Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 8th December 2009, 15:20   #1
BHPian

Default Indian Sports

After India has donned the crown of being the #1 Test playing country a few days back, something that I cant get over is the state of affairs of other sports.

Lot of BHPIANS must have been following a sport surely or involved with some sport either following it or playing it even!

I for one follow soccer and am a die-hard fan of Arsenal FC but am appalled by the mere thought of infrastructure that we have for sporting events.

Where I live there is not even a playing ground or play ground for kids - no coaching or clubs which will hone the talents / skills of the younger lot.... I have not been to Australia but am told (hearsay) that every 5 blocks there is either a tennis court, a swimming pool or atleast a club - this could be in city's but this is what actually develops kids in becoming better individuals - playing a sport!

I am trying to drive home a point which is -
Is there any hope of building better future for kids in our country?
If so what are the various means of doing this?
Will this ever be done here in our lifetime?
saildrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 16:05   #2
BHPian

Saildrive,

Its a beautiful thread infact.I too keep thinking the same, since i hate cricket and play shuttle a lot at the Karnataka Badminton Club,where one of the greatest player Prakash Padukone coaches.

Coming to your points,

1) Hope is always there for people who really would want to do well inspite of all the issues, bureaucracy happening in India and all the sports' bodies.

2) Doing this has many means. For example, people who can afford to get their own infrastructure like Abhinav Bindra who has his own training facility with a/c and what not. It was his pure love for shooting that he did it , nothing else. See, what he got home. Then all of us are all over him.

This shows there is no dearth for talent as such.

People with no such privileges will have to slog it out to reach their goal. In INDIA, a lot works with money and influence.

Only the real talent has to be given a chance and not so talented should be made to wait instead of infuence taking over and the talented ones are benched.

3) the answer to this point in a big No. Well atleast, i dont see it happening in my lifetime!!!

Last edited by nandans2005 : 8th December 2009 at 16:19.
nandans2005 is offline   Reply With Quote