Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 4th April 2013, 14:36   #691
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

For an average exerciser the best dumbell size is 5kg which can be used more for repetitions. I use it for free hand exercise, ab crunches, leg raises. Almost everything as its the most ideal weight.

7.5kgs is heavy

10kg is just too heavy which ultimately reduces your repetitions

I stick between 5kg-7.5kg. Never used 10kg and dont plan too as well

My problem is same. Been going to gym from 2 months and not much difference maybe 2 kgs drop since my diet hasnt changed much.

I love good food and that too for dinner which iam unable to avoid.

Can anyone list out good food ( tasty stuff not the oats, soup regime) that can be enjoyed and at the same time not add too many calories?
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 16:03   #692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

7.5kgs is heavy

10kg is just too heavy which ultimately reduces your repetitions

I stick between 5kg-7.5kg. Never used 10kg and dont plan too as well

My problem is same. Been going to gym from 2 months and not much difference maybe 2 kgs drop since my diet hasnt changed much.

I love good food and that too for dinner which iam unable to avoid.
Well if you can't control diet just need to burn more , So if you see don't consider 7.5 KG as heavy and keep same repetitions as 5KG you will burn much more calories , heavier the weight more muscle fiber you build and more fat will be burned by muscles.

BTW for any exercise you should do minimum 3 sets of 12 - 16 reps each
once you increase the weight the rep will come down to about 8 so seek a buddy's help to push you to 12 for couple of days and after 3-4 days you will find yourself doing 12 without any assistance keep on pushing and in a week or so you will be doing 16 reps again with increased load.

This is a standard method to graduate to next higher weight.

PS: You need to change the definition of good food everything is in mind
so oats without sugar is the new good food.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 16:09   #693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I love good food and that too for dinner which iam unable to avoid
I think you surely need to avoid having heavy dinner. Whatever good food you like, eat it for lunch. You may have to cut down on the quantity of food as well, for eg: have 1 chapathi less for dinner etc. If you feel hungry, substitue the one chapathi with some salad.

Cutting down on quantity + eliminating snacks + exercise has worked for me. I can see good results in the last 3 months. So much so, someone even came up to me and asked if I have diabetes
StarrySky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 16:37   #694
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
BTW for any exercise you should do minimum 3 sets of 12 - 16 reps eachonce you increase the weight the rep will come down to about 8 so seek a buddy's help to push you to 12 for couple of days and after 3-4 days you will find yourself doing 12 without any assistance keep on pushing and in a week or so you will be doing 16 reps again with increased load.
I use dumbbells only for exercises to reduce my love handles ( side and back bends with dumbells) , abs and leg raises.

I dont use weight for weight related exercise

And, yes each set is minimum 12 reps and total sets is always 3

Quote:
PS: You need to change the definition of good food everything is in mindso oats without sugar is the new good food.
Last few weeks, i have almost completely stopped sugar. None in coffee which i drink and my daily breakfast is either oats or cereal in cold milk with zero sugar

Lunch is always 3 phulkas with some simple veg curry ( non gravy based)

Eat 2-3 oat biscuits late afternoon

Dinner, here the problem starts. By late evening, I start getting dreams of Tandoori Chicken, Apollo Fish, Biryani etc on an almost daily basis

And, i ultimately succumb to these dreams and get something fancy like mentioned above which totally wastes my full day effort of diet and gym exercises

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Cutting down on quantity + eliminating snacks + exercise has worked for me. I can see good results in the last 3 months. So much so, someone even came up to me and asked if I have diabetes
Dont you think I try? I do, I really do but, dinner is one meal we sit down as a family and catch up on the day and on such a meal, eating less seems quite tough

Anyways, i know the trick of losing weight which is simply to reduce the quantity of every possible edible thing and stay away from sugar and fried stuff

Easier said than done !!!
Old 4th April 2013, 17:00   #695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I use dumbbells only for exercises to reduce my love handles ( side and back bends with dumbells) , abs and leg raises.

I dont use weight for weight related exercise

And, yes each set is minimum 12 reps and total sets is always 3
Well as you might already know there is nothing such as spot reduction.
More muscles mean higher metabolism and higher consumption of fuel even while you are resting. You can build more muscles in the areas where muscles exists so If you do shoulders , chest , biceps ,triceps and lunges with dumbbells then you will be strengthening your major muscles.
Of course I am not suggesting it as substitute of aerobic exercise but it is to supplement.

Below is my personal experience of last 9 months.

In my case I used to do around 5-6 KM trail running last summer and I was 86 then just reduced 3 KG after 2.5 months of running weight loss was more of water retention loss because it used to come back if I don't run for 2 days.

I started focusing on muscles for initial 4 months there was not much change just came down to 78 Kg. I was doing less of weights and more of aerobics.

Then I decided to lift heavier weights and in last 3-4 months I am seeing spectacular results by my personal standards.

Now my weight is 74KG and I feel much stronger and I given in to cravings more frequently.
Now people ask me if there is anything wrong I have lost so much of weight.

Earlier my thigh and calf muscles used to get tired doing lunges with 5 Kg
dumbbell in each hand but now I am able to do squats with 50 - 70 Kg ( 3 sets of 50, 60 and 70Kg each ) twice a week and it is great improvement.

So my personal advice to anyone would be do that 5KM running but also do upper and lower body weight training on alternate days at-least 5 days a week.

Last edited by amitk26 : 4th April 2013 at 17:03.
Old 4th April 2013, 19:05   #696
NMS
BHPian

Quote:

Last few weeks, i have almost completely stopped sugar. None in coffee which i drink and my daily breakfast is either oats or cereal in cold milk with zero sugar

Dont you think I try? I do, I really do but, dinner is one meal we sit down as a family and catch up on the day and on such a meal, eating less seems quite tough

Anyways, i know the trick of losing weight which is simply to reduce the quantity of every possible edible thing and stay away from sugar and fried stuff

Easier said than done !!!
Hey Mobike,

There is something that I have been trying for some time, I also love eaaaaaaating !! For people like us it really is a task to loose weight

However, here is the deal,
I try and eat the fatty stuff earlier in the day say by lunch time. I do not take too many precautions with the food I eat till lunch, but try to have home made stuff as much as possible. Sweets, Parathas and the works by around 4-5 last.

Then, depending on the work times, I eat something that can keep me going till dinner time say omelet and chapati for say by 7 last.
Post 7 I try and avoid any carbs at all. Dinner can be salad, which has generous helpings of sausages, or meat, at times tandoori as well (try and avoid it though)

The reason for this is that though we eat chapatis or rice, it finally adds up to the carbs, which in turn spikes the sugar levels in your body. Which isn't the best thing.

Reducing the carb intake as the day progresses has helped me quite a bit. I have lost around 5 Kgs in 2 months.
For physical activity I play Squash for an hour each day. I was playing squash/baddy regularly even before I started with this diet. And wasn't loosing anything.

And yes I have a cheat meal on 2 evenings each week I am sorry if all of this sounds kind of hazy, I am not the best in describing things, but its worked quite well. So you can try to accommodate the Tandoori and the Fish to an extent, but avoid the carbs in the evenings. Say atleast 2 hours before you sleep.

Last edited by NMS : 4th April 2013 at 19:06. Reason: Removing the Extra Smiley
NMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2013, 08:58   #697
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMS View Post
Hey Mobike,

There is something that I have been trying for some time, I also love eaaaaaaating !! For people like us it really is a task to loose
Thanks for the inputs. Yeah, we foodies have a tough time with our weight loss program.

I reckon there is no other solution than foregoing/bare minimum carb-less dinner to see some results. Sigh !!!

Need some inputs here from all :-

Can I have any of these goodies for dinner?

a) 1/2 tandoori chicken? Too many calories?

b) Tandoori Fish?

c) 2-Omlette with 4 slice wheat bread, no cheese or butter?

Please add to above list that can make up an interesting dinner at the same time isnt loaded with calories
Old 5th April 2013, 09:16   #698
Senior - BHPian

mobike008, body is a very complex system. Weight loss is definitely not just calories in and calories out. Having said that, every body works differently. In my case, I just wont be able to drop weight till I control my food. Do one thing. Try to resist good food for 15 days. It will become a habit. After 15 days, you will start feeling a sense of guilt when you eat good food.
blue_pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2013, 09:53   #699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I reckon there is no other solution than foregoing/bare minimum carb-less dinner to see some results. Sigh !!!

b) Tandoori Fish?

If you are looking to reduce carbs - then a & b are best. The calories are not that relevant because they are practically zero carb.

The problem with c is the bread. Replace the bread with cheese & butter & you again have a near zero carb meal. Alternately make it a 3 egg omlette with butter & cheese & 2 slices of whole wheat/grain bread.

And remember when any food package writes wheat flour, it means maida. For atta, it will always be written as whole wheat flour.
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2013, 11:00   #700
Senior - BHPian

Mobike008 couple of questions

1. Are you exercising all alone at home or going to gym ?
Peer pressure and self image playes a lot of role in motivation and it is always good if you are in a group which is little ahead of you so that you are motivated to push you ?

2. You said you have dinner with family and end up eating more. Please don't mind but does everyone in your family eats big portion and you get admonished for eating less . I see this as a common problem in Indian families
so probably telling them about your goals and keep on remindng them may help.

I am a vegiterian so can't comment on the foods you asked aboutbut then few months back when Dara Singh passed away I read about his diet in media. He used to eat one full chicken in prime of his carrier and used to do 1200 dands ( Indian style pushups) in 10 sets of 120 each along with other "regular" exercises so I guess 1-2 chicken should be really too much for some one not working out as much as a professional wrestler.
Old 5th April 2013, 11:54   #701
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You may end up building an awesome six pack but alas it will not be visible.

You will need to reduce your overall body fat percentage. Try doing a couple surya-namaskars instead and check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
After 15 days, you will start feeling a sense of guilt when you eat good food.
Healthy food is actually good food.
Just playing with the words. I understand and appreciate what you are saying. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
The problem with c is the bread. Replace the bread with cheese & butter & you again have a near zero carb meal. Alternately make it a 3 egg omlette with butter & cheese & 2 slices of whole wheat/grain bread.
Blood cholesterol, what about that?

Last edited by bblost : 5th April 2013 at 11:55.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2013, 12:28   #702
NMS
BHPian

Quote:

b) Tandoori Fish?

Please add to above list that can make up an interesting dinner at the same time isn't loaded with calories

Well a,b and c is by itself quite good, C without the bread. Try and eat an omlette made out of egg whites (i know that kills some of the fun)
Eat half a tandoori if that is the only thing that you eat. I have made friends with one of the guys selling tandoori close to my place and I ask him to make it without colour and minimal butter for me.

What about Sauteed veges?

Have you tried boiled chicken, you can add some bare spices to make it taste quite good. A simple mix of chilli garlic paste along with salt and pepper used for marinating the chicken before boiling works quite well for me. Rather apply this paste and steam it.
Also try and couple the food, specially non vegetarian stuff with as much fiber as you can.
Try getting some of the fancy salad sauces to add a different taste each day. But check the contents very carefully before you buy them, Some of them have a high fat content.
Tuna salads can be a good

Simplify it, Heavier the food, try and eat it as away from dinner time as possible.

Ohh and if you have colored water once a while , compliment it with loads of water.

BTW, earlier I had read that you had also started swimming as an exercise. Personally rather than being in a gym, i'd prefer getting my exercise from sports. If that can be done regularly the results can be longer lasting. And since one is interested you feel refreshed at the end of it.

And Yes, get a weighing scale, if you dont have one yet !! It adds to the guilt feeling !!

Last edited by NMS : 5th April 2013 at 12:31.
Old 5th April 2013, 12:57   #703
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Like Bblost said, iam terrified of cholestrol and avoid butter completely and eat a cheese cube ( masala, american onion) occasionally because I love cheese more than butter.

I think its better to eat 2-egg white omlette and 3-4 slice whole wheat bread rather than the option you suggested

Quote:
And remember when any food package writes wheat flour, it means maida. For atta, it will always be written as whole wheat flour.
Oh yeah, I know the trick. we buy ONLY if its whole wheat flour. We dont fall for the "Brown Bread" trick

Quote:
Mobike008 couple of questions

1. Are you exercising all alone at home or going to gym ?
Peer pressure and self image playes a lot of role in motivation and it is always good if you are in a group which is little ahead of you so that you are motivated to push you ?

2. You said you have dinner with family and end up eating more. Please don't mind but does everyone in your family eats big portion and you get admonished for eating less . I see this as a common problem in Indian families
so probably telling them about your goals and keep on remindng them may help.

1. I go to a proper gym which also has a swimming pool and at a stone throw away from home. But, i have stopped swimming because of some cramping issue on my left feet fingers during the initial days and havent tried back again now

I generally work out alone but, made some friends in the gym and we help each other occasionally

Another problem is they are closed on Mondays and open on Sundays. So i generally miss going on sundays, mondays is anyways closed. Due to work related reasons miss out yet another day. So effectively going for 4 days a week.

2. We are vegetarians at home and as a tradition, our dinners are rotis, rice, dal, 2 chutneys, salad as everyone like dinner better

Problem is not with my family, its with me. If i sit with them thinking i will eat only 2-3 phulkas, i end up eating 3 phulkas and then whole lot of rice etc...Basically a will power issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
You will need to reduce your overall body fat percentage. Try doing a couple surya-namaskars instead and check it out.
I tried Surya Namaskar a few times. Un-coached version and had some issues of breathlessness etc. I knew i was doing it wrong

But, I agree its a great weight buster. Need to join a proper yoga class to learn it properly

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMS View Post
Simplify it, Heavier the food, try and eat it as away from dinner time as possible.

Ohh and if you have colored water once a while , compliment it with loads of water.

BTW, earlier I had read that you had also started swimming as an exercise. Personally rather than being in a gym, i'd prefer getting my exercise from sports. If that can be done regularly the results can be longer lasting. And since one is interested you feel refreshed at the end of it.
Lets avoid talking about alcohol even indirectly, it doesnt really serve any purpose on this thread except we all know even that has calories and in general is not good for health

Thanks for your other tips. I feel its all in the mind. If your able to control your mind to get into a binge mode ( which generally happens to be every weekend) then we all should certainly see great results.

Last edited by mobike008 : 5th April 2013 at 12:59.
Old 5th April 2013, 13:58   #704
NMS
BHPian

Quote:
1. I go to a proper gym which also has a swimming pool and at a stone throw away from home. But, i have stopped swimming because of some cramping issue on my left feet fingers during the initial days and havent tried back again now

Another problem is they are closed on Mondays and open on Sundays. So i generally miss going on sundays, mondays is anyways closed. Due to work related reasons miss out yet another day. So effectively going for 4 days a week.

2. We are vegetarians at home and as a tradition, our dinners are rotis, rice, dal, 2 chutneys, salad as everyone like dinner better

Lets avoid talking about alcohol even indirectly, it doesnt really serve any purpose on this thread except we all know even that has calories and in general is not good for health

Thanks for your other tips. I feel its all in the mind. If your able to control your mind to get into a binge mode ( which generally happens to be every weekend) then we all should certainly see great results.
Agreed on the Alcohol bit, Apologize if It violated some of the rules. :(

Regarding the workout, 4 days I feel is also quite good, however, it should be sustained. I used to follow this practice a couple of years back, and it showed good results however the time span in which I saw the results was quite long.

Since you go to the gym regularly, have you tried circuit trainings?

Here are 2 links about circuit trainings. These describe some basic circuits for beginners with proper technique. And are very effective. And the weights that you use in these are basic as well. Try it sometime.

http://www.exercise4weightloss.com/w...-routines.html

http://www.nowloss.com/total-body-ci...-women-men.htm

Last edited by NMS : 5th April 2013 at 14:00.
Old 12th April 2013, 12:17   #705
Team-BHP Support

Last week (Friday to be precise), I was doing Lats exercise and was leaning back a lot while pulling the bar. One gym friend told me, I was doing wrong and asked me to be erect and not lean back while pulling the bar

I had already completed 3 sets of 15 each by then.

Felt a slight pain on Sunday morning in the lower backside. Infact, had a little trouble getting into my jeans. I igonored and went for a long bike ride.

Monday, Tuesday were Ok with light pain which didnt catch my attention
Wednesday, again a slight pain on lower back when i get up in the morning. And, over the day the pain subsided

Yesterday, i couldnt even get up from the bed as the pain was that excruciating. There was a searing pain from right to left side of lower back.

Immediatley went to the doctor and he evaluated me and said could be muscle pain. Prescribed an ointment and tablet twice a day. Iam feeling much better in just one day.

Iam off gym from last week and wanted to check if I can do walking as the doc mentioned not to lift any weights and other heavy objects till i revist him on Monday.

Thanks for your inputs