Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 10th November 2011, 17:02   #16
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: When was the last time you had a complete health check up and what were the resul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Ah... I have been procrastinating on this one for a while. I am 42 and have not undergone any health checkup after my 20s. What are the recommended tests to be done?
A couple of weeks ago, I got the following tests done and is bare minimum recommended for everyone above 30 years old atleast once a year if not twice :-

1. Lipid Profile (Cholestoral test)
2. ECG, 2D Echo and TMT (Treadmill Test)
3. Sugar test (Pre and Post fast)
4. BP

Iam fine with #1, # 2 and # 3

BP seems slightly on higher side (135/90) and (140/90) and I am yet to do the TMT which is scheduled for Friday or Saturday.

I too got the standard dose of being overweight (which I am) and seem to enjoy my food too much for my own good
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2011, 20:24   #17
BHPian

Default Re: When was the last time you had a complete health check up and what were the resul

TMT is a good indicator. Sometimes your BP shows on the higher side due to anxiety ( like what will be the outcome ..... I have this problem )
bbops1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 12:32   #18
BHPian

Anybody got their "Full body" checkup done in Bangalore? Any "reliable" places where i could go and get this done? I don't want to go to big hospitals and they scare the wits out of me!
bond_bhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 15:16   #19
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: When was the last time you had a complete health check up and what were the results

Bumping up a pretty old thread, but I am looking at getting a complete health check up done and was wondering if there are any recommendations for places to go in Bangalore, especially near ITPL. and what are the mandatory tests that I should look to get checked for sure? This is for a 37 year old male and my family recently seems to have taken a liking to cardiac related illness as well :(
dass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 16:19   #20
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: When was the last time you had a complete health check up and what were the results

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
what are the mandatory tests that I should look to get checked for sure?
Most of the well known clinics do have packages to choose from for the various health check ups. You can choose depending on your need. But the basic tests like Lipid profile, Blood tests, Echo 2D or Cardiac Stress Analysis (not the usual ECG but one done on tread mill), Pulmonary function test (if you smoke), Eye/ENT/Dental Consultation, X Ray, Sonography (for fatty liver identification), Diet consultancy, General physician consultancy etc. The list is endless. It is generally a day's effort and would be worthwhile. Team it with your family members and you may be offered a good discount.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 19:05   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I read somewhere over the weekend that if you feel you are fine, then it means you have not gone through enough tests

And then a couple of days later, a TOI headline read that 1 in 5 (or was it 6?) Indians suffer from diabetes or hypertension. The study was sponsored by a pharma company, of course. And they managed to pay enough money to get their study published on the front page of a leading national newspaper!

Seriously! All these medical tests / health checkups seem just another way to fleece the common man (and their insurance)
Wow I have come a long way since making these statements!
Well, live and learn, otherwise what is the point?
Annual checkups , get em done!
Honestly, I started getting them done because my company literally pays me to get them done once a year. And I have my friends in office who do the same as well. But when they saw how off the charts their numbers were, even though they "felt" fine, they decided to make some lifestyle changes and started eating healthy and staying more active. And in that, I see that it has its benefits.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2016, 08:10   #22
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: When was the last time you had a complete health check up and what were the resul

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I started getting them done because my company literally pays me to get them done once a year.
Not just your company even the tax man will reward you for getting a health check up done. An amount upto Rs 5000/- is tax free and can be deducted from your total income for the year. This provided you have a valid proof. So in general you can get yourselves health checked twice a year (like I do since I have crossed 40) free of cost.

Quote:
The income tax rules allow for deduction under section 80D of Income-tax Act, 1961 for preventive health check-up. The aggregate amount you can claim as deduction in a year is Rs.5,000. The health check-up could be done for either the individual or her family, including parents, spouse and children. This amount is deducted from ones gross total income of the year. This reduces your taxable income and liability.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote