Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 24th March 2015, 19:12   #1246
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post
Newbie to the workout and toning.

Even the past 2 yrs, there was no emphasis on weight loss. Rather healthy living. Dont believe in crash diets as they tend to make me cranky and weak.

Everyday walking.. if i miss it in the mornings, walk in the evening. Changed rice to red or brown. Lots of veggies in the diet.

You cant ask a woman her age or how much weight she has lost

Lets just say that i can now pick M sized dresses off the shelf.
LOL. Pardon my manners. I usually assume a gender neutral stance when interacting on the net.

I see people in my gym with toned bodies doing a lot of high intensity routines. Light weights with high number of repetitions. Every ten days or so, I do a full circuit routine like this:
1) Bench press or pushups - max in 1:00
2) Squats - max in 1:00
3) Pullups or pulldowns - 1:00
4) Bike or jog - 3:00
5) Military press* - 1:00
6) Lunges - 1:00 each leg
7) Bicep curls - 1:00
8) Bike or jog - 3:00
9) Tricep extensions.- 1:00
10) Leg ext - 1:00 (requires leg machines - or repeat squats with weights)
11) Leg curls - 1:00 (requires leg machines - or repeat lunges with weights)
12) Situps - 2:00
13) Crunches - 2:00
14) Stretch

I dont really know whether it helps in anything or not, but at the end of this workout, I am left exhausted and feeling great at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Finally, reached my weight loss target. Down from 83 to 67 kgs and it seems to be maintaining pretty well.

Cardio - I started running. Running can be substituted with cross trainer or cycling as well.
That is great achievement!

I have recently started jogging. Since childhood, i have suffered from unstable kneecaps. But now, with focused attention to leg exercises, I have managed to bring some stability. Till now, my cardio was restricted to ellipticals and stationary bikes. But nothing compares to running!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Ab crunches are known to be bad for the back, so I have never done them.
That is true. But if you strengthen your lower back as well, and focus on maintaining proper posture, you can avoid injuring your lower back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
I'd be happy to take on any suggestions mentioned here. I'm not very motivated when it comes to dieting & exercising, so might need assistance from you all
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
For starters add one hour of walk for about 6-7 km every day before dinner. That would push up the metabolism. And it goes without saying food habits you need to decide.
What he said.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 09:42   #1247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
For starters add one hour of walk for about 6-7 km every day before dinner...And it goes without saying food habits you need to decide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
What he said.
Riiight...

Name:  loseweight.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  248.9 KB

Why don't I believe you? And what all do I need to change in by food habits?

Start taking a heavy breakfast? What all am I allowed to eat?

Eat a little for lunch, stay on soups for dinner?

Cut out all fried & junk foods like coke, crisps and fries?

Please help. I've no idea on how to control my diet. I eat what I want, when I want
sourav9385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 10:58   #1248
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Please help. I've no idea on how to control my diet. I eat what I want, when I want
The concept of heavy breakfast, light lunch and lighter dinner is actually debatable. (To me its primarily a through put problem.) I would say start with reducing 10-15% on food intake itself especially carbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Try tracking your intake for a couple of days. Don't bother with measuring your progress with a weighing scale or a measuring tape. Just keep the intake between 1500-1700 calories.
+1. The other thing I noticed is that introducing an intermittent fasting period during the day also helps quite a bit.

Last edited by ampere : 26th March 2015 at 11:07.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 10:58   #1249
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

On a spur of the moment I installed https://www.myfitnesspal.com/
Tracked my meals for a day to try and keep it at 1500 calories.
40 days later, I no longer track my meals.

But I don't eat anything unless I am actually hungry and outside of the normal meals.
If I have a lunch out, my dinner will be extremely light. The other day at one of my favourite buffet restaurants, I ate less than 50% of what I would normally eat. It was more than enough for me.

Try tracking your intake for a couple of days. Don't bother with measuring your progress with a weighing scale or a measuring tape. Just keep the intake between 1500-1700 calories.

Eat lots of vegetables. In fact as long as the vegetables are not cooked in more than a tbsp of oil, eat as much as you want. Add as much pepper or green chilly for taste. Go easy on packaged seasoning powder or dressings.

All the best.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 11:05   #1250
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Riiight...

Why don't I believe you? And what all do I need to change in by food habits?
In any weight loss programme, diet: exercise contribution is 70:30.

Theoretically, exercising regularly with no increase in food intake should also lead to weight loss. In any case it is definitely preferable to NOT exercising.

But the simple fact is the ONLy way to lose weight (however you cloak or mask it) is eat less and exercise more.

Like Ampere says, doesn't matter if you follow the heavy breakfast/light dinner paradigm, what matters is how many calories enter your system. But like many people I prefer to have a good breakfast and light dinner while on a regimen. 5-6 equally sized, spaced out meals also works.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 12:45   #1251
BHPian

Quote:

But I don't eat anything unless I am actually hungry and outside of the normal meals.
If I have a lunch out, my dinner will be extremely light. The other day at one of my favourite buffet restaurants, I ate less than 50% of what I would normally eat. It was more than enough for me.

Eat lots of vegetables. In fact as long as the vegetables are not cooked in more than a tbsp of oil, eat as much as you want. Add as much pepper or green chilly for taste. Go easy on packaged seasoning powder or dressings.

All the best.
Thats a start in the correct direction. . +1000 to tracking intake with myfitnesspal. This is the most important thing.

But needs a bit more of method. Can't fix an arbitrary number like 1500-1700 calories. Calculate your specific numbers here: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
It will give you your TDEE (calories you use per day), and suggest calorie intake for you based on your TDEE and goals. The calorie deficit makes fat loss happen. Everyone's numbers will vary depending on various factors, and as you lose weight don't forget to re-calculate as you go, and re-enter your updated numbers in myfitnesspal.

The calories are just one part of it. You need to retain muscle when losing fat. For that, workout with weights three times a week and get enough protein. Instead of random workout, follow a good program like Stronglifts 5X5 or Ice Cream Workout or Allpro workout. I follow Stronglifts: http://stronglifts.com

Eat anything you want, anytime you want but keep your calories and macros (protein, fat, carbs) under control. Myfitnesspal will show the numbers for these for everything you eat.

Walking, cardio all those things are optional. They will burn calories and it is the same thing as eating a bit less.

More details here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=129247741

Last edited by rajushank84 : 26th March 2015 at 12:47.
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 13:01   #1252
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How much weight have you lost in 40 days? That may inspire some people here.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 13:46   #1253
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How much weight have you lost in 40 days? That may inspire some people here.
I have promised myself to not weigh myself.

But I can give some pointers.
Some 3 years back I decided to buy clothes especially pants that fit me a little tight. This has kept my waist size is check. I moved down to 34" jeans and if I am off the wagon for more than a week, my trousers would not fit.

In February I fractured a metacarpal bone in my right hand. This caused a huge problem. I needed assistance in wearing my jeans.

40 days later those same jeans fit me with a little room to spare.

I can button them with just one hand. I know it sounds like a very childish way to measure but it feels awesome.

In 2012, my cycling levels were quite high. Around 400 kms a month. My belt is back to the same position without any exercise.

Once the doctor gives me the go ahead, my diet and my cycling will help me get down to 32" jeans and maybe even 30".

My target is 30" jeans.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 08:30   #1254
BHPian

Quote:
Ab crunches are known to be bad for the back, so I have never done them.

http://www.simplebackpain.com/the-wo...#axzz3VHeCIpZD

But what if you do the crunches with the help of an exercise ball? Will it still be bad for the back?

I don't know. I am a noob in this !!
rki2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 12:17   #1255
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
But what if you do the crunches with the help of an exercise ball? Will it still be bad for the back?
Why do it at all? Lower back pain is no joke, just don't risk it.
Old 7th April 2015, 12:20   #1256
BHPian

Quote:
Why do it at all? Lower back pain is no joke, just don't risk it.
Do squats instead. Squats FTW!
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 13:01   #1257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post

I don't know. I am a noob in this !!
I would differ with Samurai a little bit.
You know even climbing stairs is bad for knees ....................... if you already have messed up knees.

The same goes with crunches and situps. People who have weak back will screw it up no matter what they do - perhaps even tying their shoe laces may cause it.

But I have a better question: why abs? Because you got impressed seeing those AbKing / AbPro / thingummy contraption advertising models?

Last edited by alpha1 : 7th April 2015 at 13:03.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 13:28   #1258
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I would differ with Samurai a little bit.
You know even climbing stairs is bad for knees ....................... if you already have messed up knees.
Well, climbing stairs is not exactly a choice, one may need to do it time to time when lift doesn't work. Ab crunches are a choice, one can totally avoid.
Old 7th April 2015, 14:19   #1259
Senior - BHPian

Studies show that with crunches you risk lower back pain much later not immediately. Hence they suggest to avoid it.

You can still do bicycle crunches, leg raises etc.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 15:25   #1260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, climbing stairs is not exactly a choice, one may need to do it time to time when lift doesn't work. Ab crunches are a choice, one can totally avoid.
I was talking from the exercise point of view.
Climbing stairs is a superb exercise for legs as well as cardio - well lunges and squats are also bad for knees if you have knee problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Studies show that with crunches you risk lower back pain much later not immediately. Hence they suggest to avoid it.

You can still do bicycle crunches, leg raises etc.
So how do the studies exonerate the leg raises???
Leg raise should cause exact same problems as situps.

Actually crunches should be safer compared to leg raise and situps since in an ideal crunches one only lift his rib cage slightly to reduce the distance between the sternum and pelvis.

Situps encourage movement far beyond the contraction of rectus abdominus, which means that the first 2-4 inches of the movement reduces the distance between pelvis and sternum, but the rest of the motion keeps this distant constant - which means abdominals are only used isometrically. Which also means that some other muscles are actually producing the movement (hip flexors). In the case of leg raises the same occurs in reverse fashion. (Which means the last few inches of movements actually contract the abs)

Just so that everyone is one the same page with the terminology:
1. Crunch = contracting your abs dynamically to move the chest towards the hips.
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/.../BWCrunch.html
2. Situps = contracting your abs statically and hip flexors (dynamically) and leg muscles (statically) to move the chest towards the knees
http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Rect...s/BWSitUp.html
3. Leg raise = contracting your hip flexors dynamically, leg muscles and abs (statically) to raise the knees towards the chest.
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...tLegRaise.html
4. Reverse crunch / hip raise = contracting your abs dynamically to raise the hips towards the chest
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...gHipRaise.html

But in my view all these may not be effective.
The main purpose of abs is to provide trunk stability not mobility.
Therefore the best exercises for abs will be bridges, planks, overhead press, squats, deadlifts etc
Anything that causes your upper body and lower body to tremble out of alignment - the abs will work to make your body rigid like a solid cylinder.

Last edited by alpha1 : 7th April 2015 at 15:38.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote