Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 29th May 2012, 19:49   #91
BHPian

Default re: Are KFC / Cafe Day / Pizza Hut hygienic anymore?

Ok until someone finds something. I was happy with Mcdonald until I happened to bite into a very undercooked chicken burger. I used to like KFC but I started to get a yucky feeling about pinkish borderline undercooked chicken pieces. As of late just sticking to chicken pop corn and boneless pieces. Its just too costly anyways.
Blue_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 12:47   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Has anyone seen a series on Star World some years back called "When cooks fight back"?
The cooks and waiters were secretly videotaped sneezing, and adding other dirty material to dishes served to extremely painful customers . Woww. I and my friends behave ourselves when we go to hotels.
I have worked at Pizza Hut as a host when it first opened up at JM Road-Pune. This was way back in college & even when that was the first Pizza Hut joint in Pune you really don't want to know what happens to your food in the kitchen. Trust me if you do, you will start cooking pizza's, burgers at home instead-which I do
mb_jg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 12:54   #93
Team-BHP Support

^^ I do want to know
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 12:55   #94
Senior - BHPian

My son and I visit a Domino's joint opposite MEPZ. We can see the pizzas being made from where we are, and there are no issues about what goes on in the kitchen. But the place where we consume the pizzas is none too clean. There are flies despite a pest-o-flash, the litter is not cleaned very well or promptly, and the sun roasts you through the plate glass frontage despite the ac. No better than a dharshani hotel, IMO.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 13:01   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
I have worked at Pizza Hut as a host when it first opened up at JM Road-Pune. This was way back in college & even when that was the first Pizza Hut joint in Pune you really don't want to know what happens to your food in the kitchen. Trust me if you do, you will start cooking pizza's, burgers at home instead-which I do
Tell us mb what really happens behind the counter to get those yummy looking pizza's and burgers

I guess with all these hygene questions about these joints, Tacobell is doing brisk business, they are certainly sprouting up a lot in Bangalore. Though not a big fan of these mexican fare but what it offers does feel more healthier than say fries and burgers
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 13:05   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
^^ I do want to know
+1 Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
My son and I visit a Domino's joint opposite MEPZ. We can see the pizzas being made from where we are, and there are no issues about what goes on in the kitchen. But the place where we consume the pizzas is none too clean. There are flies despite a pest-o-flash, the litter is not cleaned very well or promptly, and the sun roasts you through the plate glass frontage despite the ac. No better than a dharshani hotel, IMO.
Domino's has always marketed itself as Pizza delivery experts. They do not provide a fine dining experience at their outlets. It is perhaps their marketing strategy.

If you want a restaurant like experience, Pizza Hut is a better option.

I personally prefer Domino's over Pizza Hut for the taste.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 13:06   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
The preparation of food is usually not a problem, the way it is stored & handled is a huge issue. I wouldn't say that all contaminants going into your food cooked outside are harmful, cause the cooking temperatures itself kills almost all bacteria, etc, etc.
mb_jg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 13:06   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
I guess with all these hygene questions about these joints, Tacobell is doing brisk business, they are certainly sprouting up a lot in Bangalore. Though not a big fan of these mexican fare but what it offers does feel more healthier than say fries and burgers

I think you intend to say less junk than fries and burgers? not sure how refried beans with cheese would be healthy!

Even I want to know what happens indoors at KFC/ PH/ Dominos etc now that I bade goodbye to them.

By the way I made my first batch of pizza bases this weekend. Turned out very well though the pizza baking took a long time. I need multiple baking trays!
The next time I am sure will be quicker

Last edited by selfdrive : 30th May 2012 at 13:07.
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 13:14   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I think you intend to say less junk than fries and burgers? not sure how refried beans with cheese would be healthy!

Even I want to know what happens indoors at KFC/ PH/ Dominos etc now that I bade goodbye to them.

By the way I made my first batch of pizza bases this weekend. Turned out very well though the pizza baking took a long time. I need multiple baking trays!
The next time I am sure will be quicker
Yup i meant when compared to fries and burgers not when compared to fruits and vegetables (though these are also not so healthy considering how they are grown now a days )

All the best with the homemade pizza's would surely invite myself to your place once you perfect the art of baking a pizza
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 13:17   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post

I personally prefer Domino's over Pizza Hut for the taste.

Rohan
Agreed! We go for their cheese burst pizzas! A plateful of pure sin!
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 13:31   #101
AWD
BANNED

Found something, makes for an interesting read: Longest Ingredient List

Wish there were outlets that sell good quality non-veg food!
AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 13:37   #102
BHPian

For those of you who have found cockroaches, either live or dead, are lucky to have seen them whole. If you happen to see just an appendage of the cockroach, that's when you should get worried about whether you already consumed a bit of it or if a part of it is on your plate, or worse, on your spoon.

I wonder if finding species from the insect kingdom in food is more offensive to the vegetarians than it is to folks who eat meat :-P
k_nitin_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 14:01   #103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
For those of you who have found cockroaches, either live or dead, are lucky to have seen them whole. If you happen to see just an appendage of the cockroach, that's when you should get worried about whether you already consumed a bit of it or if a part of it is on your plate, or worse, on your spoon.

I wonder if finding species from the insect kingdom in food is more offensive to the vegetarians than it is to folks who eat meat :-P
That's just the reality-check I needed.

I love KFC and always did ever since it came to Bangalore, some 15 years back.

Now, I don't think I have the desire to dine at fast-food joints anymore.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 14:14   #104
BHPian

It is interesting that people are debating which of the three - Pizza Hut, KFC and Taco Bell - are healthier. All these three are owned by the same company, Yum Brands. They used to be owned by PepsiCo, then PepsiCo sold them to Yum Brands.
johnjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 14:16   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

I am a vegetarian. We have to recognise that this may only be a concept today.

Why
1. Bread in the west is mostly leavened with lard.
2. Bone charcoal is often used to filter sugar concentrate and fruit juice.
3. Cheese is made with Rennet to curdle the milk.

and the list can go on.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote