work related issues going to a gym became irragular and eventually stopped.

My weight increased from 74 to 81.3 Kg and waist size kept on increasing.

Now have again joined a Gym ( fitness first , Koramangala) and workig out. Weight has reduced to 78 from 81.3 in 2 months and lots of positive benifits like increased abdominal muscle strength and cardio etc.
Best part is the reduction in waist size by around 2.5 inches.

Good thing is that they have lots of group classes many from http://w3.lesmills.com/global/en and these things work well for working professionals compared to my younger days where a set of weights , bench and a trademill was enough in gym.

Will report back in another 1 month once my goal of 5 KG is achived. Weight reduction is not the only goal I have but I wanted to improve functional fitness and be at the same level where I used to be 5-6 years ago.
As of now I am experiencing lots of benifits lets see how it continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
I am not too convinced about Ketogenic diet or any other like GM diet , Akins diet etc so will not comment on them but if your question is about reducing the refined carbohydrates then it is simple.

Modern Indian diet is not same as what was traditional indian diet and this is the reason we have highest number of diabetics in world ( ofcourse we do have 1.2 billion people as well). Undoing some of these changes can bring back the balance.

Replace polished white rice with grains which were consumed in south before irrigation facilities increased rice production with corresponding fall in other grains.

(a) Eat brown /red rice : There were no rice mills 100 years back and this is how rice used to be.
Rice husk is rich in thymene , fiber , B-vitamins and rice bran oil is called miracle oil due to it's mix of poly-unsaturated and saturated fatty acids.

(b) Eat more of course grains ( maize , ragi , barley) in food.
For example one meal can be of rotis of these grains , brakfast can be of porriadge /upma of broken wheat or of other grains.
Oats in breakfast are good option too.

(c) Cut totally on sugar try taking sugarless tea/coffiee .

(d) replace your cooking oil with Rice bran oil (easily available in super-markets in bangalore) preferably mix Sunflower and ricebran oil in ratio of 1:4 . We are doing this for last 2-3 years and cholerostrol level of everyone in the family including my parents is good.

BTW : Fermented foods like Idly and Curds are main source of B-complex in Indian diet so continue it.

I am a vegetarian too ( though north indian) so the above info is based on personal experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_9327 View Post
Need your advise guys. I would like to know which among these two would lead to weight loss sooner -

1- Brisk walking at a speed of 6.5 km/hr for 45 minutes. Or

2- Jogging at a speed of 8 km/hr for 30 minutes.

Both on a treadmill.
Not based on any scintific evidence but just by observing people around ,
It depends on what kind of person you are.

Option 1 seems to be better if you have never been to gym before or are seriously overweight due to following reasons

(a) Less stress on knees /calf and smaller muscles so no injury thus chance of you giving up after few days.
(b) After a while you will build up stamina and you are likely to challange yourself by increasing incline or speed.
(c) Read at many places that body first consumes glucose for 20 mts or so and then the stored fat gets converted to glucose of burning so prolonged slow excercise is needed for fat burn

Option 2 is better if you do moderate level of excercise already and you need time for muscle toning apart for burning fats.
Here you should try to increase speed up to 12 - 13.5 for short burst as your stamina increases over a period of time to challange yourself.

Sorry for too many responses on this thread too soon but this is so interesting stuff.

Last edited by mobike008 : 8th September 2012 at 14:15. Reason: Back to back posts. Please refrain in future.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote