Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 17th October 2014, 15:32   #1096
BHPian

Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Folks at 180cm in height, I am now becoming over-weight.
=============
Thanks in advance..
And don't forget THE most important element - DIET.
Piyadassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2014, 15:36   #1097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Swimming is excellent exercise and 40 mins - 1 hour is sufficient. But depends on how productive that 1 hour is.
Thanks ! My plan is not to become a fitness freak, but tone down my weight and cholesterol levels. Perhaps I should have a kind of daily plan on the exercises, and kind of do swimming or walking the tread mill on a rotational manner.
sachinpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2014, 20:31   #1098
BHPian

sharing a line that I liked -

"The slower we move the faster we die"
- from the movie - Up in the Air
Accent Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2014, 11:41   #1099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
And don't forget THE most important element - DIET.
And what would be the recommended diet? I generally have Idly etc. for breakfast, pasta+raw vegetables+boiled ground nuts etc. for lunch. Only the evening dinner is the typical South Indian (veg) fare. Reduced consumption of red meats (any meat for that matter).
Old 18th October 2014, 12:31   #1100
BHPian

Diet - Anywhere between 1600-2000 cal. But it's easier said than done. From what I can make out from your diet, I don't know the quantity, but you are already eating less. And if you are above 40 it is a tricky situation. I have seen people gaining weight even when they are eating clean. Your protein intake as well as that of healthy fat seems to be low.

Perhaps you need to increase your food intake especially that of protein (eggs, chicken, fish, milk and milk products, nuts especially walnut and wheat based products) but this is too early to say.

What I would also suggest since running/walking is something that your body gets used to after sometime and therefore stops making any difference. To counter it go for a free exercising app from Adidas. Download it in your phone and it will never let you settle down in your comfort zone.

And, I know this is something easier said than done, start weight training. Do it for a month or two, measure your progress and depending on which I can suggest a proper diet chart
Old 20th October 2014, 10:18   #1101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
And, I know this is something easier said than done, start weight training. Do it for a month or two, measure your progress and depending on which I can suggest a proper diet chart
What do you mean by weight training? You mean working on those machines which has weights attached to it? Thanks for helping me with information on diet. Yes, quantity could be a problem - as I generally eat till my stomach is full . And don't know whether all the red meat I ate earlier in life is now showing its side effects. There were times (4-6 years back) when at least two meals a day had meat items in it.
Old 20th October 2014, 12:29   #1102
BHPian

Quote:
What do you mean by weight training? You mean working on those machines which has weights attached to it? Thanks for helping me with information on diet. Yes, quantity could be a problem - as I generally eat till my stomach is full . And don't know whether all the red meat I ate earlier in life is now showing its side effects. There were times (4-6 years back) when at least two meals a day had meat items in it.
What what you ate will show its results now. Unfortunately! But 4-6 years is very long time ago.

I did not mean the machine. But free weights. At the most basic level you can buy a rod, 2 weights each of 2.5, 5, 7.5 and 10 kg (should cost you not more than 2-3 months of gym membership) and can get started with a protocol called "Exercise Complex.' You can read about it on the Internet.

Since you think you eat a lot you can start with the process of eating little less every alternate days followed by your normal diet the other day. May be in a month or two you will be able to reduce your overall quantity.

You can also try fasting or just fruit/vegetable diet one day per week but the day should be preceded and succeeded by moderately high calorie diet.

The idea is to get oneself going without without making too much of a compromise with one's comfort zone. Once you start seeing results it will propel you towards further steps and you'll also be able to arrive at a benchmark diet plan.

Hope it helps. Best wishes.
Old 20th October 2014, 12:35   #1103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks at 180cm in height, I am now becoming over-weight. What would be a good way to reduce the weight? My current exercise is only a brisk walk (I sweat) for around 40mins. Guess that is not enough.

1. Will swimming be a good exercise? I prefer this as slightly better than cycling or walking the tread mill etc.
2. What would be ideal work out time required per day? Need to plan my day.

Thanks in advance..
1. How do you reckon that you are overweight?
2. How would you know your target desirable weight?
3. Walking instead taking the bike/car to the neighborhood market is also a good exercise. But not if you want to improve the cardio-vascular conditioning. So the goal determines the exercise.
4. Ideal workout duration = as much as your body can adapt to and recover from. If we are talking about walking - it can be easily as much as 2 hours. If we are talking about running - perhaps 10-30 minutes.

Quote:
Thanks ! My plan is not to become a fitness freak, but tone down my weight and cholesterol levels. Perhaps I should have a kind of daily plan on the exercises, and kind of do swimming or walking the tread mill on a rotational manner.
If you are concerned only about bringing the weight down then food and beverage intake is the only thing you can really control.
Remove all sugar stuff (like tea, coffee, juices).
Reduce your food intake by 10% for one month then 20% then 50% etc till you reach your desired number.
Eliminate in-between snacking.

Cholestrol level is very closely associated with body fat levels and age.
Reduction in body fat will bring cholestrol down.
If you want to 'waste' money then you may also start eating stuff rich in Omega 3 fatty acids.

But remember cholestrol is not the problem. Heart issues crop up because of elevated blood sugar levels, not cholestrol.
We've been talking about this here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...d-bad-you.html (The great Cholesterol debate: Is it good or bad for you?)

Quote:
Weight training = working out with dumbells, barbells, kettleballs, machines and contraption that raise and lower weights.
This is not necessary if all you wish to do is reduce your body fat.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 13:21   #1104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priyadassi
The idea is to get oneself going without without making too much of a compromise with one's comfort zone. Once you start seeing results it will propel you towards further steps and you'll also be able to arrive at a benchmark diet plan.
This would be my lesson for day. I need to start seeing results in the next three months at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1
1. How do you reckon that you are overweight?
After a recent medical checkup. Even though I felt I had changed my food habits considerably I gained weight! Cholestrol levels have come down, but there is more fine tuning required.

Quote:
If you are concerned only about bringing the weight down then food and beverage intake is the only thing you can really control.
Remove all sugar stuff (like tea, coffee, juices).
Yes, reducing weight is my primary concern. Generally I don't take more than two cups of tea every day (and one glass of green tea, first thing in the morning).
Old 29th October 2014, 20:05   #1105
BHPian

How effective is the treadmill on keeping ourselves fit. Learnt from a friend that running walking on treadmill causes problem in legs at a later stage.
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2014, 20:10   #1106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
How effective is the treadmill on keeping ourselves fit. Learnt from a friend that running walking on treadmill causes problem in legs at a later stage.
How is it different from walking or running on ground?
Wind resistance?
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2014, 20:20   #1107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Wind resistance?
Even i was wondering!!! Had to ask here because one of the gym trainer has informed this to my friend.
Now i am sure i wont heed to these type of comments. Now when comes to treadmill, which is better? Manual or motorised. Any particular brand to consider? Hope this is the right thread.
Old 29th October 2014, 21:11   #1108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Wind resistance?
If the treadmill has spring suspension, then i don't think it would cause injury in the long run.

coming to the difference between running on treadmill v/s ground, my reasoning is that - On a treadmill, one is just jumping at the same place (because the belt is running) and NOT pushing the ground to move forward.
If you run on the ground, your legs are actually pushing the ground to keep the next step and then the other and the running continues.

Try it out. I surely felt the difference.. And, yeah! you are right on the wind factor.

Last edited by Accent Martin : 29th October 2014 at 21:17.
Accent Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2014, 21:20   #1109
Team-BHP Support

If you do buy a tread mill and use it for exercise instead of a clothes hanger, remember: NO HANDS.

Most people make the mistake of holding the bars in the front. You should not do that.

Also to sort of compensate for the wind, you can use the incline feature.

The correct pace for walking is to be at a pace where you can still talk but not very comfortably.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014, 08:13   #1110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent Martin View Post
If the treadmill has spring suspension, then i don't think it would cause injury in the long run.

Try it out. I surely felt the difference.. And, yeah! you are right on the wind factor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
If you do buy a tread mill and use it for exercise instead of a clothes hanger, remember: NO HANDS.
Thanks for the tip on how to use the treadmill. But my query is still unanswered. 1. Manual or automatic treadmill?
2. Points to consider when buying a treadmill
3. Which brand. Aeroflot, Maxfit ?