Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 10th March 2010, 11:48   #331
BHPian

Default Some pics!

Nikhil and gang in DKG's ride while going inside the sanctuary in Jannaram.
Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-_mg_7588.jpg

The forest.
Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-_mg_7591.jpg

DKG leading the way.
Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-_mg_7597.jpg

A dried up stream.
Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-_mg_7600.jpg

This is all that is left here.
Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-_mg_7611.jpg

Very much concerned after seeing this plant, which looks like a desert plant. Is this place turning into a desert?
Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-_mg_7616_c.jpg

Early morning in the jungle on the second day.
Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-_mg_7653.jpg

A meadow very near to the highway.
Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-_mg_7656.jpg

Not sure if a NH is a good idea here. Noticed that as soon as the entry was allowed, there were lot of trucks plying and creating a racket on this road. Although no truck in this pic.
Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-_mg_7674.jpg

Sunrise in these forests.
Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-_mg_7682.jpg

Off to deeper forests.
Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-_mg_7684.jpg

This one was better as we had this pond, which thankfully has not dried up as yet.
Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-_mg_7697.jpg
Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-_mg_7699.jpg

Carvings of nature!
Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-_mg_7700.jpg

Some birds, not sure which ones.
Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-_mg_7708.jpg

The promising waterhole. This looked like a perfect place for wild animals to chill in this hot summer.
Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-_mg_7710.jpg

Nikhil and Abhijeet on the other side of this waterhole. This is where they spotted lot of pug marks.
Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-_mg_7714.jpg
saleem_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 17:28   #332
DKG
Senior - BHPian

The World Widllife Fund - India (AP chapter) is conducting a forest road cleanup drive on 21st March 2010 at Mannanur. I will post the details of the program tomorrow but basically a large group of people are planning on visiting the place to clean the entire stretch from Mannanur till Domalpenta

Its a day trip. People interested may please sign up. You will function in capacity of team leaders also as there will be many students etc
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 19:29   #333
Senior - BHPian

Saleem_K,
Good pictures of the place and nice observation of the flowers of the desert.
This is the same forest, beaten and badly bruised now,,, in very sorry times with water that will be gone this month end.
KAWAL was one of the best India had, just about a 100 years ago.

Deepak,
Your father still is a proud and grand gentleman, as a kid I had seen them and still remember the last of this breed here in Hyderabad.

Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 09:57   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
The World Widllife Fund - India (AP chapter) is conducting a forest road cleanup drive on 21st March 2010 at Mannanur.
As per the original plan, can we go on 20th and do a reality check of this forest as we did in kawal, and then join everyone on 21st?
highwaylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 10:16   #335
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaylover View Post
As per the original plan, can we go on 20th and do a reality check of this forest as we did in kawal, and then join everyone on 21st?
Will be difficult Raj as all the officials will be planning for the Sunday event. We can always do a separate trip along the lines of Kawal
Old 13th March 2010, 22:34   #336
BHPian

Hi all. I have been following this thread very closely as I was planning to be part of Srisailam trip. But since that was cancelled I attended other works of mine. Any way coming to the point, today we had a personality development programme of sorts in our office and we invited a guest to deliver the lecture. During the course of the programme I happened to know that this gentleman has worked as DFO of chittoor and other places, then worked in Irrigation department and is currently working on some water conservation something (I forgot that).

I mentioned him about the activities being planned by us and he gave his number as well as mail Id so that he could help us with our work. If we could draft a mail regarding our activities I would forward the same to him and try to have a brief meet with him someday. Once we finalise or scheme of activities along with the priorities I or some other person here could draft a mail and contact him later on.
vamsi.kona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2010, 21:00   #337
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Vamsi I am in touch with DFO's at both Kawal and Srisailam and we are trying to assess the most viable and sustainable method of ensuring perennial water supply to animals.

I do realise that there are many parameters that need to be looked at before we attempt any solution. All forest officials are apparently trained in conservation principles and are fully appraised on what works and what doesn't.

Nothing we do will be without the agreement of forest officials. At the moment almost all the forest officials I know have been most welcoming of our willingness to help out and seem eager to involve us.

Perhaps you could spend sometime with the gentleman you met and understand his views on issues affecting forests and wildlife in AP. It will definitely help.
Old 15th March 2010, 07:45   #338
BANNED

An idea comes to mind: Can't a couple fo borewells be dug up away from the core area and water pumped during peak summer months to the man made ponds which are near the natural water pits? The water will be of dual help, both to the wildlife and to the people working at the outpost.
zaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2010, 16:03   #339
BHPian

I read this news in EENADU (telugu) today. Four people were arrested in Medak forest area when they were trying to hunt wild animals. The sad part is two of them software engineers from Hyderabad, one of them son of IG (Police) and here is the ugly part - fourth one is son of one of the directors of WWF . DFO said he has received many calls from Delhi and other places, but he promptly sent them to the magistrate and they are in remand now.
Name:  14story12.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  21.0 KB

Last edited by highwaylover : 15th March 2010 at 16:10.
Old 15th March 2010, 22:30   #340
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
fourth one is son of one of the directors of WWF
Just think of how damaging that is to this whole business of NGO's and individuals wanting to genuinely help out. Now the forest department will look at people with even more distrust. Its so sad.
Old 16th March 2010, 08:49   #341
BHPian

DFO did a good job not succumbing to the external pressure... Let's hope some concrete action is taken against these individuals, which would detest others from following the same path.
saleem_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010, 10:39   #342
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunate!
This is one case on the news out of a 1000 that didn't make it.
Our wildlife and its prospects of survival.
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 10:36   #343
BHPian

News from EENADU. Adilabad forest officials sent a proposal to the govt of AP to give shoot-at-sight orders for the people who are felling trees and stealing timber from the forest. And the govt gave its nod immediately. lets see if this helps to save the forests.
Old 19th March 2010, 13:53   #344
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
News from EENADU. Adilabad forest officials sent a proposal to the govt of AP to give shoot-at-sight orders for the people who are felling trees and stealing timber from the forest. And the govt gave its nod immediately. lets see if this helps to save the forests.
Wow that's radical !!

The DFO Jannaram called yesterday to excitedly report sighting of a herd of Bison.

That forest most certainly is special and deserves the very best in conservation efforts
Old 24th March 2010, 08:42   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
The World Widllife Fund - India (AP chapter) is conducting a forest road cleanup drive on 21st March 2010 at Mannanur. I will post the details of the program tomorrow but basically a large group of people are planning on visiting the place to clean the entire stretch from Mannanur till Domalpenta

Its a day trip. People interested may please sign up. You will function in capacity of team leaders also as there will be many students etc
DKG Sir,
Have you been to Mannanur for the event?
srimath is offline   Reply With Quote