Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: What would you want your kid to be?
Chatur - Mug up and be successful 8 7.41%
Rancho - Live on your own terms 88 81.48%
Farhaan - Do whatever your folks say is good for you 2 1.85%
Raju - Just get a degree and get a good job 10 9.26%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11th January 2010, 11:33   #16
BHPian

I hope you guys don't take that movie seriously. Aamir Khan's character, like in most of his other movies, is an unrealistic winner.

(1) The super intelligent guy, who happens to be a rebel, hardly studies and still ends up at the top of his class.

This is myth. Ask me, I followed the same principle and ended up no where near the top. If you p** off your profs then god help you.

(2) He also manages to get a hot girl to fall in love with him who waits for him for 10 years (correct me if I am wrong)

No girl is going to wait for you for 10 years.

(3) 400 patents without a degree.

Possible. I must mention here that Rancho's achievements at the end are very similar to Dr. Manilal Bhowmicks. However, I must also mention that Manilal Bhowmick has nothing near 400 patents, and is not respected much by the scientific community.

My point is that, do not take important decisions in your life based on a character which was created for audience which likes to see their favourite star (Aamir Khan) always win. Life is not like that. You would always need to compromise at least one among your passion, your responsibilities and your ambitions.
A passion needn't be what you get paid for. A lot of great leaders (and some of our own good politicians) are passionate about public service, but they did grow proffessionaly as well.

And I hated that , holier than thou cheap shot at bankers who happen to be former engineers. If you want engineer and scientists to do research in India, bloody pay them. The current pay packages at research institutes in the country are not incentives, they are more like deterrants.

This is for all the techies here. If you don't like your current job, and want to try marketing, finance, advertising, singing or something else, don't base that decision on this stupid movie (the "science ka mazaa lo" angle) . Yes, engineering can be fun, but not what we do in all these multinational companies. Routine techie jobs normally require using 3 grey cells per day. If you try something new, there is no reason why it will unequivocally turn out to be un-interesting.

And finally, yes the movie is almost entirely based on five point someone. I never liked that book, but after watching the movie I have started finding redeeming qualities in that book.

Last edited by e1t1bet : 11th January 2010 at 11:35.
e1t1bet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 11:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidd25 View Post
The BIG question guys

Money = Success ?
Of course guys. Ultimate goal of each and every people working is to earn money as much as possible. More successful men earn more money. Nobody work without money. Even if there is vested interest.

"Mere paas Maa hai" was famous Sasi Kapoor dialogue in one of the movie. But if you have Maa and you are not able to feed her. Then how it will be good?

So, Money = Success and No Money = Failure in this world. This is my firm belief.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 11:47   #18
BHPian

As far as money=success is concerned, here is my opinion:

"Money is a necessary condition, but not a sufficient condition"

You should at least have enough money to give your family a good life.
e1t1bet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 11:51   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1t1bet View Post
As far as money=success is concerned, here is my opinion:

"Money is a necessary condition, but not a sufficient condition"

You should at least have enough money to give your family a good life.
Agree, its not the ONLY criteria for Success.
sidd25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 12:26   #20
BHPian

3 idiots was an entertaining movie, if you leave your brains behind. I would compare it to the Govinda-David Dhavan type brainless comedies, but it certainly is not a movie which should influence your choice of career.

The movie has some serious flaws:

1. Madhavan's character pretends to have a heart-attack during the take-off of an international flight. In real life, he would have been charged for terrorist activity and would have spent at least half of his life in jail.

2. Aamir Khan's charater impersonated the real Ranchod Das Chanchad and got a fake degree for him. Again in real life, this is a serious criminal offense.

3. Aamir Khan's character constantly questioned the bookish methods of teaching. His professor told him explicitly that he needs to write the same bookish definition in the answer sheet if he wants to pass the exam. He tops the exam, which means that he must have written bookish answers in the answer sheet. So this basically means that Aamir Khan's character fooled around in the classroom by questioning the bookish methods, whereas he actually believed in and followed the same bookish methods to top in the exams.

4. Within 10 years, Aamir Khan's character is shown to have acquired over 400 patents. Remember that the real character (Wangdu) still doesn't have an engineering degree to begin with. How did he manage to fund the research for those 400 patents (assuming that he had the technical know-how for doing that kind of research) ?

5. The 3 idiots are shown to crash the wedding party hosted by their college Dean, and later shown as causing nuisance at his residence. In real life, the consequences of such actions would be much more severe.

6. Sharman Joshi's character is shown to get a well paying job even though he told the interview panel in very clear words that he attempted a suicide, urinated on Dean's residence's gate and refused to follow a diplomatic attitude towards clients. This does not happen in real life.

7. Madhavan's character is shown as being offered an assistant's job with a well-known wild-life photographer without having any technical training or past experience, based on a few amateur photographs taken by him. This does not happen in real life.

I would not even comment on how these 3 idiots managed to perform a complicated child delivery in the hostel's common room with the help of a doctor providing guidance over video conferencing. I wonder why no one else found this scene objectionable.

And the scene where Kareena Kapoor's character is shown to run away from her wedding with a well settled man, for someone whom she has not seen in 10 years. This can happen only in a movie.

Please don't take this movie seriously. Watch it they way you would watch any comedy movie, leaving your brains behind.

Rohan,
Bangalore
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 12:39   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
3 idiots was an entertaining movie, if you leave your brains behind. I would compare it to the Govinda-David Dhavan type brainless comedies, but it certainly is not a movie which should influence your choice of career.

1. Madhavan's character pretends to have a heart-attack during the take-off of an international flight. In real life, he would have been charged for terrorist activity and would have spent at least half of his life in jail.

2. Aamir Khan's charater impersonated the real Ranchod Das Chanchad and got a fake degree for him. Again in real life, this is a serious criminal offense.

3. Aamir Khan's character constantly questioned the bookish methods of teaching. His professor told him explicitly that he needs to write the same bookish definition in the answer sheet if he wants to pass the exam. He tops the exam, which means that he must have written bookish answers in the answer sheet. So this basically means that Aamir Khan's character fooled around in the classroom by questioning the bookish methods, whereas he actually believed in and followed the same bookish methods to top in the exams.

4. Within 10 years, Aamir Khan's character is shown to have acquired over 400 patents. Remember that the real character (Wangdu) still doesn't have an engineering degree to begin with. How did he manage to fund the research for those 400 patents (assuming that he had the technical know-how for doing that kind of research) ?

5. The 3 idiots are shown to crash the wedding party hosted by their college Dean, and later shown as causing nuisance at his residence. In real life, the consequences of such actions would be much more severe.

6. Sharman Joshi's character is shown to get a well paying job even though he told the interview panel in very clear words that he attempted a suicide, urinated on Dean's residence's gate and refused to follow a diplomatic attitude towards clients. This does not happen in real life.

7. Madhavan's character is shown as being offered an assistant's job with a well-known wild-life photographer without having any technical training or past experience, based on a few amateur photographs taken by him. This does not happen in real life.

I would not even comment on how these 3 idiots managed to perform a complicated child delivery in the hostel's common room with the help of a doctor providing guidance over video conferencing. I wonder why no one else found this scene objectionable.

And the scene where Kareena Kapoor's character is shown to run away from her wedding with a well settled man, for someone whom she has not seen in 10 years. This can happen only in a movie.

Please don't take this movie seriously. Watch it they way you would watch any comedy movie, leaving your brains behind.

Rohan,
Bangalore
Even the ragging scene where the senior gets an electric shock could have been seriously treated.
Old 11th January 2010, 12:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

Other than most of the things listed above, the most important thing I identified and learned from the movie is ------

Parents should not put pressure on their kids to study or do something the kids are not inclined to. You cannot force your kid to live the life you always wanted to.

Also you need money to enter colleges - even in the movie Aamir's character gets to study as a proxy - would his character have even gotten into that college with his humble roots ?

Rest "Aaal izzz well"
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 12:50   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post

Rohan,
Bangalore
+1 Rohan.
These are exactly my thoughts for this movie. If we are willing not to think and find any logic then it is ok watch.
A average movie nothing extraordinary.
If you replace Aamir Khan with any actor from industry this movie would have flopped.
This movie is working more due to the Aamir khan factor.

Last edited by smooth : 11th January 2010 at 12:52.
smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 13:10   #24
BHPian

Quote:
I agree, loving automobiles may land you in a chauffeurs jobs.
So even i dont thinks you can work on what you always love.
If you are not disciplined, then you will not succeed anywhere.
subscrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 13:19   #25
Team-BHP Support

Rohan, your post is a perfect example of Missing the Forest for the Trees. The movie will obviously overdo everything in order to drive home the point, especially a Hindi movie. Don't we see shocking statements in Indian soap operas repeated 3-4 times so that nobody misses the dialog? Often with a loud background music.

Emotional movie scenes are often accompanied with soulful background music, should we take exception to that too? That doesn't happen in real life either.

It is better to focus on moral of the story than specific faults.

Strangely, I do know one character who comes close to Rancho. About 3 years back, one guy applied for a job in my company. His application was rejected, however he insisted he wanted to talk to me.

Although he was a final year student in MIT (Manipal), he was a former entrepreneur and a former ISKCON monk. After losing his father, he had started a business right after high-school in West Bengal, and it started doing every well. His uncles joined the business as partners to handle the expanding business. But he got bored with business life and decided to become a monk with ISKCON. After 2 years of monk-ship, he decided to try out college and ended up in MIT. So I asked him what he wanted to do. His business was already running successfully, without his involvement. Unlike most people, he had no compulsion or need to join the rat race and climb the corporate ladder. And he really didn't have a clue about what he wanted. We talked about it for couple hours, and at the end I did offer him a job to do whatever he wanted in the company. The guy was too creative to let him go without an offer. After 4 days he got back declining the offer saying he needs to really think about his life. Few months later he shows up in the office saying he going abroad to Scandinavia to pursue master's degree in some obscure field which he thinks he will love. And he gave full credit to me for his decision.

I have no idea what that obscure field was and I don't even remember his name, he had a very complex Bengali name. But I am glad he found his calling. He has promised to come back someday and meet me. All I have is a photograph of me with him which he insisted on.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 14:07   #26
Senior - BHPian

400 patents in 10 years.
40 patents in 1 year.
3.XXX patents per month.
Approx. one patent every 10 days.
I mean wow...!

And the batteries are super efficient on Joy's creation. They can run for so long so efficiently. I have tried to speak against negative things in my college days, specially when concerned with exams and lectures. But ended up paying a cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
aaggoswami, you haven't understood 3 Idiots. That's all I can say for now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
aaggoswami, you have understood 3 Idiots in the opposite way I guess.
How to understand a movie ?

Quote:
Being pessimestic is not going to help.
I have a best example of my cousin, who did his BE mech.

We went ahead and did MS in automobile engg from UK.
He is working @ ford motors UK now in some hifi engine design technology.

Need to mention, India must have some really good intitutes for Auto. technology, because studing in foreign countries is not everyones cup of tea.
I also tried at VIT i.e. Vellore Institute of Technology. I am again not eligible as the Automotive course they run in collobaration with ARAI needs a 4 year degree to enter.
So VIT also did not work for me.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 14:47   #27
Senior - BHPian

On a funny side
One thing to learn from the movie.
Don't laugh too much you might miss out the CHAMTKAAR speech ;-)
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 14:52   #28
BHPian

One thing which made me think was:-

Why to do engineering before you do a MBA to get a job in a bank.
Do Engineers are prefered in MBA? If yes, whats the logic behind that?

Another thing:-
You do a BE civil
you do a BE chemical
You do a BE mech
You do a BE (any branch)
And you join an IT company.

Why do we do a BE civil or chemical if we are going to work in an IT company?

Last edited by sidd25 : 11th January 2010 at 14:55.
Old 11th January 2010, 15:02   #29
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Aamir Khan has built a reputation for acting in/making movies that are thoughtful, true to reality, strike a chord within and basically carry a theme most people relate to.

3 idiots is no exception. I knew someone who blew his brains out because his dad was a tyrant and wanted to run his life all the time. Nothing filmi about it guys.

How you bring up kids and how you relate to them is the single most critical element in human life across the world. The very future of the planet depends on how we parent our kids.

The movie is about being sensitive to kids, allowing them the freedom to explore their inner selves and basically find their own calling.

3 idiots is not about defining success and suggesting that everyone dump the usual route and take a walk down unknown paths.

Its about being alert and alive to our children, and perhaps to ourselves and choosing a path that makes you a wholesome being and basically happier.

I could relate to every scene in the movie and perhaps I am the biggest idiot in town !!
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 15:03   #30
BHPian

Samurai, I do agree that we Indians are not the subtle kind. And our movies and TV shows do tend to exaggerate things to drive home a point.

IMHO, this exaggeration is OK as long as it is being used for the sake of entertainment. But some people tend to get influenced by the things shown in movies/TV shows and try to imitate the same. For example, some kids tried to fly like Shaktiman, some students tried to cheat in an exam like Munnabhai MBBS, some guys tried to rob a bank, any many more.

The last thing you want happening is students misbehaving with college profs and getting the message that education is worthless.

I agree that the education system in our country is totally flawed. Original thinking and innovation are not encouraged. But the fact remains that those who go through formal education have a better chance of landing a job as compared to those who haven't. Having a degree does not help you in your job, but it helps you to get one.

Everyone is not so lucky to be able to work in a field they are passionate about. I liked to paint when I was young. If I had taken up painting as a career, chances are that I might have become a professional artist. There are also chances that I might have ended up painting movie posters and advertisement banners.

Hence, in order to get a respectable job, I went through formal education and became an engineer.

I understand that there is nothing better than being able to work in a field you are passionate about. But India is not the country where people can follow their dreams and become successful that easily.

There are examples of people who followed their dreams and became successful at what they loved, but for each successful person, there must be 100 others who tried to follow their dreams and failed miserably. We don't know them because nobody talks about them.

Samurai, you are passionate about programming and decided to pursue a career in programming. I an glad that you are happy with your choice of career. But would you have pursued a career in photography, your other passion ? Do you feel that in a country like India, you would have been as financially successful if you became a professional photographer ?

Please don't take it as a personal attack, I am just trying to use your case as an example, since you are one of those few people who are actually driven by passion. Most of us don't even remember what we were passionate about (except cars and girls) when we were in college.

Rohan,
Bangalore
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote