Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 4th August 2012, 07:10   #136
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Are KFC / Cafe Day / Pizza Hut hygienic anymore?

Hygiene in India as a whole is a joke. Ranges from kitchens to toilets.
It is the tendency of the people in the kitchen to take shortcuts and not follow the proper procedure, and having next to nothing food inspection does not help the cause. If the inspector positions are appointed to, inspectors do their job vigilantly and not accept bribes to look the other way, food quality would automatically improve - starting from dhaba to 5 star hotels.
Only a few days back I was reading about malpractices like preparing chemical milk and paneer in some website.
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2012, 08:34   #137
BHPian

Had the misfortune of visiting the KFC outlet in Ranchi, JH on one my my recent trips. You can see the employees trying hard to keep the glass stain free and the floor shining. But once you enter you cannot miss the stench which is identical to what you get to experience at your road side chicken vendor.

I have never had a bad experience at KFC anywhere except at the one in Ranchi. The stink really is horrible. Obviously, they are not following cleanliness and hygiene guidelines in the area behind the counter (the kitchen) - and that's where hygiene matters most.

I'm going to bring this up with KFC management when I get a chance. Franchisees taking short cuts are spoiling the name of a really great food chain.
snkjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 19:52   #138
BHPian

Read that KFC at Trivandrum has been shut down because worms were found in a chicken meal. It's good that they were forced to shut down. Such huge lapses in hygiene and safety should not be tolerated.
prateekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 21:32   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta
Hygiene in India as a whole is a joke. Ranges from kitchens to toilets.
It is the tendency of the people in the kitchen to take shortcuts and not follow the proper procedure, and having next to nothing food inspection does not help the cause. If the inspector positions are appointed to, inspectors do their job vigilantly and not accept bribes to look the other way, food quality would automatically improve - starting from dhaba to 5 star hotels.
Only a few days back I was reading about malpractices like preparing chemical milk and paneer in some website.
Hygiene is indeed the last point to think for many of our hoteliers or owners of fast food joints.

Really as you said we all wish the corporation could take such matters seriously and heavily penalize such chains for not maintaining hygiene only then will things take a U turn automatically. Only recently in Chennai did we read about the rotten meat that is parceled from neighbouring states and sold of to popular hotels and fast food chains and this was curtailed to a limit by the food inspectors here.

Then what happens this news dies down and the guys are back into business doing the same thing again. The point is there is no value for a human life lost in such cases in our country.
zwift1819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2012, 12:37   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Read that KFC at Trivandrum has been shut down because worms were found in a chicken meal. It's good that they were forced to shut down. Such huge lapses in hygiene and safety should not be tolerated.
Heard that authorities found 6 months old chicken from their Kitchen
Latheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2012, 12:49   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Heard that authorities found 6 months old chicken from their Kitchen
Here are some more details:

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/kerala-wo...ors_picks=true

I find it surprising that this guy was the only one who found the worms. Does that mean:
a. He was the only one there that day? Unlikely
b. he was an unfortunate fellow to get the one with the worm in it.
c. he was the only one who looked into his chicken while he ate it. Others possibly didnt look into what they were eating. Ugh!
d. he is an early bird?

Last edited by selfdrive : 9th October 2012 at 12:52.
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2012, 12:55   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While he pointed to the worms, the KFC staff allegedly told him that he brought these chicken pieces from outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
d. he is an early bird?
His whole family were early birds, there was more than one worm.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2012, 13:23   #143
Senior - BHPian

Guys, if your wife is pregnant avoid eating at KFC or anyother similar joints.

Reason being, last time I ordered for my wife and placed the order too. When the meal was ready a very friendly employee told me that it is not advisable for preg women to eat.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2012, 14:15   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay
Guys, if your wife is pregnant avoid eating at KFC or anyother similar joints.
This could be because of added Monosodium glutamate in fast food items. Although side effects haven't been replicated in humans, it is generally advised to avoid MAG during pregnancy.
Parthasarathig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2012, 14:44   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

For all those nights me and my mates who picked buckets of KFC, drove to the Shangumugham and had 'em by the beach.

We couldn't even see if there were any wriggly stuff in there for cryin' out loud!

EDIT: I wondered how worms could survive the deep fryer. Then it was shown in the news that it was not the actual KFC, but the grilled chicken (Fiery Grilled) that had the wrigglers. So if you ate the deep fried chicken, it most prolly went in without putting up a fight

Last edited by Scorcher : 9th October 2012 at 14:47.
Scorcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2012, 19:41   #146
BHPian

Be safe and eat at home

As for chicken being 6 months old, the chicken was from Suguna Chicken who say their packed chicken is best before 9 months from date of packing.

Ah well...
deathwalkr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2012, 20:31   #147
Senior - BHPian

Last month,there was a news in the local paper about finding a Worm in a burger in KFC in the city,
but personally, i have always seen pretty hygenic environment in that KFC.
agambhandari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 12:35   #148
BHPian

Hygiene is going to remain an issue until the relevant authorities start charging hefty premiums.

One or two customer's yelling & shouting over a strand of hair\cockroach etc found in food will not shut these shops or make them amend their business standards & etiquette.

These joints will keep popping up all over the place & they may continue to serve unhygienic food too. But the point is, people will still continue to visit such eateries, until a point where they themselves don't find anything in their own food.

The solution is simple till then, cook at home. It's fun, really. Pizza's, burgers, french fries, it's all easy to make, even fried chicken. It may not taste the same as the restaurants, but even better :o)

I was over-whelmed when I started cooking at home over the weekends, but gradually it becomes second nature. Overall you will be more determined to cook more once you start getting the praises...."WAH WAH, kya taste hai", "fantastic food" :o)

Agreed it's too much of work\hassle, but so is washing a car, but we still do it right. Most of us would prefer to wash our cars at home instead of the car wash.

IMO, eating out should be the absolute last option. I am not saying cook a dinner & get it packed in a DABBA for an office party, you obviously cannot avoid eating out during such occasions.

Try cooking at home, you will be pleasantly surprised. Enjoy.
mb_jg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 12:53   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
but personally, i have always seen pretty hygenic environment in that KFC.
I agree that the outlet itself may be kept clean, but these efforts are wasted if the ingredients are stale or rotten. which is why the worm was found inside the burger and not outside.
no wonder some people prefer the 'fresh' food in roadside eateries than go for refried frozen food.

by the way, any chance that the worms could be born (?) inside the burger patty because the freezer does not have continuous electrical supply or is switched every night? In this case, the meat would thaw and refreeze again and again. so this could be an exit clause for the patty producer (Suguna?) as the conditions clearly state the product will last for 9 months only if stored at, say -4 degrees celsius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
Try cooking at home, you will be pleasantly surprised. Enjoy.
Totally agree! I think we are all just getting lazy
And google is our best friend here. I can find so many options by just googling the ingredients that I have available. It is also fun for the kids (and everyone else) at home to get some interesting options and variety, rather than getting the same burger/ pizza/ pasta (white/ tomato sauce) outside. and this is before I start talking about the so called Udupi joints and mithai walas, especially in Pune!

Last edited by selfdrive : 11th October 2012 at 12:57.
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 13:03   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Totally agree! I think we are all just getting lazy
And Google is our best friend here. I can find so many options by just googling the ingredients that I have available. It is also fun for the kids (and everyone else) at home to get some interesting options and variety.
Yep, I try out the recipes from Google itself. I honestly do not cook every weekend at home, sometimes I get fed up & feel like eating out, BUT, I stick only to restaurants I have frequented over the years, (e.g. Chinese room, Burger King, Arthur's Theme, George (Camp) etc.)

I have never ever faced an issue with food quality at these places.
mb_jg is offline   Reply With Quote