Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 30th November 2009, 23:46   #1
BHPian

Thumbs up CAT 2009: Any takers?

Took my CAT today. Surprisingly, it went without a hitch. The staff were well informed and courteous. The computers were new, with great LCD monitors. The center had power backup, and when the power went out twice in the middle of the exam, we had no interruptions in the test. Everything was finished in time, and we were out before 1pm.

Hell, had it not been for all the hoopla in the media, I'd had thought prometric had done a very good job indeed

How was it for you?

Note: As per CAT guidelines, let's refrain from discussing anything related to the question paper itself. Thanks.
d3mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 23:55   #2
BHPian

I appeared for my exam on the very first day, in the second slot. Went fine without a fuss.
live2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 08:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

7,000 students will have to appear again. India simply does not have proper infrastructre to take these exams online.

This time GCET was also taken online and it was a disaster.

1) My exam time was in evening, 2nd July. This was the last batch for that day. Somehow they were facing technical difficulties. Only 3-4 students out of 300-400 managed to get online.

Later after 30 mins they faced problems.

2) The exam was rescheduled on 5th July, 12:30 Pm. I reached there at 12:00 noon as per norms, but security denied entry. I went inside through other entrance. I saw others who were with me on 2nd july taking back fees in a class room. Some of them were my classmates from BCA. Shocked, I procedded into basement in computer labs. There I was informed that I have now lost the chance to give exam.

I told them I was not informed that the exam was shifted to morning. Their arguement was that all those who have given their phone nos. were informed. At that time I was carrying the photocopy of the forms that I had submitted. I had mentioned my phone number there.

3) After making calls for three hours, exam was conducted for 3 students. We were not in mental state to give exams.

So at the end of the day, I am sure the never ever India will be ready for these online test. We simply don't have infrastructure ( both machines and men ) to conduct these exams online.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 10:03   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

My slot is for Friday morning. 4th Dec.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 16:12   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
So at the end of the day, I am sure the never ever India will be ready for these online test. We simply don't have infrastructure ( both machines and men ) to conduct these exams online.
How can you make such a sweeping statement? Don't we already have the BITSAT online test, which is being conducted for the last 5 years successfully? With over 1 lac candidates, no less!

Just because there are teething troubles with CAT due to prometric's short-sightedness, it doesn't mean CAT will never be able to be conducted trouble free. Once these issues are ironed out, online tests are surely the way forward!

@nikhil All the best

Last edited by d3mon : 1st December 2009 at 16:13.
Old 1st December 2009, 16:14   #6
Team-BHP Support

Which was your center d3mon ?

My younger brother's writing his CAT on the 5th
Eddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 17:03   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks d3mon! I need all the luck I can get!

I dont agree with aaaaaagggggggooooooswami. There are teething problems in every venture. What I feel is, the students shouldnt be penalised. A lot of engineering students are writing CAT and now, their rescheduled CAT will clash with their engg exams. This sucks. They should have had a thorough testing session before they exposed the students to this mess.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 17:18   #8
BHPian

My slot is Monday morning at a center that's a 20 km drive (its beyond KR Puram lake).

Did some reconnaissance this weekend -- I was actually surprised to see that they had put up a prominent banner at the turnoff from the main highway for directing test takers.

Now I'm just hoping that I'll get there without getting stuck in traffic on Monday morning.
CrackedHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 23:19   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Which was your center d3mon ?

My younger brother's writing his CAT on the 5th
My center was Ansal Institute of Technology (AIT), gurgaon.
Old 2nd December 2009, 03:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

I heard that there were some virus issues that bugged the system,and a lot of people weren't able to take their CAT exams. Any idea if the problem has been fixed?
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2009, 08:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

This is simply outrageous.

CAT servers were infected by "Nimda" and "Cornnfcliker". This is not 2000. Admin who is running these servers should be sacked NOW.

Even most basic versions of anti virus packages would take care of these viruses.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2009, 08:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
This is simply outrageous.

CAT servers were infected by "Nimda" and "Cornnfcliker". This is not 2000. Admin who is running these servers should be sacked NOW.

Even most basic versions of anti virus packages would take care of these viruses.
Blame CAT crash on Conflicker: Prometric - CIOL News Reports
here's a news article
Quote:
[FONT=Verdana]"We now realize that we should not have used public infrastructure for the computerized test," a DNA report quoted Prometric COO Charles Karnan as saying.[/FONT]
If only they had figured that out earlier .
Apparently its a 40MUSD contract!
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2009, 10:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

If IIM was a private company, whoever did technical feasibility before awarding the contract would have been fired by now.

It is a standard practice to ask Vendors to prove how would they ensure IT Security at perimeter and in network.

Hope IIM would "manage" it better going forward.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2009, 21:56   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
7,000 students will have to appear again. India simply does not have proper infrastructre to take these exams online.

wt*?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
If IIM was a private company, whoever did technical feasibility before awarding the contract would have been fired by now.

It is a standard practice to ask Vendors to prove how would they ensure IT Security at perimeter and in network.

Hope IIM would "manage" it better going forward.
Wonder what the "Premier B-School" teaches its students?

If IIMA offers admission ima say "NA-DA!"
godog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009, 10:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

CrackedHead @ reach the center 1-2 hours before the scheduled time, you cant predict the bangalore traffic

Nikhil - All the best

Last edited by Latheesh : 3rd December 2009 at 10:53.
Latheesh is online now   Reply With Quote