Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 26th February 2010, 12:26   #1
BHPian

Default Toyota's Defective Cruise Control System gives a man 8 years sentence.

Just stumbled upon this article during my casual office surfing.

'Toyota defense' might rescue jailed Minnesota man - Yahoo! News

Althou i am not a toyota owner, however would really like to hear from toyota owners if they ever felt the cruise control going out of control or having brake related problems ?

Mods: Pls delete the thread if inappropriate.

Last edited by dar3dev|l : 26th February 2010 at 12:32.
dar3dev|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 22:44   #2
BHPian

I have a Innova which doesn't sport Cruise Control. So can't comment on the topic but I don't think any Toyota in India has CC. (Err, does Camry or Prado have one?)
prateekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 23:25   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
I have a Innova which doesn't sport Cruise Control. So can't comment on the topic but I don't think any Toyota in India has CC. (Err, does Camry or Prado have one?)
the altis has cruise control, so does the camry, im not sure about the prado (i think it does) but the lc200 has it.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 23:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

Wow!I do wish the guy gets out of jail, assuming that he did make all efforts to stop the car when the cruise control went out of 'control'. With all due respects to the dead, the defective CC ought to be the cause, and not human error.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2010, 00:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

Is this the beginning of the end for Toyota?

In view of their internal presentation where a senior Toyota executive in the US of A has boasted saving a $100 million on account of avoiding recalls, I sure hope it is. It will be a lesson to other manufacturers who might be hiding similar skeletons in their cupboards.

This also makes me wonder what sort of 'quality' vehicles have they been selling in our country. Though I have no experience with Toyota vehicles I did buy a NHC in 2006 and sold it six months down the line as the car had a mind of its own when brakes were applied. At a speed of say X kmph it could stop in 10 meters or 30 depending on its mood. Thank god I did not ram into someone or something.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2010, 02:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

victim's family wants to sue toyota now. the prosecutor thinks case needs a second look.

anybody else thinks money and public's perception may be playing a role here?
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2010, 03:22   #7
BHPian

I know of a friend who pressed the gas pedal instead of his brake on a new VW passat in a parking lot. His car flew 6 feet and fell on the lower level. He swore he was pressing on the brakes. The 4 other friends in the car were convinced they heard the engine sound increase, and he was stepping on the gas. Is there something wrong with the VW throttle as well? Dont know.

There will be a lot of cases where human error will be involved, and Toyota will have to be a part of the investigation.
prasadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2010, 11:33   #8
BHPian

^^that a point prasadee, but then here toyota has also agreed on the fact that their batch of cars were faulty. So atleast for that a benefit of doubt needs to be given to the guy. Had been the case VW not agree to their faulty system and their had not been lot of compliants about the CC problem, may be then the driver could possibly be at fault. Just my view
dar3dev|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2010, 14:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

I use Toyota's cruise control system extensively on my Prado. The brakes on the Prado are already renowned to be pathetic... and coupled with ABS its even worse. I have experienced surges in acceleration on the cruise control. But I felt that was more of a natural function of the system attempting to maintain speed.
For example, you are driving on a flat even surface and you've set it at 100 and the road climbs up a bit or you are driving against the wind, the acceleration does surge in order to maintain the set speed.
I usually disconnect the CC as I brake or before I brake. Its a natural function for me now because I inherently dont trust these electronics.
But this article has me thinking. Maybe ive been doing the right thing all along. Who is going to prove that the system failed while I rot in jail for manslaughter. And this coming from Toyota, which is my most trusted brand does make me think about all the fancy car electronics thats supposed to make life easier.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 00:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
I usually disconnect the CC as I brake or before I brake. Its a natural function for me now because I inherently dont trust these electronics.
cruise control should automatically be disabled when you hit the brakes. If it doesn't, you need to get your car examined.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 00:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar3dev|l View Post
Just stumbled upon this article during my casual office surfing.

'Toyota defense' might rescue jailed Minnesota man - Yahoo! News
Now all the toyota owners who met with accidents or their insurance companies will try to reopen their cases and sue Toyota. But how the mechanic could identify whether sudden acceleration is the problem by checking the break.
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 01:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

The guy was driving a 1996 Toyota! If the problem existed that far back, Toyota has a lot of explaining to do.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 16:21   #13

I use Altis with CC and have not experienced anything unusual. However unfortunately I dont really get chance to use the CC for too long on Indian roads as I often encounter cows, buffalos,goats, and tractors coming on the wrong side. yes even on motorways sorry highways!
London Gujju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 21:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

nonsense!!
this is nothing but pouring salt over open wounds.
a man trying to blame his mistakes on a company already facing heat.
I have known of 'n' number of instances involving people pushing the accelerator instead of the brakes.
Cruise control on my camry is designed to switch off the moment you depress the brake.
if there is a problem with it, the vehicle ecu gives you advance warning regarding the situation.
a failure to assess the problem may lead to accidents.
vinaydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 10:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
cruise control should automatically be disabled when you hit the brakes. If it doesn't, you need to get your car examined.
I know that CC should automatically disable when you hit the brakes. It should have happened in case of the man who got sentenced too. What I meant is that i mostly disable it manually when I need to brake urgently and use the manual downshift of the autobox in coordination. All in all a 1/2 sec job, but almost guarantees better stopping of my Toyota.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 1st March 2010 at 10:07.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote