Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 7th January 2010, 13:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Calling all call center employees for suggestions

I am in the process of setting up a call center, this is email based. I am from a voice based background.

The call center basically involves in customer emailing us their issues and we sending it to respective teams for resolution, followed by logging a ticket and sending an acknowledgement to the customer.

The issues are categorised as per severity and currently all we track if the over all issue is resolved under the service level.

Our group will only responsible for response times but individual accountability is missing.

I was thinking of creating some metrices to counteract this, So i thought its would be better to look no further than our own great team.

Guys i need sugestions, please feel free to add.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 7th January 2010 at 13:28.
pramodkumar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 14:15   #2
BHPian

Hello Pramod,

There are a few details required before any suggestions can be made, kindly reply to the following:
  1. What kind of process are we talking about? If not detailed then at least an overview.
  2. Number of FTE's (full time employees).
  3. How many teams/sub-processes are we talking about.
  4. Does this process involve only forwarding the queries to different sections and your teams involvement restricted to sending a acknowledgement only.
  5. Number of emails expected in a day/24 hour period.
  6. Turnaround time/SLA (service level agreement).
Regards
Cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 14:51   #3
BHPian

Is there a follow-up mechanism involved? What I mean is, if an agent forwards a query to some other team, does he follow-up with the team if the response is delayed or if that particular mail is nearing the turn around time?
unni.ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 14:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

If this is email based, bugzilla - a free software tool to track issues (bugs) is an excellent choice.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 14:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

First of all thanks for the reply guys,

Cyborg my replies in bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Hello Pramod,

There are a few details required before any suggestions can be made, kindly reply to the following:
  1. What kind of process are we talking about? If not detailed then at least an overview. Its more or less acknowleding the customer mails with a ticket number and passing it to the right dept.
  2. Number of FTE's (full time employees).9 as of now
  3. How many teams/sub-processes are we talking about.22 sub teams where we forward customer issues to
  4. Does this process involve only forwarding the queries to different sections and your teams involvement restricted to sending a acknowledgement only. More or less yes
  5. Number of emails expected in a day/24 hour period. in the tune of 50/Day
  6. Turnaround time/SLA (service level agreement). Depends on the customer but our SLA is 30 minutes sesponse time
Regards
Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
Is there a follow-up mechanism involved? What I mean is, if an agent forwards a query to some other team, does he follow-up with the team if the response is delayed or if that particular mail is nearing the turn around time?
We do not have any tools to do so, its only excel sheets which areused as of now. We give a 30 minute update to the customer for a high sevirity issue. Any tools you know for time keeping? Right now we are using some bug tracking tools like bugzilla and mantis to track the SLA and logging issues, these does not provide us any alerts so tracking issue SLA realtime is extreamly manual.

Pramod
Old 7th January 2010, 15:08   #6
BHPian

All the best Pramod for your new venture.

I think you should track how many different severity each employee solved.

For example if there are 2 groups A and B.
Lets say under A group 2 employees A1,A2 and B1,B2 under group B.

When you view reoptrt it should show Group A solved lets say 10 defects and B 15 defects in a week and severity split-up. When you click on group A it'll show A1 solved this much and A2 this such with all details like severity, Resolution time etc.
akas_chauhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 15:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
All the best Pramod for your new venture.

I think you should track how many different severity each employee solved.

For example if there are 2 groups A and B.
Lets say under A group 2 employees A1,A2 and B1,B2 under group B.

When you view reoptrt it should show Group A solved lets say 10 defects and B 15 defects in a week and severity split-up. When you click on group A it'll show A1 solved this much and A2 this such with all details like severity, Resolution time etc.
Thanks, its a good idea to track it this way if we have level 2 support, our level one support only deals with Response times, 1 minutes response time is as good a 29 minutes response time, the SLA here is 30 minutes.

Thinkgs like FCR and AHT cannot work here as both are related to call centers which have voice support

Pramod
Old 7th January 2010, 15:45   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Thinkgs like FCR and AHT cannot work here as both are related to call centers which have voice support
Pramod
AHT plays a role in your case as well. And a good one at that. If you are not tracking your AHT, please start. If and when volumes go up, it'll help you manage your staffing. 9 agents for forwarding ~50 mails a day sounds over-staffed. I'm sure there are calculations behind your staffing (severity etc comes into play here), but just wanted to drive a point on AHT tracking.

Quote:
First of all thanks for the reply guys,

We do not have any tools to do so, its only excel sheets which areused as of now. We give a 30 minute update to the customer for a high sevirity issue. Any tools you know for time keeping? Right now we are using some bug tracking tools like bugzilla and mantis to track the SLA and logging issues, these does not provide us any alerts so tracking issue SLA realtime is extreamly manual.
Pramod
An Excel expert can help you write the logic for alerts. I'm not sure how the format of your incoming mail is, but if you do copy-paste or import to Excel, something can be done based on the time stamp.
Old 7th January 2010, 15:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
AHT plays a role in your case as well. And a good one at that. If you are not tracking your AHT, please start. If and when volumes go up, it'll help you manage your staffing. 9 agents for forwarding ~50 mails a day sounds over-staffed. I'm sure there are calculations behind your staffing (severity etc comes into play here), but just wanted to drive a point on AHT tracking. .
I knew this was coming, as a matter of fact we have AHT tracking in place, but the issue is we do not have an email routing software which routs emails to agents or aligns them in queue where agents are logged in so the issue now is, if one guy is feeling lazy and doesent do any work his AHT will be less than the one who is actually doing all the work, this is one reason why i feel it might not work, Our emails are not distributed or there is no peak time when a lot of issues come but usually the night shifts are lean and weekends are lean. Any sugestions about any email routing software/s?

Quote:
An Excel expert can help you write the logic for alerts. I'm not sure how the format of your incoming mail is, but if you do copy-paste or import to Excel, something can be done based on the time stamp.
Exporting all this from mantis/ bugzilla can only be done post facto, I am looking for somthing which was do some real time data reporting and send some alerts. in a excel sheet we might have to enter the time on which the email came, or the time on which the mail was forwarded. This would mean a failure again if people fail to enter values.

Pramod

Pramod
Old 8th January 2010, 14:36   #10
BHPian

[quote=pramodkumar;1670246]
  1. What kind of process are we talking about? If not detailed then at least an overview. Its more or less acknowleding the customer mails with a ticket number and passing it to the right dept.
  2. Number of FTE's (full time employees).9 as of now
  3. How many teams/sub-processes are we talking about.22 sub teams where we forward customer issues to
  4. Does this process involve only forwarding the queries to different sections and your teams involvement restricted to sending a acknowledgement only. More or less yes
  5. Number of emails expected in a day/24 hour period. in the tune of 50/Day
  6. Turnaround time/SLA (service level agreement). Depends on the customer but our SLA is 30 minutes sesponse time
Pramod, with a process consisting of 9 FTE's and 50 emails per day, you do not need to have/purchase any complex systems (at least now)
In my opinion you need to have the following practices in place:
  • All emails to come to a single box (supervisor) - read only.
  • Supervisor to allocate emails to agents 10 - 15 at a time.
  • Folders to be created named as agent 1, 2 and so on.
  • No one has permission to delete mails after action or otherwise, diciplinary action taken on violation upto termination.
  • At the end of the shift, agent's output to be measured/emails counted for productivity.
  • From the quality angle, similarly emails can be checked from agents mailbox if properly forwarded etc.
  • Similarly a double check can be done from the sent items folder, as there should be an equal amount of emails actioned and acknowledgement sent.
IMO you are overstaffed if you recieve only 50 emails per day.

Regards
Old 8th January 2010, 15:11   #11
BHPian

[quote=Cyborg;1672144]
Quote:
[list=1]
[Pramod, with a process consisting of 9 FTE's and 50 emails per day, you do not need to have/purchase any complex systems (at least now)
In my opinion you need to have the following practices in place:
  • All emails to come to a single box (supervisor) - read only.
  • Supervisor to allocate emails to agents 10 - 15 at a time.
  • Folders to be created named as agent 1, 2 and so on.
  • No one has permission to delete mails after action or otherwise, diciplinary action taken on violation upto termination.
  • At the end of the shift, agent's output to be measured/emails counted for productivity.
  • From the quality angle, similarly emails can be checked from agents mailbox if properly forwarded etc.
  • Similarly a double check can be done from the sent items folder, as there should be an equal amount of emails actioned and acknowledgement sent.
IMO you are overstaffed if you recieve only 50 emails per day.

Regards
Agree but there is too much dependence on the manual factor in this approach. Plus it's labour intensive. Additionally if this has the potential to ramp up then integrating todays data and mail trails in the new system deployed can be painful.

My suggestion is to get a good App Dev guy and try to get a system developed.

Let us know how it goes.
iceman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2010, 15:41   #12
BHPian

[quote=iceman7;1672241]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post

Agree but there is too much dependence on the manual factor in this approach. Plus it's labour intensive. Additionally if this has the potential to ramp up then integrating todays data and mail trails in the new system deployed can be painful.

My suggestion is to get a good App Dev guy and try to get a system developed.

Let us know how it goes.
Hey Iceman,
The process I have outlined does work/has worked with upto 50 FTE's and a 24/7 operation.
What one needs to have is good/effective supervision - make an example of the first defaulter (you always get one smart alec in a batch) and it serves as a deterrant.
There should be a SLA worked out in which data beyond a certain point can be deleted.
Mainly it does does not cost anything and for a startup with such a simple process of passing the parcel (just a manner of speaking - no offense please) it will definately work!
Cheers
Old 8th January 2010, 16:47   #13
BHPian

all right this is my proposed solution.

Since the all mails are routed onto a single mail server, write an application to capture the mail contents and enter them into the database. Once the data is entered into the database, you can always have certain logic to determine to which particular group or executive need to be assigned to the particular issue. The executive inturn has a front end through which he can view the issues assigned to him/her and also update the status. You can always check on the status of queries by running some reports . Each query will be identified using a unique id. you can also have escalations or alarms sent based on the time take to provide response.

If you are not interested in investing in software, then bugzilla will suffice..but here the supervisor will have a tough time doing the first level analysis of the mails and then creating entries in the tool and then assigning them to executives.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2010, 21:00   #14
BHPian

Quote:
...but the issue is we do not have an email routing software which routs emails to agents or aligns them in queue where agents are logged in so the issue now is, if one guy is feeling lazy and doesent do any work his AHT will be less than the one who is actually doing all the work, this is one reason why i feel it might not work, Our emails are not distributed or there is no peak time when a lot of issues come but usually the night shifts are lean and weekends are lean. Any sugestions about any email routing software/s?
No suggestions on e-mail routing softwares, since I'm unaware of any. I guess it'd be best to get a guy on board to design such a tool for you.

Quote:
Exporting all this from mantis/ bugzilla can only be done post facto, I am looking for somthing which was do some real time data reporting and send some alerts. in a excel sheet we might have to enter the time on which the email came, or the time on which the mail was forwarded. This would mean a failure again if people fail to enter values.
Data reporting, real time status is best handled by a custom built application. I can help you with what needs to be there in the application, but not with how to design (though one by education, not a software guy by practice!!)