Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 4th February 2010, 13:29   #31
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see people reaction of todays busday.Hope this thread has helped many people.
shishir_bn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 13:44   #32
BHPian

I used to be a regular BMTC traveller when my office was on ORR. Now that i moved to Airport Road, there is NO SINGLE bus which i can take from Ramamurthy Nagar.
One look at the crowds that throng 80ft road bus stop near Isolation Hospital on OMR makes me shiver. At any given time there are at least 100 people waiting.

Give me a BMTC which goes from Ramamurthy Nagar to Airport Road, i'll take the bus everyday....not just on Bus Day. A normal bus will do. You can have the Volvo.

I could use my office shuttle. But i hate those IDIOTIC MORON drivers. BMTC drivers are better.

You see, i have my excuses to drive.

-- Torqy
Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 13:53   #33
BHPian

Took a bus to office.
What noticed in the bus :
There are 2 people from BMTC in the starting point of the bus, who explain about the concept of bus day before the bus starts.
They mentioned that bus day is going to be a monthly routine going forward, that is 4th of every month.
rk_sans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2010, 12:06   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I beg to differ with some of the points you mentioned.

BMTC Volvo buses are quite comfortable. They are air conditioned, have good seats and good suspensions. I do agree that the older buses are not that good.

Bus services are much cheaper if you compare it with running cost of a 4-wheeler. If you compare with a 2-wheeler, there may not be much difference.

The way I see it, commuting in bus is safer than 2-wheelers and cheaper than 4-wheelers.

Using public transport make even more sense for those who need to cover long distances, eg Whitefield to Electronics City. The savings in fuel cost and effort (if driving yourself) would definitely compensate for the slightly extra commute time.

I feel the things which prevent most people from using public transport are:
- the long walk to/from the nearest bus stop
- lack of parking space near these bus stops
- the long waiting time for the bus
- lack of direct bus available from source to destination

Rohan
I was comparing the cost to a 2 wheeler, you do have a point that the bus is relatively safer than a 2 wheeler and less expensive than a four wheeler.

Another factor that could increase the bus usage is the lack of parking space at your destination. Maybe, companies should start charging for them to encourage people to use more efficient forms of commuting.
jaganm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2010, 22:41   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganm View Post
Another factor that could increase the bus usage is the lack of parking space at your destination. Maybe, companies should start charging for them to encourage people to use more efficient forms of commuting.
Don't give them ideas, they might start charging !

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 14:52   #36
BHPian

Shocking news

My manager for a change decided to take BMTC bus for office as its just 5 stops away from his house. In the next stop 4 goondas got into the bus and who ever gets down the bus they used to stand near the foot board and check his pockets and snatch money, gold. This happend today at 9am on the way to hulimav stop - sagar apollo, bannergatta road. No body uttered a word against them as they were huge. After seeing the scene my manager took money, watch, phone from his pocket and kept it inside his bag. When he wanted to get down he was checked by goondas and blasted for not keeping anything.
brraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 14:56   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
Shocking news

My manager for a change decided to take BMTC bus for office as its just 5 stops away from his house. In the next stop 4 goondas got into the bus and who ever gets down the bus they used to stand near the foot board and check his pockets and snatch money, gold. This happend today at 9am on the way to hulimav stop - sagar apollo, bannergatta road. No body uttered a word against them as they were huge. After seeing the scene my manager took money, watch, phone from his pocket and kept it inside his bag. When he wanted to get down he was checked by goondas and blasted for not keeping anything.
If they had called police(100) when this was happening then they would have taken care of it
Old 9th February 2010, 15:18   #38
BHPian

I don't think police will act so fast, that too on a moving bus. I have seen police people just walking away if there is any incident as such.
brraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 16:29   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
I used to be a regular BMTC traveller when my office was on ORR. Now that i moved to Airport Road, there is NO SINGLE bus which i can take from Ramamurthy Nagar.
One look at the crowds that throng 80ft road bus stop near Isolation Hospital on OMR makes me shiver. At any given time there are at least 100 people waiting.

Give me a BMTC which goes from Ramamurthy Nagar to Airport Road, i'll take the bus everyday....not just on Bus Day. A normal bus will do. You can have the Volvo.

I could use my office shuttle. But i hate those IDIOTIC MORON drivers. BMTC drivers are better.

You see, i have my excuses to drive.

-- Torqy
I agree with Torqy, BMTC needs to revisit/improve their bus roots. Ramamurthy Nagar is just an example, there are many places in Bangalore city, where you wont get a direct bus. You may have to get 3 buses to travel 6km, from my own experience.

Moreover on the bus day, I've seen huge traffic blocks on Old Airport road because 3 BMTC buses where break down in and around HAL.

Bus day is indeed a good initiative, but may be needs to be more organized.
wmanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 10:33   #40
Senior - BHPian

So bangalore guys ready for this week/month bus day??
Old 1st March 2010, 13:24   #41
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone commute from Sahakarnagar, near Hebbal to ITPL? What are the bus options? I know one Vajra 500DB which goes to ITPL but this doesn't look like it picks passengers from Sahakarnagar.

Any other options?

TIA!
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2010, 09:19   #42
Senior - BHPian

Did anyone tried the bus yesterday(4th March). It was BUS DAY. Did you feel any change.
Old 5th March 2010, 10:59   #43
BHPian

I take the bus every day (500 C/K/P or 505), from my apartment in Brookefields to my office on the outer ring road. It is normally crowded, but yesterday it was totally jam packed like sardines in a can. I couldn't figure out why, until I overheard some guy at office saying that he normally drives, but yesterday he took the bus because it was bus day!
johnjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2010, 11:30   #44
Senior - BHPian

Even I was going via this bus after the accident for almost 2 months. In between when I was late to the bus stand, the bus was actually waiting for me on the footpath. This happened 2-3 times. Then One day I was absent and the next day the conductor was asking why I didn't come and they were waiting for at the stop. I was shocked to hear that. But felt happy
Old 5th March 2010, 11:45   #45
BHPian

Yes I went to office via bus yesterday, and it was fun as I met my 2 colleagues in the same bus!
asethi is offline   Reply With Quote