Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 9th December 2009, 16:07   #16
Senior - BHPian

Public sector organisations like BHEL, BEL, ISRO, HAL etc.
Public sector banks - SBI, Canara Bank, BOB etc.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 16:13   #17
BHPian

Multi brand auto service centers will throw up great opportunities. What with the proliferation of four and two wheelers and the apathy of ***. Good and reliable service centers with customer focus will be the new mints of tomorrow. CARNATIONS are good examples of filling a much needed gap in the auto after sales industry.

Raja
COSY RAJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 16:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Restaurateurs
Isn't opening a restaurant one of the riskiest businesses out there?
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 16:19   #19
Senior - BHPian

The most cool and stable job is to be a teacher or a professor in a govt college/university.
sdp1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 16:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
The most cool and stable job is to be a teacher or a professor in a govt college/university.
Exactly.
Education field is the last field that will be hit even in recession. Constant income will be there without any problems. New and new " exciting " and " high level " street side colleges are opening with speed that can give inferiority complex to a Brabus tuned E. All of them have fees that prove one point : Education is for rich. So you dont have any problems in here.

Add to that the respect. Sir, Sir and you generally dont have bad bosses there in.

Some colleges are built in plot smaller than my house and fees are high. Some houses go three floor high and there is a school or KG section running.

In any case its safe and nice.
Real estate is also very very good for money making but issue of anti social elements set in.

Teaching is a profession where there is minimum risk, max benefits. And its only in war that this field is severely affected.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 16:36   #21
BHPian

I agree with you guys.Educational Field is the best.

How about opening a T-BHP College of Automobile Engineering ? ?

And the faculty would consist of Psycho Sir, GTO Sir,Ford_Rocam Sir,Viper Sir,RD Sir, KS Sir,etc

Last edited by Neil.Bhujbal : 9th December 2009 at 16:37.
Neil.Bhujbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 16:37   #22
Senior - BHPian

Very good topic!!

The most stable jobs are government jobs.

The sectors that are least affected by a recession:
Education
Healthcare
Food

I think starting something on own in an area of interest would be more fulfilling than the regular job. But I am unable to take the plunge as I have a family to support.
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 16:48   #23
Senior - BHPian

@ Shishir
Quote:
farming(anything will work--- Fruit trees of all kinds in 5-6acres of land--Obviously outside bangalore)
I don't think so, unless you are in the field already and have no reason to complain.

Quote:
and the way the the agriculture is taking back seat in coming time the "prices" will shoot up and the "farmer" should have the last laugh
Quote:
So for sure "agriculture/farming" will be a very lucrative option.
Lohit, I think the question was what is a good industry Today,
as of Today agri is taking a back seat simply because of middlemen eating away all the profits, I personally know farmers who toil all day for months only to end up with next to nothing because of bad prices in the wholesale markets.

Interesting discussion though.
Lukeskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 16:52   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Lohit, I think the question was what is a good industry Today,
as of Today agri is taking a back seat simply because of middlemen eating away all the profits, I personally know farmers who toil all day for months only to end up with next to nothing because of bad prices in the wholesale markets.

Interesting discussion though.
Yes this is true, i think farmers are the only people on earth who produce something and can not fix a rate for it. The prices are decided by somebody and the farmer as only one option to sell it or not.
reddy6980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 17:03   #25
Senior - BHPian

It won't be the same for everyone. IMO, you should be in a job which you have a passion for. Nothing like getting a chance to do things you love to do and still make money out of it.

Everyone would not like to be a Govt. Doctor for that matter. Everyone wont like to be a software engineer too. The fact of the matter is, a major percentage (>85%?) of people in IT field does not enjoy what they are doing. They ended up with this because of the money factor.

Last edited by clevermax : 9th December 2009 at 17:04.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 17:32   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
The fact of the matter is, a major percentage (>85%?) of people in IT field does not enjoy what they are doing. They ended up with this because of the money factor.
I endorse that.
gupta_chd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 17:33   #27
Senior - BHPian

All of us pretty much agree to the fact that there is nothing like a Govt job be it an IAS/IPS, Defence or a Govt Bank employee or a teacher at a Govt school or college.

But, these jobs are at a premium, to most of us. Given this condition, what do we think are the other options for a career/self employment taking into account today's scenario?

Also, going by the "What is your age" thread at TBHP, most of us are in our mid 20s-40s, which means lots of energy, time and will to do something for the better. So this discussion might really end up changing a few TBHP lives as well.

My list of lucrative "earning options" is as under:
1. Agriculture/Horticulture/Floriculture.
2. Healthcare.
3. Hotel/Catering/Eco Tourism.
4. Counselling Services/Helplines/Mentoring Services.
That is pretty much of what I think will flourish for a good time to come.

I dunno if I m correct, just my 25 naya paisa of thought.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 17:39   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nothing like getting a chance to do things you love to do and still make money out of it.
That, my friend is called having your cake and getting to eat it too

In my case, i decided on a career shift, because I thought I'd enjoy what I am doing now, it is better than working in a cube farm, but then you always don't get what you worked for.
Lukeskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 17:40   #29
Senior - BHPian

The problem with most of the govt jobs is that they entail a lot of work pressure. Most govt departments are understaffed. IAS/IPS officers are under political pressure and interference, their jobs keep getting transferred.

Even PSUs are not spared. I've got friends in PSUs who spend 10 hrs a day in office. I know of officers in PSU banks having long evenings and working on weekends as well.
sdp1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 17:46   #30
Senior - BHPian

Stability is a relative thing.

If i talk in automobile terminology, Stability @ 0 KMPH, @30 KMPH, @ 60 KMPH, @100 KMPH, @160 KMPH or @ 200 KMPH are different, if we add different dimensions like curved road, downhill, rains, dark night, fog etc, then the same stability@ xxx speed would be very much differently perceived.

in other words,

Stability without Growth, w/o Job Satisfaction, w/o Peace of Mind, w/o Exposure/Learning w/o positive social impact is of no use.

I do not think Government Jobs in India as on today offer these aspects in all respects.

The more relevant question is What are the Top Jobs to be In say 2015 or 2020 or 2025 ??

I was reading an interesting book titled The Extreme Future by James Canton, PhD, CEO & Chairman of Institute of Global Futures. He seems to be advising several Fortune 1000 companies and US Govt/DoD. As per him top jobs globally in 2015, 2020, 2025 could be as below

Would be Top Jobs in 2015
-------------------------
Neuro-Medical Technologists
Person Protectors / Personal Security Technologists
Organ Cloners
Biofuture Therapists
Quantum Therapists
Real Time Business Executives
Online COnsumer Marketing Wizards
Health Enhancement Therapists
Cancer Enablers

Would be Top Jobs in 2020
----------------------------
Knowledge Management Advisors
Nano-Bio Entrepreneurs
Artists, Writers, Poets
On-Demand Supply Chain Designers
Global head hunters

Would be Top Jobs in 2025
------------------------------
Reality Interactive TV Producers
Gene Engineers
Robotic Psychotherapists
Cyjacks or Anti hackers
Personal Privacy Advisors
Personal Identity Finders

From Indian Perspective we can imagine where we would heading.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 9th December 2009 at 17:56.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote