Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 30th May 2012, 14:54   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Are KFC / Cafe Day / Pizza Hut hygienic anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
That's just the reality-check I needed.

Now, I don't think I have the desire to dine at fast-food joints anymore.
Good for you.

That said, every other restaurant kitchen will have these kinds of issues. With KFC / McDonalds, probably it’s considered shocking because of the high expectations. Lower the expectations, and you will enjoy the chicken as before.

Quote:
I love KFC and always did ever since it came to Bangalore, some 15 years back.
Is it 15 years??!! IIRC, the outlet was in Brigade Road. I went there once for the experience. It was indeed a big decision-making process for someone on Rs.3500 monthly stipend to go and spend close to Rs.40 on a zinger burger and coke.

Wow, nostalgic memories of KFC – now served with feathers
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 15:05   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
I have once found nice crispy cockroach as pizza topping from pizza hut. After that i stopped ordering from them. These days i have stopped ordering from all these food chains actually. I rather get freshly cooked food from local eateries.
Did you bite into it ? Actually it might have been tastier than the usual pizzas, just ask Timon.

I cannot understand how people keep comparing these MNC joints to the local eateries. When I go to a bhavan, I know where I am getting into, but when i walk into a KFC or Pizza Hut (Who literally rob you (their price list always shows excluding taxes) and pay top rupee, I expect at least some non-insect infected food, is that too much to ask ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 15:06   #108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Good for you.

That said, every other restaurant kitchen will have these kinds of issues. With KFC / McDonalds, probably it’s considered shocking because of the high expectations. Lower the expectations, and you will enjoy the chicken as before.
That could be it. Also, I don't think it justifies the price anymore. A coke and Zinger now costs 3 times as much as it used to. And the burgers haven't gotten bigger, and the coke has gotten watery.

Add to that now, the feathers. I don't mind the blood, but the feathers really get to me.

Also, what k_nitin_r said made me throw up in my mouth a little.

Quote:
Is it 15 years??!! IIRC, the outlet was in Brigade Road. I went there once for the experience. It was indeed a big decision-making process for someone on Rs.3500 monthly stipend to go and spend close to Rs.40 on a zinger burger and coke.

Wow, nostalgic memories of KFC – now served with feathers
I remember we used to stay in Jayanagar 9th Block when I was younger, and that was the time KFC had opened up on Brigade Road. It's been around 12 years since we'd moved out of Jayanagar. So I'm guessing yeah, 14-15.

I remember the food used to be much much better. And a lot cheaper, and not unreachable to the general city crowd. And it used to be really, really good! I enjoyed the food a lot.

But it's just gotten so expensive. A good meal for 4 costs 1000 bucks, which is atrocious.

You rather spend that money on a place that serves relatively fresher food. There are places in Bangalore that offer a good lunch for 200 bucks.

Not that food anywhere is not pre-made really. That's again a misconception.

And that's why I've started making pizzas and burgers at home. Actually, my mom's a great cook.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 15:17   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob View Post
It is interesting that people are debating which of the three - Pizza Hut, KFC and Taco Bell - are healthier. All these three are owned by the same company, Yum Brands.
I dont get your point. So can one not be healthier than the other if owned by the same company?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
For those of you who have found cockroaches, either live or dead, are lucky to have seen them whole.
Taking that logic further, its worst not to find a cockroach at all?! sorry @suhaas307!

Quote:
You rather spend that money on a place that serves relatively fresher food. There are places in Bangalore that offer a good lunch for 200 bucks.
Not that food anywhere is not pre-made really. That's again a misconception.
I agree, its better to eat wholesome food than some junk. But we have to pick and choose based on current quality, not on reputation alone. I am beginning to rely more on my dabba everywhere. Soon I will be ensuring that I carry home cooked food on long drives. But for vacations there is no choice really. Better to eat locally than at these junk outlets. There was a time when McD was reliable for its quality across the world. Not any longer I guess.

But there is one more thing that grosses me out. Hair, human hair (hopefully it is human hair or the situation would be even worse!)

Quote:
And that's why I've started making pizzas and burgers at home. Actually, my mom's a great cook.
oh good I found someone. Can you let me know
- which of the two is better - active dry yeast or instant yeast?
- how long can I store instant yeast in the fridge?

I would be happier if your mom can confirm this, no offence meant to you of course!
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 15:30   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post

oh good I found someone. Can you let me know
- which of the two is better - active dry yeast or instant yeast?
- how long can I store instant yeast in the fridge?

I would be happier if your mom can confirm this, no offence meant to you of course!
OT: Well, my mum hasn't tried making the base from scratch. We usually buy ready-made Pizza bases from supermarkets. But everything else is done by us.

As for the yeast, my dad is quite the Masterchef himself. He is into baking breads, so he should know a thing or two about yeast. So I shall PM you on that soon.

Getting back to the topic.

How is the base made at these fast-food joints? Anybody got a clue?

I've been to the Dominos kitchen a long time ago, and it was pretty neat. We got a full tour of the kitchen. It was great working up an appetite. But even Dominos' pizza quality has gone down. I believe they just reheat pre-cooked pizzas. How else do they meet the 30-minutes-nahi-toh-free expectation?

Not saying the do it every time. But often enough to feel it a few times. And this is a general statement, aimed at all eateries.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 16:29   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Interesting topic. Im sure, ignorance is bliss in most of the cases. ...
Has anyone seen a series on Star World some years back called "When cooks fight back"?
The cooks and waiters were secretly videotaped sneezing, and adding other dirty material to dishes served to extremely painful customers . Woww. I and my friends behave ourselves when we go to hotels.
Being a so called insider, I know for a fact that this is extremely common. The serving and kitchen staff in most hotels (including multi star brands) are overworked, underpaid and under educated. If you have a fight with them / abuse them etc., they will retaliate in the only way they can since they cannot argue or shout back at a customer else their job is on the line. They do make sure they get their revenge by "tampering" with the food items.

If you do want to genuinely complain about the food or if the staff is not up to the mark, wait till you have finished your food / dont have food at the place.

I used to work at McD a long time back (mea culpa) and atleast in those days they were pretty professional. They have standards for everything (the temperature of the refrigerated van bringing in the raw materials, temperature check and caliberation for toasters, vats, grills etc, the time that a patty has to be cooked etc just to mention a few).
If the staff follows all the guidelines and standards then IMHO, the food would be hygienic and palatable. I do concede that the staff at the restaurant has no control over say the cleanliness at the butcher's from where the patties are sourced. This is something that the organization's QC dept should be more vigilant about.

In fact I remember that even the veg and non veg sections were separate and the staff working on them was not interchangable during the shift.

Then point is that I am not trying to defend these fast food chains but I do want to highlight that it is probably the lax attitude of the specific restaurant managers and staff that leads to incidents like this. If the standards and guidelines are just for lip service and publicity then obviously hygiene will take a back seat. We as customers too are to blame because of our chalta hai attitude. Just imagine if each customer who finds hair/insects/other unidentified objects in his food were to create a fuss and escalate till corporate HQ level / media, I am sure these outlets would prioritize hygiene over short cuts and even the quality control would get the importance it deserves.

Last edited by shreeps : 30th May 2012 at 16:46. Reason: Added some info on McD
shreeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 16:36   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How is the base made at these fast-food joints? Anybody got a clue?

I've been to the Dominos kitchen a long time ago, and it was pretty neat. We got a full tour of the kitchen. It was great working up an appetite. But even Dominos' pizza quality has gone down. I believe they just reheat pre-cooked pizzas. How else do they meet the 30-minutes-nahi-toh-free expectation?
Till a few years ago, I saw that Dominos got a delivery truck every morning around 1030 am or so which supplied kneaded flour (chilled). This used to be rolled out at the franchise, topped according to request and then tossed into the oven.
The actual baking was done in around 7 minutes max. Not sure what the process is now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
After that, we stopped eating the customary dinner we were entitled to after a shift. Aurora Towers coffee house became second home to spend all the tips
where I presume the coffee maker did not eat gutka. Or didnt have a cold
I thought its banned for cooks (not sure what they are called) in such places to eat/ chew anything during their shift.

Last edited by selfdrive : 30th May 2012 at 16:53.
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 16:47   #113
BHPian

Three times I ordered pizza form PHD in Banaswadi, and all three times I fell sick the next day. At the other places like kfc or Mac, the burger feels crude with the chicken just a lump of tasteless meat slapped in between two buns.

I like it better at AuBonPain where they add green chutney, onions, tomato, lettuce to my burger on request. The Indian way Aaaah..! The only multinational that respects local food taste ...

--R
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 16:48   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Till a few years ago, I saw that Dominos got a delivery truck every morning around 1030 am or so which supplied kneaded flour (chilled). This used to be rolled out at the franchise, topped according to request and then tossed into the oven.
The actual baking was done in around 7 minutes max. Not sure what the process is now.
At Pizza Hut (JM road) the person in-charge of the dough used to chew on Manikchand guthka. He used to wipe the drool with his bare hands & use the same to handle the dough .
After that, we stopped eating the customary dinner we were entitled to after a shift. Aurora Towers coffee house became second home to spend all the tips

Last edited by mb_jg : 30th May 2012 at 16:50.
mb_jg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 17:11   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Three times I ordered pizza form PHD in Banaswadi, and all three times I fell sick the next day. At the other places like kfc or Mac, the burger feels crude with the chicken just a lump of tasteless meat slapped in between two buns.

I like it better at AuBonPain where they add green chutney, onions, tomato, lettuce to my burger on request. The Indian way Aaaah..! The only multinational that respects local food taste ...

--R
Now that you wrote it I am beginning to believe that it was the Pizaa that spoilt my stomach this last weekend as we had ordered Pan 4 all which was eaten in lunch as well as dinner
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 17:45   #116
BHPian

All of this makes me wonder. Since these are MNC chains and very reputed worldwide, we put our hard earned money and pay a premium expecting some basic hygiene and good quality. When this is not delivered, we are able to make a noise of it and create awareness.

Anyone having ideas on how is food cooked at the local Darshinis or udipi hotels? I dont personally know, but Im sure it is even more lax and the place of storage and preparation of food is not hygienic at all.

When the videos of some Bhelpuri walla of Mumbai and his hidden activities became viral on the net, we used to joke that thats what gets the true taste of the food and it cannot be equalled at home.

Last edited by hrman : 30th May 2012 at 17:46.
hrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 18:58   #117
Senior - BHPian

Exclamation re: Are KFC / Cafe Day / Pizza Hut hygienic anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
At Pizza Hut (JM road) the person in-charge of the dough used to chew on Manikchand guthka. He used to wipe the drool with his bare hands & use the same to handle the dough .
Yuck. It cannot get any worse than this!!

Once at Dominoes pizza @ Karve statue squary near YCM auditorium, I went to order a Pizza. The person making the pizza wasn't wearing plastic gloves or cap and before sprinkling the cheese and toppings, wiped his sweat with his bare hands.

Some months back, on a Marathi news channel; in a sting operation, they had showed that local bhelpuri/paanipuri walas used to take water from a public toilet to prepare the paanipuris. The FDA caught them the next day and cancelled their licenses. So I guess whether it is a big restaurant or a small eatery, the food hygiene depends on persons running the joint.

Moral of the story: None of them is hygenic. It only depends on your luck whether you fall sick next day or not !!!
W.A.G.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 22:54   #118
BHPian

Talking about kneading dough, at a Mast Kalandar opp NGV bus stand (now closed) I once found a tuft of hair embedded in the jowar roti ... Yeeech!

This was like 2 years back.

--R
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 08:42   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

The hygiene issue mentioned on the dough making process maybe there in many other restaurants as well – especially since bread/roti is something which is very common in our regular restaurants.

But, I expect the MNC chains to have better QC checks compared to the local food chains, atleast for the premium they charge.

Last edited by vb-san : 31st May 2012 at 08:49.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 09:54   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I expect the MNC chains to have better QC checks compared to the local food chains, at least for the premium they charge.
Agree 100%. We shun many small eateries and visit international chains just because we believe they will offer clean food. If this is the standard they offer after charging Rs 200.00 for a pizza which I am sure will not cost more than Rs 20.00 to make, what is the point?
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote