Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Do you harvest Rain water ?
Yes 62 43.97%
No 12 8.51%
I will do in future . 65 46.10%
I dont need it . 2 1.42%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2nd May 2016, 23:41   #106
BHPian

Default Rainwater Harvesting - have you done this? EDIT: Pictorial on Page 5

This probably is a very lame question but can educate me on this

there is a RWH project being initiated in my area of residence as well, they intend to collect RW from roof top and charge the ground water

While I understand this part, what I don't understand is, that the water otherwise was also released to the ground through the drainage system anyways and must have been charging the local water table

So how would this project help us in any way

Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP

Last edited by Anupam : 2nd May 2016 at 23:42.
Anupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 00:50   #107
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Rainwater Harvesting - have you done this? EDIT: Pictorial on Page 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
This probably is a very lame question but can educate me on this

there is a RWH project being initiated in my area of residence as well, they intend to collect RW from roof top and charge the ground water

While I understand this part, what I don't understand is, that the water otherwise was also released to the ground through the drainage system anyways and must have been charging the local water table

So how would this project help us in any way

Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP
Thinking how to explain this. Here is one shot.

Rain falls on your roof, you could collect it and use that water or you could let the water seep into the ground in your property. That way you are adding that water to your water table which could help increase the water in your well. Think of it as a RD. You are adding small deposits every rain fall which can be used when you need it.

When this water is let go and drained out, the drains usually lead to a bigger stream and then flows out of your usable area. For example do you know where the water goes? You are wasting a resource which is god given instead of utilizing it at its source. Rain water is pretty clean, when this gets mixed with drainage water it takes a lot of effort to clean it back.

To end this "little drops of water make a mighty ocean". In 2015 we built a 200*200*25 feet tank in our property. Many questioned the need when the river surrounds our property. In the summer of 2016 we used this water to basically irrigate about 20 odd acres of our land. The river is a dry sand bed as of today as we have no rains since december.

Hope this helps.

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 00:54   #108
BHPian

Default Re: Rainwater Harvesting - have you done this? EDIT: Pictorial on Page 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
That is exactly what happens in the nature. In concrete jungles however, the rain water doesn't easily seep into the ground and gets washed away through drains, eventually ending up in lake or a sea via a river. Only a small portion of it ends up underground. On top of it, the existing ground water is depleted by borewells. Hence the need for an artificial system to replenish the water table.

If the cities were planned properly with open spaces, parks etc along with strict control of ground water usage, there wouldn't be any need for RWH at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
In 2015 we built a 200*200*25 feet tank in our property. Many questioned the need when the river surrounds our property. In the summer of 2016 we used this water to basically irrigate about 20 odd acres of our land. The river is a dry sand bed as of today as we have no rains since december.
This is not the RWH in the correct sense since you are using the water for your use and not replenishing the water table. Many states in the US have a ban on rain water collection and the reasoning is that it affects groundwater supplies. But there is no clear evidence to support this justification and the jury is still out on whether this is good or bad in the long run.

Last edited by Jaguar : 3rd May 2016 at 01:03.
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 01:08   #109
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Jaguar: I do understand your point, just wanted to point out something. Rain water harvesting doesn't only mean ground water recharge. There are systems world over where you could use the rain water from the roof collected in tanks for personal uses. This is what we are following.

Coming to rwh being banned, I know there are states which ban it, but in india as there is no limits on the number of bore wells one can dig I think it's a bad idea. Let me just say your better off taking care of yourself in such scenarios as nobody will help you.

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 22:19   #110
BHPian

Our building has had a 'proper' RWH system in place since two years now. As such there wasnt much need since about 2/5th of the society are is greenery and flower beds so it does allow rain water to seep in and recharge the water table. Now while the resurfaced the concrete area 2 years ago they dug a pit next to the borewell about 10 feet deep with concrete rings and filled with pebbles. Water from the roof and concrete area is now directed into a channel that leads to this pit so even more water is being harvested.
Unfortunately due to our proximity to the sea the water from the borewell is really hard approx TDS 850-900 but luckily as far as I can tell it isnt salty or negligibly salty so it is used for flush lines and watering the garden
Mortis is online now   Reply With Quote