Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 14th November 2009, 19:56   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

btw, fyi budget = <1k/night!
a. bookable via aggregators like cleartrip
b. website functional and someone intelligent replying.
c. website with decent functionality
d. Un-noisy rooms would be a good touch at 1500
c. Simple snack system - room service is painful and overrated! - available at the front desk
d. A safe available at a fee.
e. Simple rooms - don't expect AC but a cooler would be good.
f. Natural ventilation/lighting is a must - dampness is unacceptable!
g. Included simple towels and medimix soap
h. a disinfected toilet bowl would be a good touch at 1500
i. wifi is a must for a price over 1000
j. 24x7 hot water
k. Lots of plug points. 110v/univ converter available for a deposit/fee
l. Safe left luggage facility. most ~1000 range hotels forget to give space for this.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2009, 20:04   #17
BHPian

Have been thinking of wi-fi but wonder how effective the signal strength would be. Also how would one bill usage ?
pranava999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2009, 21:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
We seriously want to offer the best in class in terms of service and facilities with an intention that the guest leaves satisfied and returns.

We would sincerely appreciate your feedback on the little things that matter to your stay whilst on business/ holiday from a budget offering (tariff: Rs.1,500 - Rs.1,800 per night).
For instance: Toothbrush, a small safe, a snack bar

Hi Pranava

Great to know about your new venture, i wish you and your friends all the success.

As a Business Traveller (i travel approx 15-20 days a month on an average), i have felt the need for good quality budget hotels in large cities as well as smaller towns, i list here the following

1. Tariff should be inclusive of all the taxes, duties etc. It could be as high as RS 3000/- per night for all the below facilities. You can have Tourist Class and Business Class facilities with different tariff.

2. 24 hours check out

3. Emperor sized soft, firm bed with good quality pillows

4. Good quality A/C with automatic control, not making noise

5. Bright curtains, bright lights

6. a working table with a table lamp, power plugs and internet socket/wi-Fi connection. Wi-Fi could be chargeable (50 RS/hour).

7. Good, clean western toilet with hot water gyser in working condition alogn with saving mirror. Exaust fan not making noise

8. Hyginic, Hot Indian Breakfast, Choice can be offered to the guest on Continetal, North Indian, South Indian or La-Carta. This could be inclusive in the tariff or can be charged extra

9. Nice, soft, clean towels with soap, shampoo sachets in the bathrooms.

10. Washing + Ironing Facility : 6-8 hours lead time.

11. Ironing facility : lead time of 30-60 minutes

12. Room Service with good quality food

13. A tea poy with 2 chairs for lunch/dinner in the room

14. A alarm clock viewable in darkness

15. CRT TV with Remote, some basic channels viz News etc. Rentable DVD library + DVD player at extra cost with a list of Movies in the room

16. Sufficient parking pacility

17. Good Noise isolation from the street traffic, corridor talks, next rooms.

Some Goodies can be as below (can be on chargeable basis)

1. Welcome Drink (Limbu Pani)
2. Tea/Coffee with some cookies : 2 Cups per day
3. Two bottles of mineral water (1 ltr each)
4. Dental Kit and Saving Kit on request
5. A Fruit bowl in the room (one banana, one apple, on sweet lime/orange, some grapes etc)
6. A news paper (English or local language on choice)
7. Wake up call and Bed Tea service
8. Pick up / drop from / to Airport, railway station, bus stand etc
9. A Meeting Room for meeting guests
10. A Business Center with Cyber Cafe, Telephone, Fax, printer, copier facilities

Last edited by StarVegabond : 14th November 2009 at 21:28.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2009, 22:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have been thinking of wi-fi but wonder how effective the signal strength would be. Also how would one bill usage ?
Stay away from it at the beginning.

Providing ANY form of in-room connectivity means you will have to keep track of what the guest is doing on internet. So that you can produce this record on request.

Remember the case when terrorists used WiFi to send emails. Owners of these net accounts had to face questioning for weeks.

There are solutions that will automate all this.

i.e. when Guest tries to use net for the first time she would be asked for demographic data. Someone at front desk would get an alert and can allow/disallow access. This would start billing and data transfer would be billed while checkout.

But buying these and keeping them running would require significant amount of money and staff training.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2009, 23:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been using ginger hotels since their launch a few years back. This is a chain of budget hotels owned by the TATA group. The room rates are from 1.5K to 2.5K depending on the location. Smart rates for advance booking are lower.

They have a central modem in their back office and they rent out prepaid wifi USB dongles. You use those and once the hours are over you pay through your nose again. In some properties they will take certain amounts in advance and give you a password which works for certain amount of data transfer and once those Mbs are gone it becomes redundant.

They have a property in Bangalore too the link is provided below Ginger hotels | Ginger Bangalore l Getting to Ginger Bangalore
I recommend that you stay with them a night or two and discover their secrets for your self. I have stayed at this property and it is just like any other ginger be it in Durg or Haridwar.
You will find answers to all of your queries regarding as to what type of facilities to put in the rooms, which to charge for and which to provide free, the types of linen, and how to charge for the wifi. They have Cafe Coffee days attached to almost all of their properties & these are open 24 hours. There is no room service but they have same day laundry at very economical prices and this is a boon for the business traveller on a longish tour and airline baggage restricted to 15~20 Kgs. You can have breakfast for Rs.99/- it is not free and lunch or dinner for between 149/- to 199/- You can also order food from near by restaurants and pizza outlets,the numbers are available in the room itself so you do not have to hunt for them in a new city. They have a travel desk too which is managed by their own people i.e the front desk. You must check out their bathrooms too, liquid soap dispensers instead of the usual soap cakes. {You must take care to use only standard and grade 'A' sanitary ware from EID Parry or Hindustan Vitreous. This is the secret to clean toilets and w/c. The commercial grades from the above two especially Hindustan or the so called standard grades from a host of others are more prone to collecting rather than cleaning. You could use American standard or Roca too but then we are talking of budget hotel.} House keeping is top notch and 24 hours.

The only negatives that I could find are that in some of their old properties they have window a/cs which do not come back on by themselves in case of power cut. So you wake up and switch them on once the generators have cut in and also again when the power comes back on. Splits will take care of this or if you have a central a/c then again problem solved. The other is that the front desks are very frugally manned and check in check out take a lot longer than usual.

You mentioned that your building is new. In case you are yet to put in the windows do talk to the people from Fenesta windows. The windows will save you a ton of money in terms of insulation & cleaner rooms and most important Quiter rooms = better sleep= happy customers = repeat & recommended business. Of course the initial payout will be more compared to conventional products. Here is the link for you UPVC Windows, UPVC Doors, UPVC Window manufacturer, PVC Windows, PVC Door

All the very best for your venture and do not forget to post the invite for the grand opening on the forum.

Last edited by khoj : 14th November 2009 at 23:36. Reason: Additional Info
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 13:15   #21
BHPian

Thanks buddies. After inspecting the hotel, am pretty positive that things would work out fine. Its located in a semi commercial locality, flat screen TV, internet ready, etc...SERVICE and Pricing will be the key. Will definitely keep all your inputs in mind the moment the deal is closed.

IF you have any more suggestions please feel free to contribute.
pranava999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 13:29   #22
BHPian

What strikes my mind in budget hotels is the hidden cameras, your hotel should not have any of those and you should run regular check at your staffs for it.

Apart from the above mentioned point please try to provide fruit juice service as this is the point lacked in all the budget hotels i stayed
jp2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 18:29   #23
BHPian

If I get the following I'm a happy camper:

1. Air Conditioning
2. Commode (Indian toilets are very uncomfortable)
3. Clean Spotless bedsheets and a sufficiently long bed where my feet dont hang off the edge (i'm 6ft 2)

Yeah just make sure that the rooms are aesthetically done. I've seen many a hotel room with garish pink, green and yellow painted walls. If you're a budget hotel, a clean whitewashed wall with a nice picture or painting would work just fine.

Good Luck with your project!
Wolfheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 01:23   #24
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I too stayed at a property of GINGER HOTELS in Haridwar once and was very very impressed with the upmarket feel for a budget hotel. Of what I could make out, The quality lied in:

1. Minimal Staff - No reception, No Room Service, No Bell Boy. Guests are supposed to do self-service. In fact they don;t even have a fully operational restaurant. Instead, they have allocated a franchise to Cafe Coffee Day and tht too adds to upmarket feel of the hotel. Staff reductions lead to massive savings for the company and with no restaurant, they effectively minimise operation cost to pretty much only Water and electricity. The Haridwar Gateway has all but a staff of 6 personnel managing a hotel with some 40 rooms.

2. Minimal Design - This does not apply to just budget hotels. Gateway hotels have a very minimalistic design approach with clean lines and simple furnitures. Less ornate the furniture, less is your cost of build and maintenance. Secondly, you can play mix and match easily without spoiling the overall look of any room.

3. *Most Important* Cleanliness - Of the 6 personnel manning Gateway Hotel, 4 were involved in cleaning. This is the level of cleanliness that makes even a budget hotel go upmarket. Clean Rooms, Clean sheets, clean bathroom. None of the unwanted odors. They have separate rooms for Smoking / Non-Smoking guests.

4. Cut out extras - There are no takeaway soaps, brushes, toothpastes, et al at Gateway Hotels. And there is genuinely no harm in it. Even for a more upmarket star hotel, Toiletries are either wasted or stolen by guests making it an unnecessary expenditure which could be avoided especially when on budget.

5. Nice Reception - This is the first thing that a guest sees in your hotel and budget hotel has no excuse for hideous or shady receptions. Spruce up your reception area a bit. Put some nice magazines, fresh newspapers, have a comfortable settee or two and make sure that toilets and drinking water are clearly visible to guests in the lobby. This helps in creating a better and healthy atmosphere. And make sure the lobby toilets are well looked after.

6. Parking - More and more people nowadays own cars / rent taxis / have visitors who own cars so a small parking space would help massively.

7. Nicely painted exteriors - Everything fails if the first look doesn't impress. As they say, 'First Impression is usually last impression'. Have some green plants at entry. Clearly marked directions and few parking spaces. A seedy hotel in shady areas of town doesn't help.

Last edited by akhilesh51 : 19th November 2009 at 01:26.
akhilesh51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 08:59   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys what are the rates for Ginger hotels in Bangalore and H'dwar?
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 19:12   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Guys what are the rates for Ginger hotels in Bangalore and H'dwar?
Mpower,

See the following links for Ginger Haridwar Ginger hotels | Ginger Haridwar | Tariff

& for Ginger Banglore Ginger hotels | Ginger Bangalore | Tariff

@ akhilesh51
"1. Minimal Staff - No reception, No Room Service, No Bell Boy. Guests are supposed to do self-service. In fact they don;t even have a fully operational restaurant. Instead, they have allocated a franchise to Cafe Coffee Day and tht too adds to upmarket feel of the hotel. Staff reductions lead to massive savings for the company and with no restaurant, they effectively minimise operation cost to pretty much only Water and electricity. The Haridwar Gateway has all but a staff of 6 personnel managing a hotel with some 40 rooms.

2. Minimal Design - This does not apply to just budget hotels. Gateway hotels have a very minimalistic design approach with clean lines and simple furnitures. Less ornate the furniture, less is your cost of build and maintenance. Secondly, you can play mix and match easily without spoiling the overall look of any room." UNQUOTE

I like the idea of self check in kiosks but am yet to find one that was functional.

The Ginger Banglore is also similar in terms of no restaurants and the Cafe Coffee doubling up as the food outlet. However at Pune they have both a restaurant actually more of a canteen with fixed menu meals and a cafe coffee day plus an ATM.

I believe you meant Ginger and not Gateway. Gateways are also owned by the TAJ group. Earlier known as Taj Residency they have been rechristened and compete with say Welcomgroup's Fortune chain.

@pranava999
You may want to have an ATM too. Convenience for your guests and also traffic puller for a Cafe coffee day or Barista that you may also have at your hotel.
Old 19th November 2009, 19:27   #27
BHPian

-Clean spotless toilets with 24 hrs hot water.
-Clean Sheets/Towels
-Error free and QUICK check-in and check out
-Realistic website with on-line reservation. ( Hate it when reality is different from website)
-Internet connectivity ( preferably wifi)
-Ironing/shoe polishing/laundry service, extra cost is okay.
-Sterile glasses in the room. Quality of water ( boiled/acquaguard/filtered) to be clearly stated.
-Noise insulation ( depending on environment)
-Front Office staff should be able to answer basic questions about the city.
Pragmites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 20:44   #28
Senior - BHPian

As a budget hotel owner in Jaipur following is my input, I am here talking about a 15-20 room hotel

1. For running the hotel
- Staffing is very important, staff should be reliable, presentable and responsive. If they are multi tasking its even better.
- try to keep your over heads as less as possible, but do not ever reduce cost at the expense of quality. One area you can really save on is electricity.
- Freebies should only be offered when they add value to your place
- More interaction you (owner) has with the guests the more happier will they go. e.g. You should know your repeat customers by name
- safety & security is a prime concern these days, make sure you offering a safe environment. Check the govt policies and install cctv cameras at the certified places right now if you have to. Also keep your guest records absolutely perfect,here the cops keep coming off and on for random checks. Fire fighting equipment would add to your safety and would definitely earn you brownie points.
- Very important is to have a hotel policy list that is displayed right at the reception (somewhere the guest cant miss) or behind the guest room door. For e.g here its very common that budget hotels do not allow visitors in guest rooms after 2300 hrs, this is not to inconvenience the other guests. Or another e.g if you are serving your complimentary b'fast in dinning room only then have it displayed.
- Food is important in any hotel. Make sure you have a wholesome menu. I do not mean have lots of items, but have enough for the guests to choose from. The menu should be made keeping your clientele in mind. Have room service, but preferably only for snacks and tea/coffee.

Guest Rooms

It really depends on what kind of clientele you expect. For eg if you into tourists/ families then you should mostly have double beds ( will save you space in room too). Also you need a few interconnecting rooms in that case.

But if you are mostly into corporate clients then twin beds would be ideal.

Other basic amentities that are required in a budget place are

- Clean linen, absolutely spick and span and not TORN and not SMELLY. use a good launderer, laundry isnt that expensive.
- western style clean bathroom with hot water ( solar geysers are good and govt gives some subsidies on them as well. Freebie soaps, shampoo with your hotel name address is always a good idea
- keep razors/cream, toothbrush/paste, comb on standby and provide on request
- I wouldnt use air coolers at all, I would only use A/c's. Window type is fine, but should be located in the perfect area for maximum cooling.
- side table with covered sanitised glasses
- reading lamp, 1 tube light and 2 bulbs/ yellow cfl tasetefully done should be enough. Avoid extra lights. Believe me electricity costs a bomb.
- coffee table with chairs, writing table, cupboard with atleast 4 hangers, luggage rack
- Full length mirror for the ladies is also must.

Here I am attaching pics of my rooms & reception.
Name:  RRoom.JPG
Views: 727
Size:  43.5 KB

What does every BUDGET  hotel room need?-rreception.jpg

Lot of points have already been covered by the other members. There are a few to which I would like to comment on. Please note nothing personnel but just my opinion on the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
btw, fyi budget = <1k/night!

k. Lots of plug points. 110v/univ converter available for a deposit/fee
I would not agree here. Plug points should be as few as possible for the following reasons.
a. fire hazard
b. more the plug points more the electricity load you would have to apply for. and more the load more the minimum electricity bill. And mind you for a budget place electricity is the biggest over head

Quote:
Have it only accessible in the lounge and preferably charge for it. Even though there is a nominal charge (that will cover your internet expense) but still the guests should not be misusing it, and whatever is free is always misused.

Ill add to this if I think about some more points later

All the best and regards

Last edited by deky : 19th November 2009 at 20:45.
deky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 18:19   #29
Senior - BHPian

deky

Can you pm your property's contact details to me. I might be passing through Jaipur later this month and would appreciate staying at a neat & clean place.
Old 8th April 2010, 20:03   #30
BHPian

Hi Pranava

There is this hotel chain called 'forumula one' in parts of europe and in south africa. Its been my goal to set up something like that.

A really good model of budget value for money deal.
psathya is offline   Reply With Quote