God exists. 130 45.94%
God exists only in the human mind. 23 8.13%
Maybe there is something not definable by man. 93 32.86%
There is nothing such as GOD. 37 13.07%
Voters: 283. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 24th January 2011, 18:32   #166
BHPian

Default Re: Do You believe in existence of GOD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Now you may ask what does an Atheist do? Even an Atheist 'trusts' there is no specific power that controls the world and beyond, but he would substitute it with Nature. He may not worship Nature, but he trusts that events happen due to Nature. He trusts than 'good and/or bad things happen due to nature' and moves on.
Celestial and scientific happenings are due to nature/scientific principles. Market ( non scientific ) due to psychological reasoning.

Last edited by KumaravelS : 24th January 2011 at 18:34.
Old 24th January 2011, 19:57   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
Sorry Moderators but now we are getting down to -"My Daddy is stronger then yours syndrome" I strongly feel that we should not have started this topic because we are not mature enough to "discuss".
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
I am sorry Colonel but please point out a few posts which suggest that "your God is greater than mine" mentality.
he meant "my god is greater than yours".

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post

I believe in Islam. Allah is the only god and there is nobody worthy of worship except him.
right here.

Frankly speaking, what one decides to believe in is none of others' business, be it allah, jesus, ram, or harry potter for that matter. Different people, different faiths, totally understandable.

What's really worthy of discussion is when your faith starts affecting others, when you think they are any less human than you, when you think others' lifestyle needs to be altered because it's corrupted, or when your faih directs you to kill anybody else from other faiths. (that's rhetorical, I don't mean YOU, or your faith. History is full of al kinds of examples from India and worldwide).
Old 24th January 2011, 20:16   #168
Senior - BHPian

Many posts from repected members here have implied that God is not doing anything to stop nonsence going on in this world. He has already given a code to lead a life to humans via various messengers. Every is expected to adhear to it to remove impurities corruption vices etc. from individuals and societies. That code, holy books, have been corrupted beyond repair and people have been decieved and mislead to the point that they have lost any spirituality or connection with God so much so that they question His very existance.

If God appears in front of us, and says "I am God, worship me, live as per my rules on my earth" then where is the faith ?

Of course I cannot eye neighbour's wife/daughter, beat my wife, be a pain to my neighbours, dis-respect parents etc etc and expect God to do wonders for me everytime I look to the skies and ask for help everytime. Unless there is sincere repentance or if you are tortured/given a bad judgement due to no fault of your's. Then that prayer reaches directly to God unconditionally w/o boundaries of faith, country, race or religion.
In a hospital, I read a book written by Sadhu Vaswani and the book's name was "Why good people suffer" Its a nice book and the crux of the book was God want the creation to become close to him and sometimes inflicts calamities on him so that he turns towards Him.
Looking at this Kalyug and the atrocities caused by powerful individuals and countries the angels ask permission, the skies and the sea asks permission that unleash me on the transgressors so that we can wipe this filth from this earth. The Ever patient God says "If it is your creation then destroy them, if he is my creation, he will make repentance today, or tomorrow or some night or some day". He is very patient and we earthlings have taken his patience for weakness. He gives everyone a chance and ultimately everyone has to return to Him.
He challenges everyone that take your finger prints when you die, and when you are resurrected back for accounts then match it on that day. There will be no difference.

I re-iterate, if you are not within His boundaries of living life, and living at will, free will, then you have chosen your way of life, and God has no problems with that.
Except that when you have chosen your way of life which is Godless then why call God, and why would he answer ? He is bringing sustainance from the earth and skies and that should be sufficient for the existance since He has created us.
Whatever science says and does, if He commands the earth not to exude foodgrains and ask the skies not to shower a drop of water then what can you an I do ? And it happens, famines happen, drought happens. Can science grow food there ? Can science bring shower's there naturally ? No.

Finally God is more closer to you than your jugular vein. He has to be experienced in day to day life and not seen physically with your eyes. In the mother's womb you did not see your parents. In the womb of this world you cannot see the creator. That does not mean your parents or God does not exist.
Old 24th January 2011, 20:31   #169
MX6
Senior - BHPian

As far as I know, Allah stands for One God. So if some one translates la ilaha il allah hu, it would just mean what patiencewins stated here.

But then when Allah stands for Monotheism, there unfortunately, is no room for interpretation as Allah is the only god.

Who they call as Allah, would be called by various other names by various people following various religions.

But beyond that I don't feel that god has given any code to live life. Had he, then everyone would be mandatorily following that code. Codes were given by religious heads.

Peace brothers. Love is God. God is Love. Call him by any name you want!
Old 24th January 2011, 20:36   #170
BHPian

I believe in Universe and the immense power in it. I believe in its much superior power to create, destroy and transform. I believe that this particular power is way beyond any religion, rituals or names.
People call this power with different names. People believe that you would be saved when you keep this power happy. Now this is belief, That's why we humans pray, and this keep our mind satisfied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
As far as I know, Allah stands for One God.
"Allah" is just an Arabic translation of the English word "God".

Last edited by mobike008 : 25th January 2011 at 11:12. Reason: Back to back posts
Old 24th January 2011, 20:44   #171
BHPian

After seeing everything happening around me and in this world, yeah i believe in GOD. :-) And he seems to be going through a rough patch and in a destructive mode.
Old 24th January 2011, 20:53   #172
Senior - BHPian

@MX6, I respect your opinion and no one can force anything down anyone's throat, not today and not till the day of Judgement.
It is the habit of God that every time man/societies have gone astray, messengers have come down with the authentic code/discipline book meant to live life. If you live life according to that book at that time God will be please and reward us with peaceful life here and the peaceful life when we see him after this life gets over and the other life starts.
Everytime these code books were damaged,rejected, corrupted by man. Everytime. For political reasons and monetary reasons. The powerful and influentials have twisted and changes the rules of the books (at that time).
If I take names of books then the thread will have a religious touch to it which is discourged by T-Bhp for valid reasons.
If I tell you the depth of these codes have gone to guide humanity you will be amazed. In one code book it is written that how you should visit a friends house or a relative's house. You should knock or cry aloud no more than 3 times in front of his door, and if there is no response then we should leave. This is just an example. If the books have changed and authenticity is debatable then it is not your or my fault. It is the fault of the people who ruined it an rendered us astray.
However, God has come to the rescue, due to the sensitivity of the topic and given the final code book to lead a successful life and promised that He will not make it change/alter till the day of judgement. It has not changed since then.

There is help for people who want to be connected to the creator. One has to persue it to attain a state of balance and equilibrium. Nothing can be achieved by sitting put and blaming. Not even worldly wealth can be attained by sitting let alone the weath to successful life and hear after.
I am no sufi saint but my life ihas become much better since I am coming in terms with the rules and regulations set by my Creator has created. I am not perfect and 'there' as yet, but coming to terms.

Another well known examples. Weddings. Oh my God so much goes in them. We have been asked to do it simply, but we do it so extravangtly that the poor are pressured to maintain that standard. And they take loans for weddings and repay their entire life. According to the code, it has to be documented with credible proof and people. If you want to enjoy and throw a party then it is expected to take out a share of that food and goodies for the poor and then enjoy.
But who does it ? Who ? No one . Or a very few God fearing.
Old 24th January 2011, 20:57   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He has already given a code to lead a life to humans via various messengers.
Sorry to say, while I said that your faith is you business, I do have to say that some of the code given thousands of years back is totally irrelevant in today's social, legal and technological context. Which means it's against society's norms, illegal or plainly absurd.

I was talking to a British christian friend who insisted on not using contraceptives and using natural form of birth control. I asked him where exactly this rule came from and he did not give me a good answer, he said something like his religious gurus but he did not know the origin.

Now I know both in hinduism and islam exploding population is encouraged for the simple reason so the other faith can be outnumbered. And I have a feeling christian gurus may have same idea too. But in that case natural birth control should also be forbidden. Contraceptives did not even exist till 300 years back, how could a divine rule forbid them?

And to think of it, religious codes on procreation do need to change if we look at the current population in the world. And this is just one example.
Old 24th January 2011, 21:09   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Of course I cannot eye neighbour's wife/daughter, beat my wife, be a pain to my neighbours, dis-respect parents etc etc and expect God to do wonders for me everytime I look to the skies and ask for help everytime. Unless there is sincere repentance or if you are tortured/given a bad judgement due to no fault of your's. Then that prayer reaches directly to God unconditionally w/o boundaries of faith, country, race or religion.
In a hospital, I read a book written by Sadhu Vaswani and the book's name was "Why good people suffer" Its a nice book and the crux of the book was God want the creation to become close to him and sometimes inflicts calamities on him so that he turns towards Him.
Looking at this Kalyug and the atrocities caused by powerful individuals and countries the angels ask permission, the skies and the sea asks permission that unleash me on the transgressors so that we can wipe this filth from this earth. The Ever patient God says "If it is your creation then destroy them, if he is my creation, he will make repentance today, or tomorrow or some night or some day". He is very patient and we earthlings have taken his patience for weakness. He gives everyone a chance and ultimately everyone has to return to Him.
He challenges everyone that take your finger prints when you die, and when you are resurrected back for accounts then match it on that day. There will be no difference.

I re-iterate, if you are not within His boundaries of living life, and living at will, free will, then you have chosen your way of life, and God has no problems with that.
Except that when you have chosen your way of life which is Godless then why call God, and why would he answer ? He is bringing sustainance from the earth and skies and that should be sufficient for the existance since He has created us.
Whatever science says and does, if He commands the earth not to exude foodgrains and ask the skies not to shower a drop of water then what can you an I do ? And it happens, famines happen, drought happens. Can science grow food there ? Can science bring shower's there naturally ? No.

Finally God is more closer to you than your jugular vein. He has to be experienced in day to day life and not seen physically with your eyes. In the mother's womb you did not see your parents. In the womb of this world you cannot see the creator. That does not mean your parents or God does not exist.

I am curious to know why god created human beings in the first place and all the animals the flora and fauna. Does he derive pleasure in getting people to thank him as he has created them. Are we part of his melodramatic movie which has been playing/directing for thousands of years and are there any spectators watching along with him and whom he is trying to impress.

I have my reservations on who commands the earth ( why only earth when there are hoards of galaxies and galaxies there at his disposal) . Whether it is a him or she or in whatever form he exists is still debatable.

We have clear evidence from science which states the age of the planet, the organisms that inhabit, the tectonic plates shifting etc etc. To me it implies that things seem to be in harmony after millions of years of slow process i.e the ecosystem which we are part of.

Though your faith and trust in the existence of god seems magnetic to say the least, I feel you have the essence of what it means. Believer or non believer, you seem to playing your part in a positive way.

When it comes to a matter of faith and belief system I know how it works. It is very much psychological.
Old 24th January 2011, 21:17   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

I believe in God. It is immaterial which God, because I did not make a choice - just followed my parent's belief. If I had been born into a family following another religion, I would be worshipping that God.

Maybe it is all bunkum and one day even if it turns out that there is actually no God, I reckon there is nothing much to lose, as long as my belief has not hurt another human.

My theory is simple - I believe in something, but I see no need to convince anyone to follow the same. Everyone is free to follow whatever he deems fit, as long as they don't insist it is the best and that others should follow suit.

What I can't stand is Godmen, and it surprises me that inspite of a Godman being exposed every other day, there still are so many others making a thriving business out of God. And the followers are not illiterate peasants, but educated folks too. I see many in my organisation too - after Nithyananda got exposed, they have already moved on to new gurus.

@vivek, I have read a fair bit of the Bible and I dont remember reading anything about contraceptives being taboo. Atleast not in the New Testament. Must be the big idea of some godman.
Old 24th January 2011, 21:19   #176
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Of course I cannot eye neighbour's wife/daughter, beat my wife, be a pain to my neighbours, dis-respect parents etc etc and expect God to do wonders for me everytime I look to the skies and ask for help everytime.
Why?

Should God listen to the prayer of a sinner(for lack of another word ) is best left to God.
Old 24th January 2011, 21:24   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post

@vivek, I have read a fair bit of the Bible and I dont remember reading anything about contraceptives being taboo. Atleast not in the New Testament. Must be the big idea of some godman.
Possible.

Christian views on contraception - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 24th January 2011, 22:48   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Many posts from repected members here have implied that God is not doing anything to stop nonsence going on in this world. He has already given a code to lead a life to humans via various messengers. Every is expected to adhear to it to remove impurities corruption vices etc. from individuals and societies. That code, holy books, have been corrupted beyond repair and people have been decieved and mislead to the point that they have lost any spirituality or connection with God so much so that they question His very existance.

If God appears in front of us, and says "I am God, worship me, live as per my rules on my earth" then where is the faith ?

BTW who gave that stature to the so called 'books' or 'messengers' that this is the 'Ultimate' verdict or 'way of life' that GOD wants us to live ? And since according to you he is so Almighty he can very well stop all the nonsense that is going on this earth right ? I mean if he is the creator, he should know how to repair their evils too ? If Maruti made the Swift, Maruti knows how to deal with the problems in the Swift right ? If mere humans can do that, Why can't GOD ?

A harry potter book might be found thousands of years later and it might be assumed that this is the message of GOD and Harry Potter the messenger then ?

God does not appear before us and hence there is no faith. Scientists have spend blood and sweat to prove their theories and here we are in 21st century putting our faith on imaginary entities. IMO.

IF he can control the skies, the rain and the food grains or make the earth stop revolving, he can very well stop the humans from killing each other, genocide, wars, famines, diseases or is it just selective supernatural powers ?

Animals are killed for mere rituals is one more thing which is find utterly disgusting. Does GOD really want you to kill an animal to give you happiness ? Does this ritual present in many religions not PRICK anyone of you ? Is hurting some animal to gain the love of GOD really HUMANITY ?
When man's can't be human in the first place, what is the point of all that faith ? I was in my mothers womb because of the human tendency of pro creation. I did not know about my parents then because my memory stick was empty. Later when I saw them and understood after growing up a bit that they are my parents. 24 years since my birth, GOD has still not shown himself yet. What do you want me to do?
Old 24th January 2011, 23:56   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I do have to say that some of the code given thousands of years back is totally irrelevant in today's social, legal and technological context. Which means it's against society's norms, illegal or plainly absurd.

I was talking to a British christian friend who insisted on not using contraceptives and using natural form of birth control. ...
Vivek, you are talking about contraception ? Forget that most parts of all code books are irrelevant now. Why? Because our societies have been shaped according to man made laws. They have been shaped according to what a few learned individuals though would be best for the masses.
Since these rules/constitutions are in place for generations and generations, the rule books from God hold no good in our societies. Hence we have so many problems. There are people and countries that are dedicated to implement God's rules to run their part of the land, but they are discouraged, killed and called terrorists as they are rejecting the code provided by a handful people which is failing miserably in most places in the world. People in power will and are enforcing man made rules on people. Some places people are accepting it like 'Nandi Bails' (bullocks) and others are revolting against some/all policies of thier respective governments. Not to mention there are people dedicated to ridicule and make fun of God's code books, alas little do they realise that man is made with a thing called curiosity which makes him dig for knowledge right from birth.

But, about contraception, from what you are advocating that means God has a big question mark saying "Oh dear Oh dear! These people are procreating and I do not have resources to provide them with" ?

He can sustain all life forms in water air and land. It is not His fault that only cities are crowded and choked to capacity to make you and me feel that people are more than required. There are people in villages that are more than happy and satified even when they do not have electricity for hours and hours together.
You are in the US. You might have heard about Amish Country or Amish Counties. I have had the previledge to visit them but from afar. They are cut out if not completely from the modern world and yet they are self sufficient and happy w/o man rules to govern them.

We were much happy 20 years back than God less world of today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
I am curious to know why god created human beings in the first place and all the animals the flora and fauna. Does he derive pleasure in getting people to thank him as he has created them. Are we part of his melodramatic movie which has been playing/directing for thousands of years and are there any spectators watching along with him and whom he is trying to impress.
God has created this world and everything else by just the mention of it. But man, He has created with his own hands. He loves man more than the love of 70 mothers to a child. And 70 is just a number for us to understand. When we came out to this world crying, He gave us parents/guardians to take care of and one source of food stopped he had 2 sources of food for us. When we came to our sense we challenged His existance.
He created us out of love and asked all the angels to prostrate before His creation even though we are made up of water/mud/single drop etc etc and the angels are made of Fire. He made us and proclaimed us to be His best of creations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I believe in God. It is immaterial which God, because I did not make a choice - just followed my parent's belief. If I had been born into a family following another religion, I would be worshipping that God.

Maybe it is all bunkum and one day even if it turns out that there is actually no God, I reckon there is nothing much to lose, as long as my belief has not hurt another human.

My theory is simple - I believe in something, but I see no need to convince anyone to follow the same. Everyone is free to follow whatever he deems fit, as long as they don't insist it is the best and that others should follow suit.
All of know this and it is a rhetoric when we say somethings like all religions preach peace and the same people kill one and another on the name of religion or World peace. Actually very few people know the origin of religion and its transitions. Once people know about how religions came into existence in chronological order of prophets and authentic books, people's prospective will change. But at this moment we only have rhetorics that make us look good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Why?

Should God listen to the prayer of a sinner(for lack of another word ) is best left to God.
Let me put it this way. God hears all. He listens not to all. He hears the heart beat of a black ant on a black rock in a thick forest on a thick black night. And He knows best whom to judge and not. What I said was a very broad and general and it is nevertheless true. I want to become President of this and that. My prayer is legitimate w/o harming anyone ? Will it be accepted ? It depends on so so many parameters. Not all prayers can be answered in this world. But in the other world all the prayers/duas will be bought in front of every individual and God will show the reason He could not fulfill that prayer and He will give a fitting replacement there and the individual will wish that none of his prayers were answered in this world.

A parent has 2 children. 1 is naughty. But the parents will still love both and will make sure the naughty one is kept in check so that he doesn't harm himself. This can be done by anyway. God keeps us in check in a similar way. Illness, hardships, not acceptance of prayers etc etc.

Back to work. Later.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 25th January 2011 at 00:04.
Old 25th January 2011, 00:15   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vivek, you are talking about contraception ? Forget that most parts of all code books are irrelevant now. Why? Because our societies have been shaped according to man made laws. They have been shaped according to what a few learned individuals though would be best for the masses.
Since these rules/constitutions are in place for generations and generations, the rule books from God hold no good in our societies. Hence we have so many problems. There are people and countries that are dedicated to implement God's rules to run their part of the land, but they are discouraged, killed and called terrorists as they are rejecting the code provided by a handful people which is failing miserably in most places in the world. People in power will and are enforcing man made rules on people. Some places people are accepting it like 'Nandi Bails' (bullocks) and others are revolting against some/all policies of thier respective governments. Not to mention there are people dedicated to ridicule and make fun of God's code books, alas little do they realise that man is made with a thing called curiosity which makes him dig for knowledge right from birth.

But, about contraception, from what you are advocating that means God has a big question mark saying "Oh dear Oh dear! These people are procreating and I do not have resources to provide them with" ?

He can sustain all life forms in water air and land. It is not His fault that only cities are crowded and choked to capacity to make you and me feel that people are more than required. There are people in villages that are more than happy and satified even when they do not have electricity for hours and hours together.
You are in the US. You might have heard about Amish Country or Amish Counties. I have had the previledge to visit them but from afar. They are cut out if not completely from the modern world and yet they are self sufficient and happy w/o man rules to govern them.

We were much happy 20 years back than God less world of today.
Yes, I have been to amish country. But let me confirm what I understood from your writing.

1. Of late we have been deviating from the codes of god and that's not good. And you support the governments enforcing the rule of god. Even if it means killing another human, for reason as simple as leaving a religion.
2. Amish are better people and so are others who have not embraced the advanced lifestyle. In fact it would be better if all of us went back to amish level of lifesyle and technology.
3. contraception is not needed. God will always have place and food for people no matter how many there are.
Closed Thread