Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2009, 17:32   #1
BHPian
 
inder_s1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 238
Thanked: 36 Times
Default C-Section becoming a trend in hospitals

Hi All,

Recently, I have seen that almost every delivery is thru C-Section Including our case.

I have around 6 friends who confirmed that they were told that it will be a normal delivery but at the end moment , the doctor said it's gonna be a C. Also, since most of us work for companies and have insurance upto 50k , they make the bill a whooping 70k to 1.5K.

Most babies born nowadays are in incubation for 10 days for Jaundice. They are given injections without much care. Hospitals have packages like 1.5L for staying and every nurse or a attender needs money during your stay.

I myself experienced this situation :

1. Docs said , It will be normal delivery.

2. then, They said we need to induce pain as the labour pain is very slight.

3. Gave Epidoral ( Some issues of backpain for lifetime heard abt this )

4. then , they said Baby might swallow waste so let's go for C-Section

5. Baby in NICU for observation as it has swallowed some waste.

1-3 went on for 10 days of stay in hospital and then C-section after which another 5 days in hospital.

I feel Docs and Management just want to make money and dont care about our emotions at all.

In my friends case, while taking the baby out , they goofed up and the baby started bleeding in his skull area. Then they gave 1 bottle blood for the baby for which my friend had to run around 2 hospitals. As if this wasnt enough, they suggested the baby be put thru MRI to check for any damage to brain , the staff in MRI said it's the first time they hve seen a new born there and didnt know what settings need to be used for a new born. 20 days in Incubation. All the while 2 injections a day. He has spent over 2L. All this in Columbia Asia, Hebbal. Can you believe all this ??

He finally went to a local hospital near his area and they were shocked to hear all that baby has been through and they gave the necessary treatment for 5 days only and the baby is fine now.

Indy

Last edited by inder_s1 : 26th November 2009 at 17:36.
inder_s1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2009, 17:45   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
shishir_bn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,191
Thanked: 104 Times
Default

Frankly speaking there are so many sad stories of not following Doc oreder also. My wife's friend was also told it will be a normal and at the nth moment they told it will be a C section and gave some reasons. But the husband and his parents were adament(thinking that this is a new way to make money)and told that they will wait for normal delivary. But the sad part was internal bleeding started and the doctors had to do a c section and removed the baby but still the sadest part was mother didn't make the operation. She slipped into coma due to pain and excessive bleeding and the docs couldn't stop the bleedding and she dies in coma itself. This happened in one of the bigeest chain of hospitals A*****. IMO even if it means some amount it is ok as we will be playing with the child's future. Moreover we don't know what the complications may be. Due to unwanted stories and in reality we would be thinking that docs are taking extra bucks by telling c-section but who knows the reality and what is happening inside the womb. it is left to individual on how they take up this when the last minute comes up to take the decision. This is just MY OPINION.

Last edited by shishir_bn : 26th November 2009 at 17:47.
shishir_bn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2009, 17:59   #3
BHPian
 
inder_s1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 238
Thanked: 36 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
Frankly speaking there are so many sad stories of not following Doc oreder also. My wife's friend was also told it will be a normal and at the nth moment they told it will be a C section and gave some reasons. But the husband and his parents were adament(thinking that this is a new way to make money)and told that they will wait for normal delivary. But the sad part was internal bleeding started and the doctors had to do a c section and removed the baby but still the sadest part was mother didn't make the operation. She slipped into coma due to pain and excessive bleeding and the docs couldn't stop the bleedding and she dies in coma itself. This happened in one of the bigeest chain of hospitals A*****. IMO even if it means some amount it is ok as we will be playing with the child's future. Moreover we don't know what the complications may be. Due to unwanted stories and in reality we would be thinking that docs are taking extra bucks by telling c-section but who knows the reality and what is happening inside the womb. it is left to individual on how they take up this when the last minute comes up to take the decision. This is just MY OPINION.
Shishir,

I agree to your point that we shouldn't be adamant to go our way. But I think most of us just blindly follow what they say as we don't have knowledge of medical science therefore no choice.

But the fact is that nowadays docs don't care and diagnose properly. That is what I am concerned about. It's becoming like a business.

In my friends case, if I narrate the whole story , you'll be in tears .. that was just a brief insight on that he went through.

My sister is a doctor and flew down from Dubai as the delivery date was nearing. When she was checking the report , it was taken away from the nurse ( might be policy of hospital ) inspite of she telling I'm also a doctor.

Indy

Last edited by inder_s1 : 26th November 2009 at 18:00.
inder_s1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2009, 18:05   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,026
Thanked: 373 Times
Default

Manipal hospital in Bangalore has a novel way,

If patient enquires about C-Section then The doc clearly tells there is a package deal of XXX amount weather normal or not. So it is clear that we want amount X if you agree to pay beforehand we will go by your choice if possible.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2009, 19:11   #5
BHPian
 
gomzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 784
Thanked: 125 Times
Default

@inder, its sad to hear this kind of story.

Its true some places doctors and hospitals are treating things like its a business and how to go about getting maximum money from patients. A friend had a bad experience once due to a doctor trying to achieve a "sales target" for his hospital by recommending hospitalization and a certain way of treatment.

I took my friend and his reports to a reputed hospital in South Mumbai for a second opinion and it turned out that some medication only was required and no need for hospitalization.

When we have the time, I'd recommend a second opinion. But in emergencies, we have to trust in the doctors at hand.
gomzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2009, 20:38   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 448
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Manipal hospital in Bangalore has a novel way,

If patient enquires about C-Section then The doc clearly tells there is a package deal of XXX amount weather normal or not.
To add to it... XXX is a 6 digit figure....

Regards,
amohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2009, 22:04   #7
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 7,971
Thanked: 3,388 Times
Default

Rightly said, this is indeed becoming a common trend at a lot of places.
A colleague of mine whose wife's delivery was planned in Hyderabad was informed all along even to the final day that her's would be a normal delivery. On the final day, they recited the same symptoms as the one mentioned below, and a C-section was in order. Since they knew no better, they agreed.

Quote:
4. then , they said Baby might swallow waste so let's go for C-Section

5. Baby in NICU for observation as it has swallowed some waste.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2009, 22:10   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder_s1 View Post
Hi All,

Recently, I have seen that almost every delivery is thru C-Section Including our case.

I have around 6 friends who confirmed that they were told that it will be a normal delivery but at the end moment , the doctor said it's gonna be a C. Also, since most of us work for companies and have insurance upto 50k , they make the bill a whooping 70k to 1.5K.

Most babies born nowadays are in incubation for 10 days for Jaundice. They are given injections without much care. Hospitals have packages like 1.5L for staying and every nurse or a attender needs money during your stay.

I myself experienced this situation :

1. Docs said , It will be normal delivery.

2. then, They said we need to induce pain as the labour pain is very slight.

3. Gave Epidoral ( Some issues of backpain for lifetime heard abt this )

4. then , they said Baby might swallow waste so let's go for C-Section

5. Baby in NICU for observation as it has swallowed some waste.

1-3 went on for 10 days of stay in hospital and then C-section after which another 5 days in hospital.

I feel Docs and Management just want to make money and dont care about our emotions at all.

In my friends case, while taking the baby out , they goofed up and the baby started bleeding in his skull area. Then they gave 1 bottle blood for the baby for which my friend had to run around 2 hospitals. As if this wasnt enough, they suggested the baby be put thru MRI to check for any damage to brain , the staff in MRI said it's the first time they hve seen a new born there and didnt know what settings need to be used for a new born. 20 days in Incubation. All the while 2 injections a day. He has spent over 2L. All this in Columbia Asia, Hebbal. Can you believe all this ??

He finally went to a local hospital near his area and they were shocked to hear all that baby has been through and they gave the necessary treatment for 5 days only and the baby is fine now.

Indy
frankly speaking, apart from the "goofed up" part which is not clear, everything else seems to be complications that can occur to anybody.

as far as making money is concerned, when everybody is making money illegally (RTO, govt babus, HR managers, bank managers, pharma companies.....) why should we blame the doctors for having an eye on the revenue. What's really concerning is the lack of professionalism which results in disasters since it's a life at stake.

I will cite examples from US. unlike India, doctors are strictly bound by the regulations here, mostly enforced or lobbied by insurance. My wife had pains a day before the scheduled date and they refused to get her operated because she was technically not in labor. around noon when their monitors and tests confirmed that she was having contractions, they decided to go with the C-section. Also, first time the baby was breach, so docs insisted on C-section. There had been many cases of breach infants dying while getting delivered. Since first was a C-section, second was also recommended for c-section for fear of rupture of internal scars from first (we were given an option, we took C-section). At both times there was minimal impact to us, most of it was to the insurance, but it was very clear that they did it for our good. And let me re-emphasize that doctors here can not randomly decide on a C-section just to get more from insurance. By the way, I am fully aware of revenue conscious hospital managers and a screwed up healthcare system here.

So first, C-section is not always unnecessary. it's new, it's unnatural, but it has saved many lives. And second, In india where everything can be circumvented and corruption kills faster than cancer, we need to keep our eyes open and seek second or third opinions when it's a major procedure.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2009, 22:44   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
NetfreakBombay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,375
Thanked: 315 Times
Default

My mother worked as a Gynecologist till 2002.

She was naturally involves in decisions. When my kid was born, we knew in advance that is would be a C-Section due to breach. When my nephew and niece were born, those were C-Sections again.

So, I think C-Sections are necessary in quite a few cases.

Regarding costs, these deliveries happened in Private Ward of Govt medical Collage. Total cost for under 5k. Most of cost was due to medicines. Cost of room was 200 Rs per day (AC room with kitchen).
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 09:25   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
lurker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tura
Posts: 1,290
Thanked: 577 Times
Default

delivery at home with help of midwives needs to be repopularized in India.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 10:00   #11
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 448
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
delivery at home with help of midwives needs to be repopularized in India.
That was one nasty way dude, which resulted in loss of so many lives.
Instead of going back in time, we need a more accountable system.

Regards,
amohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 10:05   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
shishir_bn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,191
Thanked: 104 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder_s1 View Post
Shishir,

I agree to your point that we shouldn't be adamant to go our way. But I think most of us just blindly follow what they say as we don't have knowledge of medical science therefore no choice.

But the fact is that nowadays docs don't care and diagnose properly. That is what I am concerned about. It's becoming like a business.

In my friends case, if I narrate the whole story , you'll be in tears .. that was just a brief insight on that he went through.

My sister is a doctor and flew down from Dubai as the delivery date was nearing. When she was checking the report , it was taken away from the nurse ( might be policy of hospital ) inspite of she telling I'm also a doctor.

Indy
You are absolutely right inder.Docs don't care nowadays. Even those who were caring are now behind money. There is no wrong to go behind money but they should not keep people in dark(100% of times they do this). but in India the C-section hads become a big business as it given them 6 digits amount(big hospitals) and almost 50K for a medium hospital.
shishir_bn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 10:17   #13
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 361
Thanked: 25 Times
Default

@inder - indeed a difficult experience.

However, including myself, and 2 neighbours have had the best experience in the same hospital mentioned.

The doctor was extremely accomodative, and so were the nurses.

Let me reiterate, this is not just me - so there are quite a few people who have been treated well too.
MuraliR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 10:38   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
nairrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Payyannur-Kannur district
Posts: 2,106
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

It is mostly happening in the posh private hospitals.
Further I have seen many couples are opting for C-sections inorder the baby come out in a particular date and time (auspicious -time of berth).

Another major thing is that, in those days, carrying women were told to work as much as possible (do all kind of house work) which is necessary for the body to be flexible for normal delivery. And I have seen many cases that natural delivery takes place within 24 hours of admitting into the hospital. But in todays busy life and with modern kitchen (everything is machine and automatic) where do a carrying women need to put up a hard work. The lifestyle itself making all these things difficult and eventually C-section is the result?
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 10:53   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
pramodkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Gods own country
Posts: 1,971
Thanked: 819 Times
Default

I am very happy i live in kerala, there was a sting operation conducted by some news channels and finally the doctors have pulled up their socks. These things are very rare 'now' in kerala, but having said that, i feel its not the doctors alone who are prescribing c sections these days. My mom alyways says that how my grandmom made her to do all houseold stuff when she was expecting me and my younger sister. The reason my grand mom gave was, my mom will have a painless delivery if she does houseold work and my mom says iots very true. Our lifestyles have changed our immune systems have gone weaker now. Both my grand moms lived very healty till their last days.

I see ladies take a lot of rest these days during pregnancies and mom says that is the prime reason for the issues. I a sure our parents are a generation apart but i feel there is some truth in whatever they say.


Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My experience in NICU Manipal hospitals airport road Bangalore sam_boy Shifting gears 21 25th June 2010 13:54
Fiesta Gear shift becoming hard! talkingpebbles Technical Stuff 20 24th August 2009 14:51
India becoming a global hub for fake auto parts mithun The Indian Car Scene 1 20th September 2007 17:04
India is fast becoming a hub for diabetes ECM Shifting gears 3 8th January 2007 13:32
Kidney theft at Apollo Hospitals Surprise Shifting gears 9 27th November 2006 02:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:47.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks