Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 4th March 2010, 17:15   #196
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Guys a major tragedy !!

Today one of the forest water tankers turned over near Gundem killing two of the Chenchu trackers. Understandably there's a big commotion at Mannanur with the locals demanding compensation. The forest department officials have called me with a request to postpone the trip to another weekend.

Given the circumstances I could say nothing but agree.

Really sorry this has happened. Once things cool down we'll plan our visit. Hope you all will understand.
DKG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 17:18   #197
Team-BHP Support

So sad! May their souls rest in peace.

The trip can always wait.
DKG we completely trust your call on when the trip is to be undertaken.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 17:24   #198
BHPian

oh my god!! really very sad. I hope the forest department takes care of the chenchu families.

@DKG, will wait for your call on when we can go.
highwaylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 17:30   #199
BHPian

May their souls RIP.

Safety is the primary concern and in a fragile situation like this, I really doubt if it would be advisable to take that trip. Lets do it, when the time is right. Deepak, its your call and shall eagerly await for your inputs on the next planned date.
traveloholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 17:33   #200
DKG
Senior - BHPian

As sad as this turn of events is, there's an alternative which I would like to suggest. We can plan a day visit to Laknavaram Lake, 45 kms east of Warangal. The lake is spectacular, heavily forested all around, with a couple of islands in the lake again covered in forest.

At short notice we may not be able to arrange too many things at Laknavaram but the place is enchanting and definitely worth a visit.

What do you guys say
Old 4th March 2010, 17:36   #201
BHPian

i am game for anything to do with forests :-)

2008 report

Recently, the Department of Tourism constructed a suspension bridge across the lake joining the island which is an added attraction for tourists visiting this beautiful lake. The district administration had embarked on massive plans to convert it into a tourism spot and one could see personnel busy trimming the hills to lay roads around the lake. “This suspension bridge is first of its kind in State. In the next phase, it will be extended to join other islands in the lake. This is good spot which should be popularised,” Joint Collector K. Srinivasa Raju said.

Last edited by highwaylover : 4th March 2010 at 17:38.
Old 4th March 2010, 17:43   #202
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Here's what to expect. I found the place enchanting, gorgeous forest all around and a lovely lake.

Name:  Laknavaram1.jpg
Views: 1235
Size:  54.9 KB

Name:  Laknavaram2.jpg
Views: 7232
Size:  54.2 KB

Name:  Laknavaram3.jpg
Views: 2651
Size:  28.7 KB

Since there are no stay facilities we can do this as a day trip, starting early Sunday morning and heading back Sunday evening. Its 175 kms total to Laknavaram, 135 to Warangal + 45 to Laknavaram
Old 4th March 2010, 17:46   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
starting early Sunday morning and heading back Sunday evening. Its 175 kms total to Laknavaram, 135 to Warangal + 45 to Laknavaram
Why not saturday as planned?
Old 4th March 2010, 17:51   #204
Senior - BHPian

Really sorry to hear about the tragedy at Srisailam Forests. May their souls rest in peace and tranquility is restored in the region.
Quote:
Here's what to expect. I found the place enchanting, gorgeous forest all around and a lovely lake.

Attachment 300505

Attachment 300506

Attachment 300507

Since there are no stay facilities we can do this as a day trip, starting early Sunday morning and heading back Sunday evening. Its 175 kms total to Laknavaram, 135 to Warangal + 45 to Laknavaram
Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaylover View Post
I personally would like to go on a Saturday rather than Sunday.

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 17:54   #205
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok if you guys are game for the two day trip this side we can cover the area all the way upto Eturnagaram 200 kms from Hyderabad (on the banks of the Godavari) and back. Enroute we encounter dense forests around Tadvai.

The issue is stay. Neither Tadvai nor Eturnagarm has any stay facility which is operational. We'd have to camp out in Tadvai.

Last edited by DKG : 4th March 2010 at 17:55.
Old 4th March 2010, 17:55   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Guys a major tragedy !!

Today one of the forest water tankers turned over near Gundem killing two of the Chenchu trackers. Understandably there's a big commotion at Mannanur with
my TV9 friend just updated me. It not just 2 guys killed. I think there were 20+ people travelling on that Tanker!!! lot of people injured too!
Old 4th March 2010, 17:58   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Ok if you guys are game for the two day trip this side we can cover the area all the way upto Eturnagaram 200 kms from Hyderabad (on the banks of the Godavari) and back. Enroute we encounter dense forests around Tadvai.

The issue is stay. Neither Tadvai nor Eturnagarm has any stay facility which is operational. We'd have to camp out in Tadvai.
I don't know if all the people commit for 2 day trip. but if yes, may be we can come back to warangal for the night and then goto next destination on sunday?
Old 4th March 2010, 17:58   #208
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
my TV9 friend just updated me. It not just 2 guys killed. I think there were 20+ people travelling on that Tanker!!! lot of people injured too!
That's really sad. I missed that bit as my brain was trying to figure out how to postpone the program!
Old 4th March 2010, 18:00   #209
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't know if all the people commit for 2 day trip. but if yes, may be we can come back to warangal for the night and then goto next destination on sunday?
So what we can do is, head out to Warangal, onto Laknavaram, spend sometime there and then head out further to Tadvai and hit Eturnagaram. That's 200 kms. As you say we return to Warangal for the night and perhaps do Pakhal the next day and return to Hyd?
Old 4th March 2010, 18:02   #210
BHPian

Quote:
So what we can do is, head out to Warangal, onto Laknavaram, spend sometime there and then head out further to Tadvai and hit Eturnagaram. That's 200 kms. As you say we return to Warangal for the night and perhaps do Pakhal the next day and return to Hyd?
that sounds fantastic. but let others also give input.

wikipedia says this:??
Accommodation: A forest rest house with one suite and three tourist huts are available at Tadvai and ITDA guest house at Etunagaram.