Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 9th September 2013, 11:15   #856
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
These is contradictory advice. Fruit has a lots of sugar.
Not quite. While fruit has sugar, fruit eaten whole will fill you up and that will act as a natural constraint on the sugar intake. But fruit is best eaten on an empty stomach, and not after meals. Consider it as one of the 4-5 meals to be eaten in the day.

Anyone wants to experiment - eat just whole fruit for three days. No limits to which or how much. But only whole fruit without cooking it, and see your weight come down noticeably in just three days. Not a sustainable thing to do, but a great way to kick start a right eating culture.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2013, 14:20   #857
BHPian

Quote:
These is contradictory advice. Fruit has a lots of sugar.
To add to what Sawyer has already mentioned, the fibre content in fruits not only makes you satiated ("feel full") sooner (thereby stopping you from taking in more simple carbohydrates) but also contributes to slower glycemic intake.
nareshov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2013, 17:23   #858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Not quite. While fruit has sugar, fruit eaten whole will fill you up and that will act as a natural constraint on the sugar intake. But fruit is best eaten on an empty stomach, and not after meals. Consider it as one of the 4-5 meals to be eaten in the day.

Anyone wants to experiment - eat just whole fruit for three days. No limits to which or how much. But only whole fruit without cooking it, and see your weight come down noticeably in just three days. Not a sustainable thing to do, but a great way to kick start a right eating culture.
Very important point Sawyer, that fruits to be eaten in empty stomach. Also after eating better not to drink water for about 45 minutes (if needed, drink very little). Fruits take approximately 45 minutes to digest.

However, if one already diagnosed with diabetes, then it is better to get advice from doctor before venturing to fruit based diet.
r_devakumar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2013, 18:24   #859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
Very important point Sawyer, that fruits to be eaten in empty stomach. Also after eating better not to drink water for about 45 minutes (if needed, drink very little). Fruits take approximately 45 minutes to digest.
What is the reason for eating fruits on empty stomach & not drinking water for 45 minutes?
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2013, 19:41   #860
BHPian

Quote:
What is the reason for eating fruits on empty stomach & not drinking water for 45 minutes?
Few points based on various readings and what i am practicing these days....I found the reason behind them good and also based on my practical use, it is good.

- Different type of food needs different time to digest and different level of digestive liquids which will break the food into 'smaller components' for easier digestion
- Fruits being easy to digest needs less than hour, vegetables more than time needed the fruits and next rice/ wheat and Meat needs more time (around 3 hours)
- If we eat Fruits when the stomach already has other foods or along with other foods, then Fruits need to stay more time than it is needed and also it is exposed to more digestive liquids for more time which will make it loose the real benefits in first stage of digestion (ie stomach) and also in the subsequent stage of digestion.
- If we drink more water after any meal, then it needs the stomach to work more to bring the overall food to the digestive stage (both more time and also needs more digestive liquids than the optimal level). Drinking no water after heavy foods (like means, wheat etc) also will make the stomach to over work
- As a general guideline, to get optimal benefit, it is better to eat food which has similar nature together to get better benefits (like fruits alone, when you eat meat, more of meat with less of rice/roti). In this logic, buffet is the worst kind of mean we eat which gives lesser benefit.
- Even within fruits, it is better to combine similar fruits together at a time and not to mix more than two or three fruits at a time (melons, citrix food, and other foods like that) to get best benefit out

[Sorry for the long reply]
r_devakumar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2013, 19:57   #861
Team-BHP Support

^^I think the explanation is simpler than that. Fruits are usually consumed as post-meal desserts instead of a meal in themselves. This could actually result in empty calories being added to an already full body. Hence some dieticians prescribe eating fruit at the start of a meal so that you just substitute the carbohydrates rather than supplement them.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2013, 20:22   #862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post

1 More question for Dinner what will be the better option

4 Egg Whites , onion , salt , gree nchillies Omelette cookied in olive oil with 2 slices of brown bread
Well I really do not any special reason that you should use Olive oil instead of less exotic but equalliy good Sunflower oil / Rice Bran Oil or any other unsaturated oil.
Olive oil is best for salad dressing and decomposes at 200 degrees so mostly unsuitable for Indian cooking where Tadka is Jeera or rai is used.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2013, 21:12   #863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Well I really do not any special reason that you should use Olive oil instead of less exotic but equalliy good Sunflower oil / Rice Bran Oil or any other unsaturated oil.
Rice Bran is probably good, but sunflower isn't good.
I recently switched to Mustard Oil for regular cooking and Rice Bran for frying based on SS_Traveller's post here -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3194996

From what I remember, SS_Traveller is a doctor.

Mustard Oil seems to smell when the cooking is happening but once the food is cooked, I don't see any strong smell - or at least I don't have a problem eating it. For people who still can't stand Mustard Oil, Canola Oil is Mustard Oil with the pungency removed, I think. Canola is a little expensive around Rs. 225 a liter.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2013, 10:33   #864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post
1 More question for Dinner what will be the better option

4 Egg Whites , onion , salt , gree nchillies Omelette cookied in olive oil with 2 slices of brown bread

I understand that Eggs will provide you lots of protein but I am asking from the calorie point of view , as I am looking for weight loss.
Few things
  • Olive oil is a good source of Omega3 which helps in boosting the good cholesterol which is vital for healthy heart. However its best when uncooked. Use it as salad dressing as the benefits fades away as you cook it.
  • Yes Egg whites are rich in Proteins and Calcium with very less calories. 100g egg white has approx 52 calories compared to 155 calories in full egg of same quantity. Egg whites are perfect for breakfast than dinner.
  • No need to starve yourself for weight loss. Baby steps are recommended rather than a sudden diet plan change.
jacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 14:33   #865
BHPian

Any feedback on Shatayu Ayurveda package for weight loss ?
LonelyPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2013, 00:57   #866
BHPian

Need some help BHPians.

I joined Gold's gym last week. The target is to lose 15 kgs in a healthy way in next 4 months. I am 25 kg above ideal. I do not intend to hire a personal trainer and without one, no one cares about you in Gold's Gym. At the moment I am doing 2.5 km in 20 mins on treadmill, the doing 10-15 mins of jumping jacks, crunches etc followed by another 10-12 mins of cross trainer on high resistance. I will increase intensity and duration every week.

Should I begin doing some weights also, to keep the lost weight away? Could someone please direct me to a good exercise plan for the targets mentioned?
pahwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2013, 07:29   #867
Senior - BHPian

Losing weight happens by right eating. Exercise is for health, fitness and motivation to lose weight, so if your objective is to lose weight, it doesn't really matter what exercise you do, as long as you stick to any exercise plan, even the one you are doing. Even a 60 minute walk every morning can work - if you get your eating act together. If you don't, no amount of exercise is going to get that much weight off.
Old 18th September 2013, 09:43   #868
BHPian

I agree with Pahwa. I also have been visiting Golds Gym on Delhi and the trainers will only speak to you if you pay. I have been following a rigorous routine for the last 6 months an have a highly controlled diet. Despite this I have not lost an inch. I have got all my medical tests done and everything is fine, don't know why I haven't lost weight. Any comments will be useful. P.S. I am 7 kgs overweight.
storme'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2013, 10:27   #869
Senior - BHPian

If you haven't lost weight, barring issues like thyroid/other imbalances, re examine your eating habits. If you are eating the right foods in the right quantities at the right times, such that your total energy intake is less than your energy expenditure, physics and biology dictate that you must lose weight.
Old 18th September 2013, 11:09   #870
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
I agree with Pahwa. I also have been visiting Golds Gym on Delhi and the trainers will only speak to you if you pay. I have been following a rigorous routine for the last 6 months an have a highly controlled diet. Despite this I have not lost an inch. I have got all my medical tests done and everything is fine, don't know why I haven't lost weight. Any comments will be useful. P.S. I am 7 kgs overweight.
Did your lean mass change? Weight is not the be-all barometer. Have your pants loosened up? Do you FEEL fitter?
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote