Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2010, 20:30   #46
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Isn't there a dual citizenship thingy or something you can make use of?
it's OCI (overseas citizens of India), and the naming is weird because it's a citizenship with no voting rights. Even govt employement is not allowed which sounds weird because all the forms I filled for UPSC used to have a clause for PIOs. They took it out?

OCI vs PIO Card. Detailed comparison whether you should get OCI card or PIO card for persons of Indian origin
Quote:
There is already a bill in the offing in parliament allowing NRIs to vote. Unfortunately as I understand there will still be a requirement to come back to India to vote - which sounds a bit wierd.
NRI's always had a right to vote, or is it otherwise?
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2010, 23:27   #47
BHPian
 
aerohit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: India
Posts: 832
Thanked: 527 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
I liked this comment a lot this is my personal observation too.

Indian Families are still in hangover of pre 1999 era when Indian market was not open and buying gifts from abroad was customary I remember seeing almost every family of 4 returning from USA used to have half ton of checked in baggage.

but now it is plain stupid and foolish to buy things from Singapore , Dubai , Malaysia when they are available at home much cheaper and better.

Indians should understand that these cities / countries promote themselves so much here because they know Indians are biggest shoppers , If we spend money at our home it aids our economy and also MNC start paying attention to local market.
Fat lady in my company was talking about how Dubai is Tax free ...bla bla.

Oh yes it is tax free, but not profit margin free - is it?

I think India is doing a good job by not studying in countries like Aus. It was in the news that student arrivals are down by 50%, hence education business down. Loved it!

It doesnt matter regardless of whatever internal problems India has - that is pointless, because it doesnt mean people have to take sh!t when they are traveling.




Similarly, I felt insulted when i saw Indian janitors at Dubai airport cleaning airport toilets.


Last edited by aerohit : 17th January 2010 at 23:28.
aerohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2010, 23:52   #48
BHPian
 
harishnair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Quilon/ Sharjah
Posts: 512
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
NRI's always had a right to vote, or is it otherwise?
NRIs can get the voter ID only if they stay in India continuously for a period of atleast 6 months. There are ways around this like giving your Indian driver's license as ID proof while applying for the voter's ID. But even if the person has the ID he can only vote if he is present in India,there is no provision whereby he can cast his vote from abroad (for eg. postal votes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Similarly, I felt insulted when i saw Indian janitors at Dubai airport cleaning airport toilets.
Every job has its own dignity and there is no reason for you to feel ashamed. Its not only Indians who work as janitor, I have even seen people from arab countries doing this in malls.This cleaning job helps them feed their family and provide education to their children so that they have a better life.

Last edited by harishnair : 18th January 2010 at 00:01.
harishnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 00:02   #49
BHPian
 
aerohit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: India
Posts: 832
Thanked: 527 Times
Default Free Country - India

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
Every job has its own dignity and there is no reason for you to feel ashamed. This cleaning job helps him feed his family in India and provide education for his children so that they have a better life.
Depends on how they are treated, how much they get paid, if they get paid at all, along with their passports confesticated - then we talk dignity.

They should hire their own version of Bin Rashids to clean their toilets.
aerohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 00:56   #50
BHPian
 
harishnair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Quilon/ Sharjah
Posts: 512
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Depends on how they are treated, how much they get paid, if they get paid at all, along with their passports confesticated - then we talk dignity.

They should hire their own version of Bin Rashids to clean their toilets.
Dude you have an odd perspective of what is happening in Dubai. For applying for a contract in govt. entities the company should have a clean record and every employee should have a bank account of his own. The monthly salary has to reach the employees a/c by month end and the airport authorities do keep a tab on this. A janitor should be earning b/w 500-800dhs/month (Rs6k-10k) and the accommodation/food is provided by the company.The airport work timings are shift based and one guy should be working for 8hrs/day with one day off in a week.Where in India can he get this pay for what he is doing.

I do agree that some companies are there who confiscate passports as soon as the employee lands in Dubai.But new labour laws are being enforced and such companies do get blacklisted.

Also I don't feel that India is far ahead in the matter of human rights and work ethics. There are people here in our country itself who have to work in worser conditions for a lesser pay.

There are more than 1.75million Indians in the UAE and we form an integral part of UAE's economy & history, be it in the form of investors,professionals or laborers. So we have to keep away our narrow mindedness and realize the fact that we are world citizens. We should be prepared to go anywhere in search of greener pastures and no job is so small that you should feel ashamed of.This realization is the reason why you will see NRIs doing all kinds of oddball jobs which he would have never done back in India.
harishnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 01:35   #51
Senior - BHPian
 
Ravveendrra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,391
Thanked: 404 Times
Default Fly b(u)y (night) Dub(a)ious

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Even when I was a kid, stopping over at Dubai when flying from Nigeria for the holidays, I remember being freaked out. Probably because of the people in all the flowing beards and gowns but I remember my mom not liking Dubai either. She said it seemed too fake!.
.....
Just my point of view, but somehow working in the Middle East makes me think of a bird in a golden cage. Apologies if I've hurt anyones feelings.
Your sentiments (and your mother's) match those of many top global professionals and businessmen. Hats off to you for having homed in on this with unerring instinct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
....Those who think Dubai glitter is due to Oil are mistaken , Dubai has no oil ( their neighbors do have )their developmental model was based on service and finance industry and free port ( Singapore model)

.
Dubai did (and does) have a little oil. Enough to kick-start the process of development. The oil reserves are tiny, this is what prompted them to copy, nay try to beat Singapore at the entrepot game. Unfortunately for them, they were the typical nouveau riche kids on the block and the tacky OTT embellishments and showmanship made probable customers and investors wary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
Dude you have an odd perspective of what is happening in Dubai. For applying for a contract in govt. entities the company should have a clean record and every employee should have a bank account of his own. The monthly salary has to reach the employees a/c by month end and the airport authorities do keep a tab on this. A janitor should be earning b/w 500-800dhs/month (Rs6k-10k) and the accommodation/food is provided by the company.The airport work timings are shift based and one guy should be working for 8hrs/day with one day off in a week.Where in India can he get this pay for what he is doing.

I do agree that some companies are there who confiscate passports as soon as the employee lands in Dubai.But new labour laws are being enforced and such companies do get blacklisted.

Also I don't feel that India is far ahead in the matter of human rights and work ethics. There are people here in our country itself who have to work in worser conditions for a lesser pay.

There are more than 1.75million Indians in the UAE and we form an integral part of UAE's economy & history, be it in the form of investors,professionals or laborers. So we have to keep away our narrow mindedness and realize the fact that we are world citizens. We should be prepared to go anywhere in search of greener pastures and no job is so small that you should feel ashamed of.This realization is the reason why you will see NRIs doing all kinds of oddball jobs which he would have never done back in India.
Forget reading the article in the link in the original post here, I have seen and heard horror stories of what happens to employees (professionals) not just illiterate construction workers.

This is not to say that India or Indians are paragons of virtue but, Dubai is bad. Please stop comparing employment in India and in Dubai - for two simple reasons - 1. No-one is touting India as a golden destination and charging money to get people there. 2. India is not projecting herself as a "modern", "progressive" place that is "setting new standards" nor is India throwing gaudy places open to the public with celebrities from all over the world in attendance.

I sincerely pray that what you say is true and that every worker in Dubai and elsewhere is paid his fair agreed wage and is given decent accomodation, equipment, food, medical aid and transport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
... Emirates as an Airline is wonderful, i didnt know the country had such a dark side to it.
I have always discouraged people from using Emirates since I had heard enough about Dubai and its Dub(a)ious ways.

Cheers and god bless,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 08:08   #52
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North America
Posts: 960
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
Dude you have an odd perspective of what is happening in Dubai. For applying for a contract in govt. entities the company should have a clean record and every employee should have a bank account of his own. The monthly salary has to reach the employees a/c by month end and the airport authorities do keep a tab on this. A janitor should be earning b/w 500-800dhs/month (Rs6k-10k) and the accommodation/food is provided by the company.The airport work timings are shift based and one guy should be working for 8hrs/day with one day off in a week.Where in India can he get this pay for what he is doing.

I do agree that some companies are there who confiscate passports as soon as the employee lands in Dubai.But new labour laws are being enforced and such companies do get blacklisted.

Also I don't feel that India is far ahead in the matter of human rights and work ethics. There are people here in our country itself who have to work in worser conditions for a lesser pay.

There are more than 1.75million Indians in the UAE and we form an integral part of UAE's economy & history, be it in the form of investors,professionals or laborers. So we have to keep away our narrow mindedness and realize the fact that we are world citizens. We should be prepared to go anywhere in search of greener pastures and no job is so small that you should feel ashamed of.This realization is the reason why you will see NRIs doing all kinds of oddball jobs which he would have never done back in India.
One thing which some people here fail to understand is that India is a democracy, UAE is not. Power there is in the hands of a few people. If you're unfairly treated in India, you at least have the option of receiving a free and fair trial, whereas in a monarchy or dictatorship, there is nothing like that. There are no constitutional rights, no personal liberties, and you can be kicked out of the country at any time they wish, since you're not a citizen or an Emirati. The press will be censored, and you are probably not allowed to say anything against the ruling regime as well.

Remember there is nothing like a free lunch. Sure UAE and Dubai have enormous prospects for people from all over the world including India, to immigrate there and lead a comfortable life, but that's the price you pay.
sujaylahiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 10:02   #53
Senior - BHPian
 
DieselFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,569
Thanked: 230 Times
Default

I read another article by economist on Dubai. If what that article says is truth then Dubai/UAE is turning out to be a lawless land or land where the laws are highly biased towards its citizens -

Justice in the United Arab Emirates: What a muddle | The Economist

How true is the saying "All that shines is not gold".
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 10:55   #54
BHPian
 
georgev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KL-05
Posts: 233
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

i think the dark side exists in every country.(re: who west slammed us thro.slum dog millionaire) in my opinion , in the middle east i feel dubai is the most free land to live,worship etc..experience of people differ depending on the circumstances you are in.you need to live in your means. once the job probationary period over people start taking huge loans and trap themselves, then frustration starts. for normal life i have not experienced any problems in dubai. govt depts are pretty systamatic. over the last few years the income of people has increased like hell, those who made proper investments out of thier savings will be smiling now.
georgev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 14:32   #55
Senior - BHPian
 
kiku007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,595
Thanked: 1,198 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post

I have always discouraged people from using Emirates since I had heard enough about Dubai and its Dub(a)ious ways.
Is that needed? I have travelled in Emirates many times and can vouch for their excellent service. Should someone choose to travel in lousy Air India because India is a democratic country and Dubai has dark stories. Not necessarily dude.

Like any country Dubai also has it's pros and cons. Want freedom of speech? Please forget Dubai.

Otherwise lot of people are happy to make big bucks in Dubai, settle their family there without alienating their children from the homeland. I mean, education, family values are pretty much the same as in India, just a 3 hours flight from India etc.

BUT what I STRONGLY REGRET is the un/poorly educated Indians in HUGE numbers doing work that no Arab would ever do. The Food Delivery boys driving in the highways in puny motorcyles in the hot sun with bigger vehicles zomming at 100+KMPH is a dreadful scene.

But IMHO Dubai is not to be blamed. That's the way things work for them. People who adapt to this are staying there. I personally don't. So after my assignment there for 4 months I never had the idea of returning there.

Last edited by kiku007 : 20th January 2010 at 14:40.
kiku007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 12:51   #56
Newbie
 
az.shahulhameed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dubai/Tamilnadu
Posts: 17
Thanked: 0 Times
Default An NRI's perspective!

Well Fellas,

I know the discussion is long over, but I thought it just right if I chipped in it too. That was well spoken Kiku007, I vouch for his opinion on this state. Its not like I say everything the locals or the administration has done and is still doing is right! But I fear that is the best way they think that they can succeed. Arab hospitality is renowned, and an Emarati will never look down on you just because of nationality, color or any other differences from what he is. Exceptions are to be made as in any case. But the majority aren't that way. But the fear of being a minority in one's own country is always lurking at the back of their minds.

I have grown schooled in this country-state, but for that, I have no sentimental connection with the state. Its a different place now. Commercialised to the brink, only time will answer when the bubble would burst. However, for Indians and others who have their own businesses out here, we will have to go on, for there is no looking back. We have nothing to gain, and a lot more to lose if Dubai goes down.

What is in our minds could be similar to what was in the minds of the passengers of the Titanic just before it sunk. It isn't that bad, but for the business community, it is so. Anyways, a constructive thread nevertheless.

But but, one thing for sure, from a petrolhead's perspective, one gets to own and drive the best rides in the world out here.
az.shahulhameed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 19:10   #57
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,945
Thanked: 1,879 Times
Default Re: The Dark Side of Dubai

I am knowingly bumping up a 3 year old thread. This seems relevant, especially today. With India's state as it is currently, do we still feel staying in Dubai is worse than India?
Lets consider the prospects for various classes.
1) The elite, politically connected, influential class. Dubai/India is the same. They have the money and the clout to make/break rules at will. India seems better, maybe because its easier to break more laws, get cheaper servants and the climate is a bit better.
2) Middle class. Dubai is heaven because you get a tax free salary. Indian govt taxes you at 30% and gives nothing in return. Atleast the roads in Dubi are clean, buses work, metro runs, everything is airconditioned and one can have a peaceful life. India, every day is a struggle, with the crumbling infrastructure, crowding masses milling about, heat, dust, powercuts, corruption for everything, line for everything, worry about pissing off some influential person, afraid to walk down the road, drive etc etc.

3) The labour class. Whats different between Dubai and India? We get exploited here we get exploited there, maybe the saving grace is, we can save some money in Dubai and send it back home, and buy land/assets back home, atleast the children can hope to have a better life than what they lead now.

Sorry to have been harsh, but staying in India and calling other countries as exploitative is akin to the pot calling a kettle black.
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harley-Davidson Iron 883: Crossing over to the dark side alphadog Superbikes & Imports 16 9th September 2016 12:23
My side of the dark story - Akshay aka V1P3R Harrie Modifications & Accessories 26 25th November 2009 21:29
What it takes to own a modded ride - Part II. The dark side! mclaren1885 Modifications & Accessories 128 2nd November 2007 09:50


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:04.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks