Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2012, 15:43   #166
Senior - BHPian
 
kaushik_s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,061
Thanked: 147 Times
Default Re: I wish I never bought that!

Samsung Galaxy S - yes, you heard it right. No other phone that I've used before had ever given me more trouble than this piece of junk. It hangs almost anytime I try to open any app, say facebook or yahoo mail or tweeter. It gets heated up like anything whenever I try to browse via 3G and it even hangs when there is an incoming call. Ok, this last problem is not happening any longer now after OS upgrade but you never know when it'll start acting up again. It has started giving all other problems again. Will never buy any Samsung phones in future for sure.

Diamond DS1 speakers - Too bright for my ears and I bought them without auditioning and I'm the only one to blame for that. Wish I had spend a bit more and get a better set of speakers.
kaushik_s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 16:45   #167
Senior - BHPian
 
download2live's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,101
Thanked: 387 Times
Default Re: I wish I never bought that!

That Victorinox swiss army knife after watching Sanju Baba in Musafir. Waste of 900 bucks.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 16:55   #168
BHPian
 
sam_boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: OD10 -> KA-01
Posts: 219
Thanked: 141 Times
Default Re: I wish I never bought that!

LG GX 500 mobile phone

Paid a solid 10K. Everything is bad in this phone. I don't know what I was drinking when I purchased the phone.
sam_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 17:19   #169
Senior - BHPian
 
shashank.nk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,513
Thanked: 717 Times
Default

The one thing I regret buying most is my Vaio.
Its the most unreliable gadget I've owned thus far. Won't work without a visit to the Service centre every 6 months!
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 17:35   #170
Senior - BHPian
 
vasoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 1,031
Thanked: 207 Times
Default Re: I wish I never bought that!

I do a lot of cost-benefit analysis before I spend money on anything. Even then I end up wasting lots of money. A recent one is deciding to subscribe to Readers Digest using my Debit Card reward points. I regret it now since I never even opened the wrapper of most of those crappy magazines. To boot, they send me at least 2 spam mails a week (they still seem to be in the postal world) promising prices of millions of rupees for various cranky schemes. They even offered me a choice of picking up a Ford Fiesta or Skoda Laura (not sure how comparable they are) if I fill up some junk and send them back.

Today was the best of all. They send me a book by VPP post for Rs 800 and my mom was about to accept it! I never ordered anything from them. Fortunately she called me up and checked before deciding. Not sure what these guys are up to. I am now scared that these guys will send someone home to get the subscription renewed.

Last edited by vasoo : 13th February 2012 at 17:38.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 17:38   #171
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,044
Thanked: 3,175 Times
Default Re: I wish I never bought that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I do a lot of cost-benefit analysis before I spend money on anything. Even then I end up wasting lots of money. A recent one is deciding to subscribe to Readers Digest using my Debit Card reward points. I regret it now since I never even opened the wrapper of most of those crappy magazines and they end up sending so much junk mail (they still seem to be in the postal world) promising prices of millions of rupees for various cranky schemes. Today was the best of all. They send me a book by VPP post for Rs 800 and my mom was about to accept it! I never ordered anything from them. Fortunately she called me up and checked before deciding. Not sure what these guys are up to. I am now scared that these guys will send someone home to get the subscription renewed.
hey, dont blame the mag!!
but yeah, they DO make you win a lot of lotteries/jackpots...
Easy way around it, to get rid of the spam, but still get the mag is ask your newspaper wala to deliver it.
He WILL also deliver RD's marked "only subscription, no sale", but hey, it helps!!!
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 18:41   #172
Senior - BHPian
 
arun_josie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,216
Thanked: 3,939 Times
Default Re: I wish I never bought that!

Elliptical Cross Trainer - I never wanted to buy one but my wife forced me to buy one for her, we bought one and now its used to dry clothes, not sure if this was her real objective
arun_josie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 12:27   #173
BHPian
 
rajanprash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 109
Thanked: 34 Times
Thumbs down Re: I wish I never bought that!

Had a lot of un reading through your posts. All the experiences about the with the undesireable products.

Even i regret buying a SONY ERICSSON VIVAZ. I bought it for nearly 18k in Feb 2011. Had this mobile for 2 months after which it started giving me a lot of problems. This was one of the very few Symbian mobiles from Sony and had many bugs.

After 2 months i got back the mobile from the service center and took it directly into a mobile show room to exchange it for a Samsung Galaxy Ace in May 2011. I was so happy after getting an Android. Plus the capacitive screen was a boon after the resistive one. After that got the Galaxy R in Dec 2011.

I have no regrets with Samsung. I have started loving their products.
rajanprash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 12:53   #174
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,038
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default Re: I wish I never bought that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
A recent one is deciding to subscribe to Readers Digest using my Debit Card reward points. I regret it now since I never even opened the wrapper of most of those crappy magazines.
Can't agree more! All the sugar coated tear jerk foreign stories about how the poor little teenager was about to get drowned in a bucket where his brave brave brother and friend for life saved his sorry a$$ alongwith the before and after photos. There are very very few sections worth reading, like 'life's like that' and joke section. Rest was a huge blood sucking through brains sessions.

Best part was their grand prizes. Boy oh boy, I was so beloved customer, that even when my subscription is stopped 2 years ago, they still don't forget me! I regularly get heavy spam mails regarding how I am close to winning the grand car, if I just bought the 300/500 Indian birds book or something similar. Every time I cringe seeing the mail, thinking how many trees have been wasted for this stupid mess.

Best part of the spam mail is, they give you two envelopes for YES and NO. The YES envelop will be 'postage prepaid' and the NO envelop will be ofcourse, without any stamp. If you want to get rid of the spam, you have to stick stamps and send it to them.

I read somewhere that the best way to get rid of such spam mails who send 'prepaid postage' package is to send heavy stuff in the package to them, so that they pay dearly for the extra weight! I'll mostly try that the next time RD sends me an offer to win an airplane.

I will urge to everyone, unless RD India specifically mentions their stand on paper wastage, please reconsider subscribing them. If you are so keen on getting quota of sob stories, buy it off the stand.

And yes, that VPP thing was tried on me as well!

Other such purchase I regret is from bagittoday. com. A totally shoddy company which will hang on to your dear life trying to sell chaddis to diamonds once they have your number!
ani_meher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 23:01   #175
Senior - BHPian
 
vasoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 1,031
Thanked: 207 Times
Default Re: I wish I never bought that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Can't agree more! ...
....
I read somewhere that the best way to get rid of such spam mails who send 'prepaid postage' package is to send heavy stuff in the package to them, so that they pay dearly for the extra weight! I'll mostly try that the next time RD sends me an offer to win an airplane.

....
Good idea. I have some old ball bearings and some used brake pads etc from my car kept in my attic. Will try to pack them and send it to RD in prepaid envelopes!
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 23:26   #176
Senior - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,532
Thanked: 1,082 Times
Default Re: I wish I never bought that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Elliptical Cross Trainer - I never wanted to buy one but my wife forced me to buy one for her, we bought one and now its used to dry clothes, not sure if this was her real objective

Pretty much the same scenario here, except that it is treated as a showpiece rather than a clothes hangar.

This aside, I am pretty careful, and get only those things that I want.
There are times I wish I could've changed my decision - as in the case of Liva v/s Figo, where the Figo is more driver oriented and the Liva more family oriented. Don't get me wrong, the Liva is a terrific car, but as it being used more as a chore car and self-drive car, the Figo might have been a better bet from a driver friendly point of view.
Another example is the Nokia C3 cell phone that I use. My key requirement was a phone that could be synced with the Mac, like a Blackberry. However, the Nokia PC Suite only works for Windows, and the software compatible with Mac isn't compatible with the C3. Copying my entire contact list manually was a task!
Similarly, I got a Lenovo S10 notebook laptop type deal over a proper full fledged laptop, only to realize the Lenovo is very slow, and is something I don't use much. Even after getting it, I used my old laptop which I switched for a Mac last year. The lenovo is just lying on the side gathering dust.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 23:28   #177
BHPian
 
Su-47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 610
Thanked: 81 Times
Default Re: I wish I never bought that!

One more tata on this thread, a Safari 3.0! More details here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...i-3-0-why.html (Sold my Safari (3.0): Why?)
Su-47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 00:52   #178
Senior - BHPian
 
speedsatya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: bangalore/manga
Posts: 3,162
Thanked: 706 Times
Default Re: I wish I never bought that!

The Blackberry Torch and the Blackberry 9900 .Sold them off within 5 months of buying them .

We have been lucky in terms of vehicles ( the Zen,Lancer,NHC( sold) and now the ANHC ).We had recently bought a HH Super Splendor 125 cc which inspite of all the running in precautions never gave us more than 42 kpl.Sold it off within 3 months of buying
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 03:05   #179
BHPian
 
Enigmatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai/Doon
Posts: 416
Thanked: 464 Times
Default Re: I wish I never bought that!

I love gadgets and i am usually informed about them as well .
But god knows what i was thinking when i bought myself a tata photon +.

This WMD produced by tata is way more leathel than being in a head on accident in a tata ace , in which the pain and the suffering last for seconds , but this peice of junk kills you every single day ! It litereally makes you climb up the WALL !!!

It gives me a download speed of roughly 3.4kbps !
And browsing speed . Ohh it takes a decade to load even google ! That is also the reason why im posting this through my BB.

Moreover eventhough i am on an unlimited plan of rs 950 pm , my monthly bill is always in the range of rs 1200+. .

People if you dont want to pull your hair out everythime you switch on your browser , then remember you have been WARNED !
Enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 20:27   #180
Senior - BHPian
 
naveenroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,311
Thanked: 679 Times
Default Re: I wish I never bought that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Can't agree more! All the sugar coated tear jerk foreign stories about how the poor little teenager was about to get drowned in a bucket where his brave brave brother and friend for life saved his sorry a$$ alongwith the before and after photos. There are very very few sections worth reading, like 'life's like that' and joke section. Rest was a huge blood sucking through brains sessions.

Best part was their grand prizes. Boy oh boy, I was so beloved customer, that even when my subscription is stopped 2 years ago, they still don't forget me! I regularly get heavy spam mails regarding how I am close to winning the grand car, if I just bought the 300/500 Indian birds book or something similar. Every time I cringe seeing the mail, thinking how many trees have been wasted for this stupid mess.

Best part of the spam mail is, they give you two envelopes for YES and NO. The YES envelop will be 'postage prepaid' and the NO envelop will be ofcourse, without any stamp. If you want to get rid of the spam, you have to stick stamps and send it to them.

I read somewhere that the best way to get rid of such spam mails who send 'prepaid postage' package is to send heavy stuff in the package to them, so that they pay dearly for the extra weight! I'll mostly try that the next time RD sends me an offer to win an airplane.

I will urge to everyone, unless RD India specifically mentions their stand on paper wastage, please reconsider subscribing them. If you are so keen on getting quota of sob stories, buy it off the stand.
Totally agree. Liked the magazine until a few years back. Now, I can barely look at it. Folks have gifted me a subscription but I somehow cannot even get to read it. It goes (read for a few pages) to the newspaper wala.
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Never say never amitsatpathy Introduce yourself 7 3rd July 2015 10:59
On a Temple Visiting Spree! Returned with only 1 wish. Need a DSLR! mclaren1885 Travelogues 23 27th July 2007 11:21
Sideways & Sanket!!We wish u BEST of LUCK! nitrous Shifting gears 38 28th September 2006 01:12
Best used car within 8 lakhs ... wish to modify varun_patra Sedans 31 20th November 2005 02:11
Baleno side mirrors wish! Stryker Modifications & Accessories 9 30th June 2005 13:46


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:01.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks