Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 13th January 2010, 00:24   #31
BHPian

yet Indians are obsessed with "shopping" in Dubai, even though pretty much everything is available in India.

The best way you can teach Dubai a lesson is by avoiding it.
aerohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 02:19   #32
Senior - BHPian

I love the way the Independent contorts views of the readers. Looking at the comments, it feels like the readers are putty in their hands.

All said and done, it was a good read.

Such reality checks are essential from time to time.
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 10:03   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
yet Indians are obsessed with "shopping" in Dubai, even though pretty much everything is available in India.

The best way you can teach Dubai a lesson is by avoiding it.
I liked this comment a lot this is my personal observation too.

Indian Families are still in hangover of pre 1999 era when Indian market was not open and buying gifts from abroad was customary I remember seeing almost every family of 4 returning from USA used to have half ton of checked in baggage.

but now it is plain stupid and foolish to buy things from Singapore , Dubai , Malaysia when they are available at home much cheaper and better.

Indians should understand that these cities / countries promote themselves so much here because they know Indians are biggest shoppers , If we spend money at our home it aids our economy and also MNC start paying attention to local market.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 11:55   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
I liked this comment a lot this is my personal observation too.

Indian Families are still in hangover of pre 1999 era when Indian market was not open and buying gifts from abroad was customary I remember seeing almost every family of 4 returning from USA used to have half ton of checked in baggage.

but now it is plain stupid and foolish to buy things from Singapore , Dubai , Malaysia when they are available at home much cheaper and better.

Indians should understand that these cities / countries promote themselves so much here because they know Indians are biggest shoppers , If we spend money at our home it aids our economy and also MNC start paying attention to local market.
well said there amit. we guys still seem to take a lot of pride in everthing "Imported" when most of the stuff can very well be brought in india now. For some reason the word "Imported" seems to add a lot of weightage to ones prestige and social status albeit at varying levels in our society. The same piece of gadget seems to attract more attention if brought outside the nation than if it would have been brought in India.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 12:15   #35
Senior - BHPian

Many things happening in Dubai-most of them are not reported.
And Dubai seems expensive place in uae (belive worst than Mumbai)- You get everything there and as such your money also vanish quickly.Still those who have gone there years back all benefitted as there were plenty of good jon opporunities then. However the situation since last 4 or 5 years is entirely different and many people are get cheated either for low salary or no salary and any job they have to do.

Alas, still people want to go and work there !!
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 12:15   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
well said there amit. we guys still seem to take a lot of pride in everthing "Imported" when most of the stuff can very well be brought in india now. For some reason the word "Imported" seems to add a lot of weightage to ones prestige and social status albeit at varying levels in our society. The same piece of gadget seems to attract more attention if brought outside the nation than if it would have been brought in India.
That said Rotorhead and amit, I would like to point out that Dubai does get some pretty unique stuff from all over the world which you are unlikely to get in such a short circumference in India. Iranian/ Uzbeki/ Thai/ Pakistani fabrics/handicrafts/ jewellery to list a few. I used to have a fun time getting this type of stuff when I woz there. My wifey went crazy shopping for these things.

electronics is not all that great usually lag behind the US releases a lot - but that said, when whole of US was out of stock of Wii - you could get NTSC and PAL Wii in Dubai off the shelf. You can get that in India now but not 2 years back.
adzegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010, 16:23   #37
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Default Just my thots

This is just my humble opinion on this topic
Why are we so interested and spending time on creating and writing on a thread that beats up another country? I think we have enough of our own and need to focus on them first. I only feel that before we pass judgment and condemn anything that goes on in another nation,we gotta put our own act together on the same or similar issues. This is certainly not to be interpreted that i am suggesting accepting what is going on there in dubai- all i see is that we probably can direct our effort and energy in solving our own issues than to dedicate time to find fault with others...I think india is a rich nation, but as someone said- it has poor thinkers...we need to elevate that and prove to the rest of the world we are really a super power to reckon with , that will come only if we clean our own house big time...
As i said- just my thoughts..
mkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010, 18:11   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Why are we so interested and spending time on creating and writing on a thread that beats up another country?
Because it is directly related to Indian citizens ( millions of us) who go to Dubai for various reasons.

Probably if you have seen the link which triggered the discussion you would not have asked this question.

Those who think Dubai glitter is due to Oil are mistaken , Dubai has no oil ( their neighbors do have )their developmental model was based on service and finance industry and free port ( Singapore model)

Also all the glitter of this Emirate has blood and toil of cheap labor provided by our country and also a part of boom is due to money spent by us and black money from here ( all of the billions do not land up in Switzerland alone) .

For what I have heard Galadhari group which is reputed name today in Dubai was supplier to Haji Mastan in 70s and used to deliver gold at high seas just at our door steps this was long before Dubai boom. Still most wanted gangsters of India operate from Dubai.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010, 21:27   #39
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Because it is directly related to Indian citizens ( millions of us) who go to Dubai for various reasons.

Probably if you have seen the link which triggered the discussion you would not have asked this question.

Those who think Dubai glitter is due to Oil are mistaken , Dubai has no oil ( their neighbors do have )their developmental model was based on service and finance industry and free port ( Singapore model)

Also all the glitter of this Emirate has blood and toil of cheap labor provided by our country and also a part of boom is due to money spent by us and black money from here ( all of the billions do not land up in Switzerland alone) .

For what I have heard Galadhari group which is reputed name today in Dubai was supplier to Haji Mastan in 70s and used to deliver gold at high seas just at our door steps this was long before Dubai boom. Still most wanted gangsters of India operate from Dubai.
I have seen the link, and i did not want to re-iterate this again what some have said, if we are so very concerned on how our indians are treated in a foreign land- stop going there and MOST imp- worry and do something about how indians are treated in INDIA, that way people may just not want to risk and go to such places.
If someone comes to your home and you do not treat them well- you are certainly a bad host, but if you do not even treat your own family well....cant say much
All i am saying- not good to spend time and energy on others, clean up our own house..i would really not like to carry on this as i feel we are none to point fingers at anyone else unless we are true to own self...if its really that bad- just stop going there...do not crib.

Last edited by mkh : 15th January 2010 at 21:28.
mkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2010, 02:41   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Why are we so interested and spending time on creating and writing on a thread that beats up another country? I think we have enough of our own and need to focus on them first. I only feel that before we pass judgment and condemn anything that goes on in another nation,we gotta put our own act together on the same or similar issues. This is certainly not to be interpreted that i am suggesting accepting what is going on there in dubai- all i see is that we probably can direct our effort and energy in solving our own issues than to dedicate time to find fault with others...I think india is a rich nation, but as someone said- it has poor thinkers...we need to elevate that and prove to the rest of the world we are really a super power to reckon with , that will come only if we clean our own house big time...
As i said- just my thoughts..
Because this is no different from Hitler's Germany or Mussolini's Italy. They also exploited people from other countries and faiths willingly and look what happened there. And this was going on while the so called liberal British and Americans were simply oblivious to it. And the same thing's happening in Dubai.

You've got violation of basic human rights, environmental degradation, and billions of dollars of investors' money on the verge of being wiped out, so that 5% of the population there can live "comfortably". Definitely something to look at and learn from.
sujaylahiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2010, 06:48   #41
BHPian

Default Dark Side Of Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
The dark side of Dubai - Johann Hari, Commentators - The Independent

Why do people still keep going to Dubai for work/to work if all of this is happening? Isnt like half of Kerala pretty much over there
Its the same old human attitude. " It happens only to the other guy, never to me" and "They all made money there", why now discourage others from doing the same? And also we believe only what we want to hear.
sudharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2010, 16:15   #42
BHPian

All these troubles started happening only after the construction boom in Dubai. This is when more westerners and large amount workers from the subcontinent started to pour in. So there happened a scenario where the nationals became just about 25-30% of the entire population of the country.So its natural for the local population to become paranoid and unfortunately human rights violations became a norm especially in the construction sector.

The liquor policy doesn't come in if you are drinking in a pub , but if you want to buy liquor from a store in Dubai then you need to have a liquor license(obtained by submitting sponsors letter and salary slip).I feel this is a good policy to protect public safety.Actually you don't need a license if you can go to the neighbouring emirate of Ajman to buy booze.

You are sure to end up in debt if you start spending like there is no tomorrow and there is no escape unless you pay up your debt. Mostly filipinos and certain guys who want to experience Dubai to fullest with no regard for what they are earning,get caught in this mess.

UAE or middle-east as a whole has played a huge part in getting states like Kerala to where it is now,majority of the families and businesses in north Kerala survive because of the money coming in from the Gulf.Every year the remittance account for more than $10 billion.

I was born and brought up in Dubai. I have been there all my life and have never faced any situation where I was discriminated because of my nationality. But you are sure to face discrimination from your own countrymen.The NRIs still don't have voting rights in India,what do you call that?? Even the Indian govt. considers us as slaves sent over to foreign lands to earn money for the country, so why should the UAE govt. be any different.They know that if you hurt a guy from the sub-continent there is no one to support him,but try wrong doing a US or EU national then they will have a lot of issues to ponder on.

The present fall/loss in the market is normal because they have invested lot of money in numerous projects and these investments wont reap in money immediately.

No offense to anyone but we Indians are the most racist of all,we just don't realize it,we discriminate people according to state/colour/accent and what not??

So we should first focus on improving the situations in our country so that these poor guys don't have to go to foreign lands in search of jobs and suffer there.

Last edited by harishnair : 17th January 2010 at 16:18.
harishnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2010, 16:26   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair
.The NRIs still don't have voting rights in India,what do you call that??
Isn't there a dual citizenship thingy or something you can make use of?
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2010, 17:48   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Isn't there a dual citizenship thingy or something you can make use of?
It is only useful for people residing in countries like US,Canada,UK etc. where they do grand citizenship to immigrants and the dual citizenship law lets you to retain your Indian citizenship along with the new one from the respective country you are residing in. So its basically useless for Indians in the gulf countries.

For an NRI to obtain a voter's ID he has to continuously reside in India for atleast 6 months and this clause creates all the trouble.

Last edited by harishnair : 17th January 2010 at 17:58.
harishnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2010, 18:43   #45
BHPian

There is already a bill in the offing in parliament allowing NRIs to vote. Unfortunately as I understand there will still be a requirement to come back to India to vote - which sounds a bit wierd.

However there are a significant %age of Indian population abroad which already has voter'd id - and I wonder how strongly do they feel about their right to vote to come back and exercise that right.

Discrimination is a way of life in Dubai. There are two major facts
a) By law, your lenght of stay does not entitle you to citizenship
b) There is no melting pot - there are a million nationalities in their own cocoons and their own cultures.
So it makes me wonder when people say Dubai is home - does it make any sense, apart from having a convinience based cocoon which will get shattered the moment you do something which law perceives as wrong - then you will see the dark side of an authorotarian state.

there was that infamous video of the crown price of abu dhabi tortoring an arab (egyption?) businessmen. also the story of an ex-spy which was hounded by Dubai world.
adzegeek is offline   Reply With Quote