Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2012, 21:13   #571
Senior - BHPian
 
thoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kerala
Posts: 1,748
Thanked: 1,067 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

I have noticed one thing for myself. If I want to reduce my belly fat, I definitely have to work out my abs. Even basic crunches do wonders, starting from a couple of days; whereas no amount of cardio or anything else touch my belly fat. This is more prominient with the flab on the sides.
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 22:25   #572
BHPian
 
acroback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 314
Thanked: 125 Times
Default

I'm atleast 25kgs overweight. Guys need help. I have veryvery busy work life?
acroback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2012, 00:36   #573
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,026
Thanked: 373 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I have noticed one thing for myself. If I want to reduce my belly fat, I definitely have to work out my abs. Even basic crunches do wonders, starting from a couple of days; whereas no amount of cardio or anything else touch my belly fat. This is more prominient with the flab on the sides.
that is because your core muscles get toned and core muscles are important to give the support to spine and keep internal organs tucked in . This does not mean fat has melted. Flabby does not always means fatty.
Here is picture of what is called core muscle group.
It is very important to keep core muscles strong along with cardio to control flab.

amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2012, 09:44   #574
Senior - BHPian
 
thoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kerala
Posts: 1,748
Thanked: 1,067 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Does anybody have personal experience with a good weighing scale for home use? My take on good is that it should show the same weight consistently on consecutive tries. This is not happening on the Krups we have at home. The accuracy is off by +/- 0.5 if we check more than once. So it is difficult to say whether we are gaining or loosing weight. I'm looking at the simple analog ones which retail around 1k.
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2012, 15:13   #575
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 79
Thanked: 129 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Does anybody have personal experience with a good weighing scale for home use? My take on good is that it should show the same weight consistently on consecutive tries. This is not happening on the Krups we have at home. The accuracy is off by +/- 0.5 if we check more than once. So it is difficult to say whether we are gaining or loosing weight. I'm looking at the simple analog ones which retail around 1k.
I've got a digital ones that costs about 800 rupees and it's quite accurate and quotes are very consistant. Online available at eBay.
carbookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2012, 16:06   #576
Senior - BHPian
 
sdp1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,573
Thanked: 879 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
I'm atleast 25kgs overweight. Guys need help. I have veryvery busy work life?
It may sound difficult to start with - but try fasting for a day. Try doing it for half a day or start with fruit fasting to begin with before moving to a full day fast.
sdp1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 15:31   #577
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 59
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbookie View Post
I've got a digital ones that costs about 800 rupees and it's quite accurate and quotes are very consistent. Online available at eBay.
I have a digital weight scale and best way of checking that I follow is, before checking my weight I keep a dumbbell of 4kgs on it and note down the variation, i add or subtract the variation from my result. This way any weighing scale would be almost perfect.
Gadgetfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 15:40   #578
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 79
Thanked: 129 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
I have a digital weight scale and best way of checking that I follow is, before checking my weight I keep a dumbbell of 4kgs on it and note down the variation, i add or subtract the variation from my result. This way any weighing scale would be almost perfect.
Not necessarily, because the variations in a scale are generally non linear in nature.
carbookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 17:05   #579
BHPian
 
dgupta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Coventry, UK
Posts: 69
Thanked: 64 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

To begin with, I never thought I will post in any weight loss thread in my life, but here I am!!

I was always a skinny kid, then a skinny teen, then a skinny guy in college. But I was always known for my love of butter and anything cheese and delicious. I know and I have been told by some "qualified" people that I have a high/fast metabolism and thats why I don't gain weight. I was happy and I agreed. But in all this I missed one basic aspect, I was not healthy. My diet was far from balanced, I am very picky when it comes to eating. I mostly avoid vegetables and fruits, typical north Indian palette is always my choice. I am a vegetarian, so Dal, roti/paratha accompanied by some potato based vegetable is my lunch and dinner.

I started feeling the need to increase my stamina when I joined office in 2007 and would easily feel tired by the end of the day. I joined a gym and felt much better, made small tweaks in my diet. I was underweight or on the lowest acceptable number on the BMI chart at that time, so weight loss was never my requirement but weight gain and becoming healthy was. It never worked out, my office work kept me occupied and travelling all over India for 3 years. I started gaining weight owing to eating out in the hotels and I have accumulated weight around my waist line. In the last 6 months, I have gained 6kgs. I am in UK now and I have ample time to focus on my fitness.

Can the experienced guys here give me some pointers to begin with. I was thinking of starting to jog and then see where it goes. My primary motive is to increase my stamina and stay in shape, I am not fat, nor am I skinny at the moment, just unfit. My diet is not balanced as of now, but I am working towards it, any pointers in this direction also welcome. More than anything, how to stay motivated ?? The first time I went for a 4 mile jog, some muscles in my body took birth which I never knew existed and I came back home huffing and panting, collapsed on the bed and my landlord wanted to take me to the hospital. Did I overdo it or was he over reacting? I felt better after eating some glucose biscuits and lying down. More than anything else, I find it really hard to overcome that inertia and go for a run regularly. I want to fit back into my 30" jeans
dgupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 20:57   #580
BHPian
 
bijuiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 63
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Apart from walk early morning, gym, games and other things i also have few resolutions that i am going to follow for weight loss:-
1. Said goodbye to the car-washer, Have been washing my own cars i.e. two cars twice a week.
2. Wax polishing once every month.
3. Planning to buy a bicycle (from FireFox Bikes) and commuting to office once a week.
4. Using stairs while returning from office.
bijuiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 21:45   #581
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,417
Thanked: 14,195 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuiser View Post
Apart from walk early morning, gym, games and other things i also have few resolutions that i am going to follow for weight loss:-
1. Said goodbye to the car-washer, Have been washing my own cars i.e. two cars twice a week.
2. Wax polishing once every month.
3. Planning to buy a bicycle (from FireFox Bikes) and commuting to office once a week.
4. Using stairs while returning from office.
Please visit the bicycles thread. Firefox is not considered quality stuff and VFM these days.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 22:46   #582
Senior - BHPian
 
Warwithwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,279
Thanked: 1,013 Times
Default

Does driving help burn calories? I drive about 60 kms every day. Atleast half the distance is thru' dense city traffic which requires continuous gear changes, frequent maneuvering etc.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 17th December 2012 at 22:47.
Warwithwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 22:47   #583
BHPian
 
AbhishekB86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 330
Thanked: 359 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgupta View Post
Can the experienced guys here give me some pointers to begin with. I was thinking of starting to jog and then see where it goes. My primary motive is to increase my stamina and stay in shape, I am not fat, nor am I skinny at the moment, just unfit. My diet is not balanced as of now, but I am working towards it, any pointers in this direction also welcome. More than anything, how to stay motivated ?? The first time I went for a 4 mile jog, some muscles in my body took birth which I never knew existed and I came back home huffing and panting, collapsed on the bed and my landlord wanted to take me to the hospital. Did I overdo it or was he over reacting? I felt better after eating some glucose biscuits and lying down. More than anything else, I find it really hard to overcome that inertia and go for a run regularly. I want to fit back into my 30" jeans
I am glad there's someone who's choosing to workout instead of going for a diet. I am not saying dieting doesn't work but exercising over all makes you fitter.



I was hired by a leading Indian hotel chain who I still work for. Since I am a part of the Sales team, I can totally understand what eating out every other day does to you. In fact, my lunch from Monday-Saturday since 2009 has always been in a coffee shop/restaurant or the hotel itself.


There is nothing wrong with running. What you're doing right now, is putting your body through the stress of running and it is reacting naturally. It is okay to want glucose biscuits, sweetened stuff to get the blood sugar right and you may feel drained/tired etc for a few days. I can also personally voucher for aching muscles for a few days. Your muscles were contracted all this while you weren't active and they're expanding as you run or do any other form of exercise. As any runner would say, this is natural and soon within 2-3 runs your body would be immune to it.

Running not only is one of the best ways to shed off the kilos but also is a major stress buster. I took up running to lose weight, I went from over 100(which was consistent for 10 odd years) to a puny 69 kgs in 2009 because of running and a balanced diet.


Although, my running was severely hampered by my inflexible working hoursand relaxed eating habits post the weight loss, I did not completely give it up. I would go for runs once in a while but I wasn't helping my cause.

My downslide came in 2010 and continued till October this year. I went from 69 to 82 in a matter of 2.5 years and that's when I thought enough was enough. I hit the gym.

Little did I realize that only running and rapid weight loss because of it makes your body flabby(not fat). Strength training helps you tone up, along with running. I have been going to the gym for 6 days a week now and watching what I eat severely.

I too, have my old clothes and every day they fit better. I've kept the clothes I wore when I was severely overweight. They remind me everyday not to take my current weight for granted.

Coming back to running, I was forced by a friend to start running. I could only run for about 30 seconds and I would be huffing and puffing and falling apart. My muscles would hurt so bad, I could not climb stairs without feeling the pinch in my legs.

Six months down the line, I used to run 10 kms with my friend who was my inspiration. I would tell you to go for it, but go slow. Set yourself your current running target for atleast a week till you think of increasing. If you go too fast there's a chance of injury. Do situps to strengthen your leg muscles to take the load.

Also, take a break, there's no harm in a break day to let your muscles relax. Carry a bottle of water with you. There's no harm in a glass of lemon juice post the run.

Run for another 3 days and you'll come back on this forum telling us how fresh and alive you feel

Here are my 2 pics at different times. One was at my peak weight of over 100 kgs, the second at around 70 odd kgs. The lady in the picture, is another fitness fanatic I know off. Great inspiration. Also, forgive the T-shirts they were in back in college
Attached Images
  

Last edited by AbhishekB86 : 17th December 2012 at 22:50.
AbhishekB86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 22:50   #584
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 163 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgupta View Post
To begin with, I never thought I will post in any weight loss thread in my life, but here I am!!

I want to fit back into my 30" jeans
I can't say if fitting into 30" jeans would be a realistic goal. As you age, you have to cut the body some slack (pun intended). But it's good to have realized you need to make a change.

I would suggest full body workout (like the DVDs or aerobic shows shown on TV with attractive fitness models) as opposed to jogging. Jogging puts stress on some parts of body and none on others. Don't underestimate the power of those aerobic workouts. It looks like the models are having fun but you will get sweating and panting within few minutes. Just pick up any workout on DVD or youtube and start with 5-10 minutes initially. Slowly increase it to the recommended tie mentioned for that particular workout.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 22:52   #585
Senior - BHPian
 
Warwithwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,279
Thanked: 1,013 Times
Default

Abhishek, is that really you in the second pic?? The results are supernatural. Congrats. Way to go!! Good luck maintaining it.

Can you please tell me how long did it take to shed those 30 odd kilos?

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 17th December 2012 at 22:54.
Warwithwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whats the weight of your wheel-tyre combo?? Shan2nu Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 30 11th October 2012 15:21
Flywheel Weight Reduction / Lightened Flywheels kpzen Technical Stuff 38 2nd February 2008 15:07
UNSPRUNG WEIGHT - and its effects kb100 Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 12 26th March 2007 15:52
For Sale: Enkei 17" Light Weight Performance Rims autopsyche Shifting gears 0 26th July 2006 23:31


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:41.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks