Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2013, 11:33   #841
BHPian
 
Kimified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 243
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
My suggestion is follow a balanced though limited-calorie diet and stay away from supplements unless you really have any nutrient deficiency. I am taking flax oil, wheatgrass (to increase metabolic rate), fish oil (for Omega 3) and a couple of others but if you consume meat, eggs, milk etc. you should be able to find all the proteins you need in your regular diet. Check with a professional dietician or a doctor for your specific needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
There are broadly two kinds of fat deposits in body subcutaneous that is below your skin all over and visceral fat which surrounds the internal organs and is responsible for pot belly.

Generally you will loose subcutaneous fat earlier and faster , our body is evolved for pre-historic times when surviving hunger spread over several days was important and visceral fat store helped. Or I would say technology has leapfrogged biological evolution and now we never get chance to use visceral fat in our lifetime.
Thanks for the clarification I shall take up some strengthening exercises over the coming months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
Might I suggest that you attend a few Nike Run Club sessions (happens at Kandivali @ Mumbai and Kanteerava Stadium @ Bangalore) on Saturday mornings to pick up some basics of stretches and core-strengthening bodyweight exercises to supplement your running?

The order in which fat (subcutaneous/visceral) starts "melting" off can sometimes depend on your genes from what I've heard my trainer say.

Re: protein supplements, as has already been suggested, a nutritionist's advice would be great to get. I drink a whey-protein shake before my weight training and running/cycling sessions.
Sure. Does it happen on all Saturday mornings? Is it open for all or is there some registration that needs to be done?

Hmm. I need to go meet a nutritionist then. Anyone you would suggest around Jayanagar / JP Nagar / BTM / Basavangudi Bangalore? I am a eggetarian. Have 2 boiled eggs per day and consume a lot of nuts (Almonds, Cashews and Pistachio). Rest of what I consume is pretty much standard veg diet - Chappatis and Bread. Stopped rice 2 months back
Kimified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 12:24   #842
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,026
Thanked: 372 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post

I need to go meet a nutritionist then. Anyone you would suggest around Jayanagar / JP Nagar / BTM / Basavangudi Bangalore? I am a eggetarian. Have 2 boiled eggs per day and consume a lot of nuts (Almonds, Cashews and Pistachio). Rest of what I consume is pretty much standard veg diet - Chappatis and Bread. Stopped rice 2 months back
While almonds, walnuts and even simple groundnut is good but cashews should be avoided of you are trying to loose weight.
Cashews ate full of saturated fats.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 13:07   #843
BHPian
 
prashant.dinkar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ellicott City/New Delhi
Posts: 77
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Wow read almost the whole thread , some really inspiring stories.
I need some help with my weight loss mission .

Currently I am 5 '8 inches tall and weigh around 84 kgs!! Most of the weight is visible at the chest , belly and on my face . I have gained around 12 kgs in last 3 years , prior to that I was 72 kgs , waist 29 , biceps 16 inches and pretty lean overall . During that time I used to workout alot , mainly weight training . I have never done cardio in my life and never tried to loose weight . Infact my focus was always gaining muscle mass.

Since last 1 year I have been feeling miserable , If I don't eat at an interval of 3 hours my eyes will start hurting , hands will be shaky , headache , loss of concentration and will be very snappy . I tried checking my blood sugar when I felt these symptoms and it will always be on lower side i.e from 75 - 80 . I went to a doctor and he has ordered blood sugar and thyroid test along with kidney function and general CBC . He checked my height and weight and told me that my BMI is 27 and I should loose around 14-16 kgs!!

So here I am trying to loose some weight without loosing the muscle mass , if I have any . Since I have never done cardio so I have very limited knowledge about it . Currently I am walking on treadmill for around 45-50 minutes on a speed of 6km/h , doing so I cover a distance of around 4 - 4.5 kms. Apart from this I am not doing anything else at all . My question is will this brisk walking help me loose weight? If not what other exercises should I do . It will be really helpful if somebody can share a schedule sort of thing .

Apart from that anyone of you faced similar problem of feeling terrible from not eating for 3 hours ?

Oh yeah I am 30 years old male if that information matters.


Regards
prashant.dinkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 23:28   #844
BHPian
 
nareshov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 268
Thanked: 164 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post
...
Sure. Does it happen on all Saturday mornings? Is it open for all or is there some registration that needs to be done?
...
It's been happening for about two years now. Registration can be done at the spot itself and is free of cost.
nareshov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 01:58   #845
BHPian
 
AbhishekB86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 330
Thanked: 359 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post

So here I am trying to loose some weight without loosing the muscle mass , if I have any . Since I have never done cardio so I have very limited knowledge about it .
Hi!

The thing you can do is start interval slow jogging. So for example you can jog for 2 minutes and then walk and then jog for 2 minutes and then continue walking. This will burn a lot of calories and as you keep getting used to it within no time you can jog on the treadmill for 10 minutes and then you can keep on going on with running.

You can incorporate weight training (minus protein shakes) to help you tone your body. This will only be beneficial . Also I will suggest Yoga to help you build a more balanced system. Best of luck.

Last edited by noopster : 4th September 2013 at 13:41. Reason: Please refer PM
AbhishekB86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 09:43   #846
Senior - BHPian
 
jacs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,442
Thanked: 706 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
6 hours is definitely less. 7 hours is minimum required sleep to keep one healthy.
Yeah. Even a friendly doctor recommended 8 hours sleep considering I work for IT as brain needs hibernation! Now need to see how can I manage additional 2 hours of sleep.


Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post
Currently I am 5 '8 inches tall and weigh around 84 kgs!!

He checked my height and weight and told me that my BMI is 27 and I should loose around 14-16 kgs!!

Apart from this I am not doing anything else at all . My question is will this brisk walking help me loose weight? If not what other exercises should I do . It will be really helpful if somebody can share a schedule sort of thing .

Apart from that anyone of you faced similar problem of feeling terrible from not eating for 3 hours ?

Oh yeah I am 30 years old male
I am no expert but age, height, weight and symptoms are quite matching with my case. Except for the muscle mass part, I own a family pack . And I am in Cholesterol border level.

In past one year, reduced my weight from 84 to 78 by just doing the below.
  • Avoid lifts and elevators where ever possible and use stairs
  • If there is an opportunity to walk peacefully, do that
  • Reduce rice intake
  • Avoid bakery dishes like puffs, samosas etc when ever possible
  • Reduced red meat intake
  • Increased fruits and vegetables intake
  • Started chosing curries over fried varieties
Now my weight is very consistant at 78Kgs and not falling below that. Target weight is 68Kgs (max 70). I consulted a Gym trainer very recently complaining I am not able to meet my BMI target and Cholesterol levels. Below are the things he recommended. Not so easy as it looks?
  • Hit the Gym atleast 3-4 times a week spending 1 hour each giving more focus on Cardio excercises
  • Split the food intake quantity into 5 slots instead of 3 slots
  • Last slot should be atleast 3 hours before bed and not in the last hour
  • Allocate less percentage for the last slot
  • Cut on fried items completely
  • No egg yolks & red meat
  • Use skimmed milk wherever possible
  • Include the diet with lot of protein rich and fiberous food

Last edited by jacs : 4th September 2013 at 09:44.
jacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 12:15   #847
BHPian
 
aneezan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 408
Thanked: 181 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Spent 1 hour on the elliptical today(after a break of 2 days). Feeling good about it, however, getting hungry. If i take my lunch now(12:15pm), which consists of a little rice and veggies, hunger pangs will definitely strike at about 4 or 5 PM. I am trying to avoid gorging at night, with a little success.
Stats: weight still at 98kg.
aneezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 14:15   #848
BHPian
 
acroback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 314
Thanked: 125 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

I am now 99 kilos.
Odd working hours and over eating are killing me. I need to reduce atleast 30 kilos.

How???? :(
acroback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 14:29   #849
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,625
Thanked: 9,096 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
If i take my lunch now(12:15pm), which consists of a little rice and veggies, hunger pangs will definitely strike at about 4 or 5 PM. I am trying to avoid gorging at night, with a little success.
Stats: weight still at 98kg.
Leaving such long gaps between meals is not a good idea. Your body will tend to think you are starving (no kidding) and convert whatever you consume into fat. Best is to have smaller meals at 3-4 hours intervals. Have a healthy mid-afternoon snack like a fruit or a couple of Marie biscuits if you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
I am now 99 kilos.
Odd working hours and over eating are killing me. I need to reduce atleast 30 kilos.

How???? :(
Read this thread religiously?

I must caution you against plunging headlong into such an ambitious weight loss plan. Even if you are able to do it, you may bounce right back unless you change your lifestyle to a healthy one. Seek a professional opinion (from a trainer or dietician). That will be a good start.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 14:39   #850
BHPian
 
aneezan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 408
Thanked: 181 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Leaving such long gaps between meals is not a good idea. Your body will tend to think you are starving (no kidding) and convert whatever you consume into fat. Best is to have smaller meals at 3-4 hours intervals. Have a healthy mid-afternoon snack like a fruit or a couple of Marie biscuits if you can..
Thanks noopster. Will try to do that. Fruit will be easier to bring to office.
Another option I've been trying is taking the stairs. Trouble is my desk is on the 12th floor. Taking 12 flights of stairs isn't an easy job. I have done it a number of times and it leaves me panting for breath at the top. I still do it now and then. Sometimes I hop off the lift at the 9th and take the stairs from there.
aneezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2013, 17:18   #851
BHPian
 
prashant.dinkar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ellicott City/New Delhi
Posts: 77
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
Hi!

The thing you can do is start interval slow jogging. So for example you can jog for 2 minutes and then walk and then jog for 2 minutes and then continue walking. This will burn a lot of calories and as you keep getting used to it within no time you can jog on the treadmill for 10 minutes and then you can keep on going on with running.

You can incorporate weight training (minus protein shakes) to help you tone your body. This will only be beneficial . Also I will suggest Yoga to help you build a more balanced system. Best of luck.
Yeah I tried this interval training other day and it really pushes you to the limit . Regarding Yoga , I am not very sure as I do not have access to any Yoga trainer and I have heard and read that wrong postures can be deadly for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Yeah. Even a friendly doctor recommended 8 hours sleep considering I work for IT as brain needs hibernation! Now need to see how can I manage additional 2 hours of sleep.




I am no expert but age, height, weight and symptoms are quite matching with my case. Except for the muscle mass part, I own a family pack . And I am in Cholesterol border level.

In past one year, reduced my weight from 84 to 78 by just doing the below.
  • Avoid lifts and elevators where ever possible and use stairs
  • If there is an opportunity to walk peacefully, do that
  • Reduce rice intake
  • Avoid bakery dishes like puffs, samosas etc when ever possible
  • Reduced red meat intake
  • Increased fruits and vegetables intake
  • Started chosing curries over fried varieties
Now my weight is very consistant at 78Kgs and not falling below that. Target weight is 68Kgs (max 70). I consulted a Gym trainer very recently complaining I am not able to meet my BMI target and Cholesterol levels. Below are the things he recommended. Not so easy as it looks?
  • Hit the Gym atleast 3-4 times a week spending 1 hour each giving more focus on Cardio excercises
  • Split the food intake quantity into 5 slots instead of 3 slots
  • Last slot should be atleast 3 hours before bed and not in the last hour
  • Allocate less percentage for the last slot
  • Cut on fried items completely
  • No egg yolks & red meat
  • Use skimmed milk wherever possible
  • Include the diet with lot of protein rich and fiberous food
Hey thanks for the tips man , very helpful .

1 More question for Dinner what will be the better option

4 Egg Whites , onion , salt , gree nchillies Omelette cookied in olive oil with 2 slices of brown bread

Or Half plate brown rice with any regular daal .

I understand that Eggs will provide you lots of protein but I am asking from the calorie point of view , as I am looking for weight loss.
prashant.dinkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2013, 09:10   #852
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,344
Thanked: 1,003 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Apart from eating right, the problem foods aren't egg yolks or full fat milk. Indeed, I would say you are better off eating two full eggs than four whites. Or a glass of full fat milk than two of skimmed. The problem foods are those with added sugar, or/and made from processed flour like maida. Brown bread is almost always maida based with brown colouring. Eat atta made chapaties instead. All food that comes ready to eat in colourful polypacks are bad. Chips, and the like.
The other killer is empty liquid calories - alchohol, beverages, fruit juices other than fresh squeezed. Even the latter isn't a good idea, it is better to eat the fruit.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2013, 09:27   #853
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,444
Thanked: 281 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Apart from eating right, the problem foods aren't egg yolks or full fat milk. Indeed, I would say you are better off eating two full eggs than four whites. Or a glass of full fat milk than two of skimmed. The problem foods are those with added sugar, or/and made from processed flour like maida. Brown bread is almost always maida based with brown colouring. Eat atta made chapaties instead. All food that comes ready to eat in colourful polypacks are bad. Chips, and the like.
The other killer is empty liquid calories - alchohol, beverages, fruit juices other than fresh squeezed. Even the latter isn't a good idea, it is better to eat the fruit.
Fully agree. Here's an article on low fat milk.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/melanieh...arvard-expert/
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2013, 11:00   #854
BHPian
 
r_devakumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 240
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
I am now 99 kilos.
Odd working hours and over eating are killing me. I need to reduce atleast 30 kilos.

How???? :(
Just replace your junk food (any packetted / processed / fried food) with fresh fruits as much as possible. Also, reduce the amount of Sugar intake. Try this for a month and it could give a good improvement
r_devakumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2013, 11:03   #855
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,444
Thanked: 281 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
Just replace your junk food (any packetted / processed / fried food) with fresh fruits as much as possible. Also, reduce the amount of Sugar intake.
These is contradictory advice. Fruit has a lots of sugar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post

1 More question for Dinner what will be the better option

4 Egg Whites , onion , salt , gree nchillies Omelette cookied in olive oil with 2 slices of brown bread

Or Half plate brown rice with any regular daal .

I understand that Eggs will provide you lots of protein but I am asking from the calorie point of view , as I am looking for weight loss.

First one is much better for weight loss.

Last edited by carboy : 9th September 2013 at 11:04.
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whats the weight of your wheel-tyre combo?? Shan2nu Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 30 11th October 2012 15:21
Flywheel Weight Reduction / Lightened Flywheels kpzen Technical Stuff 38 2nd February 2008 15:07
UNSPRUNG WEIGHT - and its effects kb100 Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 12 26th March 2007 15:52
For Sale: Enkei 17" Light Weight Performance Rims autopsyche Shifting gears 0 26th July 2006 23:31


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks