Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 17th December 2012, 23:02   #586
BHPian

Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

I go for a walk at a nearby ground everyday in the morning or evening ( depends on my college timing). the total distance of 1 complete round is 800m and I walk 5-6 rounds. I don't run because my left knee cap has had dislocation problems a couple of times due to some damaged muscles.

I go to gym around 5 days a week and my workout is like this : cardio-upper body- cardio- legs.

my diet is somewhat unbalanced. I have breakfast at home but mostly lunch is outside and sometimes dinner too.

I'm not too fat and certainly not skinny.
my body is kinda proper in shape for my age (19). I'm 85kg and 6 feet tall.
need to loose around 5-7 kgs.

Last edited by StrangeWizard : 17th December 2012 at 23:09.
StrangeWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 23:16   #587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Abhishek, is that really you in the second pic?? The results are supernatural. Congrats. Way to go!! Good luck maintaining it.

Can you please tell me how long did it take to shed those 30 odd kilos?
With no physical activity, like in my case, it can happen very rapidly. I did it in a matter of 8-9 months.

But I must be honest and admit I was in denial about the weight I had gained recently. I would never stand on the weighing scale till October happened and I am glad the reality hit me hard on my face.

It's not easy now. I am nowhere close to how good I was with my first stint with weight loss. I am however giving toning a shot now. Hope it works *fingers crossed*

I have gained a lot between July-October. A cool 5-6 kgs packed on. Hope it turns around

Last edited by AbhishekB86 : 17th December 2012 at 23:18. Reason: typo error!
AbhishekB86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 03:21   #588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post

Run for another 3 days and you'll come back on this forum telling us how fresh and alive you feel

Here are my 2 pics at different times.
Abhishek, thanks for the word of advice. I did read your post in this thread about your experience and to say the least, it is inspiring. I went out to run today and managed to do a 5 mile run without feeling severely dehydrated or dizzy, I am not feeling very worked out as well, so I guess the signs are good. I will just keep at it and get into the rhythm. That's what I lack, a good friend who could force me to go!! But I will find my inspiration here and in my old clothes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I can't say if fitting into 30" jeans would be a realistic goal. As you age, you have to cut the body some slack (pun intended). But it's good to have realized you need to make a change.

I would suggest full body workout (like the DVDs or aerobic shows shown on TV with attractive fitness models) as opposed to jogging.
Vivek, thanks for suggesting the aerobic workout, I had not thought on it before. Will explore and think about it. As for the 30", I would not say its my goal, but a barometer of a sort to get back in shape. My goal is to be fit and healthy, numbers don't matter to me. As long as I have good stamina and I feel confident physically, I am happy.

Thanks once again guys for your advice.
dgupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 06:18   #589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgupta View Post

Vivek, thanks for suggesting the aerobic workout, I had not thought on it before. Will explore and think about it.
actually I am hearing this is a workout bordering on torture. you might want to try something like this.

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fit...e=SEMB_MSN_SAN
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 07:02   #590
BHPian

Rule number 1 of weight loss is burn more calories than you consume. Fad diets are just bad for you but do a temporary job more because you have become conscious and are eating slightly less than before.

The ideal key is to eat healthy and the amount your body needs and then to work out to ensure weight loss. Aerobic exercises are good for endurance but at the end of the day the quickest way to burn fat is muscle building. That does not mean looking like Arnold Schwarzenegger but rather working out so that you get good muscles and definition. Do not look at weight loss per se but rather body fat and fitness as indicators of where you are.
pganapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 07:09   #591
BHPian

I need suggestions from someone who's been doing weight training for a while.

I feel drained out while working out in the morning. It is much easier in the evening. I just have coffee before I run to the gym in the morning since I am short on time. Any suggestions for the morning meal before a cardio + weight training workout? I carry my breakfast and eat it post my workout at office.
AbhishekB86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 09:54   #592
BHPian

Abhishek, that's a really inspiring story, good work!
I started my weight loss journey from 100+ Kgs as well some time in May/June this year. Have lost about 25 Kgs so far, with 5 more to go before I reach my goal weight.

The two things that helped me the most were:
1) Keeping count of calories (intake and burning): I use this wonderful free site: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/
2) Running: Like Abhishek, I could not run for even 30 seconds continuously. I started this program called Couch-to-5K (C25K) - an 8 to 9 week run-walk program that is designed to get you from a state where you can't run at all (couch state) to being able to run continuously for 5 Kms: ( http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml ). I recently completed a half-marathon and am now training for my first full marathon in February.
ajayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 12:04   #593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
I feel drained out while working out in the morning. It is much easier in the evening. I just have coffee before I run to the gym in the morning since I am short on time. Any suggestions for the morning meal before a cardio + weight training workout? I carry my breakfast and eat it post my workout at office.
You should have a little snack before you go to gym. You can try any one of these as per your goal and weight status.

1. One Apple: This is the best if your weight is a big concern.

2.Brown bread sandwitch with cheese slice. ( no butter ) : Good once your muscles are building up and weight is not a big concern anymore.

3. Or a glass of milk ( ofcourse with out sugar) : Best if you have some control on weight and you are doing high intensity workout of around 700+ Cal per hour like MMA / Kickboxing/BodyCombat

4. Banana : If you are doing heavy weights and need a lot of energy.

Hydrate yourself well before you hit the gym , One easy way is that drink around 500ml just after you get up from bed. And then while you walk to gym empty a sipper ( around 500ml)

Last edited by amitk26 : 18th December 2012 at 12:06.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 12:30   #594
Senior - BHPian

Instead of doing some video illustrated insane exercise, running should be good enough. I lose about 650 calories running for 45 minutes every alternate day. With slight reductions in food, and some strengthening exercises, I was able to lose about 6kgs in 6 months.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2012, 03:21   #595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Instead of doing some video illustrated insane exercise, running should be good enough. I lose about 650 calories running for 45 minutes every alternate day. With slight reductions in food, and some strengthening exercises, I was able to lose about 6kgs in 6 months.
I agree with this. I have enrolled quite a few times at the local gym but never managed to be regular there.

Then got hooked on to the running bug, thanks to the missus. And the charm of the "Finisher Medal" was what drove me to run more! And yes, registering for events with medals makes sure that you dont skip training for those events.

When I started running back in June 2012, I could barely run for 10 mins. Since then I have been regularly running thrice a week, and since then completed 2 Half Marathons and one Full marathon along with a few 10K events.

I used to weigh 160 lbs in June. Now I weigh 145. More than the weight loss, its the fat% reduction that is more encouraging.
Fountainheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2012, 20:45   #596
BHPian

Question Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

I would like to reduce fat in and around my belly, like am essentially aiming for flat tummy. I have been running on treadmill for around 30 mins with settings of Gradient 1/3.8 MPH, 5 times a week for about a month now. Is there anything else i need to do add to this, or do differently?

Please advise.

Last edited by JMaruru : 21st December 2012 at 20:59.
JMaruru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2012, 17:36   #597
BHPian

Default Herbalife - Is it really effective ?

Last week, a Herbalife distributor opened a "Nutrition Health Centre" in a spare garage in my building. He invited all the residents for a complimentary body fat check up. So I went there yesterday, and after the check up, I was told I'm in the Body Mass Index Overweight Stage 2 and a 10 min long lecture on how it's harmful for my health and how Herbalife products will help me. This was followed by a glass of some caffeine-free energy drink which tasted like herbal tea. The distributor claimed drinking this alone burns 110 calories After that, I was given a protein shake which turned out to be really heavy. It was 8 am, I hadn't eaten anything since morning and I was already feeling heavy, as if I had lunch.

After this, I asked him about the weight loss procedure. I was told I'll have to enroll for a 10 day "detox" course costing Rs. 1500, wherein I have to go to the centre daily and drink 1 such shake and that energy drink. Only after I complete this course, I will be eligible for their weight loss program. This seemed a bit fishy to me, more like a money making tactic since the detox course looks irrelevant as far as weight loss is concerned. When I asked him how much weight it will help me reduce, he said it differs from person to person and refused to divulge more details unless I sign up for the weight loss program, which costs roughly Rs.5000 for some products he'll give me (similar shakes, energy drinks and tablets). I found this a bit overpriced.

I did a research of my own on the internet, and there seemed to be varying results. Some people claimed to lose 5kg in a month, while a lady barely managed 1.9kg ! Moreover, their marketing strategy turned out to be a scam of sorts, but lets not get into that.

So here's my question to fellow BHPians - have YOU tried this ? Did it really work ? Is it worth the money ?
Rosso Corsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2012, 18:35   #598
BHPian

Default Re: Herbalife - Is it really effective ?

Rosso if i can see it correctly then this is one of the "n" weight loss schemes running in every city under various names making tall claims of miraculously losing weight; which is uber nonsense!
As opposed to your state i am skinny and i was about to take weight gain supplements from one of the world's most respected bodybuilding supplement manufacturer.
Few of my friends and my dad told me just this short sentence - "There is no shortcut to success"(in my case building muscles and in yours losing fat)and I believe strongly in this.
I feel such short weight loss stints do more bad to the body than good.
Such crash courses are there with every such "nutrition centre". But its upto you to guage its effectiveness and have a reality check.
As far as your BMI is concerned just google "how to calculate BMI" and you can do it at your home itself.
The protein shake which is included in the course is based on a simple concept - "Protein helps lose(fat) as well as gain(muscle)" The "full-to-the-brim" feeling which you have is because of that only. So instead of having your regular meals you will skip them cuz you will be already full and there will be fat loss eventually. However, I am unsure about the herbal tea.
At last, do it if you feel like doing and better I would suggest if you really feel you need to tone down Go hit the gym man! It will take longer but will have many other benefits.!
Open to any corrections if i am wrong!

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2012, 20:16   #599
BHPian

Default Re: Herbalife - Is it really effective ?

I know someone who tried out something similar.
the person had to drink these shakes for some months.
now that person was overweight and now after the weight loss looks kinda weird ( face looks a bit crooked).
considerable amount of weight was lost but the person doesn't look good.

they make you drink these protein shakes because they feel heavy and won't make you feel hungry for some hours.

I think you should be better off with joining a gym instead.
StrangeWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2012, 21:08   #600
BHPian

I tried it a long time ago and they do work to curb your hunger. But they are really detrimental to your health in the long run. It is better to hit the gym or the pool. Together with watching what you put in that Mouth
Pedaltothefloor is online now   Reply With Quote