Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2014, 10:30   #1006
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 553
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Now can someone please give me a certain direction as to how i should loose weight?
Asit, how tall are you? If I assume you to be of Indian average height, 98 kgs is a serious weight and that too for 20 year old when one is quite active.

I am not going to tell you anything new which you might not have already read on the net. But I can add my own views.

Regarding food, there is no point in counting it in terms of chapati or dal rice. You'll have calculate how much calories you are eating and then based on that you have to see whether you have to increase/decrease current intake.

Exercise cannot be done on and off, especially for weight loss. It seems you only focus on it during your semester breaks. It will not work. You must take out time for it even during regular terms. Yes, it need not be 7 days a week, 365 days a year but it has to be fairly regular.

Regarding what exercise, well my experience says, you should take up what you enjoy. No point in something suggested by other which you do not enjoy. I am overweight, by BMI standards, but when I decided to take up some exercise, someone suggested gym, someone swimming, someone climbing stairs, internet said HIIT and so on. I tried all these but somehow it was not working out. I was not a regular and even when I did it I did not enjoy it. So I was unable to achieve my objective.

Finally, I stumbled upon cycling. We have a bicycles thread and I was lurker there and then I came across one fantastic travelogue by ADC, done on bicycle. So decided to give it a try. Rented a bicycle and went on morning rides for two weeks. I realized I am enjoying this. So finally bought a decent bicycle and am fairly regular in cycling.

So take up what you'll enjoy, the probability of sticking to it will be much higher
shipnil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2014, 16:30   #1007
BHPian
 
asit.kulkarni93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pune/ Bahrain
Posts: 515
Thanked: 458 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Asit, how tall are you? If I assume you to be of Indian average height, 98 kgs is a serious weight and that too for 20 year old when one is quite active.



I am not going to tell you anything new which you might not have already read on the net. But I can add my own views.



Regarding food, there is no point in counting it in terms of chapati or dal rice. You'll have calculate how much calories you are eating and then based on that you have to see whether you have to increase/decrease current intake.



Exercise cannot be done on and off, especially for weight loss. It seems you only focus on it during your semester breaks. It will not work. You must take out time for it even during regular terms. Yes, it need not be 7 days a week, 365 days a year but it has to be fairly regular.



Regarding what exercise, well my experience says, you should take up what you enjoy. No point in something suggested by other which you do not enjoy. I am overweight, by BMI standards, but when I decided to take up some exercise, someone suggested gym, someone swimming, someone climbing stairs, internet said HIIT and so on. I tried all these but somehow it was not working out. I was not a regular and even when I did it I did not enjoy it. So I was unable to achieve my objective.



Finally, I stumbled upon cycling. We have a bicycles thread and I was lurker there and then I came across one fantastic travelogue by ADC, done on bicycle. So decided to give it a try. Rented a bicycle and went on morning rides for two weeks. I realized I am enjoying this. So finally bought a decent bicycle and am fairly regular in cycling.



So take up what you'll enjoy, the probability of sticking to it will be much higher
Well I am about 5'8/5'9. And yes in the last the 3 months I have managed to put on these 10kgs. Anyway even I enjoyed cycling maybe I should think of starting it again. No it's not my semester break but then now I just got some spare time and this time whatever I stick to shall remain a part of my schedule always. So well I am returning to my brisk walking schedule from tomorrow. But then I also plan to start cycling so I will choose one of the two after I try them for about 15days. Thanks for your guidance
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2014, 20:21   #1008
Senior - BHPian
 
ad3952n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Noida (U.P)
Posts: 1,583
Thanked: 1,835 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Hello all,
So finally i have decided to reduce my weight seriously.I weigh about 98kgs which is too bad. As for the diet i am a pure veg. have stopped all pani puris, sadwiches, macd visits. My usual diet consists of 2-3 chapatis and sabji. If i eat one or one and half chapati then i take dal-rice. In the evening its just chapatis or i prefer khichdi. Mornings are uncertain either its just tea with toasted bread or corn flakes or nothing ( which leads to a heavy lunch).
Hi mate, I am 6ft tall and my weight is 80Kgs so the solution for reducing weight for me has been a glass of hot water with lemon and honey right in the morning. It has worked well for me as I cant get up early and go to a park for exercise. You can also try this solution and I am sure it will work.

Secondly, dont ever skip the meals. Keep having food in controlled quantity.

Thanks

AD
ad3952n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2014, 20:32   #1009
BHPian
 
asit.kulkarni93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pune/ Bahrain
Posts: 515
Thanked: 458 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
Hi mate, I am 6ft tall and my weight is 80Kgs so the solution for reducing weight for me has been a glass of hot water with lemon and honey right in the morning. It has worked well for me as I cant get up early and go to a park for exercise. You can also try this solution and I am sure it will work.

Secondly, dont ever skip the meals. Keep having food in controlled quantity.

Thanks

AD

Thanks mate,
One of aunts also had suggested this method I guess I should start it. And well brisk walking for an hour is on from tomorrow.
Thanks,
Asit
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014, 12:46   #1010
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,026
Thanked: 373 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Asit only sure way to loose weight is to burn more calories then calories you eat.
Brisk walk is one way but jogging will burn some more and working out in Gym even more.

So stop thinking and join back gym, control your diet cutting extra calories .

PS: Honey is fructose + minirals there is no way drinking it in warm water can cut weight.
Actually for most people Honey in warm water becomes substitute of milk and sugar laden big cup of morning tea so there is some reduction in calories consumed.
But seriously for you I don't think this small reduction can help you loose weight from 98kg.

IMHO take honey lemon if you want but then go to gym start with 20 minutes of cardio followed by streatches then weight training atleast 5 exercises with 3 set each end the routine with 10 more minutes of cardio and in tge end stretching exercise for muscles you worked.

Be patient and wait for healthy weight loss you should not try loosing too fast by artificial means.

Last edited by amitk26 : 12th March 2014 at 12:54.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014, 12:54   #1011
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,557
Thanked: 6,313 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Thanks mate,
One of aunts also had suggested this method I guess I should start it. And well brisk walking for an hour is on from tomorrow.
Thanks,
Asit
If you plan on walking for an hour, my suggestion is.

Use a stop watch.

On day 1.
> Just walk for 25 mins in one direction away from your home.
> Then return back the same way.

Goto http://maps.google.co.in/
Locate your home and figure out how much distance you walked.

You have just found out your normal walking speed.

Day 2.
> You walk the same route, but you must do it faster than before.
Try and work on completing this entire distance in lesser time.

Every day you walk, you must do it better than what you did on Day 1. Work on this.

Will help you catch if you start slacking. Will give you a goal to work on.

Without measuring yourself exercise WILL NOT work.

Someday you will feel like jogging instead of briskly walking. Give into the feeling. Jog till you want to run. Run and run for life.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014, 13:03   #1012
BHPian
 
asit.kulkarni93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pune/ Bahrain
Posts: 515
Thanked: 458 Times
Default The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
If you plan on walking for an hour, my suggestion is.


Thanks bblost. I am going to go according to this. I needed this sort of guidance for my walking. As AD suggested I started off taking lemon and honey with hot water from today morning. Will start walking in the evening. Thanks

Asit

Last edited by bblost : 12th March 2014 at 13:30. Reason: reduced size of quoted text. Thanks and all the best.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014, 13:23   #1013
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 210
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Thanks bblost. I am going to go according to this. I needed this sort of guidance for my walking. As AD suggested I started off taking lemon and honey with hot water from today morning. Will start walking in the evening. Thanks Asit
You can also try micoach, walking/running app from Adidas. It's free and is available for Android, IOS and Windows phones.

There are lots and lots of different programmes. Plus it takes dreariness out of running/walking by changing the schedule and pushing you according to your goal. You can also save your results and view it on the site later on.

You can track distance covered, time taken, calories burned, average speed, max speed etc. I have been using it for more than an year now.

There is no shortcut to lose wight other than cardio and proper balanced diet. At the same time don't overlook weight training. It is very important in order to preserve the muscles.

As far as lemon and honey is concerned even I have my doubts. It is traditional prescription and since you won't add much calories there is no harm in trying it. When I googled to understand how it works, the best explanation that I could fetch was that it detoxifies liver and primes it to work more efficiently, that is aid in digestion.

Last edited by anandjha : 12th March 2014 at 13:29.
anandjha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014, 14:56   #1014
Senior - BHPian
 
faithless_1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,517
Thanked: 183 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Hello all,
So finally i have decided to reduce my weight seriously.......My usual diet consists of 2-3 chapatis and sabji. If i eat one or one and half chapati then i take dal-rice. In the evening its just chapatis or i prefer khichdi. Mornings are uncertain either its just tea with toasted bread or corn flakes or nothing ( which leads to a heavy lunch). Now can someone please give me a certain direction as to how i should loose weight?

Thanks,
Asit
You need to make a plan according to your goals and follow it religiously Asit. There is no short/easy way to lose weight period.
If you eat sabzi then make sure its low in fat or starch/carbs. Like avoid potatoes. Have more protein rich green vegetables.
Dal is great but skip the desi ghee ka tadka instead use olive oil for the tempring.
Dont skip breakfast ,if you eat bread then make sure its either brown or multigrain bread. Branded cornflakes are generally high in sugar so try to avoid them ,have oats instead.


Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Asit only sure way to loose weight is to burn more calories then calories you eat.
Brisk walk is one way but jogging will burn some more and working out in Gym even more.

So stop thinking and join back gym, control your diet cutting extra calories

Be patient and wait for healthy weight loss you should not try loosing too fast by artificial means.
Well said ,join a gym and start working out atleast 5 days a week. I used to jog in my initial days but i had better results after i joined a gym. Cardio+Weight lifting is a great way to lose fat. Remember no pain no gain.

Quote:
PS: Honey is fructose + minirals there is no way drinking it in warm water can cut weight.
Actually for most people Honey in warm water becomes substitute of milk and sugar laden big cup of morning tea so there is some reduction in calories consumed.
But seriously for you I don't think this small reduction can help you loose weight from 98kg.
+1
Skip the honey ,its vitamin c which is good for you not the sugar. Have plain lemon water ,warm or cold upto you.

All the best.
faithless_1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014, 14:58   #1015
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,557
Thanked: 6,313 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
Dal is great but skip the desi ghee ka tadka instead use olive oil for the tempring.
Olive oil has low smoking point. How can you use it for tempering?
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014, 15:11   #1016
Newbie
 
doble u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Delhi
Posts: 20
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Even I faced the same problem a while back with my weight touching 80 and waist size ballooning up-to 34 (height 5/8). This was with the fact that I was going to the gym regularly and trying to build some muscle.

Here's what I did to loose 8 Kgs in 4 months.

1 . The most important part to control the late night hunger pangs and the evening snacks. Fixed my dinner time to 7:30 or 8. Started having soups with wheat bread or roti. Strictly avoided having anything fried (wafers/corn chips/biscuits/sweets etc.) post dinner.

2 . If you have Android phone, please install any pedometer application. I personally use Accpedo and have set a target of 10,000 steps everyday (this excludes the gym running). I ensure that even if I have to get up fill up my water bottle, I take the longest route ensuring the required steps.

3. Drink lots and lots of water

4 . Also started drinking Green Tea. While this has some weight loosing properties, the biggest boon is increased immunity.

5. Started eating muri/popcorn (the local one which are popped in sand and salt) to counter the evening hunger pangs

6. Started taking protein post work out in the morning and little bit in the evening to ensure i stay away from carb before sleeping.

this goes without saying that exercise should be integral part of whatever diet/plan you are intending to follow
doble u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014, 15:31   #1017
Senior - BHPian
 
faithless_1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,517
Thanked: 183 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Olive oil has low smoking point. How can you use it for tempering?
You can actually ,i use it daily even while making indian curries,you learn how to manage. Yes the dishes don't exactly taste the same but i personally focus more on the health aspect rather than taste.
faithless_1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014, 15:44   #1018
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,557
Thanked: 6,313 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
You can actually ,i use it daily even while making indian curries,you learn how to manage. Yes the dishes don't exactly taste the same but i personally focus more on the health aspect rather than taste.
Are you using Olive oil Pomace, Virgin or Extra Virgin?
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014, 15:54   #1019
Senior - BHPian
 
faithless_1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,517
Thanked: 183 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Are you using Olive oil Pomace, Virgin or Extra Virgin?
Both Pomace and Virgin oil. Also i use very little of it ,no deep frying ever.
faithless_1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014, 16:11   #1020
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,557
Thanked: 6,313 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
Both Pomace and Virgin oil. Also i use very little of it ,no deep frying ever.
Thanks.

But I don't think you are actually tempering the dish.
Just add dry roasted powders of the other ingredients.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whats the weight of your wheel-tyre combo?? Shan2nu Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 30 11th October 2012 15:21
Flywheel Weight Reduction / Lightened Flywheels kpzen Technical Stuff 38 2nd February 2008 15:07
UNSPRUNG WEIGHT - and its effects kb100 Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 12 26th March 2007 15:52
For Sale: Enkei 17" Light Weight Performance Rims autopsyche Shifting gears 0 26th July 2006 23:31


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:58.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks