Old 3rd March 2010, 18:28   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Indian Navy plane crashes in Hyd

BBC News - India navy plane crashes at air show, killing pilots

Just read this news. RIP to the pilots.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 18:32   #2
BHPian

Just a correction, it was a Naval trainer aircraft (Surya Kiran) part of the aerobatics team - Sagar Pawan. There were 4 planes performing aerobatics in formation during the air show and were in a dive when the incident happened. The crashed aircraft seemed to have dropped like a stone from the air.

A really sad start to the air show in Hyderabad. RIP to the pilots.

CJ Video: IBNLive News | Citizen Journalist

Last edited by Ardy : 3rd March 2010 at 18:34.
Ardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 18:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the correction Ardy. Quite a sad incident to start the airshow. The BBC source says the pilot tried to eject but was caught in some wires. Does that mean the electricity wires?
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 19:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

Yes the Co-pilot got trapped in the Power line when ejected, the other didn't got a chance to eject.
wildon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 20:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Aaargh!!! Why does nothing work in this country?
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 20:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

About time that all old aircrafts were phased out! The Kiran Mark 2 is a reliable aircraft, and the best 'trainer' aircraft, but most of these were introduced way back in the late 70s, with little to no updates being done over long periods of time. As for other aircrafts like the Mig 21, those are good aircrafts alright, but its time they found their spots in museums all over the country.
RIP, soldiers!
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 22:53   #7
BHPian

Well, while carrying out formation aerobatics, the vintage of the aircraft does not really matter. You are flying the aircraft on the edge and every once in a while, you will cross the line...generally with disastrous consequences. The ac in question, the HJT-16 Mk II also called the Kiran Mk II is old, but has a very good flight safety record. While a technical defect at this stage cannot be ruled out, to start blaming the aircraft is a bit pre-mature as well.
The team of the IN is called the Sagar Pawan (involved in this accident) while the IAF team is the Surya Kiran.
From the visual footage available on Youtube, it looks like the aircraft flicked into a spin as the "bomb-burst" maneuver was ordered. Because of the very low altitude and the minimal reaction time, one pilot attempted an unsuccessful ejection wherein because of the low altitude, the parachute did not deploy. The other pilot went down with the aircraft. That pilot was Lt Cdr Rahul Nair. My batchmate in SSB and coursemate in NDA. Rest in Peace mate!!

@McLaren, mind changing the title of the thread from Air Force to Navy?

Last edited by neel385 : 3rd March 2010 at 22:57.
neel385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 23:00   #8
BHPian

Its all the more sad to know that the pilot is a batchmate/coursemate of a BHPian.
Ponmayilal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 23:23   #9
BHPian

I was wondering if this plane was equipped with Airbags (in other words - Eject Parachute)
aerohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 23:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
Well, while carrying out formation aerobatics, the vintage of the aircraft does not really matter. You are flying the aircraft on the edge and every once in a while, you will cross the line...generally with disastrous consequences. The ac in question, the HJT-16 Mk II also called the Kiran Mk II is old, but has a very good flight safety record. While a technical defect at this stage cannot be ruled out, to start blaming the aircraft is a bit pre-mature as well.
The team of the IN is called the Sagar Pawan (involved in this accident) while the IAF team is the Surya Kiran.
From the visual footage available on Youtube, it looks like the aircraft flicked into a spin as the "bomb-burst" maneuver was ordered. Because of the very low altitude and the minimal reaction time, one pilot attempted an unsuccessful ejection wherein because of the low altitude, the parachute did not deploy. The other pilot went down with the aircraft. That pilot was Lt Cdr Rahul Nair. My batchmate in SSB and coursemate in NDA. Rest in Peace mate!!

@McLaren, mind changing the title of the thread from Air Force to Navy?
My condolences, Sir. I can image how hard it is to lose someone who was well known to you. My respects to the pilots!
I've always liked the Kiran Mark II (right from the days when I had scale models of the Kiran, Ajeet, Chetak & HPT-32), and entirely agree on its reliability and track record. In fact, a friend of mine who's a Mig 29 pilot told me so much about the fun he had during this training days in the Kiran.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 23:36   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
I was wondering if this plane was equipped with Airbags (in other words - Eject Parachute)
The equivalent of an airbag for an aircraft is an "ejection seat" the details of which you can find in Ejection seat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. The Kiran Mk II is equipped with a Martin Baker H4HA1/2 ejection seat which is a 0/80 seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
My condolences, Sir. I can image how hard it is to lose someone who was well known to you. My respects to the pilots!
I've always liked the Kiran Mark II (right from the days when I had scale models of the Kiran, Ajeet, Chetak & HPT-32), and entirely agree on its reliability and track record. In fact, a friend of mine who's a Mig 29 pilot told me so much about the fun he had during this training days in the Kiran.
Thanks Nitin. I've myself had great fun this machine.
neel385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 23:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

@neel385
Two families have lost their dear ones, you have lost your colleagues, we as a nation have lost two brave souls, my deepest condolances on this tragic loss. May their souls attain eternal peace.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 12:04   #13
BHPian

So the investigation is why the parachute failed to deploy. From the reports i read, effort was made to eject.
aerohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 12:08   #14
Senior - BHPian

RIP to the pilots.

Whatever maybe the cause, casualties during peace time are hard to swallow.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 12:17   #15
BHPian

A very unfortunate incident. RIP to both the Pilots.

@ McLaren, I would request you to ask Mods to correct the title of the thread.
rishab.k is offline   Reply With Quote