Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2014, 19:34   #496
BHPian
 
bj96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 771
Thanked: 121 Times
Default Re: The "School Admissions" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
I have now moved to Pune from Bangalore. My son will be finishing his 5th Std now, and I will be on the hunt for a good school in Pune...
Which area in Pune? ICSE/CBSE/IGSE/State Board..etc? If you are in eastern part (Kharadi/Hadapsar/Mundhwa/Kalyani Nagar etc) I can recommend
The Orbis School (CBSE)". They are relatively new (~5 years) and getting admission should not be a hassle.

-BJ
bj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2014, 11:42   #497
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Was PB, DL, HR , KA and Now GJ-1
Posts: 247
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: The "School Admissions" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Which area in Pune? ICSE/CBSE/IGSE/State Board..etc? If you are in eastern part (Kharadi/Hadapsar/Mundhwa/Kalyani Nagar etc) I can recommend
The Orbis School (CBSE)". They are relatively new (~5 years) and getting admission should not be a hassle.

-BJ
I am looking for good schools as well in and around Magarpatta for my son who would in 1st standard from next academic session.

Just curious ,Do you have first hand experience with Orbis ?

Thanks
pankaj_sachdeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2014, 22:34   #498
BHPian
 
bj96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 771
Thanked: 121 Times
Default Re: The "School Admissions" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankaj_sachdeva View Post
Just curious ,Do you have first hand experience with Orbis ?
...
My daughter goes here for last 4.5 years (she is in 5th standard).

Some pros-
1) very close to my house (~1.5 kms)
2) New facilities, cleanliness etc.
3) Audio-visual aid in teaching
4) IT- enabled (fees, communication, leave application etc. can be done online)
5) Decent teaching staff
6) Co-curricular activities
7) Full cheque payment (no under the table demands)
8) School transport (managed by school)
9) Co-curricular activities

Cons-
1) Inexperienced staff
2) They have grown too fast (started with about 100 students 5 years ago, they would be about 1000+ now, and run two shifts for some junior classes). Result- management is loosing some personal touch now and becoming less accessible than before
3) Lot of homework
4) Churn in teaching staff
5) Access road to school (last ~0.5kms)

Hth,
-BJ

[EDIT] School website: http://www.theorbisschool.com/

Last edited by bj96 : 20th September 2014 at 22:35.
bj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2014, 09:38   #499
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Was PB, DL, HR , KA and Now GJ-1
Posts: 247
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: The "School Admissions" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
My daughter goes here for last 4.5 years (she is in 5th standard).....
Thanks a lot for the detailed and honest feedback for the school. Overall the Pros outweigh the cons and I have added this to list of the short-listed schools for the next academic session.

OT: We both are neighbours in this case. I live and work in Magarpatta.

Thank you !!
pankaj_sachdeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2014, 11:53   #500
Senior - BHPian
 
k_ajay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,156
Thanked: 448 Times
Question Re: The "School Admissions" Thread

Hello! This query is for Bangalore. I'm looking for a good school to admit my daughter to LKG. I live in East Blr (right between Bellandur lake and HAL old Airport) and have so far, shortlisted New Horizon Public School (CBSE), Global Indian International School (CBSE) and Chrysalis High, Varthur branch (ICSE curricula). Chrysalis High is far off but seemed like a good school when I spoke with its promoter and 2 principals yesterday in a school expo (where all other school's representatives were Pro and marketing team). GIIS team also seemed sensible and school seemed nice, though I have no much information about them.

More than NHPS, I'm keen to get feedback on both ICSE syllabus AND the schools 'Chrysalis High' varthur located & Global Indian International School.. Most comments and feedback I read about NHPS is that they're just money minded, look to extort money; riding on their location and fame in Blr East. One kid I know from that school since years is good in Cricket, but doesn't exactly come across as a well rounded, intelligent boy. Just an above average student, the regular fare.

Appreciate your inputs and feedback.

Last edited by k_ajay : 22nd September 2014 at 12:02.
k_ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2014, 00:28   #501
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 21
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: The "School Admissions" Thread

Any feedback on PSBB on Bannerghatta Road , Bangalore ? It seems to be a pretty good option with very good pedigree.
esoteric_su is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2014, 10:27   #502
Oxy
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 157
Thanked: 147 Times
Default Re: The "School Admissions" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Hello! This query is for Bangalore. I'm looking for a good school to admit my daughter to LKG. I live in East Blr (right between Bellandur lake and HAL old Airport) and have so far, shortlisted New Horizon Public School (CBSE), Global Indian International School (CBSE) and Chrysalis High, Varthur branch (ICSE curricula). Chrysalis High is far off but seemed like a good school when I spoke with its promoter and 2 principals yesterday in a school expo (where all other school's representatives were Pro and marketing team). GIIS team also seemed sensible and school seemed nice, though I have no much information about them.

More than NHPS, I'm keen to get feedback on both ICSE syllabus AND the schools 'Chrysalis High' varthur located & Global Indian International School.. Most comments and feedback I read about NHPS is that they're just money minded, look to extort money; riding on their location and fame in Blr East. One kid I know from that school since years is good in Cricket, but doesn't exactly come across as a well rounded, intelligent boy. Just an above average student, the regular fare.

Appreciate your inputs and feedback.
I think you should apply in the Air Force school and try your luck since it seems to be close to where you stay. It's reserved for the kids of people in the IAF, but they do release vacant seats for civilians. It's just ahead of Murugeshpalya on Wind Tunnel Road, near Pizza hut.

It's super cheap, and being a military school, you can expect it to be very disciplined in all aspects.
Oxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2014, 12:34   #503
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,778
Thanked: 375 Times
Default Re: The "School Admissions" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankaj_sachdeva View Post
I am looking for good schools as well in and around Magarpatta for my son who would in 1st standard from next academic session.

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
4) Churn in teaching staff
This thread was pre-dominantly discussing about Bangalore schools.
Good to see someone in Pune posting.

I am in the same boat - my son will need a big school from June and I need to make another attempt this year to secure admission in Std. I.

The biggest reason why we avoided Orbis was the churn of teachers. So, basically they hire whoever is available, else they cannot keep up with the syllabus. So, in the end, we had to skip this.

Victorious Educare in Kharadi charges about 1.6 lacs (as per my colleague) and has got "worth the money" as review from everywhere.
Lexicon International in Kalyani Nagar is not so expensive, but there is lot of homework and very less parent - teacher interaction.

This holds good for all traditional schools, I think.

Beyond that, St. Arnold in Wadgaon Sheri has more demand than it can accommodate, so that is a no-go as well.

Overall, not many good options in Eastern Pune for CBSE (and IB is expensive.)
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2014, 12:39   #504
Senior - BHPian
 
dass's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,037
Thanked: 427 Times
Default Re: The "School Admissions" Thread

Are there anyone here with first hand experience about Euro school in Whitefield? I am looking for admissions for my son in LKG next year and was thinking of Euro or Ekya. Will visit them soon, but wanted to get some inputs as well before I visit them.
dass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2014, 15:14   #505
Senior - BHPian
 
dass's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,037
Thanked: 427 Times
Default Re: The "School Admissions" Thread

Feedback about Vagdevi villas school, Marathalli is also highly appreciated.

Mods - 30 mins duration expired, I cannot edit my earlier post. Please merge if deemed fit.
dass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2014, 18:57   #506
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 4,291 Times
Default Re: The "School Admissions" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Are there anyone here with first hand experience about Euro school in Whitefield? I am looking for admissions for my son in LKG next year and was thinking of Euro or Ekya. Will visit them soon, but wanted to get some inputs as well before I visit them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Feedback about Vagdevi villas school, Marathalli is also highly appreciated.
Disclaimer - not first hand experience, just what I've heard from my relatives/friends whose children were at these schools.
Euro, Whitefield - my cousin moved both children from Ryan to Euro last year and they're very happy with the decision.

Vagdevi - my friend wasn't happy so moved his child out to Ryan and then Chrysalis High this year and is very happy now.

Hope this helps, do let me know if you need more information, can give you the references of these folks on PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
More than NHPS, I'm keen to get feedback on both ICSE syllabus AND the schools 'Chrysalis High' varthur located & Global Indian International School.. Most comments and feedback I read about NHPS is that they're just money minded, look to extort money; riding on their location and fame in Blr East. One kid I know from that school since years is good in Cricket, but doesn't exactly come across as a well rounded, intelligent boy. Just an above average student, the regular fare.

Appreciate your inputs and feedback.
NHPS - if you mean New Horizon, answer is NO, don't put your child there!
Chrysalis is good from what my friend tells me who put his child there earlier this year (moved from Vagdevi to Ryan to Chrysalis so he knows a lot about these schools!)

Last edited by NPV : 16th October 2014 at 19:02.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 11:06   #507
Senior - BHPian
 
k_ajay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,156
Thanked: 448 Times
Thumbs up Re: The "School Admissions" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Vagdevi - my friend wasn't happy so moved his child out to Ryan and then Chrysalis High this year and is very happy now.

Hope this helps ..

NHPS - if you mean New Horizon, answer is NO, don't put your child there!
Chrysalis is good from what my friend tells me who put his child there earlier this year (moved from Vagdevi to Ryan to Chrysalis so he knows a lot about these schools!)
Hi NPV,

Your feedback helps a lot, thanks. I already decided not to put my child in a school where only money is key (what a shameless choice). Chrysalis is what I'm keen on too, though it is far. I did visit Gopalan National School and I've heard their academics is good, but sporting facilities seem to be on short supply (especially ones that are normally opted by girls). Their fees are fair. Chrysalis is a bit more, but still affordable (for me). However, I still feel more positive vibes from Chrysalis.

I'll PM you for further feedback (i need to decide by Wednesday this week). Thanks again.
k_ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 00:34   #508
BHPian
 
Jaguar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 555
Thanked: 141 Times
Default Re: The "School Admissions" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I think you should apply in the Air Force school and try your luck since it seems to be close to where you stay. It's reserved for the kids of people in the IAF, but they do release vacant seats for civilians. It's just ahead of Murugeshpalya on Wind Tunnel Road, near Pizza hut.

It's super cheap, and being a military school, you can expect it to be very disciplined in all aspects.
If you are a civilian, I would advice you to look for a different school.

I deliberated a lot before posting this. The opinion below is personal and I do not want to start a debate over this.

I did all my schooling in Kendriya Vidyalaya and have studied in schools which were dominated by military kids and those dominated by civilian kids. The thing I have observed is that military kids and civilian kids do not generally get along well and there are always different groups within. And all the talk about discipline holds good only for the military personnel and does not translate to their kids
Jaguar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 09:34   #509
Oxy
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 157
Thanked: 147 Times
Default Re: The "School Admissions" Thread

Bangalore folks:

I stay in Kadugodi, so am looking for a school around Whitefield to enroll my son into. He will be 3 coming April.

Called up Deens Academy yesterday and to my shock, they told me they are not accepting anymore applications for admissions to Nursery for their school at ECC Road. This is for the 2015-2016 academic year. The admission process started on October 1 and it's already full now for Nursery.

Have got the admission form from Gopalan National School at Hoodi. It looks like a good school but I felt it's very academics oriented. They have a tiny football ground and a badminton court and that's about it as far as extra curriculars are concerned.

Need to visit the Whitefield Global School and DPS Whitefield this weekend. I want to stay away from Vibgyor after the last year's incident.

How good is Chrysalis High? And there is a Bethany's High somewhere in Sarjapur but the distance is putting me off.

Any more recommendations?

Last edited by Oxy : 21st October 2014 at 09:35.
Oxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 12:27   #510
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madras,Modena
Posts: 1,044
Thanked: 663 Times
Default Re: The "School Admissions" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
The reason why schools insist on CBSE IX is because the CBSE X syllabus is a continuation of the IX curriculum now a days unlike the earlier times when they were exclusive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Has anyone some past experience on this , almost all schools have refused admissions citing some new rules which allows admission only if Grade 9 is done with CBSE board only , tried with ICSE as well but same situation ..
Sorry for the late response. This is not a new rule, I had a classmate who came from Singapore finishing Class 9, and did Class 9 again with us (he was 2 years elder than us). This is 2 decades back in CBSE.

My colleague who put his daughter in a State Board school returning from US had similar experiences less than 5 years back.
---
On a related note, has anyone returned from non-English speaking countries and joined back in school in India?

Last edited by narayans80 : 21st October 2014 at 12:42.
narayans80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
The Official Old School R & B / Hip-Hop Thread GordonGekko Shifting gears 6 22nd June 2013 18:21
HI from a "School boy" :-P n conti lover DicKy Introduce yourself 2 3rd January 2010 12:39
6 year old misses bus, drives ford taurus to school,crashes it,walks on to school ! sidindica Shifting gears 21 12th January 2009 22:46
nursery admissions new delhi 2009-10 whatcanthisbe Shifting gears 0 15th November 2008 01:10


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:42.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks