Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 3rd July 2013, 10:40   #736
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
Check if you have any NeuLife stores in Bangalore. Here in Delhi, they are recognized by the Delhi govt and I just hop into their store to pick up whey. Healthkart is reliable from what I've heard but no personal experiences yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Also, which is a good site to order these Whey proteins at a competetive price? Currently i'm looking at Healthkart.com. Any place in Bangalore which stocks most brands and sell at reasonable prices?
Neulife has a store in Koramangala (60 Feet road and very close to ORR).
Its marked in Google. But also note they are changing the names I think because their products availability is becoming difficult (as per what the store manager told me). Its very difficult to get Optimum Gold Standard. Most times he does not have stock.

Quote:
Pricing matters, yeah. Saw a deal on O.N and picked it up when I was planning to pick up Dymatize ISO-100 (higher price). There is no NeuLife store in B'lore but the original O.N whey product they import is available at HyperMarket stores in B'lore.
He stocks Dymatize too

Last edited by ampere : 3rd July 2013 at 10:54.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 10:48   #737
Senior - BHPian

Post Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
Isopure & O.N are both established brands. I personally consume O.N because of the price differential. Yes Isopure has fewer calories but that will be useless if you do not regulate your diet. I consume O.N & ensure I don't take higher calories from other food sources

I consume 4 eggs a day along with chicken breasts cooked in minimum oil apart from my protein shakes. However, my goal is to build muscle. Evaluate your exercise program and then consult how much protein with regards to your body weight would you be requiring per day.

Check if you have any NeuLife stores in Bangalore. Here in Delhi, they are recognized by the Delhi govt and I just hop into their store to pick up whey. Healthkart is reliable from what I've heard but no personal experiences yet.
Thanks. I started using O.N's 100% Glod Whey since the end of 1st week of June. Also consuming 4 egg whites a day (2 boiled, 2 white omelette). Lots of veggies and peas in particular, low fat milk, etc. Totally cut out sugar and rice.

Pricing matters, yeah. Saw a deal on O.N and picked it up when I was planning to pick up Dymatize ISO-100 (higher price). There is no NeuLife store in B'lore but the original O.N whey product they import is available at HyperMarket stores in B'lore.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Neulife has a store in Koramangala (60 Feet road and very close to ORR).
Its marked in Google. But also note they are changing the names I think because their products availability is becoming difficult (as per what the store manager told me). Its very difficult to get Optimum Gold Standard. Most times he does not have stock.
Oh! That's news. NeuLife's website didn't have a B'lore store listing. O.N Gold standard 100% Whey is available in large quantities in Hypermarket on Brookefield road centre (but the 2.2kgs box has only double chocolate flavour). They had a deal going for 4.5K when I picked it up.

Healthkart's prices are friendlier than NeuLife's. I doubt they'll sell dubious products openly. Has anyone picked up Whey from Healthkart and found issues with it?

Last edited by k_ajay : 3rd July 2013 at 10:53.
k_ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 10:58   #738
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Oh! That's news. NeuLife's website didn't have a B'lore store listing. O.N Gold standard 100% Whey is available in large quantities in Hypermarket on Brookefield road centre (but the 2.2kgs box has only double chocolate flavour). They had a deal going for 4.5K when I picked it up.
I think thats because they may not be Neulife any more. When I went there last month, the name of the store was changed.
In due time, even Google maps may remove it
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 11:31   #739
Senior - BHPian

Post Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Quote:
Neulife has a store in Koramangala (60 Feet road and very close to ORR). He stocks Dymatize too
Oh that's good. I'll pay the store a visit sometime next week just to check prices. My current O.N Gold Std 100% Whey stock should last until end of this month.

Quote:
I think thats because they may not be Neulife any more. When I went there last month, the name of the store was changed.
In due time, even Google maps may remove it
I found them on Google maps. Will go check the store soon. Thanks Ampere.

Last edited by k_ajay : 3rd July 2013 at 11:35.
k_ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2013, 22:52   #740
BHPian

Question Re: The Digital Weighing Scale

Any suggestion for a good digital weighing scale? Preferably, should be available at stores in B'lore.
JMaruru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 03:52   #741
Distinguished - BHPian

I use this and its fairly accurate: http://www.healthkart.com/product/eq...ctReferrerId=1
phamilyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 08:41   #742
BHPian

I have been active on this thread for a while now without much success at weight loss.
However, I have been regular in the gym in the last three months and have avoided outside food consciously and results are starting to show.

However, not much has changed on the scale. While I have lost only 2 kg in this period, (which was a bit frustrating initially) now i need a belt for my trousers and shirt buttons don't threaten to fly off anymore and compliments have started to come by!

So I would recommend all weight loss aspirants to measure your success beyond the scale as well. Good luck!
avingodb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 11:42   #743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
I have been active on this thread for a while now without much success at weight loss.
However, I have been regular in the gym in the last three months and have avoided outside food consciously and results are starting to show.

However, not much has changed on the scale. While I have lost only 2 kg in this period, (which was a bit frustrating initially)
It depends on what you do in the gym as well , A mix of cardio and weight training works best for weight loss . Don't feel shy while picking up weights and don't feel it is too much weight.
For example adult males should start from 5KG onwards and you can take it up to 12.5 to 15kg in an year or so very easily.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 12:12   #744
BHPian

Personally for me, this Thread motivated me to join a Gym, and i was quite regular for almost 10 months, and came down to 87 KG's from a whopping 99 when i joined the Gym.

The summer vacations for the school came by in between, and along with that, went down my motivation to hit the gym, and i stopped hitting the Gym for 3 months.

Result - Weight went up by 4 KG's in 3 months. The trousers were feeling a little tight. I felt i was lugging around my own body etc..

Question : How do the regulars keep themselves Motivated on a daily basis to visit the Gym? I am now finding some excuse or other each day, on NOT wanting to go to the gym.
jkrishnakj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 12:47   #745
BHPian

Quote:

However, not much has changed on the scale. While I have lost only 2 kg in this period, (which was a bit frustrating initially) now i need a belt for my trousers and shirt buttons don't threaten to fly off anymore and compliments have started to come by!

So I would recommend all weight loss aspirants to measure your success beyond the scale as well. Good luck!
My story is similar to yours. First two months with a trainer-no effect. Reason: I wasn't following a diet. Once I started sticking to a diet, my weight loss per week ranged from .5kgs to 1.2kgs. While I do agree with your last point, nothing beats the feeling of seeing the weight go down
KINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 13:13   #746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I wish people would understand that ...
I have trainers at my gym who basically try to dehydrate the trainee, and show them a 1/2 kg difference in weight (pre-post workout).
The idiot trainees go back happy ...

I wonder how many inches off the waist have they lost. (waist being a good measure of body fat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
My story is similar to yours. First two months with a trainer-no effect. Reason: I wasn't following a diet. Once I started sticking to a diet, my weight loss per week ranged from .5kgs to 1.2kgs. While I do agree with your last point, nothing beats the feeling of seeing the weight go down
On the contrary, nothing beats the feeling of your waist getting narrow and chiseled. You look yourself in the mirror, and you see a new person. Others also see your waist, not your weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Personally for me, this Thread motivated me to join a Gym, and i was quite regular for almost 10 months, and came down to 87 KG's from a whopping 99 when i joined the Gym.

The summer vacations for the school came by in between, and along with that, went down my motivation to hit the gym, and i stopped hitting the Gym for 3 months.

Result - Weight went up by 4 KG's in 3 months. The trousers were feeling a little tight. I felt i was lugging around my own body etc..

Question : How do the regulars keep themselves Motivated on a daily basis to visit the Gym? I am now finding some excuse or other each day, on NOT wanting to go to the gym.
In my honest opinion, one should go to gym for one primary aim: getting strong.
Nothing can replace the weights for getting strong. (perhaps a good dose of IGF-1 and Testosterone may ;-) )

To get less chubby there are million things to do: walking the entire day, swimming for an hour, jogging, running, dancing, dieting, playing sports like football, tennis etc ...

So if you want to visit the gym regularly, hit the weights with an aim of getting strong (if not on a week to week, then make it month to month).
That would also keep you motivated.

What do I mean by getting strong? Lifting more weights
You did squat with empty bar when you started (for whatever reps or sets), you are doing with 20 kg now (same reps/sets), and by the end of year you would be on 40 kg.
That is = getting strong.
Once you have that in you, you can never ever miss gym.

Last edited by alpha1 : 16th July 2013 at 13:23.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 13:53   #747
BHPian

So after months of avoiding this thread, I am finally posting here. After being told many times by all relatives that I have become fat, I have decided to do something about it. I am 5'11'' and weigh 88kgs. I am not sure what my ideal weight should be but I estimate it to be around 75-80Kgs - please correct me if I am wrong here.

I went to my building gym and the trainer told me "You will have to exercise as well as monitor your diet. Avoid fried food, Rice, sweets etc". I am finding it very hard to follow it. Can you guys suggest a good diet keeping in mind I am a vegetarian? I have started going to the gym though only on weekends (which my instructor tells me is not much helpful). I do a mix of cardio + weights.

P.S. - The one and only inspiration for me doing this is Dark Knight Rises movie - specifically when Batman is in Bane's prison and decides to do push ups etc to get out of the prison. I want to reach this level!

Last edited by Saanil : 16th July 2013 at 13:54.
Saanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 15:27   #748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
So after months of avoiding this thread, I am finally posting here. After being told many times by all relatives that I have become fat, I have decided to do something about it. I am 5'11'' and weigh 88kgs. I am not sure what my ideal weight should be but I estimate it to be around 75-80Kgs - please correct me if I am wrong here.

I went to my building gym and the trainer told me "You will have to exercise as well as monitor your diet. Avoid fried food, Rice, sweets etc". I am finding it very hard to follow it. Can you guys suggest a good diet keeping in mind I am a vegetarian? I have started going to the gym though only on weekends (which my instructor tells me is not much helpful). I do a mix of cardio + weights.

P.S. - The one and only inspiration for me doing this is Dark Knight Rises movie - specifically when Batman is in Bane's prison and decides to do push ups etc to get out of the prison. I want to reach this level!
Few points based on my personal experience. Please check if that can help:

Achieving significant wait / fat loss by exercise alone without diet control is very difficult. I do moderate exercise (twice a week) and do the following diet control.

1. Cut down sugar as much as possible. Sugar is the major culprit. One way is to eat more fruits daily (in empty stomach) which will reduce the sweet appetite automatically.

2. Dont' eat late dinner, preferably have a good meal around 6 or 7 and have some fruits in the night (it is difficult to practice, as you will feel hungry in the night. It took couple of months for me to get adjusted to this)

3. Rice/wheat makes no difference, both are bad. You can't avoid, but eat less

4. As much as possible, avoid any processed food / packet food.
r_devakumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 16:43   #749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
. I am 5'11'' and weigh 88kgs. I am not sure what my ideal weight should be but I estimate it to be around 75-80Kgs - please correct me if I am wrong here.
BMI from 20 to 24 is considered normal so weight range is 65 to 78.
Taking BMI of 22 as ideal for adult make it should be 71 KG

Quote:
I have started going to the gym though only on weekends (which my instructor tells me is not much helpful). I do a mix of cardio + weights.
Increase the frequency if possible , do at-least 20 - 30 min of cardio if nothing else around 5 days a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post

3. Rice/wheat makes no difference, both are bad. You can't avoid, but eat less
There is a difference
Rice particularly white polished rice has high Glycemic index where as whole wheat floor has lots of fibres and lower GI. So even if there is same amount of carbohydrate it is released slower in low GI food.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 18:21   #750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
Few points based on my personal experience. Please check if that can help:
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
low GI food.
Thanks a lot guys! Appreciate your quick responses. Looks like I will need to keep super strict control over my diet - kind of excited too for this challenge.
Saanil is offline   Reply With Quote