Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 2nd December 2013, 01:16   #946
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R View Post
I just started a workout + diet activity to manage my weight. I used to weigh 100kgs till a couple a weeks ago; Yes. That's when my conscience struck.

Decided on a specific diet for weekdays and weekends

Weekdays:

Morning - 2 egg whites boiled + oats/Apple
Lunch: Brown bread veg sandwich, salads
Evening: Fruits or sweet corn
Dinner: Boiled veggies (beans, carrot) or Oats again or One charcoal burnt Corn

Workout: Morning or Evening brisk walk with short bursts in between, for about 5 kms

I now weigh 98kgs. Let's see how it goes

How was my lifestyle earlier? Well.. there wasn't any style.
Considering you weighed 100kgs, I assumed you have a BIG appetite. How do you manage to stay full till evening with just veg sandwich and salads for lunch?

I'm in my mid-90s, and my major problem is LARGE food intake and zero exercise. I just don't know how to reduce my intake, even if I have diet food, I need a large quantity of it.
Rosso Corsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 20:04   #947
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
Considering you weighed 100kgs, I assumed you have a BIG appetite. How do you manage to stay full till evening with just veg sandwich and salads for lunch?
The trick is to split up your intake into smaller, more frequent meals. Leave no more than 2-3 hours between these mini-meals and your caloric intake will level out and deliver energy to you accordingly. The problem with 3 square meals a day is that we tend to eat more than we need per meal. Also your calories spike at first and reduce to very low levels later, prompting over-eating at the next meal and often encouraging snacking.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 10:46   #948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
The trick is to split up your intake into smaller, more frequent meals. Leave no more than 2-3 hours between these mini-meals and your caloric intake will level out and deliver energy to you accordingly. The problem with 3 square meals a day is that we tend to eat more than we need per meal. Also your calories spike at first and reduce to very low levels later, prompting over-eating at the next meal and often encouraging snacking.
But there is a very genuine downside of taking meals so frequently: you may eat slightly more than your plan, but doing so every 2-3 hours can sum up to a large increase over the plan.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 12:53   #949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
anyone here following a 6-small meals-per-day INDIAN diet plan for weight loss? If so, can you please share it here?
<INDIAN in caps coz iam particular about eating locally available ingredients>
Quote:
Can you please elaborate more about this? I would love to try it out. All the mini meal diets that I see are catered to western cuisine, and consist of ingredients that aren't easily available.
Ha Ha! Rosso, I think Windride is inquiring if anyone is able to replicate the 6 mini meals a day diet plan with Indian food item, similar to what is available with western food. I don't think he has any plan ready with him that he could share.
shipnil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 23:29   #950
BHPian

So an update
Weight loss so far: 5 kgs (126 at the moment from 131.5)
Inch loss: 1 belt notch

Been cycling everyday to work except all of last week when I went on a business trip. The result of said business trip: 2kgs up (been trying to compensate this week as I started off 128.6 on Saturday night when I got back)

The reasons why my weight went up: drinking every night on business trip, lunch and dinner out for 6 days straight.

Now, after about 200km on my virtual bike odometer, I think I need a better bike. The mountain bike is crap in the city. There's too much suspension play, and while I'm OK with bouncing about, the gear derailleurs are falling apart.

So, need suggestions on a good hybrid that won't break the bank (upto 20k rupees). Any ideas. The trek 7100,which is widely praised on the various bike forums has been discontinued. The btwin rockrider, forme 3 and Riverside are sold out and I can't find a store in Mumbai. The Firefox ones are pretty widely dissed online.
djpeesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 05:30   #951
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
So an update
Weight loss so far: 5 kgs (126 at the moment from 131.5)
Inch loss: 1 belt notch

Been cycling everyday to work except all of last week when I went on a business trip. The result of said business trip: 2kgs up (been trying to compensate this week as I started off 128.6 on Saturday night when I got back)

The reasons why my weight went up: drinking every night on business trip, lunch and dinner out for 6 days straight.

Now, after about 200km on my virtual bike odometer, I think I need a better bike. The mountain bike is crap in the city. There's too much suspension play, and while I'm OK with bouncing about, the gear derailleurs are falling apart.

So, need suggestions on a good hybrid that won't break the bank (upto 20k rupees). Any ideas. The trek 7100,which is widely praised on the various bike forums has been discontinued. The btwin rockrider, forme 3 and Riverside are sold out and I can't find a store in Mumbai. The Firefox ones are pretty widely dissed online.
Welcome to the light my friend.

Look up the Montra Rock - its oh kay! The firefox target is good enough as well. I liked the http://suncrossbikes.com/mtb.asp?PID...0Cross%20Bikes in person, though its a bit heavy.

http://www.trackandtrail.in/product-...05&bystyle=yes is nice. Look up the rockriders - they may have a model with lockable suspension closer to your budget.

I would advise you to push the budget to 25-30ish -if you can otherwise have a lifestyle which involves drinking and eating out for six straight days, surely your body (already at a precarious weight) deserves the best cycle you can truly afford. Esp now that you've demonstrated your discipline.

My worry is that at your weight, many bikes would have wheelset or suchlike issues. Hence, a good bike (blame rashtrapati for that) would be a proven MTB from a big brand - and avoid headaches later.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 05:51   #952
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R View Post
Evening: Fruits or sweet corn
Dinner: Boiled veggies (beans, carrot) or Oats again or One charcoal burnt Corn
What sort of fruits do you have in the evening? Anything that has been recommended?

Also, when you have oats for dinner, how do you have it? Just boiled oats?

Trying to replicate a similar approach, hence my query.
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 10:28   #953
Team-BHP Support

After about 5 months of being "good" I got caught up in the Diwali/birthday/vacation madness and my diet and gym routine is badly messed up as of now. Came down from 100 kg to just under 90 last measured but must have put on a couple of kg in the last month. Feel awful but I realize this is part of the cycle. The good thing is I am sticking to some of my dietary practices (don't eat rice, for example) and should be back in action soon. Some words of encouragement would help!
Old 4th December 2013, 12:16   #954
A.R
BHPian

Quote:

I'm in my mid-90s, and my major problem is LARGE food intake and zero exercise. I just don't know how to reduce my intake, even if I have diet food, I need a large quantity of it.
The Veg sandwich for lunch is brown bread with tomatoes, cucumber and cabbage. The salad is of decent quantity with a combination of sprouts and veggies. Then the mean also includes a juice - lime with honey or Papaya w/o sugar.

I eat a heavy breakfast - A large apple, oats, two egg whites and Green Tea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
What sort of fruits do you have in the evening? Anything that has been recommended?

Also, when you have oats for dinner, how do you have it? Just boiled oats?

Trying to replicate a similar approach, hence my query.
Evening, its mostly watermelon, muskmelon, papaya, some apple slices and couple of slices of banana. Recommended stuff are melons in good quantity and berries. Now since I'm still at work in the evening, I have to depend on what the office stall has to offer.

Yes, Oats for dinner is boiled. If I'm still hungry, I eat another Apple followed by Green Tea.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 4th December 2013 at 17:03. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts. Plz use the Edit button if posting within 30 mins of previous post. Thanks.
A.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 14:18   #955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
After about 5 months of being "good" I got caught up in the Diwali/birthday/vacation madness
I am in the same boat Noopster. My max weight was 98.5 and had come down to 96.00 before Diwali. Now back at 98 and trying to reach that goal of 90.

Now my routine involves 45 mins tt, and 30 mins in gym in a combination/alteration of running, elliptical and weights and stretching.
Keeping the routine is the biggest challenge.
avingodb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 21:39   #956
BHPian

Week 4 of bike to work began today.

Even without the bike shorts, I don't have a pain in my backside anymore. I rode the Hercules still (I need to start using my new rockrider 5.0 but that's a different story). Morning and evening commute times down to 25 mins from about 35-40 minutes.

Weight about 125. Need to stop eating ice cream.. . My latest obsession.

On a side note, I've calculated that I've saved 140 liters of diesel in the last 4 weeks. That's about 9,000 rupees worth of savings. Although, I think the xuv is feeling very unloved at this point.
djpeesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2013, 15:26   #957
BHPian

Quote:

Rossa Corsa, You can reduce your intake if you start doing the following
1. Have a glass or two of water before your mealtime. Your gastric juices in your stomach are already quenched
2. If you are eating Salad and a Sandwich, start with the Salad first. It would make you feel full before you move to sandwich. You need both as Salads are easily digestible when compared to Sandwich which takes sometime to digest and need them to go longer before feeling hungry again
3. Eat slowly relishing every bit of food that your eat. Trust me you would start feeling full earlier than normal. This is important. And please allocate sometime for your meals. Please do not rush
4. Try to listen to your tummy. If you feel your tummy is full, STOP!. Do not feel guilty if you still have some food left over. It is ok to waste food for first few days. You will learn to have smaller helpings the next time around.

All of the above can be done only if you have very, very, very strong motivation to loose weight. No Motivation = No Improvement (applies everywhere). Sorry if I sounded very preachy! but all of above is based on my experiences.
DWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2013, 18:04   #958
Senior - BHPian

Weight loss begins in full swing on Jan 7th. Have an old rickety scale at home, which always shows a couple of kilos over showed 103 yesterday. At 6 foot, that is definitely over weight.

My target as i understand is to reduce overall body fat. This should reduce body weight. So anything that helps to burn faster should help. Reduce fat intake and increase fat burn should help in this process. Is this logic correct?

I also have another problem, i don't understand food. This means, when people say this has x number of calories, y number of fat and z number of sugar, i am lost. I also dont understand when people say that protein is important, or is it to be avoided? What food contain proteins? How are all these things related? sugar is converted to calories or is it converted to fat? How do i understand this? I understand that a particular food like, oats, brown bread, is good. I don't know why they are being recommended. This leaves me in a huge predicament, because i am unable to substitute what i am currently having to something that i might even think about having based on taste preferences if i have to stick to the diet for a long term.

Last edited by govigov : 11th December 2013 at 18:07.
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2013, 20:22   #959
BHPian

Hi guys. I am going through a weight loss routine right now. Thought I would share my progress as well as my routine.

I was always slightly on the heavier side but last couple of years with no exercise and an extreme case of over-eating I went from bad to worse. Finally a few months ago it dawned upon me that I'm leading to a path which will destroy me with family history of hypertension, heart problems as well as diebetes.

I started with a weight of 95 kgs about 3 months ago. Which for an average height of 5' 9" is quite high. I had given myself 1 year to loose about 15 kg of weight to achieve a decent weight of 80 kg.

Today I weight just under 85 kg. I have lost over 10 kgs in under 3 months time. I was really surprised at the speed of my weight loss. BUT!! Let me tell you, this is without any special diets or rough weight loss routines or starvation!

What I did -

1) Exercise routine - 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes of moderate exercise 5 to 6 days a week.

Initially I only walked for 45 minutes and did stretches, 10 Suryanamaskar and light abs for 15 minutes.

I slowly started jogging and now I jog about 80% of the routine. Intensity of Abs and other free weight exercises has increased.

A month ago I started weight training every alternate day. Light weights, more repetitions and lot of stretches and abs.

2) Food - I stopped eating like a pig!! Period. I still eat normal everyday home cooked food with no modifications. I have heavy breakfast every morning same as before. Moderate lunch and dinner of 2 rotis, subzi and daal. Very rarely rice.

I still eat out once a week or so but the quantity has gone down to almost 60% of what I used to eat.

If I get hungry between meals or a few hours after dinner, I drink a big mug of plain milk. Which helps quite a lot.

3) General activity - I had become thoroughly lazy in the last couple of years. I just try to move around as much as I can. Take a small walk, use the stairs and go out and do some random work like buying household stuff, groceries etc. in the free time.

I hear a lot of talk about very stringent diets and starving or even artificial diet supplements, proteins etc. I have to say this, these things are not required. Our activity in general is so less that we don't need extra protein or what have you. Conversely we do not need to starve ourselves to reduce weight. We just need to eat our normal home cooked food with little salad in just the right quantity everyday. Plus a decent dose of plain milk daily and eggs/chicken/fish every few days provides good balanced nutrition.

The other thing that I think we need is the right attitude. Suddenly becoming overburdened with the idea of weight loss and doing it just to loose the 10 or 15 kg cannot be a goal. The routine has to become part of your personality. Most people after achieving their target weight become ignorant again and gain weight as fast as they had lost it. Exercising regularly and eating right should become part of everyday life. Plus I feel it is equally important to go for a slight binge once in a blue moon to keep us satiated. We cannot stop doing what we love, just do it with control.

Hope I havn't bored you guys. But this is what I have realized after going through the same routine for the second time in my life at the age of mere 27!!! First major weight loss happened at the age of 18 and then after a few years I got super complacent. But I am back now!! And even after reaching 80 kgs I will continue.

Hope everyone of you reach your goals and become genuinely fit, not just till the weight loss is achieved but for the rest of your lives. Cheers!!

P.S. - A GOLDEN RULE - Never exercise so much that you feel drained out and never eat so less that you feel starved. Vis a versa.

Last edited by thumpingheart : 11th December 2013 at 20:33.
thumpingheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2013, 08:36   #960
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Weight loss begins in full swing on Jan 7th. Have an old rickety scale at home, which always shows a couple of kilos over showed 103 yesterday. At 6 foot, that is definitely over weight.
Friendly advice. Start NOW! You will actually stay more motivated if there is no artificial pressure on you. New Year's, birthdays and such events tend to prompt "resolutions" that seldom work. Gyms have maximum signups in January and maximum dropouts in February for a reason!
Quote:
My target as i understand is to reduce overall body fat. This should reduce body weight. So anything that helps to burn faster should help. Reduce fat intake and increase fat burn should help in this process. Is this logic correct?
Reduce CALORIC intake. Excess carbs that get converted to fat are more likely to be a problem than pure fat intake, which most of us consciously control unless you eat fat rich foods a lot.
So follow a restricted but balanced diet. Do a combination of cardio and weight training. You can start with pure cardio but as you start losing weight, you would want to develop some form or else the lost weight will not look good on you after a point. Basic weight training focused on core muscle groups will help immensely. Muscle building will probably slow down your absolute weight loss but don't worry too much about that.
Quote:
I also have another problem, i don't understand food. This means, when people say this has x number of calories, y number of fat and z number of sugar, i am lost. I also dont understand when people say that protein is important, or is it to be avoided? What food contain proteins? How are all these things related? sugar is converted to calories or is it converted to fat? How do i understand this? I understand that a particular food like, oats, brown bread, is good. I don't know why they are being recommended. This leaves me in a huge predicament, because i am unable to substitute what i am currently having to something that i might even think about having based on taste preferences if i have to stick to the diet for a long term.
I sincerely advise you consult a good dietician to start you off on the right foot. By the way nutrition is not rocket science; any decent health website will be able to answer most of your queries. But we are often bogged down by a lifetime of bad eating habits and thorough misinformation. If you are in Mumbai PM me and I will send you a good dietician's contacts.