Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 13th August 2013, 15:33   #811
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

@abs182:

I have the same confusion.

I weigh 94 kilos and am 5 feet 10 or is it 9.

My jeans are 34" and I am quite healthy as per my blood reports etc.
In fact my resting heart rate is about 62 bpm. Cycle regularly to office and that is a 36 km round trip.

But my weight never goes away.

I have made peace with it but would love to know why it is so.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 15:40   #812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Sounds familiar to me. At 6ft and 105kilos, I looked well built, not obese, as I actually was. A lot also depends on how you carry the weight, and the clothes you wear.

No such thing as heavy bones, but small, medium and large frames are based on the size of the bones, as indicated by wrist or ankle circumference. Based on your wrist size, look up on Google and you should know where you stand.

If you are ok on these counts, maybe all you need to lose is about 10 kilos.
Can you elaborate on the wrist and ankle size thing? How will that help?

I can take stairs in fact I do take them everyday for 3 floors. NO shortness of breath. And can brisk walk on a treadmill on an incline for 30 mins non-stop.
abs182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 15:56   #813
Senior - BHPian

No one carries fat at the wrist. Wrist circumference is determined by bone size, and is used to determine what kind of frame you have. A large framed person will be heavier than a smaller framed one of the same height, even if both are equally fat or lean.

The same with ankle dimensions.

If your cardio system is in as good a shape as yours appears to be, AND your blood numbers are in the healthy range, and you still have enough energy at the end of a normal day, no cause for concern. As long as your genetically driven health history is fine, and as long as other risk factors like smoking or alcohol are absent.

From a longer terms perspective, getting down to 90 kilos approx may still be a good idea.
Unless you are a strength athlete, for the time you are one.

Last edited by Sawyer : 13th August 2013 at 16:04.
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 16:22   #814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs182 View Post
Here's something I need fellow member's inputs on:

I need some serious help from other members as to when can me an ideal thing for me coz I'm again going to start putting my 'body house' in order!
Get your BMI done, it will give exact figures about your fat % along with Fat mass. I somewhere had the same case when i lost good amount of weight earlier but over the time all efforts wasted when the same amount of weight bounced back.

Generally in those cases, we indeed lose weight due to fat but we also lose the muscle mass too. This is the major reason for any weight to bounce back. Building lean muscle helps you burn more calories even when you are sitting on a chair. my opinion, you should meet some good fitness trainer and tell him that your aim is to achieve fitness and he should be able to help you. I strongly believe that if you lose fat mass and able to retain your muscle mass, you will not look skinny.

All the best.
adroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 16:36   #815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would invite people's attention to my earlier post here - #752.
Being at the right weight is so much more to do with your relationship with food than anything else. Exercise is for fun, fitness and boosting energy levels.
Food is created by God/Nature - take your pick based on personal beliefs - to be savoured and enjoyed, whenever hungry. It is not something to stuff your face with while reading or watching TV, or when you are bored, or miserable for things that aren't working in your life. If you treat food the way it is meant to be treated, and listen to your body, the human body is a wonderful mechanism that can self regulate itself for weight, as it does for other things like temperature.
We have lost touch with our bodies and crash weight loss programs are just as abusive of it.
Bang on and thank you so much for bringing out this pertinent point.First and foremost people need to be comfortable with their body.So true you are on the point of listen to your body. which sadly nobody does imho.we are in a mad race to get the body to listen to us and not the other way.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 16:55   #816
Senior - BHPian

I don't know enough about China, but India is becoming a unique country with malnutrition across the entire economic spectrum.
The poor - and there are plenty of them - because they can't get enough of the right food to eat.
And the well to do - who can, but will spend a lot more money eating a load of rubbish imitating the West, including encouraging obesity in their children.
The entire country, with no public health service worthy of the name, is hurtling towards a health crisis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
we are in a mad race to get the body to listen to us and not the other way.
Here on team BHP, people cherish and spend time/efforts/money on their vehicles - most of which are sold for new ones after 5 years. Maybe 10. And on their body which is for life, ironically, they won't give anywhere near that attention. The thing is, when one is young, one feels immortal.

Last edited by Eddy : 14th August 2013 at 00:35. Reason: Merged
Old 13th August 2013, 18:09   #817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
@abs182:

Cycle regularly to office and that is a 36 km round trip.
Great change to bring for anyone in day to day life. I have been thinking to start commuting to my office by a Cycle. Cycling is a fun exercise which gets a lot of positive benefits which includes Health, Wealth & Pollution Free environment.
adroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 19:32   #818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroit View Post
Great change to bring for anyone in day to day life. I have been thinking to start commuting to my office by a Cycle. Cycling is a fun exercise which gets a lot of positive benefits which includes Health, Wealth & Pollution Free environment.
Yes, except that in India you are vulnerable to traffic, and the traffic pollution. May as well start smoking, the effect of the latter.
Old 13th August 2013, 21:39   #819
BHPian

Started my Weight loss regime last month , this time with clear goals and proper guidance . Have started consultation with Nutritionist Manisha Bandishti , who is a well known life style change management person . With minimal workout and gradual changes in Diet I have so far lost about 6 Kgs .

For now , I've download two home workout videos . Shaun Ts , Insanity and Focus T 25 . Insanity has a 45 minute cardio routine with everydays routine focussing on different parts of the body .

T 25 is the same except that its not 45 minutes , its 25 minutes , so if you're really short of time or dont feel like doing the whole 45 minute thing , then this is best .

Also , follow Neila Rey on google+ who had a amazing 30 days of change workout schedule .

MIxing all the 3 and giving a good workout to the body . As of now am at 105 kg . Hope to come down to 85 by March next year .

Forgot to mention , I've started playing Squash on the weekends to add a lil bit of fun .
gautamkhadse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 11:35   #820
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroit View Post
Thanks.

Quote:
Yes, except that in India you are vulnerable to traffic, and the traffic pollution. May as well start smoking, the effect of the latter.
I am in India and part of a large group of people who are slowly returning to cycling as a means of commuting.

A little help from google maps, a job with flexible timings and a spirit of adventure is all it takes.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2013, 21:46   #821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
Hi w 12,
Just how did you do this? I weigh 99kg and at a height of 183 cms, this is overweight. I have been trying various exercises and food controls, but I don't seem to stick to it. I know its all about the mind. But seeing your post gives me an inspiration. Let me know your journey.
Am no expert . but it is always easy to start with low hanging fruit.

In my case :
1. Used to have 5 - 6 cups of coffee with milk and sugar in a day ( some times even 8 cups !) . Now I have a max of 2 cups , made of low fat milk with sweetener.
2. Soft drinks & fruit juices are banned ( except diet drinks & natural juices )
3. Try to stay way from junk food & freid stuff.
4. Run/Walk / Jog for atleast 3 hours in a week alongwith weight training for another 2 - 3 hours.

Bottom line - ensure that you burn more calories in a day than you consume & you will see all that stubborn fat disappearing over a period of time.

there are no magical formula or magical diets IMO. you have to figure out what works for you & then stick to that plan consistently.
w 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 13:58   #822
BHPian

One of the best ways to reduce weight is through Surya Namaskar, three to five sets takes only five minutes.
Surya Namaskar puts 95% of the body muscles to use and realigns the energy centers of the body for overall well being.
groom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 15:04   #823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs182 View Post
Can you elaborate on the wrist and ankle size thing? How will that help?

I can take stairs in fact I do take them everyday for 3 floors. NO shortness of breath. And can brisk walk on a treadmill on an incline for 30 mins non-stop.
Most people just look at weight and BMI and keep a record of weight to check the progress this may not be the best strategy.

Healthy body is a triangle of strength , flexibility and endurance numbers are just indicators. Below self tests are for everyone on this thread and not specific to you but IMHO they are more wholesome measure of fitness then just weight. If everything else is fine then you can consider weight is just due to body type.

1. Body balance test : How long can you stand on one foot with other 3 limbs stretched that is palms and toe of other foot pointed out. Any thing more then one minute with out wobbling and resting other foot on ground is good sign.

2. Flexibility test :Can you touch / hold toes without bending knees ? If yes then how long can you hold it.

4. Endurance test :
(a) How much distance do you cover in 10 minutes on a treadmill , run as fast as you can. For most healthy people it is above 1.5 KM.
(b) How long you can hold in plank position , Should be above 30 seconds at-least.
Under 30 seconds indicate core muscles are not in good shape and work on core is required.
1 to 1.5 minutes is common for healthy individuals and by working on core you can maximise it.

I would suggest that keep these numbers in your record apart from weight and monitor them as well to check the progress.

Last edited by amitk26 : 21st August 2013 at 15:10.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2013, 13:47   #824
BHPian

My planned weight loss session started yesterday morning at 6 AM with 30 minutes on the elliptical. The calorie counter showed only 35.. And I was sweating.
Today's session was a little better. Stepped up the speed and duration. Calorie count was at 51. Don't know whether this is accurate. If I enter the same duration in an online Calorie Counter, it gives me about 250 Calories burned. Not sure which to believe.
Some stats:-
Weight : 98
Height : 183
Read: Overweight

Know its a slow start, but hey, its a start after-all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
1. Used to have 5 - 6 cups of coffee with milk and sugar in a day ( some times even 8 cups !) . Now I have a max of 2 cups , made of low fat milk with sweetener.
2. Soft drinks & fruit juices are banned ( except diet drinks & natural juices )
3. Try to stay way from junk food & freid stuff.
4. Run/Walk / Jog for atleast 3 hours in a week alongwith weight training for another 2 - 3 hours.
Thanks w12
- Its 2 cups without sugar for me now.
- No soft drinks for quite some time now. Have to do away with the occasional fruit juices. The hunger pangs will have to be handled with fruits, i guess.
- Having trouble staying away from fried food. Steady mind required.
- Started with the walking bit and some more on the elliptical.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 29th August 2013 at 18:09. Reason: back to back posts.
aneezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2013, 09:03   #825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
Thanks for your tips w 12. Total 6 hours work out a week looks reasonable however most of us do not get a chance regularly. With lot of struggle I manage two 1 hour sessions with 60% cardio workout and 40% weight training.

If we could turn some of our regular tasks to help burn calories, thats more practical isn't it? For example, cycling to office if its <5KMs radius. Climbing stairs avoiding elevators. Walking to nearby shops, leaving the car home.

Another big issue I am facing is my sleep duration. 6 hours doesn't look enough .

Last edited by jacs : 29th August 2013 at 09:05.
jacs is offline   Reply With Quote