Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 20th March 2015, 22:17   #1231
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I have never understood this point that everyone makes.
How can empty stomach cause acidity?
Stomach acids are secreted upon stimulation (= anticipation and/or filling of stomach).
Since the stomach is empty in our case, the filling stimulation doesn't take place. So anticipation of food remains. But if that was to cause acidity - we all would be walking around with acids in our mouth 24 hr a day because of all the sights and smells emanated by the junk food that we are always surrounded by.
It is partially about timing as well. Rather, it has become after my gall bladder operation.

Often during my overnight / early morning drives, there are times when I have been awake since 12-1am and I am still driving 10-11 hours later. In this period, I may have taken a few gulps of water but nothing else.

If I don't eat something (and bit of protein, not just plain carb like idlis) by this time, then acidity happens like clockwork.

Never used to happen earlier, but has become pronounced since then.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2015, 15:00   #1232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Often during my overnight / early morning drives, there are times when I have been awake since 12-1am and I am still driving 10-11 hours later. In this period, I may have taken a few gulps of water but nothing else.
Lack of sleep may also lead to acidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I din't think before a year that I would ever need to visit this thread, but well. Duh !

I am 5.7 inches tall and weigh 68 kgs, but I have started to get a paunch and have put on mass on my face. Both of them are looking ugly. I want to get rid of both. Suggestions please.
You can't choose which fat to reduce and from where. But on a positive note, since you weigh normal, which makes your diet look good, I think the problem could be more to do with sluggish metabolic rate, which gets lower as one grows older. Start exercising, make critical appraisal of your diet you will get the look you want.

Last edited by Piyadassi : 21st March 2015 at 15:12.
Piyadassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2015, 21:41   #1233
BHPian

Total newbie here.. so please be patient if i miss something obvious.

I am trying for a toned look. Weight loss during this process is a welcome side-effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I dont think you can target any particular part of your body for losing fat. Your body decides where it needs to lose weight from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
You can't choose which fat to reduce and from where
Then why abdominal exercises are suggested by the trainer for losing fat in the stomach area? Wont they work?

Please say yes.. i hate doing them
Pallavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2015, 23:13   #1234
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post
Then why abdominal exercises are suggested by the trainer for losing fat in the stomach area? Wont they work?

Maybe the trainer is just trying to motivate you . If your target is weight loss then you need to burn more calories. Whether you do it by doing situps or running, that is up to you.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2015, 23:20   #1235
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Maybe the trainer is just trying to motivate you . If your target is weight loss then you need to burn more calories. Whether you do it by doing situps or running, that is up to you.
Apart from burning, its also a through put problem. Surely need to control the source as well! Deciding on a diet that works for one is in itself a battle half one. On the rest I think gymming is more for weight re-distribution and toning. Even a basic brisk walk for about 6-7km / hour can help maintain the metabolism. But again its all about what works for self.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
To lose fat: calorie deficit. Burn more calories than you're consuming. The beauty of this is you can achieve this by simply eating less. Look up iifym to calculate your numbers.
This is exactly the point which even I was trying to point out.

Quote:
I disagree with whatever is being said regarding eating at night, avoiding carbs etc . Eat whenever you want, whatever you want. If it fits your macros.
I eat rice everyday around 9pm to 10pm. Not to brag, but I've lost 30 pounds over the last 3 months (down from 200 to 170 pounds). My goal is to hit 150 this year. (it will slow down so).
I think its a question of what works. More importantly its all about what one can maintain rather than what one can do. Its ideally a paradigm shift in lifestyle. I dont think one can turn on a switch, get down to a lower weight and get back to what one was before. (Thats more for a movie star I guess! )

Fundamentally its all about what one can sustain and still hold on that weight and body profile.

Last edited by ampere : 21st March 2015 at 23:40.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2015, 23:28   #1236
BHPian

Amitoj - glad to see we agree on something

Yup it's totally a myth that abdominal crunches burn abdominal fat. The body doesn't work like that. Its like a sponge and the fat is like water. You don't know which part will lose how much, it won't be linear or predictable, and it won't happen in a targeted area.

Generally males store fat in the midsection first and lose it there last. Females store it in thighs and lose it there last. But that's a generalization. Genetics plays a role here.

To lose fat: calorie deficit. Burn more calories than you're consuming. The beauty of this is you can achieve this by simply eating less. Look up iifym to calculate your numbers.

To retain protein while you're losing fat on a calorie deficit (so that you don't turn into an ugly mushy shape): workout with weights and get enough protein. Again iifym helps.

I disagree with whatever is being said regarding eating at night, avoiding carbs etc . Eat whenever you want, whatever you want. If it fits your macros.

I eat rice everyday around 9pm to 10pm. Not to brag, but I've lost 30 pounds over the last 3 months (down from 200 to 170 pounds). My goal is to hit 150 this year. (it will slow down so).
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2015, 21:35   #1237
BHPian

Quote:
Focus on weight loss for the past 2 yrs resulted in good BMI.

Now the primary target is achieving a good fitness level and toned look. Weight loss doesnt necessarily guarantee these :(
Old 22nd March 2015, 22:18   #1238
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Exactly what abdominal exercises are we talking about?

There are exercises that work on the abs, I have used it extensively to strengthen my abs, the fat loss was an added benefit.

The routine I used was Magnificent Seven made famous by Matt Furey. He eventually became a snake oil salesman, undoing the good name he earned in the earlier years. But this routine works for me even at 46, look at this photo from a recent TBHP meet if you have any doubts.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 15:30   #1239
BHPian

Quote:
Total newbie here.. so please be patient if i miss something obvious.

I am trying for a toned look. Weight loss during this process is a welcome side-effect

Love your body and you will stop hating exercises.

The answer is both yes and no. Yes, you can avoid them if you want to lose fat. But, since you are aspiring for a toned look you should do them - toned abs enhances the overall look of the body. A word of caution though - ab muscles are amongst the slowest muscles to respond, that is, if at all they are pleased with your effort and decide to bestow themselves to you.

One suggestion - try to incorporate HIIT, that is High Intensity Interval Training two to three times a week. It is a proven protocol to burn fat. You can read more about it on net. Apart from general info search specifically for Tabata Protocol. Though I haven't tried this protocol in particular but I can vouch for the running HIIT programme.

Last edited by Piyadassi : 23rd March 2015 at 15:32.
Piyadassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 16:09   #1240
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Amitoj - glad to see we agree on something
Hahaha. Who woulda thunk, eh!

Quote:
Focus on weight loss for the past 2 yrs resulted in good BMI.

Now the primary target is achieving a good fitness level and toned look. Weight loss doesnt necessarily guarantee these :(
Oye. I thought you said you were a total newbie.
In the past two years, how much weight have you lost?
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2015, 11:47   #1241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Exactly what abdominal exercises are we talking about?

There are exercises that work on the abs, I have used it extensively to strengthen my abs, the fat loss was an added benefit.
Right now.. crunches.

Thanks for the tips Sir. I will check with my trainer and see how i can add them to my routine.

Quote:
Love your body and you will stop hating exercises.
Thats been the mantra so far

Quote:
A word of caution though - ab muscles are amongst the slowest muscles to respond, that is, if at all they are pleased with your effort and decide to bestow themselves to you.
Amen

Quote:
One suggestion - try to incorporate HIIT, that is High Intensity Interval Training two to three times a week. It is a proven protocol to burn fat. You can read more about it on net. Apart from general info search specifically for Tabata Protocol. Though I haven't tried this protocol in particular but I can vouch for the running HIIT programme.
This might come in the later days once the abs are sufficiently strengthened. Right now, they are nowhere near to the required fitness level.

Quote:
Oye. I thought you said you were a total newbie.
In the past two years, how much weight have you lost?
Newbie to the workout and toning.

Even the past 2 yrs, there was no emphasis on weight loss. Rather healthy living. Dont believe in crash diets as they tend to make me cranky and weak.

Everyday walking.. if i miss it in the mornings, walk in the evening. Changed rice to red or brown. Lots of veggies in the diet.

You cant ask a woman her age or how much weight she has lost

Lets just say that i can now pick M sized dresses off the shelf.
Old 24th March 2015, 12:13   #1242
Senior - BHPian

Glad to share with you all -

Finally, reached my weight loss target. Down from 83 to 67 kgs and it seems to be maintaining pretty well.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask. But, be aware, there are no shortcuts.

I have reduced weight earlier as well only to gain it back.
So, this time, I decided to take it slow, and focus on the process and habits rather than the result.

They key things I followed -

Sensible eating - no crash diets. Only eating in regular intervals, avoid heavy meals before going to bed at night, good healthy breakfast. Cutting down a bit on deep fired items etc but indulging once in a while is absolutely fine

Cardio - I started running. Running can be substituted with cross trainer or cycling as well. I typically ran 3-4 days per week. Started slowly, and gradually upped the intenstity as my body became more comfortable with the activity. Also, it is good to vary your training..sometimes slow,long run sometimes intervals etc. But, first get in the habit of running or cardio activity. I would recommend 40-45 mins of cardio 3-4 days/week.

Strength training - i did not do much weight training. But mainly, body weight exercises like push ups, pullups, planks, lunges and squats. I am not a fan of abdominal crunches but you can include them if you like. Strength training is important to tone your body and also increase metabolism. I am focussing more on strength training currently. 2 days a week of strength training should be fine.

The key to maintain your weight is to increase your metabolism and follow a healthy lifestyle. I reached my weight goal about 6 months back. After that, I have been eating out sometimes and not trying to really follow any diet as such. I wanted to see how my body responds. So far, it is responding well and I am not gaining any weight. Seems like my metabolism has finally got the boost.

Best of luck, everyone.

Last edited by adimicra : 24th March 2015 at 12:15.
adimicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2015, 12:25   #1243
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Right now.. crunches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I am not a fan of abdominal crunches but you can include them if you like.
Ab crunches are known to be bad for the back, so I have never done them.

http://www.simplebackpain.com/the-wo...#axzz3VHeCIpZD
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2015, 12:45   #1244
BHPian

Smile Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Ok...I've been pondering about posting here, but have refrained for quite some time.

But I'm afraid I need some help & guidance in losing weight, pronto!

First things first, I'm not overweight, or even remotely "FAT".
It's just that I've got a beer belly, and my upper body looks...um...not slim.

Anyways, for folks interested in statistics, here it is:
Height: 180 cms/5 Feet 11 Inches.
Waist: 32 Inches.
Weight: 77 KG'S/169 pounds.
BMI: 23.7
Lifestyle: Very Sedentary. Normal office hours 8AM-6PM, 5 days a week, mon-fri. Commute is by own vehicle.
Food Habits: Very poor. Skipping breakfast is normal. Lunch at office comprises of chicken and stuff. Dinner tends to be heavy most of the days.
Alcohol: Nope. None.
Smoking: Nope. None.
Exercise: Nope. None. But have an elliptical cross trainer at home.

4 years ago, I weighed 68 KG's. I know I can't go back to 68 KG's in a month or two.

However, I would like to drop to 72 KG's in a few months.

So, the question is like this. Can I drop 5 kilos in, say, 2 months? And, by dropping, I mean dropping permanently. So I'm not looking at crash dieting.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

I'd be happy to take on any suggestions mentioned here. I'm not very motivated when it comes to dieting & exercising, so might need assistance from you all

Last edited by sourav9385 : 24th March 2015 at 12:49.
sourav9385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2015, 12:58   #1245
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
I'd be happy to take on any suggestions mentioned here. I'm not very motivated when it comes to dieting & exercising, so might need assistance from you all
For starters add one hour of walk for about 6-7 km every day before dinner. That would push up the metabolism. And it goes without saying food habits you need to decide.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote