Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 11th January 2010, 17:34   #61
BHPian

Hmm, lets see..

a)
About 3 years back I used to fancy those touch screen smart phones. I bought one of those O2 ones I guess. Missed the 'keypad' badly thereafter. Touch screen was a pain. And the brick size was a bigger pain. Luckily I had bought it used and sold it used with not much damage.

b)
Dell Axim VGA screen PDA while I was in the US of A. It was a great device there to connect to wifi, and do general PDA stuff. Thought it would be a good device to have here. But its being lying pretty much useless here. All with the advent of email based smart phones that can do pretty much everything and more.
More I think about it, this can be a good device for a 'carputer' ! Anyone ?

c) Nikon Manual SLR Camera
Again this was a few years back when the digital camera age was just kicking in. I used it well for 2-3 years. But then it is typical Museum stuff now. Wondering what to do with it.

d) Crappy Sony Xplod 4 incher front speakers on my old Zen. They were as good as non existant with Pioneer 6*9s kicking in the rear.

Thats all I can remember so far. For sure there would be more..
jigbarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 18:06   #62
SBR
BHPian

Had to regret not once but twice;

Bought a 1987 Model M800 in 2005 for 45K from a close friend as I had just started driving. The Car once nearly killed me as the engine switched off on the Tirupati Highway while overtaking a bus. I was lucky to be safe then.
The engine used to shut off very frequently. Spent 20K on repairs in 11 months and sold it for 20K to True Value.

Second Mistake - Bought a New M800 AC in Nov 2006 which is still with me. The car has not given me any problems. However, I wish I had bought a bigger car like Getz or Swift.
SBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 18:31   #63
Senior - BHPian

A Bajaj KB 135. It used to make some noise in the engine which took me to the service station once every week. Got fed up with that and never enjoyed the drive. Next comes the Polio which was a regret for the family since it was the first car. Some days it sat idle waiting for parts.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 00:08   #64
BHPian

Default My Nokia E -72!

Cannot imagine the disappointment, I had after waiting for the launch for nearly 4 months and when I got my hands on it finally, the joy was short lived for just over a day.

Just appalling with the list of bugs in the phone nokia e-72. Just dont have the words to describe the disappointment, especially after I ditched my trust e-63 to get this phone. Too many bugs to list. There are already several discussions and rants and expletives about this on the www.

Not my first nokia, but certainly my last, if nokia doesnt redress the bugs via a firmware update soon.
Attached Images

veeru27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 12:56   #65
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I usually run an indepth research before any purchase, even if its something as simple as a mobile phone.

Automotive Regrets:

- 118 NE : Was only 15 and didn't know about cars. Such shoddy build quality that I'm glad Premier has disappeared (nearly) from the Indian automotive scene. Air-con conked off within minutes of showroom delivery, overheating was standard issue, required tin work every year (heavy rusting), thick nails jutting out of the rear seat bruised many of us (at the wrong place), innumerable breakdowns. The year was '92 and options limited. Still, I wish I'd bought a Maruti 1000 (no power, but better build & reliability) or a Zen instead. Even our '93 Premier 137D performed WAY better than the wretched 118 NE.

Mercedes C180 : One of the lousiest cars ever from my garage. Always required some work or the other. Unlike the 118 which was cheap to repair, C180 bills were always in the 50,000 - 1,00,000 range (thankfully covered by warranty). Car didn't deserve to wear the three pointed star up at the front. Was not part of the decision making.

- 1.8 Isuzu petrol transplant in my Jeep : Deepest regret. Original Peugeot diesel wore out at 1.4x lakh kms. Was tempted by the prospects of more power. Went to after-market tuner Viper, bought a used 1.8 ISZ, rebuilt engine and shoe-horned. Absolute disaster. Innumerable breakdowns, overheating within 2 kms of driving, shoddy install quality, bye bye to 4WD (what was I thinking!!), smell of petrol inside the cabin could make you faint, several vibrations and judders, daily niggles & issues....text book case of how NOT to do an engine swap. Thankfully, the only thing I lost was some $$$ (and heartburn). Rectified with a factory-sourced brand new Mahindra 2.5 diesel + factory-quality install by Mahindra workshop. Now you know why I don't recommend engine swaps?! Factory quality is factory quality. Period.

Non-automotive regrets:

- Sony LCD TV (for my room) : Let the girl do the research & choosing. Turns out, she didn't research at all. Merely went by the brand. DVD picture quality is excellent, but regular television is an eye sore! Wish I'd gotten a Sharp instead.

Last edited by GTO : 12th January 2010 at 13:03. Reason: Adding Jeep point
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 13:22   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- Sony LCD TV (for my room) : Let the girl do the research & choosing. Turns out, she didn't research at all. Merely went by the brand. DVD picture quality is excellent, but regular television is an eye sore! Wish I'd gotten a Sharp instead.
That is a trait of most LCD TVs, right? Plasmas perform much better on DTH than LCDs.
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 13:29   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
Well, I still regret it when i see a getz or a swift, And the regret is slowly vanishing as we are switching to i20 i will be saying "thank god i did not buy the getz or swift's top variant

About ur dataone connection, Contact the higher authority, check modem, splitter and the phone line, does the main phone wire go through a white square box before connecting to the splitter?
As mentioned before, now we don't regret buying it. but it was there initially. similar to you, we are looking to buy a new car, probably to replace santro. its going to be either sedan or premium hatchback. not yet decided which one. but it should be done in couple of months. waiting for polo to be launched to see how good it is.

as for dataone, the phone wire comes from phone to splitter directly. there is no box in between. The bsnl guy has checked modem, wires and line. says he finds no problem. still the trouble remains.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 13:37   #68
BHPian

Non Automative regret

Bought a Samsung Omnia 910 last july after some recos from friends. But for me it was an absolute disaster. Couldn't handle any feature without taking help from my friends. Finall gave it to my wife as she didn't want to sell for half the rate. I am back to my trusted Nokia 6300.
Do not go for any windows mobile phones without knowing how to use them. For me it is a real pain to use windows mobile based phones. Anyways these are my views.
dkhatau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 15:26   #69
BHPian

IT Inspector, you may wanna post that in the Steve Jobs' fanboys thread, this one's called I wish I'd never bought that!

Cheers

Last edited by Dippy : 12th January 2010 at 16:56. Reason: Please avoid quoting a long post when replying to a thread. Thanks.
Wolfheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 18:45   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
That is a trait of most LCD TVs, right? Plasmas perform much better on DTH than LCDs.
Yes, my Sony Bravia works great on HD channels. v grainy on non-HD channels.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 18:54   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
IT Inspector, you may wanna post that in the Steve Jobs' fanboys thread, this one's called I wish I'd never bought that!

Cheers
Sorry boss i am not a Steve Jobs fanboi, never been one. I for one hate Apple products, but that does not mean i will simply write it off when its a decent product.

Cheers
it_inspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 19:07   #72
BHPian

Quote:
- 1.8 Isuzu petrol transplant in my Jeep : Deepest regret. Original Peugeot diesel wore out at 1.4x lakh kms. Was tempted by the prospects of more power. Went to after-market tuner Viper, bought a used 1.8 ISZ, rebuilt engine and shoe-horned. Absolute disaster. Innumerable breakdowns, overheating within 2 kms of driving, shoddy install quality, bye bye to 4WD (what was I thinking!!), smell of petrol inside the cabin could make you faint, several vibrations and judders, daily niggles & issues....text book case of how NOT to do an engine swap. Thankfully, the only thing I lost was some $$$ (and heartburn). Rectified with a factory-sourced brand new Mahindra 2.5 diesel + factory-quality install by Mahindra workshop. Now you know why I don't recommend engine swaps?! Factory quality is factory quality. Period.
As quoted by Viper - The job was not carried out by him but was done by someone else. Viper only suggested where to get the job done. The payment wasn't made to Viper but to the guy who did the job.
balenopower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 23:50   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

- 118 NE :
Air-con conked off within minutes of showroom delivery, overheating was standard issue, required tin work every year (heavy rusting), thick nails jutting out of the rear seat bruised many of us (at the wrong place), innumerable breakdowns.
That's very surprizing since i never had a problem with the NE. AC never had issues and the gearbox was the bestestest! The only issue was rusting as you mentioned. Infact we had the 118NE for nearly 13 years with maybe 2 breakdowns totally before selling her for Rs.12,000. Learnt driving on her and just love the car.

Quote:
Sony LCD TV (for my room) : Let the girl do the research & choosing. Turns out, she didn't research at all. Merely went by the brand. DVD picture quality is excellent, but regular television is an eye sore! Wish I'd gotten a Sharp instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Yes, my Sony Bravia works great on HD channels. v grainy on non-HD channels.
Which series do you guys have? I had a Hitachi plasma and found it grainy compared to my Sony X series.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 12th January 2010 at 23:55. Reason: typo
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 00:22   #74
BHPian

A Phone I had Bought as an Impulse.
The Asus P320. Wanted a phone that has everything in the lowest possible cost. The Asus p320 came to the rescue! Darn I so regret not waiting for a few more days. It had the Slowest of processors 200Mhz If I remember correctly, 64MB Ram, No 3.5mm Jack and too small. My Previous phone was better the SE W700i.
Bumble Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 13:40   #75
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
The job was not carried out by him but was done by someone else. Viper only suggested where to get the job done. The payment wasn't made to Viper but to the guy who did the job.
I don't mean to go OT, neither do I want to drag the topic, but its important to clarify:

1. The job was not done by Viper? Hello, NO jobs are done by Viper. Like ever. He doesn't do anything himself, nor does he have his own garage or mechanics. His business model itself is that of a third party consultant. Translated : He gets the business / order from the customer, takes full responsibility for the quality of work and then, outsources it to others. That's how all his services are performed. His profit margin is from playing the role of a middle man. NOT a SINGLE order that has been placed with Viper by anyone is carried out by viper himself.

2. Several payments HAVE been made directly to Viper, including atleast one cheque payment. There are also email confirmations of the same.

3. ALL communication, quotes, job estimates, job instructions and $$$ discussions have taken place between myself and Viper. Not only via phone and personal meetings, but also via archived emails (that are available even today).

Goofing up is one thing, accepting your mistakes another, but washing your hands off the issue entirely by saying "Oh, I only recommended the places" is RIDICULOUS! Do me a favour and please ask Viper to contact me directly if he is still in doubt whether he handled the project or merely recommended some places to me. And while we are at it, please do refer to the following posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi Guys,

The wait is almost over. The car is mechanically complete in all aspects and ready for delivery form my workshop. It will now go to the painter where it will be for 2-3 days to take care of miscellaneous touch ups, rim painting/polishing etc. and should finally be with GTO max to max by Wednesday the 5th of April.

We have conducted a small trial of approx 20kms and are happy to say that there are zero vibrations form either the drive shafts, propellor or axles that we have fabricated ourselves. Will let GTO take over from here and keep this thread updated with his views on my job and post pics of the complete car.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Viper
Doesn't quite sound like a mere "Viper only suggested where to get the job done" to me. There are several more posts on the same thread which one may refer to. The way that my order was processed is the same way in which EVERY order to Viper is processed. He is the sole point of communication, plays the role of a middleman, all discussion on price & work to be done is with him, and the work is eventually performed at a third party. Really, its time to wake up and smell the coffee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
That's very surprizing since i never had a problem with the NE. AC never had issues and the gearbox was the bestestest!
Agreed on the gearbox, it was / is one of the best. But the reliability & build quality of my car left a LOT to be desired.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote