Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2014, 12:12   #1066
BHPian
 
nareshov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 268
Thanked: 165 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

A topic to consider when it comes to calorie burning: http://time.com/sitting/
nareshov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 13:10   #1067
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,614
Thanked: 949 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
A topic to consider when it comes to calorie burning: http://time.com/sitting/
I actually agree with this in a lot of ways.
1. Prolonged very low intensity "exercise" like standing up, or even squatting down burns a huge amount of calories if you sum it up at the end of the day.
2. Standing up is indeed an exercise. Anyone countering this with crap about %RM, intensity, effort, etc just needs to stand for 2-3 hours. Ever wondered why you felt tired in/after the mall? Because you were standing and ambling around for 3-4 hours.
3. Bed ridden patients atrophy their quads/butts pretty fast. Another indication that these were meant to be used daily for considerable duration.

Last edited by alpha1 : 10th September 2014 at 13:12.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 22:45   #1068
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 171
Thanked: 55 Times
Default

I have been trying to loose weight for the last couple of years without being successful. Even after going to the gym for the last 2 years fairly regularly I didn't loose even a kg. last month I did the GM diet and lost 4 kgs in a week. Post that I stopped going to the gym and have started skipping daily. I currently do 20 sets of 100 reps each (total 2000 skips daily) and am seeing the my weight has stabilised and I feel lighter. Is there a negative of skipping so much daily? I give around 15 to 20 seconds of gap between sets. Also when I land I do that on the front of the foot and not the heel. Would appreciate some expert comments.
storme'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 23:15   #1069
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,584
Thanked: 3,248 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I actually agree with this in a lot of ways.
1. Prolonged very low intensity "exercise" like standing up, or even squatting down burns a huge amount of calories if you sum it up at the end of the day.
2. Standing up is indeed an exercise. Anyone countering this with crap about %RM, intensity, effort, etc just needs to stand for 2-3 hours. Ever wondered why you felt tired in/after the mall? Because you were standing and ambling around for 3-4 hours.
3. Bed ridden patients atrophy their quads/butts pretty fast. Another indication that these were meant to be used daily for considerable duration.
Regarding 1/2 - how do you account for overweight air-hostesses?
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2014, 10:15   #1070
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,614
Thanked: 949 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Regarding 1/2 - how do you account for overweight air-hostesses?
Why do I have to account for those?
How many over weight flight stewards do we actually see? (Lets even include the ground staff).

One off cases can always be explained by continuous intake of tea/coffee/snacks and/or messed up thyroid levels (females have more instances of this compared to males).

By a similar measure and perhaps a better counter attack to my post would have been: how do you account for those overweight traffic policemen?
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2014, 14:27   #1071
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,584
Thanked: 3,248 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Why do I have to account for those?
How many over weight flight stewards do we actually see? (Lets even include the ground staff).

One off cases can always be explained by continuous intake of tea/coffee/snacks and/or messed up thyroid levels (females have more instances of this compared to males).

By a similar measure and perhaps a better counter attack to my post would have been: how do you account for those overweight traffic policemen?
actually i had just landed from a flight and seen a few clearly overweight air hostesses from a national carrier, ergo the point.

actually i stay in chennai now - overweight traffic policemen are much lesser than places like delhi
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 10:21   #1072
BHPian
 
johy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Siliguri
Posts: 837
Thanked: 370 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Guys,

Looking for a good mat which can be assembled/disassembled easily for skipping/jump rope.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
johy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2014, 07:21   #1073
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,584
Thanked: 3,248 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Guys,

Apologies for the bulk quote but that's the best way to catch attention

Any suggestion on body fat monitors? Are they worth it? Which ones?
I see a lot on http://www.flipkart.com/beauty-and-p...fat-analyzers/

Thanks in advance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
By a similar measure and perhaps a better counter attack to my post would have been: how do you account for those overweight traffic policemen?
Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
I do that on the front of the foot and not the heel. Would appreciate some expert comments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
A topic to consider when it comes to calorie burning: http://time.com/sitting/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent Martin View Post
From what i heard, Good gyms like Gold's and Talwalkar's will have physiotherapists

Lean is in!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Maintaining a consistent weight for years is all about eating the right things, in the right quantities consistent with activity levels, and in the right manner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

Incidentally a respected dietician I consulted (who has a PhD in Nutrition) told me that weight management is 70% diet and 30% exercise. Basically you can lose weight solely by diet control but if you want more energy, shape and form, you need to combine it with aerobic and anaerobic exercise. Not to mention you feel absolutely great after exercise, compared to a "run-down" feeling attributable to pure dieting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
This is a very valid point, and something that drives us towards a healthier diet: When you bust your guts out burning an estimated 100-200 calories on an activity/machine of your choice, you'll think twice before ordering whipped cream with your coffee; knowing that topping just reintroduces twice the amount you burnt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Jokes apart, what you say is very true. The other point to add is some how make your workout a happy affair and also a repeatable one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
I did that mistake so I know. This time in fact I have just stuck to walking / jogging till now. Now that I have lost some good weight, I am thinking of joining a gym for toning up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post


Have you tried Stevia? If you ever need something to ruin the taste, then that is it!

Last edited by phamilyman : 24th September 2014 at 07:22.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2014, 07:47   #1074
Senior - BHPian
 
arunphilip's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,724
Thanked: 4,661 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Any suggestion on body fat monitors? Are they worth it?
Don't these all work on estimation? I personally wouldn't fuss too much about them.

I believe the electronic ones measure your weight, and are parameterized with your height - so essentially they calculate your BMI internally. You can do the same with a calculator.

The pinch test ones measure subcutaneous fat - they are subject to exact placement and force of pinching. Moreover, subcutaneous fat isn't our true health concern, visceral fat is.
arunphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2014, 11:22   #1075
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,614
Thanked: 949 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Guys,

Apologies for the bulk quote but that's the best way to catch attention

Any suggestion on body fat monitors? Are they worth it? Which ones?
I see a lot on http://www.flipkart.com/beauty-and-p...fat-analyzers/

Thanks in advance!
I can't fathom why would you want to buy a bodyfat monitor when the best possible monitor which is also very convenient is the measure of waist.

No one can claim that he is large boned and into hardcore weightlifting and takes regular dose of massive steroids because in spite of all this, you will still have a waist which is about 45% of your height if you are quite shredded.

The more the fat you have, the farther your waist figure will be from the 45% ideal.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 22:56   #1076
BHPian
 
Accent Martin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 102
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Guys,

Apologies for the bulk quote but that's the best way to catch attention

Any suggestion on body fat monitors? Are they worth it? Which ones?
I see a lot on http://www.flipkart.com/beauty-and-p...fat-analyzers/

Thanks in advance!
Hi phamilyman,

there is a dedicated website for all medical solutions. Its healthkart.com

Please visit the link - http://www.healthkart.com/diabetes/m...&sortType=ASC&


Also, sorry for the delayed response. somehow I missed to see your quote.
Accent Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2014, 11:53   #1077
Senior - BHPian
 
DieselFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,569
Thanked: 230 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I can't fathom why would you want to buy a bodyfat monitor when the best possible monitor which is also very convenient is the measure of waist.

No one can claim that he is large boned and into hardcore weightlifting and takes regular dose of massive steroids because in spite of all this, you will still have a waist which is about 45% of your height if you are quite shredded.

The more the fat you have, the farther your waist figure will be from the 45% ideal.
I totally agree with Alpha1. Body fat can easily be measured by the waist size. I was 36.5 inches in waist with body fat at 28% now my waist has come down to 33 inches and body fat is at 24% (I suspect the BMI machine as I believe fat is down further not just 4%). my overall weight has reduced from 85 Kgs to 74 kgs with substantial muscle gain. Your waist, your buttocks and your arms and legs are good and easiest measure of fat reduction and muscle addition.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2014, 12:45   #1078
Senior - BHPian
 
mallumowgli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Palakkad/Coimbatore
Posts: 1,087
Thanked: 684 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Your waist, your buttocks and your arms and legs are good and easiest measure of fat reduction and muscle addition.
What are the reference figures?
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2014, 13:14   #1079
Senior - BHPian
 
DieselFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,569
Thanked: 230 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
What are the reference figures?
The most amazing part is you do not need the reference figures. You can feel it. fat actually disappears from these areas. If you do need reference figures one figure quoted above is a reference figure in most cases - waist to height ratio is 45%.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2014, 15:45   #1080
BHPian
 
Piyadassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: NCR Delhi
Posts: 52
Thanked: 63 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Mine waist to height ratio is exact 45.4545%. Online calculator puts fat percentage at 12.83. Waist (the widest part of the stomach slightly below the navel is 30). Want to take 1-2 inches further off. Just to see how a sub 10% BF looks like. Let's hope I sustain the effort.
Piyadassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whats the weight of your wheel-tyre combo?? Shan2nu Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 30 11th October 2012 15:21
Flywheel Weight Reduction / Lightened Flywheels kpzen Technical Stuff 38 2nd February 2008 15:07
UNSPRUNG WEIGHT - and its effects kb100 Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 12 26th March 2007 15:52
For Sale: Enkei 17" Light Weight Performance Rims autopsyche Shifting gears 0 26th July 2006 23:31


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:42.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks