Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 12th February 2010, 09:59   #1
BHPian

Default Considering a job in pune. Need Help !

Was in a double mind for starting this thread, but the amount of time i spend on this site and the kind of interaction and bonding seen across the team has revved me to go ahead with it.

Well to start with i have been in mumbai for almost 3 decades now and am considering a job in pune. Haven't been to pune much other than the casual weekends trips with friends for just taking our cars out for a spin. Other than that i haven't really experienced the daily life in pune. Have read a lot in forums round the net but nothing feels as close as TBHP.

Since i am single as of now and my parents would be here in mumbai, my confusion currently is the kind of expenditure i should be expecting, e.g will renting a house be cheaper or a PG, daily meals cost, casual shopping, hang out with friends (none as of now, looking forward to make new ones ), etc etc. In a nutshell start a new life.

My new office would be a pashan road, so most likely would like to stay near by. However, i have a friends place in kalyani nagar which is currently empty and has offered me to stay there, but again i m not too sure how far is that place from pashan rd and the time that will be taken for my daily travel (not evn sure the peak hours traffic condition).

So guys here i am seeking advise/suggestion/comments to help me decide and solve my confusion of whether to relocate or not
dar3dev|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 10:15   #2
BHPian

hi,

If your office is in Pshan Road,then the house rent in pashan is cheaper then kalyani nagar.
I am staying in pashan (with family) for last 4 yrs. Day to day life expenditure is much lesser then kalyani nagar or other area. Very peaceful sorroundings with no traffic at all.

i consider its heart of the town , as everything is within 10km redious. overall its a good area to stay.

And about Pune, i am staying here for last 6 yrs. Climate is very cool as banagalore, people are very frindly. But be awar of autowallla. .

No much traffic in comparision to Mumbai.

if you need more info let me know.

Last edited by KALINGA : 12th February 2010 at 10:17.
KALINGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 11:01   #3
BHPian

Pashan area is pretty good to live in as Kalinga says (definitely not heart of the town ) but yes you get almost everything there plus travel to Mumbai would be easier too than say Kalyani nagar by your own car or a Bus from say Aundh etc.

Kalyaninagar will be costlier in terms of rent and food options as well but has a lot variety in eateries and things to do. But same can be said for FC Road/Deccan which will be close enough from Pashan.

I stay close to Pashan and its one of the greener areas (less polluted and traffic wise better too). You can consider places like Aundh/Baner as well but they will be costlier again although pretty good areas to live in.

Let me know too for any more info you need about Pune or Pashan area in specific as I have spent more than 25 years in this city (which I love and hate equally!) 20 of those in the "real" heart of the city (near SP College lol!) and 5 now in the outskirts (ie Pashan which are still outskirts for me as I have been in this area when there was nothing here..)
Abhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 11:26   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
Let me know too for any more info you need about Pune or Pashan area in specific as I have spent more than 25 years in this city (which I love and hate equally!) 20 of those in the "real" heart of the city (near SP College lol!) and 5 now in the outskirts (ie Pashan which are still outskirts for me as I have been in this area when there was nothing here..)
I completly agree with you abhay.
If any one spent around 25 yrs in pune then Pashan,baner,Bavdhan etc are outskirts to them.
Even today the local people still call laxmi road,shivajinagar area as City.

because when i moved to pashan in 2005 there is nothing in that area except some residential appartments. before 25 yrs..i can imagine .

But now its changed mainly after the commonwealth game. mainly the roads in pashan have improve a lot.
Old 12th February 2010, 11:46   #5
BHPian

thanks kalinga and abhay, it gives me a better picture now.
Few questions thou:

- How much should be the approx rent for a 1bhk at pashan ??

- Should i rent a apartment or should i go for PG ?? In mumbai PG is quite preferred since tht cares of homefood, laundry, etc. Is the things same out there as well ?

- how much is the approx travel time from kalyani nagar to pashan, since my friend might just cut off the rent and can give me stay thr few months for free

I would be having my car so would be using the public transport only on occasional basis.
Old 12th February 2010, 12:12   #6
BHPian

For 1BHK the rent should be in 6k to 8k depends upon the appartments. For fooding , Bai's are available,they can cook,cleaning,etc for you. they may charge you 500Rs to 3k depends upon the work. You need to bargain with them.

PG is not popular in Pune but you can find one easily.

kalyni nagar is arround 15 to 18 Km. Depends upon the route you take. Its take 45 mins to 1 hr depend upon the traffic.

Best is leave for office early and left office early, is the best to avaoid peak hour traffic.
Old 12th February 2010, 13:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar3dev|l View Post
thanks kalinga and abhay, it gives me a better picture now.
Few questions thou:

- How much should be the approx rent for a 1bhk at pashan ??

- Should i rent a apartment or should i go for PG ?? In mumbai PG is quite preferred since tht cares of homefood, laundry, etc. Is the things same out there as well ?

- how much is the approx travel time from kalyani nagar to pashan, since my friend might just cut off the rent and can give me stay thr few months for free

I would be having my car so would be using the public transport only on occasional basis.
Kalyani nagar is more of a cosmopolitan area. There are shopping malls/restaurants/multiplex/jogger's park/IT parks etc. in Kalyani Nagar and all would be within walking distance if you stay in Kalyani Nagar. Also other areas like Koregaon Park (plenty of restaurants) and MG Road etc. are close by. But these areas are now very crowded and have plenty of traffic. In a nutshell plenty of options to hang out with your friends.

Pashan, as the others pointed out, is a much greener area because of the presence of Army, NCL etc. Less populated and less crowded. However you will have to travel a few kilometers to get to good restaurants, shopping malls, multiplexes etc. However, you will be very close to your work place and also very close to the Mumabi-Bangalore highway which will be a big help when heading to Mumbai.

I would suggest that you stay at your friend's place in Kalyani Nagar for a few months if he is offering you accomodation for free. And then you can evaluate Pashan area during that time and decide where you want to stay eventually.
pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 14:18   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post

I would suggest that you stay at your friend's place in Kalyani Nagar for a few months if he is offering you accomodation for free. And then you can evaluate Pashan area during that time and decide where you want to stay eventually.
thnx pjbiju, but then as mentioned by kalinga, the distance is 15-18kms and considering the traffic the travel should take 1 hours + one side. Again i m not sure about the traffic conditions, just praying should not be as pathetic as my current 1.5 hours B-B traffic
Old 12th February 2010, 14:26   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar3dev|l View Post
thnx pjbiju, but then as mentioned by kalinga, the distance is 15-18kms and considering the traffic the travel should take 1 hours + one side. Again i m not sure about the traffic conditions, just praying should not be as pathetic as my current 1.5 hours B-B traffic
Since its your friends place, you can always start your new life from kalyani nagar pune, give your self couple of weeks to judge the situation and you can always decide accordingly to shift to pashan/leave kalyani nagar.

Who knows you might something very intresting (for YOU) in kalyani nagar that will nullify the trouble of daily commuting
idea1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 14:54   #10
BHPian

Traffic will be a problem but not as much as in Mumbai (ie out of the 15 kms , 7-8 kms would be pretty good road/moving traffic)
Kalinga has answered your questions pretty well and I also agree with pjbiju. If you get a cheap accomodation to begin with (or free) why not take it and evaluate for a month or so. You can also check out rates in and around Pashan on the ground than relying on our info ;-)
Of course any help you need in this are you just have to send me a PM and I can even show you around.

As I said earlier, lots of things to do if you stay in KNagar but Pashan isn't boring either. Within 5/6 kms you have FC Road/Deccan and Aundh is very close which has tonnes of food/shopping options as well and also key is the exit to NH4/E-Way.

Last edited by Abhay : 12th February 2010 at 14:55.
Abhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 14:02   #11
BHPian

hello guys, this is just to update that after a couple of negotiation rounds with the HR, i have finally decided to take up the job and will be moving to pune. I also was offered to stay in company guest house for 15 days during which i can look out for the place !!

Hope to see you guys soon. Do PM me ur details and i shall touch base with u once i am there.
Old 19th February 2010, 14:42   #12
BHPian

Hi dar3dev|l. Congratulations on your new job! Just saw this thread today. Have been living in Pune for the past 19 years now, on Pashan road but moved out recently for studies but my Parents still live there. Pashan road is a great place to stay now because you don't have to go too far out for malls and restaurants since you have several on Ganeshkhind road and SB road which are very close (2-3 Kms). Also as Abhay mentioned Deccan and FC road are rather close and you won't find it difficult to pop around there to meet with friends.

As for your accomodation you can try Mantri Housing Society where you will find a lot of apartments for rent in or around that area. It is a nice place to live since it is a little off from the main road but still not too far. Rather safe, and also if you have your own car, it's not very far from Chandini Chowk or Sus road from where you can get on to the highway easily to Mumbai.

The rent for a 1 bedroom apartment could come out to anything between 6k-10k per month depending on the type of apartment you choose. Getting a maid is no hassle. You'll find several in that area. Also if you want there are a lot of tiffin service in NCL, who will gladly also deliver if you stay close, so you wouldn't have to cook.

I am not around there otherwise I'd be glad to show you around.

All the best for a new start.
Autonorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 16:23   #13
BHPian

Hi dar3dev|l,

Welcome to Pune.
Glad to know that you decided to move to PUNE.A lovely place to live.
Will meet you sometime. Even a small T-BHP meet PASHAN-Special.

KALINGA.

Last edited by KALINGA : 19th February 2010 at 16:24.
Old 25th February 2010, 17:21   #14
BHPian

thanx autonorm, that indeed was helpful. i would be wanting the tiffin service to start with.

@kalinga: Ofcourse, would love to meet my first friends in pune, the tbhp gang :-) and yes we can name that meet PASHAN Special

@idea: staying at kalyani nagar would be my last option, since the company is providing me the guest house for few weeks, while i finalize the house. Well. the interesting thing i would be in search would be a good mechanic and a garage to maintain my sweetheart, the 97 carb zen :-)

Last edited by dar3dev|l : 25th February 2010 at 17:26.
Old 12th March 2010, 10:02   #15
BHPian

hey guys, just to update !! I will be driving down on Monday 22nd March to pune and would be checking in the companies guest house for the time being.

Need your help in understanding the directions to Baner road, Tata Motors Showroom.

Colaba - JJ - Byculla - Chembur - Vashi - Pune Express Way - ???