Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 17th September 2005, 09:08   #16
Senior - BHPian

Its not possible for now ......for oil companies petrol is costing them more than the selling price
right now.....they are running in huge loss....the current price of petrol should be rs 60/ltr for the companies to make some profit...

KP
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2005, 09:53   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant_kingpin
Tax is payed by a handfull in a country worth 100 crores.
Last year, the IT employees of Bangalore alone paid taxes of Rupees 3000 crores.

One of the ways the govt can reduce the prices is by reducing the excise duty (changing it from % to a fixed value) ... remember a couple of months back when there was petrol bunk strike as the bunk owners guys were demanding a % of the sales as their cut and not a fixed rate of around 30-40 paise (i don't know what the exact figure is) per litre of petrol sold. This was because they knew the government is making a lot more money by using the % as a calculation.

The PPP (purchasing power parity) is another thing ... the purchasing power of 1 usd is nearly equivalent to 10 rupees. so, if you are on equal ground with the usa, you should be able to buy a gallon of gas for around 30 rupees (now, won't that be a good idea).

and even if you send the forward to everyone you know, there will not be a group of people large enough to come significantly close to what is intended to be achieved.

my 2 paise

s

Last edited by satan_crazy : 17th September 2005 at 09:59.
satan_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2005, 11:34   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
maximum one will pay is 1000Rs extra(which i think is piece of cake for a person who can afford 500LTr of gas/month).for the average user makimum one has to shellout 100 to 200 RS extra per month.now is that so hard
Easier said then done!

Considering Manufactures are foccusing more on Safety then FE then FE has gone down in many cars. With FE like 7 - 8 kpl that means with even 3 RS. Increase in FE that leads to full tank more expensive then around 150RS. each time and its already up by Rs. 6 so that means Rs. 300. And that would be for 50 Litres. So that would mean that if a person fills 300Litres a month the cost would increase by 1800, hence to RS.21600 At that price you can get a free K n N, Iridium Sparks, MSD Wires or a Pair of good rubber! Also in 4.5 years it would be around a lac. Hence increasing your runnig cost by a lakh!
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2005, 11:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

Its amusing to see how the Oil Cos simply pass on the additional costs to customers without doing any belt-tightening on their own. The retail cost of petrol is loaded with Excise Duty, Sales Tax and the overheads of these oil cos.

Those in the service industries will tell you that the oil companies are the biggest spenders and those who are ready to pay the highest rates for anything. While that is a worldwide phenomenon, at least the companies abroad own and operate their own oil wells and generate crude.

Our oil companies, on the other hand, are nothing but petroleum marketers who buy crude from someone else and sell it to us after refining (or after buying it from refineries). Which means that our retail price contains 3 levels of overheads - 1 by the oil producer, 1 by the oil exporter and 1 by the oil marketer in India (and yes a 4th level of overheads from the oil refiner in India). Which means at least 4 large companies make profit out of the oil you buy, AFTER paying for their lavish overheads.

Oil marketers in India such as Indian Oil, HP and BPC should be urged to cut down on their overheads. Most of these companies are highly overstaffed with overpaid employees who do very little, too. The first target for any price reduction should be the costs of these oil companies. The second target should be the excise and sales tax duties levied by our central and state governments. Assuming that Petrol prices have gone up by more than 20% over a period of a year and a half, the revenues of our governments have also gone over their projected amounts (Sales Tax of 5% on Rs.48 is obviously higher than Sales Tax of 5% on Rs 40, so figure out how much more your government makes out of every price hike). My feeling is that governments should reduce the PERCENTAGE of taxes and duties on fuel in a manner that their projected revenues remain the same without multiplying the effect of any increase in prices by the oil cos.

The international prices of oil are rising, but let us not allow that to be quoted as an excuse for the oil companies and the governments to loot us wholesale every once in two months. A sacrifice on your part in terms of extra allocation for fuel should be matched by a sacrifice on their part too.

Last edited by Steeroid : 17th September 2005 at 11:59.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2005, 12:20   #20
BHPian

One thing is very clear from this thread that we all want to do something about rising Fuel prices. Let me add my point here....

For me..its the Indian goverment who needs to be more mature, no matter anything we try..its not going to help reduce oil prices.
With more that 50% in taxes..you can stop buying petrol for few days, ask oil companies to implement cost cutting. Just not going to Help......

I read somewhere that revenue generated on Oil and Gas is something like 90,000 crore (not very sure) but one things is very clear oil is the biggest source for revenue generation and the gap gap between Oil and 2nd largest source of revenue is so big that any cutdown on oil taxes will actually have impact on Economy.
For years goverment has relied on Oil as major revenue source and not looking at other alternatives. Everybody knows..internationally Oil prices are going high and Tax % here in India are same, so revenue is just going higher n higher.
At somepoint goverment should decide target and then change tax policy accordingly..Mr. Finance Minister should take this as his Top agend in his Budget (I hope he is doing this already).
I saw one of the comment from CPM leader saying...Mr. FM had set target of 40% revenue on litre of oil sold but since budget, oil prices have gone up twice without any change in Tax structure and hence revenue will be actuually much higher that FM's prediction.
(On lighter note: This is the only time I felt I was with CPM as they have fair point here)

I don't know if I am reading too much into it....but I feel its goverment who needs to act soon before things go out of control.
vishaltanksale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2006, 11:30   #21
BHPian

Exclamation SEPTEMBER 22nd 2006 Don't Purchase a single drop of Petrol.. on that day!!

Dear Friends!

Petrol in Pakistan Rs17 per litr
Malaysia Rs 18 per litr
In India it's Rs. 53 per litr

Why this difference in Asia itself ? World Market CRUDE Oil is not the reason for this. It's all Gain for private owners? As we are the general public, or Common Man as R.K.Laxman wud hv said, we have to raise our voice, let's raise thru Emails.

Forward this to all Indians who care.
IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE DID NOT PURCHASE A DROP OF PETROL FOR ONE DAY AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME, THE OIL COMPANIES WOULD CHOKE ON THEIR STOCKPILES.

AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH A NET LOSS OVER 4.6 BILLION DOLLARS WHICH AFFECTS THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE OIL COMPANIES.

THEREFORE "THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 22nd " HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED "STICK IT UP THEIR BEHIND " DAY AND THE PEOPLE OF THIS NATION SHOULD NOT BUY A SINGLE DROP OF PETROL THAT DAY.

THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN BE DONE IS IF YOU FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN AND AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN TO GET THE WORD OUT. WAITING ON THE GOVERNMENT TO STEP IN AND CONTROL THE PRICES IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REDUCTION AND CONTROL IN PRICES THAT THE ARAB NATIONS PROMISED TWO WEEKS AGO?

REMEMBER ONE THING, NOT ONLY IS THE PRICE OF PETROL GOING UP BUT
AT THE SAME TIME AIRLINES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES,
TRUCKING COMPANIES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES WHICH AFFECTS PRICES ON EVERYTHING THAT IS SHIPPED. THINGS LIKE FOOD, CLOTHING, BUILDING SUPPLIES MEDICAL SUPPLIES ETC. WHO PAYS IN THE END? WE DO!

WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE.IF THEY DON'T GET THE MESSAGE AFTER ONE DAY, WE WILL DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN. SO DO YOUR PART AND SPREAD THE WORD. FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW. MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND MAKE SEPTEMBER 22nd A DAY THAT THE CITIZENS SAY "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH"

We forward so many junk email to many of our friends, now let us do
it for some useful cause to cut down the price of the petrol .. ...

REMEMBER : SEPTEMBER 22nd 2006 Don't Purchase a single drop of petrol..on that day
Pls "Think Of It ...............

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I received the above email today....
I donno till what extent its true...

But still i've decided that i wont buy a single drop of FUEL on 22-09-06
~ H O N D A ~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2006, 11:37   #22
Senior - BHPian

even though this might be true, whats the guarantee all this wont be sold the very next day then. do u think these people are going to pity us and discount fuels ? thailand fuel prices in august 06 is 25 - 30 baht. dont think malaysia can be close to 1.7 ringgit to a litre. i dont remember the prices though i was there in dec 05.
jesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2006, 11:46   #23
BHPian

as i had already mentioned earlier...
I donno how much of the email is true but we dont have to go on a hunger strike or anything like that...

Just dont fill up for one day whatz the harm in that....

Lets start GANDHIGIRI !!!
Old 12th September 2006, 11:55   #24
Team-BHP Support

So what? People will buy it a day before and a day later.

Quote:
IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE DID NOT PURCHASE A DROP OF PETROL FOR ONE DAY AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME, THE OIL COMPANIES WOULD CHOKE ON THEIR STOCKPILES.

AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH A NET LOSS OVER 4.6 BILLION DOLLARS WHICH AFFECTS THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE OIL COMPANIES.
Naive calculations! This would be true only if people really didn't buy that petrol even later, which won't happen.

Let me simplify this. Say, world has 7 people who buy petrol and each day of the week only one of them buy 10 gallons of petrol. Mr.One buys on monday only, Mr.two buys on Tuesday only,.... Mr.Seven buys only on Sunday.

One Tuesday Mr.Two doesn't buy petrol. And he waits until next Tuesday to buy his usual 10 gallons of petrol. Now, the loss of revenue to petrol industry is 1/7. However, if Mr.Two buys his 10 gallons on Wednesday or Monday to satisfy his usual need, the petrol industry will not suffer any losses.

If on SEPTEMBER 22nd 2006 nobody buys petrol, but buy it anyway next day, it is not going to affect anything. Only if everybody keeps off the roads for a week, we can talk about real impact. Otherwise, all this is very symbolic and nothing else.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2006, 12:03   #25
BHPian

The only way you can achieve this is to have a "No Automobile Day". It is a tough call but may work. Otherwise we will buy the fuel a day earlier or later.
Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2006, 13:31   #26
Senior - BHPian

However, if everyone were to not USE fuel for a day, it would matter to them.
Of course, nobody'd get anywhere, flights would be grounded, ships would be docked and lots of powerplants would shut down. So would many industries for direct/related reasons. Goods, both essential and otherwise , would not be transported. Prices of the limited local stock (assuming no earlier hoarding) would shoot up.
Its sad, but we're too dependent on fossit fuel.
zenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2006, 13:56   #27
BHPian

As for me... I have completely decided in my mind to settle for those friendly & domesticated beasts of burden.

I long term.. i prefer to be using bullocks or Oxen or horses or mules.. atleast make life for these animals.. I know what the animal rights people will be thinking now.. but I feel its completely justified to allow those beasts of burden to perform in thier capacity (not over burden)

Outcome will be..

- No nonsense .. but reliable ways of transportation..
- Learn to co-exist with other species
- Keep away from polluting the env
- you get much more intelligent /risk aware partners to ride on..

Even if there is no fuel around .. i would still buy 2 pretty & nice looking hefty ox .. to pull my honda ..

Or a have nice horse to take me home and office..and back..

I think this is our future.. and it makes more sense...too
four_tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2006, 15:48   #28
BHPian

Small sparks leads to huge FIRE...

Maybe on 22nd Sept 06 only few hundred wont buy FUEL...

This may not affect the companies in 1 day but could create a spark in thousands of mind (if at all the message reaches them)...

Anyways we cannot impose this thought on anyone nor am i gonna get any profit out of this then why do i have to justify it....

i donno how many of em are gonna follow this...

but im not gonna fill up on 22nd
Old 12th September 2006, 16:35   #29
BHPian

We have seen Providers i.e (service providers, sellers, etc) going on strike

So its now time for Consumers to go on strike .. not to buy..

its unique and very rare!!
four_tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2006, 16:53   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover
The only way you can achieve this is to have a "No Automobile Day". It is a tough call but may work. Otherwise we will buy the fuel a day earlier or later.
I fully agree with the above. Unless that bit of the petrol is not consumed at all, Oil companies are not going to suffer, as it is the question of stocking the petrol the previous day or filling up the next day.

No consumption is pretty difficult to achieve, it is as good as a bandh. Probably we all may use bicycles on that day!!!
goldsun is offline   Reply With Quote