Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 19th March 2013, 17:15   #676
BHPian

Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Whoaa, Prajwal thanks for this post!! I tried the 2 yogasanas yesterday and I agree with you those were tiring.I checked out a couple of videos on youtube and practiced. Is it ok for ex smokers to try this out, as they tend to gain weight.
Ikoner_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 19:56   #677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikoner_03 View Post
Whoaa, Prajwal thanks for this post!! I tried the 2 yogasanas yesterday and I agree with you those were tiring.I checked out a couple of videos on youtube and practiced. Is it ok for ex smokers to try this out, as they tend to gain weight.
Kapalbhati is ideal for ex-smokers. A long time ago, a friend had been to the Art of Living course. He was a heavy smoker. After about a month or so, when he had started feeling better, he started coughing. The cough just didn't stop. In 2 days, he started spitting out some black stuff out of his mouth. I believe that was the accumulated tar which had coated his throat pipe and the lung entrance areas. That was amazing to see.

Beginners will find Kapalbhati a little tiring and difficult to do because the body needs to have the stamina and the diaphram needs to have the strength to keep flapping continuously. It is always advised to break for a few seconds after every 50 strokes. Once strength is built up, even 200 strokes will not be difficult. Regular practice will take just a week or 2 to get the strength.

Prajwal

Last edited by prajwalkashyap : 19th March 2013 at 20:02.
prajwalkashyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 20:16   #678
Senior - BHPian

Downloaded a nice app for weight loss management on an android. It's called Noom.
Here's the link:
http://play.google.com/store/apps/de...53c2wubm9vbSJd
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2013, 05:20   #679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Downloaded a nice app for weight loss management on an android. It's called Noom.
Here's the link:
http://play.google.com/store/apps/de...53c2wubm9vbSJd
I used it for a while. It didn't have too much items listed in the menu to add quickly. It had to be entered manually. I use myfitness pal and its a better app. Noom also tries to pressure for full version all the time. I would advise you to give my fitness pal a try. its great and very light.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2013, 09:38   #680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I would advise you to give my fitness pal a try. its great and very light.
Thanks will do, next week. This week's achievements are being logged in Noom- so running with it for a few more days.
BTW- really liked the pedometer feature on Noom - sort of like "free exercise"
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2013, 09:56   #681
Senior - BHPian

I have been using Noom's Cardio Trainer app and MyFitnessPal app to help with the weight-loss. Good thing about MyFitnessPal is that it let's you enter "Aloo Mutter" or "Mutter Paneer" and it would give you an approximate value of the calories consumed. Entering the same in Noom's weight-loss app would require me to specify "Golf ball sized portion of Mutter", "3 tsp of oil" etc etc - too tedious. For the Indian context, MyFitnessPal is a lot better.
StarrySky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 13:24   #682
BHPian

I had started cycling during late Dec 2012. First few days were of cycling were a mere 6 kms in 30 minutes. This in a few weeks became 16 kms in 45 minutes. And around mid-March, with 500+ kms and nearly 45 days of cycling spread over 2.5 months, I weighed lesser by 8 kgs and narrower by approximately 3 inches at the waist and was able to fit into my discarded jeans and trousers!
This mode of weight loss apparently seems to be more sustainable and a lot faster than the brisk walking (graduated from 1.2 kms in 20 minutes to 6 kms in 50 minutes over 3 months) which I had to give up on account of knee pain.
AlokSriva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 16:54   #683
BHPian

So after running 6 kms a day for the last 6 months, I hit a road block. I fell off a motorcycle and tore my MCL in my knee. the doc says no workouts for 6 weeks at least, and even then it will be only swimming for the next 5 months.

trying to keep a check on my eating, but since that's the most difficult thing in the world for me to do, wanted to know if anyone had suggestions on what I can do to keep the weight off?

Already a kilo up from the day of the accident. Urgh
djpeesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 17:17   #684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
So after running 6 kms a day for the last 6 months, I hit a road block. I fell off a motorcycle and tore my MCL in my knee. the doc says no workouts for 6 weeks at least, and even then it will be only swimming for the next 5 months.

trying to keep a check on my eating, but since that's the most difficult thing in the world for me to do, wanted to know if anyone had suggestions on what I can do to keep the weight off?

Why dont you try eating more healthy stuff whenever you feel hungry. For people who can not stay away from food and have workout constraints, this is the best formula.

Eat Veg, salads, corn.. etc. Anything without oil.
Another thing to burn out calories, Green tea 10-12 cups a day, without Sugar.
Googleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 10:56   #685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

How about trying Aqua Jogging ? Basically running in the pool. It is one of the most popular training exercise for runners when they are injured.
Fountainheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 13:02   #686
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Try low carb. Increase meat and fat consumption. Reduce carbs.

Very easy diet to follow if you like to eat meat & fish. But won't work if increase meat & fat without reducing carbs.
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 13:43   #687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Workout just does not mean lower body workout.
For 6 weeks you can do the following.
1. Get a set of adjustible dumbbells and do upper body workouts sitting on the bench .Start with small weights for warmup and then with higher weights.

You can do chest press ( incline, incline, straight) shoulder press , arnold press , biceps , triceps , lateral dorsi , pac fly etc just with pair of dumbbells

Do higher number of repetitions.

2. You can do abs and lower back exercise with out bending or straining your knees. Best is to do abs and back on alternate days.

After 6 weeks you can do swimming + weights or eleptical exercise.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 15:25   #688
Distinguished - BHPian

Quick update:

As of 15/12/2013.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I've always thought of myself as a few kgs overweight at max! Excess fat around the belly was my major concern, and recently I had gained a few extra kilos than my usual weight.

Had been trying to reduce from past one month almost, but my targets were to lose 2-3 kgs that i gained recently - and I have almost succeeded in that. My usual jeans size became really tight a month back, and now - once again I'm comfortable in it.

However, a quick check at the BMI index yesterday showed that i am overweight by atleast 10kgs. I now see that my targets should be a lot more aggressive.

I am around 180cms tall and weigh 90kg when i last checked around a month back (I suspect it should be around 89/88 now!). I plan to reduce it to 80 by next march. This thread has been a big inspiration for me, and I guess - I will document my progress here itself so that I can keep my commitment and if I succeed - others can get inspired from it.

My plan is to try reducing carbs (As mentioned in the last page - Have been working on it from past 1 week), reduce sugar/ maida products, drink more water and strive for a more active lifestyle. Exercise will be a 1 hour walk daily. Trying to take up cycling, but not sure of the timeframe yet.
3/03/2013 -
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Quick update. I've touched the 85 mark now, something I've never seen since my early college days. I guess I've successfully shed around 7 kgs over past 3 months.

Exercise is done mostly at home. I walk for 2 hours on free days, take stairs instead of lift, concentrate on fruits/vegetable diet. Have reduced my rice/wheat intake by a big margin- without starving.

The best part? I've never felt better. Energy levels have gone really high, tiredness has stop haunting my evenings, i feel a lot more confident about myself, waking up in the morning is a fresh affair, better work- life balance etc. I'm loving it!

Plan to reduce it to around 80 as per the BMI scale.
I've now touched 82.5 kgs on the same weighing scale.

Done with almost 10- 12 kgs since I started on this mission. Another 2.5 kgs to go to meet my targets - and then try to get my body in proper shape as well. Long run - I plan to make my peace with weight of around 80 kgs.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 17:07   #689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post

Workout just does not mean lower body workout.
For 6 weeks you can do the following.
1. Get a set of adjustible dumbbells and do upper body workouts sitting on the bench .Start with small weights for warmup and then with higher weights.

You can do chest press ( incline, incline, straight) shoulder press , arnold press , biceps , triceps , lateral dorsi , pac fly etc just with pair of dumbbells

Do higher number of repetitions.

2. You can do abs and lower back exercise with out bending or straining your knees. Best is to do abs and back on alternate days.

After 6 weeks you can do swimming + weights or eleptical exercise.
Many thanks. I'll try this starting today. I gave up lifting weights when I started running. Any idea for what to start with?
djpeesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 18:46   #690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Many thanks. I'll try this starting today. I gave up lifting weights when I started running. Any idea for what to start with?
Depends on how much strength you have.

For average male who is not too much in to weight training I would say 5KG dumbbell is good warm-up weight and then can progress to 7.5 , 10 , 12.5 KG in 3 sets as per body strength , After couple of weeks you can move up as your body gains strength.

Chest exercises can be done with heaviest and biceps will be lower and shoulders with intermediate weight. Triceps can be same as warm-up weight.

After a week or so you will find out what weights suits you.

Here is a good quality set of adjustable dumbbells which you can keep at home. Don't buy local cast iron ones because they make too much noise
and threads gets loose up during workout.

http://www.decathlon.in/BELTS-AND-DU...TCASE-KIT-20KG
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote