Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 2nd September 2005, 23:14   #1
BANNED

Question Registration Plate Woe's

The other day I went to get a new set of number plates for my octy...as the ones given to me by my dealer look more like the ones seen on the taxi's that ferry around the call centre people.
While at the "artist's" place I happened to spot a silver coloured one.. which I though would look pretty nice on my Silver Octy.
Was almost done choosing them with a pretty nice font when the guy turns to me and asks me the strangest question.. and I'm quoting here "Do you go to Bombay often in the car?"
After getting a mouthful from me( 99.99% of which I cant post here coz of the MODS) I asked why to which the twit replied that this plate "Khaali Poona mein Chalega. Bombay mein nahi.".
Ok cutting a long story short... does anyone know what the "REGULATION" plates and fonts for cars in India/Maharashtra/Bombay/bla bla bla is?
2L8uLoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2005, 23:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

I know atleast that a silver plate will not do, the cops are stricter here than in pune...it has to be black alphabets and numbers on a white background in english only. About the correct size of fonts i dont really know.

But having said that i have noticed quite a few cars with silver plates in new bombay...and few others in bombay. Why to take the hassle of dealing with the cops in the first place...go in for the normal plates with good legible fonts.

Drifter
drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2005, 00:06   #3
BANNED

Drifter.. thanks thats what I was going to do in any case...
I have noticed the flagrent disregard by the public to stick to the plate type and font prescribed by the RTO... but then again.... who really gives a crap about rules anyway right??
Old 3rd September 2005, 00:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Oy! Weren't you on KC's case for breaking rules??!!

Where's my beer, yaar?
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2005, 04:55   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Silver plates r illegal, the only reason people put it is coz the number is less visible from far on a silver background as opposed to a white background which stands out more. But they are still very common in bombay, my friend has one on his silver RS and he has never had a problem as such. I dont think the cops can really tell the difference unless they really look closely.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2005, 18:27   #6
BANNED

Viper... dude.. your beer's in the mail... you havnt got it yet??? aw gee whiz.... I'll check up with the Indian Postal System.... you know how slow snail mail is right??
And yea I was on KC's case... and thats why I didnt get the silver plates... being the law abiding citizen that I am
Old 4th September 2005, 16:57   #7
BHPian

Exclamation Hmmmmmm!!!

Dude......... nothing looks classier than a simple-font-white-backed-well-spaced-out number plate!!!!
I've seen some nice cars with F*^%all plates.........speaks a lot about the owner.....his/her taste!!!
Ruins the look of the car!!!

Honestly......keep it simple......keep it sweet!!!

Just like the subtle simplicity in the lines of your Skoda......keep the plates simple too!!!!
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2005, 19:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

The silver plates wouldn't suit all cars. I have to say the white ones with a good font should be the best looking, but guys, itsn't there a minimum size for the letters, and they shouldn't be all that thin too.
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2005, 20:13   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund
Dude......... nothing looks classier than a simple-font-white-backed-well-spaced-out number plate!!!!
I've seen some nice cars with F*^%all plates.........speaks a lot about the owner.....his/her taste!!!
Ruins the look of the car!!!

Honestly......keep it simple......keep it sweet!!!

Just like the subtle simplicity in the lines of your Skoda......keep the plates simple too!!!!
I intend to do just that...
Old 5th September 2005, 10:01   #10
Team-BHP Support

Silver plates!! What's gotten into you! What next...21" spinners! In Gold?
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2005, 10:46   #11
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
hahaha good one there and add the convertible option too !!!! a convertible skoda...

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 5th September 2005 at 10:48.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2005, 10:55   #12
Team-BHP Support

Make that a suede lining for the roof!
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2005, 11:00   #13
BANNED

add to it a custom made "rangoli paint job"..and there ur car will surely attract a million staring eyes..
Old 5th September 2005, 11:04   #14
BANNED

we can start a thread on the most unimaginable mods to indian cars !!! what say rtech...no offence dude didnt want to start this about ur car but rtechs quote was irresistable, 21" spinners in gold,hahaha good one !!!
Old 5th September 2005, 20:16   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
I was seriously contemplating 19" chromed ones... you know for the car my PARENTS DRIVE .... RTECH:>
Mclaren... no offence taken at all... at least I didnt have a PURPLE OPEL... eh techie ole pal