Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 22nd February 2012, 16:40   #121
BHPian

Unhappy Money going missing from my account

Mods, I hope this is the right place to post as I could not find a similar thread.

Hi All,

A fortnight ago, when I went to withdraw money and check my balance from the ATM, I was shocked to see 10 thousand rupees less in my account. I had not withdrawn or swiped my card for the same! I tried calling the customer care but in vain as all the lines were busy.

It was already late at night so I went home and decided to follow up the next morning.

After a rather restless and sleepless night, I tried to call the customer care the next morning, but could not still get through the line! Feverishly I went to the ATM, just to check if any miracle had happened. I took a mini statement and vola, to my amazement, the 10k was back in my account!

My mini statement showed:

Debit:
- 1000 rs (Amount I had withdrawn before)
- 500 rs (Amount I had withdrawn before)
- 2000 rs (Amount I had withdrawn before)

+ Bulk Amount 10000 rs (The amount that was missing the previous night!)

Anyway, I was a happy man so I did not bother following up with the bank since the cash was back anyway.

Here begins my nightmare. Last week the very same thing happened, and this time it was 20K! I managed to get through the customer care this time, and was told that two withdrawals of 10k each were made the previous day. When I denied the same, they told me to lodge a complaint with them and told me the problem would be sorted out within 7 working days. I was sent an SMS of the complaint number for my reference.

Seven days passed and I called the bank customer care this morning and was told that my complaint has been 'Successfully Closed'. When I told the rep that I had not received the money that had just VANISHED from my account, he simply replied saying "Sir, your complaint status shows closed, which means that you have successfully made the withdrawals (20K)."

I lost my temper and asked the guy what's the next step since I HAD NOT withdrawn the amount. He just told me to call my bank branch and speak to them, and then hung up!

Now I require your advice on how to proceed further in this matter. 20K is no joke for me. Please help guys

Thanks in advance.
aadithsince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2012, 16:45   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Money going missing from my account

@Adith,

1. which bank is this ?
2. What is the mode of withdrawal ?
3. Do you have internet access ? Try & stop all extra access options.
4. Change your ATM PIN immediately
5. do you have sms alerts configured for your account ? Any credit/ debit above 4k or 5k will then be notified to your mobile via sms.
6. Meet the branch manager & tell him you are going to complain to the banking ombudsman (please check for details on the web).
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2012, 16:47   #123
Senior - BHPian

Please mention which bank you are talking about . Also mention the branch . Go to the branch directly and speak to the manager only and explain what happened before also .
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2012, 16:59   #124
Senior - BHPian

In addition to what condor said, please also ask an explanation (in writing) of that mysterious 10k withdrawal and credit to your account. That should also throw some light on what is really happening.
In all probability, it looks like the banks erroneous entries, coz a person stealing from your account will not be so wise as to deposit some amount back to your account. (10k deposited back into your account as you mentioned)

And if its the banks fault, they will go to any extent to cover it up, more so if its a private bank. Part of it you have already experienced I.e. complaint closed without getting in touch with you.

Putting the entire thing in writing and sending it to them will compel them to reply to you in writing, instead of absurdly closing the complaint without explanation.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 22nd February 2012 at 17:04.
vinit.merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2012, 17:02   #125
BANNED

Hi,
You can mail them (customer service) and mark a copy to ombudsman.
I have got many such banking issues resolved same fashion.

cheers
PRADEEP KUMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2012, 17:11   #126
Senior - BHPian

Which bank? Are you using any mobile banking options? Are you using net banking?
govigov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2012, 17:20   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadithsince1980 View Post
"Sir, your complaint status shows closed, which means that you have successfully made the withdrawals (20K)."

I lost my temper and asked the guy what's the next step since I HAD NOT withdrawn the amount. He just told me to call my bank branch and speak to them, and then hung up!
Thanks in advance.
Please tell me which bank this is. I am one hundred percent going to close my account with them. Since it is a bank policy to close complaints without contacting the customer I would rather close my account with them what ever be the explanation given to you.
drpullockaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2012, 17:46   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Adith,

1. which bank is this ?
2. What is the mode of withdrawal ?
3. Do you have internet access ? Try & stop all extra access options.
4. Change your ATM PIN immediately
5. do you have sms alerts configured for your account ? Any credit/ debit above 4k or 5k will then be notified to your mobile via sms.
6. Meet the branch manager & tell him you are going to complain to the banking ombudsman (please check for details on the web).
Thanks for the reply, my answers to your queries are:

1. The bank in question is SBI (State Bank of India)
2. The mode of withdrawal mentioned was ATM (Non SBI ATM)
3. Sorry I am not too tech savvy so I have not used net banking yet. Will have to figure out my options.
4. Will do so the moment I leave office today. Thanks for the advice
5. This is one matter I forgot to mention in my post. Until about a month ago, I was receiving regular updates on my mobile whenever I made a transaction. But in the last month I have not got any SMS updates. I mentioned the same to the SBI rep and he simply said it's a technical issue which will be sorted out soon.
6. The problem is that my bank account is an Ooty account while I live in Bangalore. Would it make sense meeting any SBI manager in Bangalore? Would they take the responsibility?

@black: Thanks, your query is answered above.

@pradeep and vinit: Thanks, I'll call my Ooty branch Manager first thing tomorrow morning and then figure out if I need to put down a complaint in writing.
Old 22nd February 2012, 18:40   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The bank in question is SBI (State Bank of India)he mode of withdrawal mentioned was ATM (Non SBI ATM)
Let me tell you from my experience.
Once I withdrew from SBI ATM (I have Bank of India ATM card) I got the transaction slip but not cash. Amount involved was 10000/-. I went to my bank (BoI) next day, spoke to the branch manager, he told me that he also faced that problem once and India is not ready for ATMs blah blah blah. He gave me one form to fill nad told me that I'll get back my money in a month's time and I got it back after a month.
Similarly, some amount was 'credited' ie deposited wrongly in my friend's account with Canara bank and we both were very happy and thought we'll party but next day the amount was reversed. We didn't go to the manager for 'wrong debit' as we didn't go for wrong credit too.
Though my incidents are not exactly similar to yours but I feel this is some software problem, etc. which would correct itself or after the interference by the bank.
One more thing to be checked that, did you hand over your card at some restaurant, petrol pump or any other place where it is likely to be cloned.
carwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2012, 20:32   #130
BHPian

Default Re: Fraud Transfer of Money from my Salary Account of PNB: Fought case & won

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Let me tell you from my experience.
Once I withdrew from SBI ATM (I have Bank of India ATM card) I got the transaction slip but not cash. Amount involved was 10000/-. I went to my bank (BoI) next day, spoke to the branch manager, he told me that he also faced that problem once and India is not ready for ATMs blah blah blah. He gave me one form to fill nad told me that I'll get back my money in a month's time and I got it back after a month.
Some thing similiar happened with my dad;s salary Account in Axis bank. He withdrew money from PNB ATM . Although transaction went fine but money was not disbursed . Needless to say, No amount of complaints in Bank;s Ombudsman and axis bank yielded anything , Mainly because PNB refused to even look into matter, where as Axis Bank guys tried everything. Needless to say , dad lost 10 K of his hard earned Money . He has stopped using other bank;s ATM now and I have personally stopped using net banking of PNB.
.sushilkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2012, 21:09   #131
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Fraud Transfer of Money from my Salary Account of PNB: Fought case & won

If you withdrew cash from an ATM, and cash did not come out, but the amount is shown as withdrawn in the account, please note the ATM identification number (pasted on most machines), or atlease the location (building, road, etc). ALso, preserve the transaction slip.

Next, contact the specific branch where you have your account. ATMs do keep track of incidents where cash is deducted from the account, but not actually disbursed. Also, all ATMS are under CCTV surveliance. So, they actually can find if you got the cash. (means think twice before lodgning such complaints).

Yes, such issues will take time to resolve - especially if multiple branches / locations are involved. 2 weeks is reasonable for multi bank, multi location problems.

@aadit - please try to contact your branch direct and talk to the manager or the accountant. The accoutnant is an officer the managerial cadre, and is in direct charge of things.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2012, 21:43   #132
BHPian

^^ I understand and exactly the same reasoning was given by me, to which even axis official agreed ( camera and transaction slip with ATM ID )but problem was with PNB, from whose ATM , the transaction happened. All the slips and ATM id etc were told to PNB but they just kept repeating like a Broken record " money was withdrawn" . IMO , they never looked into that camera recording. Axis bank could not do anything other than following up with PNB IMO.

IMO what has Happened with aadithsince1980 is that some body has created a duplicate of his card, while he may have swapped at merchant shop. Such cases has been reported in media as well and recently police has busted a gang as well.
.sushilkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2012, 14:02   #133
BHPian

Quote:
IMO what has Happened with aadithsince1980 is that some body has created a duplicate of his card, while he may have swapped at merchant shop. Such cases has been reported in media as well and recently police has busted a gang as well.
Guys, here is an update:
I called the Ooty branch this morning but they said that I have to be physically present at the branch and they will not sort out the issue over the phone.

Since this was practically impossible, I just hung up and decided to go meet any SBI manager here in Bangalore.

I was tied up with work so my better half visited the Kamanahalli SBI branch earlier this afternoon (Ours is a joint account).

After my wife told the manager the issue, he made a couple of calls and arrived at a conclusion:

Apparently out ATM card had been used/swiped at some Swarna Hospital. He said that sometimes, when you swipe your card at some place and someone else swipes his/her card immediately after you, your card number gets copied on that person's card, thus enabling him/her to swipe their card (which has our number), leading to the amount being deducted from our account. My wife didn't understand how this could happen as the manager was very vague in his reply Anyway she demanded a solution.

Solution:

-The manager said that he would register a complaint from his side and we would get back the money in two days time (I pray that this happens)

-He told us to use only SBI ATM's here after to avoid any other mishap and so that they can keep a proper record of all transactions.

-He told us to surrender our card to the Ooty SBI, stating the issues with the card and apply for a new one (No clue how this is going to help. And sorry, my missus didn't bother about asking the manager about the same).

Anyway I'am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that there is good news in the next two days!

Will update you guys on the same.

Thanks!

Last edited by Technocrat : 13th March 2012 at 23:42. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 23rd February 2012, 16:34   #134
BHPian

Quote:
He said that sometimes, when you swipe your card at some place and someone else swipes his/her card immediately after you, your card number gets copied on that person's card, thus enabling him/her to swipe their card (which has our number), leading to the amount being deducted from our account. My wife didn't understand how this could happen as the manager was very vague in his reply. Anyway she demanded a solution.
I don't think that a card swiping machine is capable of copying card details on another card. This is just rubbish. Either that manager is completely ignorant or he is acting smart.

And how was the transaction authenticated without entering you PIN or signature on the charge slip ?

This is purely a mistake from the bank's side.

Have they assured you about the refund ? If not, just use the magic word (banking ombudsman) in front of the bank manager. Such kind of misappropriation of funds would be sufficient to get him transferred / suspended.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2012, 16:50   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I don't think that a card swiping machine is capable of copying card details on another card. This is just rubbish. Either that manager is completely ignorant or he is acting smart.

And how was the transaction authenticated without entering you PIN or signature on the charge slip ?

This is purely a mistake from the bank's side.

Have they assured you about the refund ? If not, just use the magic word (banking ombudsman) in front of the bank manager. Such kind of misappropriation of funds would be sufficient to get him transferred / suspended.

Rohan

Even I did not believe a word the manager said. Anyway he has promised that the money will be back in two days. I'll just keep my fingers crossed and wait. If it does not happen I'll decide on what to do next.

Besides, I work in the advertising industry and have a lot of contacts with media guys to take this matter to the media in case the situation calls for it (Which I hope does not arise).