Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 16th February 2010, 02:08   #1

Default Travelling from Hyderabad to Chennai, Need No Objection Certificate?

Guys,

Most of you might be knowing if one needs a no objection certificate or not to enter into a different state.
My thinking was I don't need. But right now I'm not sure.
Because last time I drove to TN and entered into Chennai, traffic police guys stopped and asked for NOC. I said I was on a temporary visit so I don't need one right? I showed the Toll tickets and he still said i need NOC. I argued with the SI and they gave me some temporary single day valid paper which they said i can show if any traffic guy stops me and asked to pay 100/- for it.

Now, I don't know if they tricked me but - Do I need an NOC to drive to Chennai/TN (from Hyderabad) for lets say I stay there and go around for 10-30 days?

And if i need one how do i get one? sorry if these are too basic questions but this is bothering me as I am going for another drive next week.
Swordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 09:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

You do not need any NOC for temporary visits. Cops love to extort money on this pretext. Just stand your ground if they stop you.

Last month, I was harassed by cops in Hyderabad city, showing them toll tickets and petrol bills did not help, they demanded Rs 200, but I put up a fight and they backed off. In India, it is a constant struggle to assert your rights against a corrupt establishment.

Last edited by hvkumar : 16th February 2010 at 09:47.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 09:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish View Post
I argued with the SI and they gave me some temporary single day valid paper which they said i can show if any traffic guy stops me and asked to pay 100/- for it.
If you don't mind, can you post the single day valid papet they gave you here pls?
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 10:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
If you don't mind, can you post the single day valid papet they gave you here pls?
Am sure its going to be a challan for traffic violation. They must have charged him with improper documents or something like that. You would have noticed a lot of times the Share Autos' in Chennai fined for lack of permit etc., they would not be fined again for the entire day for a similar offence. It is an ongoing nexus between the Share Autos & the cops.

In this case the Cop has pulled a fast one in my opinion.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 12:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Very true; but when you question them that you're giving a wrong challan for the case you're booking, they give a good answer "Sir, andha challan theerndhu pochchu" (that challan is all over) & that's why I give this instead. So what do you do in that case? He also says, if you need a new challan, lets go to court.

Last time they caught me for overspeeding (fortunate enough to do 60 Kmph on Velachery-Pallikaranai) the cops were very polite; Since I didn't have Rs 300 for fine, I asked a friend to bring for me; the cops told me to sit inside the car turning on the A/C man & I was like

I told them clearly that I need proper challan stating the cause & voila I got the challan & the reason stated was speeding at 60 Kmph. Was happy to pay the fine & drive away.

PS - Till date I'm not sure if that road comes under city limit & the city limit of 40 Kmph for car is applicable!!!
Old 16th February 2010, 12:41   #6
Team-BHP Support

Please post the paper the cop gave you. This practice is illegal, and violates your rights.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 15:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pypkmsrikanth
In this case the Cop has pulled a fast one in my opinion.
+1
Quote:
Please post the paper the cop gave you. This practice is illegal, and violates your rights.
Welcome to Incredible India.

It is absolutely illegal. But, any non-local registered vehicle faces the same hassle all over this country.
And I'm not even talking "non-regional" registrations here.
I've been harassed and extorted by cops in Pondicherry, Andhra Pradesh, and Karnataka. All these states are next door, for Christs sake!
I just welcome myself to India.

Of course, the flip-side is that we get to do 200kph(unsafe, of course) on our highways and if we're caught, its a legal 400 or 1000 bucks. It doesn't work this way in other countries, does it?
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 18:39   #8

Default here comes the full story

Guys, thanks all for replying. This forum is something special really.
People think I am crazy driving long distances. it feels good to hangout with a thousand more crazy fellas. sometime back met most of the Hyderabadi guys in team-bhp at 2 different lunches.

Anyway,
Ya right Welcome to Incredible India.

Now in continuation with the incident ...
I had the feeling that i don't need one(NOC). But they initially stopped me when I was taking a U-turn.

Local Chennai guys can understand this location:
I was coming from Vandavasi to Chennai (via bypass road). Destination: T-nagar for shopping.

There is this bridge when you enter Chennai - on the bridge you need to take a left turn to get down the bridge (kind of circles around to get down) to go towards Tnagar. I missed that turn, came down the bridge and had to take a Uturn to right and then a left to join that road which goes to TNagar. I saw 2 cops standing on the other side of the road before I took the Uturn. I don't know if its 6th sense but I knew I would be stopped. And as I was telling my wife, I saw then preparing to stop me and they did.

Their Argument - No U-turn.
Damn there was a U-turn and several vehicles were taking it.
My argument - There is a Right Signal in Green and there is No Board which said No-U-Turn. I was standing up right on my point.
They say: "Neenga ella padichi makkal(or some word) ippidi ee panra?" for others, that means "You are all educated people why do you do break signals like this?".
I replied - I am educated and that's why I took the U-turn HERE.
Never in my life i bribed any traffic police. I prefer to pay fine with a bill or even better my car being towed. Good thing is that no one is interested in towing - they prefer a fine.

I asked "If there is no U-Turn here, why isn't there any board." Figure this out guys - The constable said "Board Ille, adikida naanga inga iraka" - transalates to "There is no board and thats why we are there here" - Literal meaning i guess is "There is no board and thats why were are standing here and tricking people like you".

May be these guys figured out its hard to convince me that I broke the signal - and they started asking for the NOC. Heck I said you got to be kidding me? (I was all over TN for the past 2 days and no one stopped seeing the number). I am just vising Chennai and I have the Toll tickets - many of them are Digital printed and some even include my car number and time. They saw the toll tickets but they are not interesting in that.

They wouldn't listen. The bugger(SI) changes the topic of argument and asks how much did the car cost? how many kms? how much mileage?. I got irritated and said "what do you want me to do now?" Here comes the funniest part of all.... the constable shows his hand and says "100", "100 kudu". I said "Look this is not nice on your part and I wont give you even 10 Rs. Forget the worth of my car and forget that I am traveling with my family, I have all the documents and I didn't break the signal". Then the SI(the guy sitting on the cop bike) says look we are trying to help you here. You broke a signal and I wont fine you for that but without NOC you will be stopped in more places in the city so pay 100/- and i will give you a bill for today and you can show it if anyone stops. and this is where I compromised and got tricked. - its not about the 100 Rupees though. Its about getting tricked and ending up paying a bribe.

(in between all this, my mother-in-law opens the window and says "why don't you make a call your mama" - I said Not necessary they are behind 100 rupees and not that we broke any rules here. My father-in-law is a heavy weight in TN - but not 1% i had any intention of bringing his name. If i called him may be he would have said "tear the 100 rupee note into pieces and put it in his pocket and say have tea") - ignore this part. Wanted to bring up the whole situation that day.

Ok, so about that paper he gave me. I think I still have it in my car - not sure though. Will look for it today. If I have it, will take a pic of it and post it here guys.

And btw, my wife sees that paper later (which is filled in Tamil) and says - "what did you tell him? he wrote you are coming from Madurai." -- dont exactly remember if its madurai or something but it was way wrong. So, the whole thing is BS. But want to know what the heck that paper is. Will try to find it guys. I am sure you will all have a good laugh on it.

May be next time when someone stops i can show them that paper and say - hey i already have one so save your ink.

Back to square one - how long does one doesn't need an NOC?
Old 16th February 2010, 20:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

Swordfish, exactly the same thing happened to me in your city - Hyderabad - last month!
I'm sure the same thing happens in MH too for out-of-state vehicles. All over India, cops are the same
Old 16th February 2010, 21:47   #10

HVK, i didnt mean this can happen only in chennai or TN. I know these things happen everywhere for outsiders. The irony is like Nitrous says happens to you as soon as you cross your state border. It could even be in a different city in the same state.

anyway, the line i mentioned about local chennai guys, is about the location of where the Uturn is just to see if they recognize the place and say if there is a no-uturn or not.
Looking for that paper now.
Old 16th February 2010, 22:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Happens all over Incredible India. I have had such problems in AP, TN, been harassed by cops in GJ, PB, DL, HP, JK. Been detained by cops in BR, MP. Refused to stop for cops in UP, AS.
Old 17th February 2010, 02:18   #12

Guys, here is the receipt. I am attaching it.
Its in Tamil.
Also attaching the back of the receipt.
The offence he wrote is GP 07 which is "No U-turn". But thats not the real thing.
Even if it is GP 07 - the back of the receipt says Rs.50/-

What do you think guys?
Attached Thumbnails
Travelling from Hyderabad to Chennai, Need No Objection Certificate?-img_1085.jpg  

Travelling from Hyderabad to Chennai, Need No Objection Certificate?-img_1088.jpg  

Old 17th February 2010, 09:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Swordfish, exactly the same thing happened to me in your city - Hyderabad - last month!
I'm sure the same thing happens in MH too for out-of-state vehicles. All over India, cops are the same
Sir, don't tell me you'd to pay the fine.
BTW - I see all the states except KL. I'm sure someone or other would've visited KL; have those cops not harassed on the same lines? Just curious to know.

@@Swordfish - God!!! I don't see the violation being marked at all. The first page contains the details of the person who made the violation, I see the date 01/01/2110 (Good way to start the new year 2110 )

And also the bottom most part, Fine Paid Rs is blank that clearly states (applicable only if spot fine is paid) . BTW, your signature is missing too.

All the more, sorry to say, the back side (image 2) clearly states offence code GP07 as "No U turn" under section 119 & is not marked at all; all the more the fine for this violation is Rs 50 only
Old 17th February 2010, 10:05   #14
Senior - BHPian

@swordfish: You have my sympathies

The rule is 6 to 12 months (depending upon state) you can stay in a state before requiring a NOC and change of registration. I ran by DL registered car and AP registered Activa for close to 2 years and whenever stopped, I would tell them first "Tamil Terille" and then tell him that I have only been there for 2 months. If the situation became a little more difficult, then I would tell them that my father is a Central Govt Officer and we are not required to change the registration on every posting. Never once the cops saw my documents and deduced that the vehicles were in my name .

I think one reason you also got taken for a ride was that you spoke to them in Tamil and they must have thought that you were actually staying in Chennai with a outstation vehicle. BTW I had driven to Chennai last month and when stopped by cops, again used my trademark "Tamil Teriille". He just saw my licence and waved me off.

Oh, I'm now driving the DL registered car here in Hyderabad for the last 1.5 years without any trouble.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2010, 10:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I think one reason you also got taken for a ride was that you spoke to them in Tamil and they must have thought that you were actually staying in Chennai with a outstation vehicle. BTW I had driven to Chennai last month and when stopped by cops, again used my trademark "Tamil Teriille". He just saw my licence and waved me off.
MileCruncher, you hit the nail on the head - that exactly was the problem. I have also faced more problems when I've talked the local language, they think that you really live there and are bluffing. So, even if you speak the local language, don't!