Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 17th August 2010, 21:55   #31
BHPian

Congrats Even I am seriously considering automobile engg. next year. All depends on the CET marks though !
prateekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 12:46   #32
BHPian

Default Update :)

A want to be Tuners Birth day Gift

Name:  gift.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  69.5 KB

Itz been around 3.5 months since i have joined "Tune Up Plus".

Below are few days i remember and things i have learned (still perfecting) -

*1st day at work & i was washing stuff on the washing ramp.
*3rd day serviced a Octavia myself all alone (ya sir did tell me what all had to be done)
*4th day i was given a short lecture on what it takes to be different than those thousands of roadside & service center mechanics.
*Clutch overhauls,brakes,suspension,silencers,mirrors,wind ow glasses not working have done it all.
*A Corolla engine overhaul - right from taking it out of the car to putting it back onto the car & the first crank.Gone through esteem n honda engine rebuilds too but wasn't a major part of them.
*Making Job Cards,sitting & handling the store & doing the entries,washing-vacuuming cars,getting the spares,going for breakdowns,etc etc.

Plan to stay until i perfect every bit of what am getting to learn.

And to all those who want to be a tuner or something similar - A good Garage is the best place to start.

IMP - " TATA cars are a mechanics worst nightmare "

Last edited by Neil.Bhujbal : 3rd December 2010 at 12:49.
Neil.Bhujbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 13:43   #33
Senior - BHPian

@Neil - Be proud of yourself; A decade ago, I too has a dream like you did, but was never able to make it due to family circumstances. But I'm glad you made it. Excellent

Quote:
TATA cars are a mechanics worst nightmare
Pls - can you elaborate as why?

Here's a little gift from my side...
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 17:55   #34
Senior - BHPian

Get a longer 1/2" drive socket wrench unless you are Superman lol.

And a set of ring and open-ended spanners along with a nice soldering station. I keep all that in my car at all times

Also, a belated Happy Birthday.

Last edited by pranavt : 3rd December 2010 at 18:01.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 22:46   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Neil - Be proud of yourself; A decade ago, I too has a dream like you did, but was never able to make it due to family circumstances. But I'm glad you made it. Excellent

Pls - can you elaborate as why?
Thanks.

About TATA the thing is - If a certain work requires 5 mins on any car TATA cars are bound to take 10 to 15 mins depending on how well maintained they are

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Get a longer 1/2" drive socket wrench unless you are Superman lol.

And a set of ring and open-ended spanners along with a nice soldering station. I keep all that in my car at all times

Also, a belated Happy Birthday.
Thanks Planning to get rest of the tools by this month end.
Old 3rd December 2010, 23:15   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil.Bhujbal View Post
About TATA the thing is - If a certain work requires 5 mins on any car TATA cars are bound to take 10 to 15 mins depending on how well maintained they are
C'mon, that's the same case with any car, not only w.r.t Tata.

I seriously fail to understand as why it would take 10-15 minutes for a 5 min repair. I can think of only 2 reasons for this...
1. The mech is learning so looks, understands & carries out the work. This may not be applicable for you I guess.
2. Probably the engineering is too complicated that, for other cars, an X work takes 5 minutes, while the same X work takes 15 minutes.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2011, 00:03   #37
BHPian

Default Update -

It's been around 7 months now,with so much of things learnt & so many of things yet to learn i have decided to leave Tune Up Plus on 31st March.

Plan to take a short brake,complete my submissions,projects & get into some authorized dealership mostly as a mechanic.

Lets see what the future beholds
Old 22nd June 2011, 14:21   #38
BHPian

Default Update !!!

A 'Want To Be Tuner' has landed up in Mercedes as a Assistant Technician.

But how ? Shouldn't i still be working in a garage so that i get good experience working on different cars of different brands ? And make my dream come true ?

But boss money also plays a important role. Important role in making your future & dreams come true.

Have seen guys like pranav who being from non automobile field have achieved no less than a tuner. How did they make it possible ?

Hard work,Passion & Money (for the experiments).

I could have continued working in different garages if i was sure about opening a garage myself later on.But sensing the current conditions i took a safer way out of adding good company names to my job profile & of growing & rising with them until i take the plunge.

So till then on the "Want To be Tuners" front its only reading & improving & since i will be payed a little more than earlier,experimenting too will come in.
Old 14th August 2011, 19:19   #39
BHPian

Default Another Update

Call me lucky or whatever, its been a month here in Merc & i have only serviced couple of cars.

I went in and was made to work on 3 engine overhauls - E 350, C 250 (both engine seizures) & E 280 (knocking prob needs overhaul)

Washing engines was not new since i had done it at TUNE UP PLUS too but this time i got to

1)overhaul heads which consists of lapping,replacing collets,vavle guides.

2)Inserting pistons, calculating the crank bearing sizes,etc

3)Setting the Timimg - We were playing on the E 350s timing for 1 whole day before we could get it right,etc etc

All in all i dont regret joining Merc .I thought i would hardly get to see any engine overhauls & learn but was proved wrong.

Till the time material for overhauling the engines arrived i was mostly into electrical problem detection under a guy who has topped in mechatronics exams all over India in Mercedes Benz.He has taught me a lot & is preparing me for the entrance exam of mechatronics which is happening next year.

Cherry on the cake - they are sending me for a 6 months full time course & i will be a certified Technician. If i perform good i will also be sponsored for mechatronics course & sent to Mercedes Benz Plant which costs around 90K when done through government polytechnic.
Old 25th February 2013, 17:34   #40
BHPian

Default Re: Another Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil.Bhujbal View Post
Call me lucky or whatever, its been a month here in Merc & i have only serviced couple of cars.................which costs around 90K when done through government polytechnic.
Reviving an old thread here.

Congrats Neil,
Such a story does prove passion and hard work gets you to places.
I am sure there are many who can draw experience from this and go on to acheiving their dreams.
Special praise for your willingness to do all parts of car servicing, right from washing to engine overhauls!!
Kudos my friend, hope you have gone further up the scale by becoming a full technician and much more.
mahesh.kolary is offline   Reply With Quote